Personal Force Field (Let's give it some taste)

Solarverse

I know I will get wrecked in the mouth for this, but I feel it's worth tossing the idea out there.

First, I always felt making Force Bubble as the T9 was a bit silly. It sure doesn't feel much like a T9 in a PuG group type of situation because most PuG teams will have a fit if you use it. The range is so crazy big, it's hard to make it useful in indoor maps. In my humble opinion, I believe it to be a very situational ability that doesn't justify it being a T9. So this has always bothered me in that I have never suggested anything before against it because...well, because I couldn't see anything in the list to replace it with...until now.

Personal Force Field. This is yet another situational ability that I personally rarely use. It reminds me of the original version of Elude as to where once you use it, you can't attack, this ability might as well be the Phase Shift ability. So taking this in to consideration, I thought more on this.

That lead me to think of Deflection Shield and Insulation Shield and how it always annoyed me that I am a Master of Force Fields, I have such control over them that I can protect everyone around me by giving them their own personal force fields, I can even create a huge bubble around me that not only protects me, but everyone else around me as well. But for some reason, I just can't figure out how to grant myself Deflection Field or Insulation Field...that's a "doh!" moment if I ever seen one.

This got me to thinking more; why can't Personal Force Field be moved to the T9 spot, and Force Bubble be moved to the place holder of PFF, and then grant the user of PFF the ability to attack while using PFF. If the numbers have to be adjusted to compensate, then I am okay with this. Personally, I would like to see it act as a Deflection Shield and Insulation Shield all rolled in to one power and share the same numbers as those abilities, and have it perma, but I know this is asking for a bit much out of this community, so I will keep it simple by simply requesting that we move it to the T9 spot and have it act like a T9 ability by allowing us to attack while using it.

Edited by Solarverse

Honestly I find that FF gives me a lot of leeway to focus on my opposing Primary/Secondary and pool powers.
There's only a few truly "necessary" powers with a "take it or leave it" quality to the remainders.

My DP/FF Corr is a tankmage.
My Bots/FF MM is a pseudotank with lots of AoE.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

I'm pretty sure all the T1 powers are suppose to be either single target buffs or single target debuffs. So you could switch places with say force bolt but not the T9 power.

41 minutes ago, Hyperstrike said:

My DP/FF Corr is a tankmage.

That honestly sounds like a painful combo to (solo) level. I have a level 19 DP/Cold corruptor right now and other than my one primary hold the only mitigation I have are the two cold abilities, I can't imagine replacing them with just a ST knockdown and a personal force field that in reality ends up being just used as a travel power.  I mean it works OK  for my grav/ff controller because I already start off with so much crowd control. Well I guess you do get detention field, so once that goes online you should get a big jump in survivability...

Since the addition of the absorption mechanic, I thought it would be nice if it stayed a T1 power and acted as a "absorption-regenerating force field" toggle that you could attack with while up.

I would think at maximum enhancement it could give +5% Def (All) and an absorption rating of 50% of your health or something similar.   It could regenerate somewhere around 3-4% of its absorption per second, I dunno.  I haven't crunched the numbers or anything for balancing the powerset but one of my mains is a FF Defender and I can't foresee that being too overpowering. 

Just a thought.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Solarverse said:

yet my posts always seems to be a magnet for arguments.

No they don't!

😉

As it is... I don't think moving the two would be a positive change. Tweaking them, sure. On the Mastermind side, you can after all still "attack" (though you can't control minions) while in it, so the "only affecting self" on everything else with it has been superceded a bit.  Lower the defense a little (it should still be high defense) and allow attacks to get through - but at a reduced power (say, 15%) due to having to get through the FF. Powers that just affect yourself are obviously not affected.

Force bubble ... I don't see people complaining about *when used properly,* but the higher radius does make that more difficult. You run forward to keep someone under dispersion, and enemies get pushed back ahead of that.  Dropping the radius to the same as Dispersion bubble should make it easier to keep track of.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

On 9/20/2020 at 3:17 AM, Solarverse said:

Is it even close to what you would personally do? Like you, I love the bubbler set as well, but I have to admit, I very rarely use PFF as it is and take it more for the nostalgic more than anything else. How do you feel about the way it performs? Seems like I recall you making a post on it once, but I can't seem to find it now.

Now that I have some time to give a proper answer, here it is. What I would personally do with the power I have detailed in my response to the "Force Field (Cottage Rule Need Not Apply)" thread:

In short, I'd merge it with Detention Field and give the power the ability to make ANY target, self, ally, or enemy untouchable.

As for your suggestion? I don't like the idea of moving PFF to Tier 9 and modifying it in that way, and here's why:

1. Design Philosophy - When looking over the Primary powersets, if you're paying attention you'll notice that there's some patterns.
    1. Blaster Primaries get a choice at level 1 between two different blasts, one weak but fast, and one stronger but slower
    2. Tankers get a choice at level 1 between either a fairly "weak" auto power that makes them naturally tougher, or a much stronger toggle that costs endurance
    3. Defenders, being much more "variable" than other Archetypes typically have a choice between two different powers that are "definitive" of their whole set's playstyle.
      1. Empathy gets either a PBAoE heal or a single target ally heal
      2. Dark gets either a targeted AoE debuff or a targeted enemy debuff + Heal
      3. Force Fields gets either a Personal Force Field or a quick stricking guaranteed knockback attack
    4. etc. etc..... these abilities are representative of what the set stands for as a whole, and give new players a "sneak peek" about the type of playstyle they have to look forward to throughout their gaming session with that primary. Moving these around breaks that design philosphy. Force Bolt teaches the player about knockback, and PFF teaches them about damage negation through Defense Buffs, in the most extreme way possible!
  2. Playstyle - As an early level Force Field Defender the power to basically "hide" from virtually ALL damage has helped me INNUMERABLE times with...
    1. Travelling through areas that would have otherwise killed me.
    2. It's made it INFINITELY easier for me to solo, as I can just take a "time out" whenever I damn well please and the enemies I'm facing can't do SHIT about it, frustratingly whacking away at my bubble 🙂 !
    3. It's also allowed me to act as a "pseudo-tank" by jumping into mobs first and taking the alpha strike from the enemies while my teammates went nuts.
    4. It's also allowed me to take a breather and conserve my resources safely if I needed to.
    5. It's also helped me avoid a total team wipe with saving my own ass and then teleporting all my teammates back to safety... there's SO many uses for this power, that I find it a shame that you haven't found more use out of it...
  3. Personal Philosophy -
    1. The "Cottage Rule" in general I find to be valuable. Why throw away the design work of professionals that's been proven to be valuable, when you can tweak what's already there? That being said, if you're going to rework things, if there's a REALLY good reason to do so.
    2. I don't like the idea of changing PFF to make a Force Field user into essentially a "Sentinel-lite". I just like the "on/off" nature of the power, and I personally LIKE the inherent danger that comes with being "squishier" than my teammates. Honestly, it thrills me and keeps me on my toes, it almost makes the game "hard mode" for me compare to my teammates, which I enjoy thoroughly. Consider it a martyr complex, but I like being on the razor's edge where I'm hurting but my team is doing just fine because of the benefits that my powers are bringing to the team!

Edited by The Philotic Knight
  • Like 2
I'm out.

1 hour ago, The Philotic Knight said:

Now that I have some time to give a proper answer, here it is. What I would personally do with the power I have detailed in my response to the "Force Field (Cottage Rule Need Not Apply)" thread:

First, I very much appreciate you taking the time out to talk about this. I don't think I have to tell you that I have a lot of respect for you when it comes to the subject of Force Fields...among other things. I'm going to try and respond as best I can to help clarify where my mind is. Not so much an argument, but more of an explanation in response to your inquiries as well as comment on your thoughts.

In short, I'd merge it with Detention Field and give the power the ability to make ANY target, self, ally, or enemy untouchable.

This right here is straight up awesome...I am really digging this idea and it would give me a real reason to put Detention Field in my build. +1 to this.

As for your suggestion? I don't like the idea of moving PFF to Tier 9 and modifying it in that way, and here's why:

1. Design Philosophy - When looking over the Primary powersets, if you're paying attention you'll notice that there's some patterns.
    1. Blaster Primaries get a choice at level 1 between two different blasts, one weak but fast, and one stronger but slower
    2. Tankers get a choice at level 1 between either a fairly "weak" auto power that makes them naturally tougher, or a much stronger toggle that costs endurance
    3. Defenders, being much more "variable" than other Archetypes typically have a choice between two different powers that are "definitive" of their whole set's playstyle.
      1. Empathy gets either a PBAoE heal or a single target ally heal
      2. Dark gets either a targeted AoE debuff or a targeted enemy debuff + Heal
      3. Force Fields gets either a Personal Force Field or a quick stricking guaranteed knockback attack
    4. etc. etc..... these abilities are representative of what the set stands for as a whole, and give new players a "sneak peek" about the type of playstyle they have to look forward to throughout their gaming session with that primary. Moving these around breaks that design philosphy. Force Bolt teaches the player about knockback, and PFF teaches them about damage negation through Defense Buffs, in the most extreme way possible.
  2. Playstyle - As an early level Force Field Defender the power to basically "hide" from virtually ALL damage has helped me INNUMERABLE times with...
    1. Travelling through areas that would have otherwise killed me.
    2. It's made it INFINITELY easier for me to solo, as I can just take a "time out" whenever I damn well please and the enemies I'm facing can't do SHIT about it, frustratingly whacking away at my bubble 🙂 !
    3. It's also allowed me to act as a "pseudo-tank" by jumping into mobs first and taking the alpha strike from the enemies while my teammates went nuts.
    4. It's also allowed me to take a breather and conserve my resources safely if I needed to.
    5. It's also helped me avoid a total team wipe with saving my own ass and then teleporting all my teammates back to safety... there's SO many uses for this power, that I find it a shame that you haven't found more use out of it...
  3. Personal Philosophy -
    1. The "Cottage Rule" in general I find to be valuable. Why throw away the design work of professionals that's been proven to be valuable, when you can tweak what's already there? That being said, if you're going to rework things, if there's a REALLY good reason to do so.
    2. I don't like the idea of changing PFF to make a Force Field user into essentially a "Sentinel-lite". I just like the "on/off" nature of the power, and I personally LIKE the inherent danger that comes with being "squishier" than my teammates. Honestly, it thrills me and keeps me on my toes, it almost makes the game "hard mode" for me compare to my teammates, which I enjoy thoroughly. Consider it a martyr complex, but I like being on the razor's edge where I'm hurting but my team is doing just fine because of the benefits that my powers are bringing to the team!

Replies to cover listed.

1. 1-4: I am probably wrong, but the reason I am going against that philosophy with my idea is because the way the game has changed since release due to mechanics changing over time and the way people play now in comparison to then, I personally feel that the mechanic philosophy that was implemented by the OG Devs at and since issue #1, has become outdated for today's current game.  I am not disagreeing with your statement as your deduction of why those powers are placed where they currently are, this rings absolutely true with me. I simply question if the game and players have changed to a point where that philosophy no longer applies?

2. 1-4: I do agree that it has its uses, particularly at lower levels. However, with IO's these days, my Defender is at passed the soft cap for Defense and at cap for Resist to Smashing/Lethal Damage. My Defense although not equal to PFF, is basically equal to PFF due to the soft cap Defense to All and cap for Defenders to Resist on S/L Damage. I'll post my build at the bottom of this reply. I feel if PFF could be made a T9 and/or be made to act like Deflection/Insulation Shield for yourself, it would free my build up to allow a bit more creativity.

2. 5: I think once you see my build, you may understand why I feel PFF as it stands now has very little use to me.

3. 2: I can see that, trust me when I say I do enjoy a challenge and very much miss the challenge this game once posed to me...these days it's very easy unless I purposely gimp myself and only solo. Any time a team gets involved, the challenge drops. I can most certainly vibe with you there.

Keep in mind, none of this is an argument but rather an explanation to where my mind is. I guess an explanation to the method behind the madness, heh.  😄

My Force Field Defender build is below.

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.1.25
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Emerald Sphere: Level 50 Magic Defender
Primary Power Set: Force Field
Secondary Power Set: Psychic Blast
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Psychic Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Deflection Shield -- GifoftheA-Def/EndRdx(A), GifoftheA-Def/Rchg(17), GifoftheA-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(19), GifoftheA-Def(19), GifoftheA-EndRdx/Rchg(21)
Level 1: Mental Blast -- SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBst-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprDfnBst-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(3), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5)
Level 2: Subdue -- SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg(A), SprVglAss-Dmg/Rchg(7), SprVglAss-Rchg/+Absorb(7), SprVglAss-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(9), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(9), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11)
Level 4: Psionic Lance -- ExtMsr-Acc/Dmg(A), ExtMsr-Acc/Rng/Rchg(13), ExtMsr-Dmg/EndRdx(25), ExtMsr-Acc/ActRdx/Rng(34), ExtMsr-Dmg/ActRdx/Rchg(34), ExtMsr-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34)
Level 6: Insulation Shield -- GifoftheA-Def/EndRdx(A), GifoftheA-Def(11), GifoftheA-Def/Rchg(21), GifoftheA-EndRdx/Rchg(23), GifoftheA-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(23)
Level 8: Force Bolt -- Acc-I(A)
Level 10: Fly -- Flight-I(A)
Level 12: Dispersion Bubble -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(13), LucoftheG-Def(15), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(15), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(17)
Level 14: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 16: Telekinetic Blast -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(25), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(36), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(36), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(37)
Level 18: Afterburner -- Rct-ResDam%(A)
Level 20: Will Domination -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(39), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(29), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(39)
Level 22: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 24: Super Jump -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 26: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(27), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(27), LucoftheG-Def(29)
Level 28: Psionic Tornado -- Ann-Acc/Dmg(A), Ann-ResDeb%(31), Ann-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), Ann-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), Ann-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), Ann-Dmg/Rchg(42)
Level 30: Tactics -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(31), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(31), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(33), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(33), GssSynFr--Build%(33)
Level 32: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 35: Dominate -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(37), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(48), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(50)
Level 38: Psychic Wail -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(42), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(43), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(50)
Level 41: Mind Over Body -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(42), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(43), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(43)
Level 44: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(45), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(45), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(45), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(46)
Level 47: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(48), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(48), LucoftheG-Def(50)
Level 49: Force Bubble -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Quick Form
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Run-I(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Vigilance
Level 2: Rest -- EndMod-I(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A)
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
Level 0: Portal Jockey
Level 0: Task Force Commander
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion
Level 50: Agility Core Paragon
Level 50: Support Core Embodiment
------------
------------
Set Bonus Totals:

• 8.5% DamageBuff(Smashing)
  • 8.5% DamageBuff(Lethal)
  • 8.5% DamageBuff(Fire)
  • 8.5% DamageBuff(Cold)
  • 8.5% DamageBuff(Energy)
  • 8.5% DamageBuff(Negative)
  • 8.5% DamageBuff(Toxic)
  • 8.5% DamageBuff(Psionic)
  • 11.13% Defense(Smashing)
  • 11.13% Defense(Lethal)
  • 14.88% Defense(Fire)
  • 14.88% Defense(Cold)
  • 18% Defense(Energy)
  • 18% Defense(Negative)
  • 3% Defense(Psionic)
  • 19.25% Defense(Melee)
  • 18% Defense(Ranged)
  • 19.25% Defense(AoE)
  • 8.55% Max End
  • 47.5% Enhancement(RechargeTime)
  • 56% Enhancement(Accuracy)
  • 8% Enhancement(Max EnduranceDiscount)
  • 8% Enhancement(Heal)
  • 10% Enhancement(Range)
  • 19.5% SpeedFlying
  • 99.19 HP (9.75%) HitPoints
  • 19.5% JumpHeight
  • 19.5% SpeedJumping
  • MezResist(Confused) 51.25%
  • MezResist(Held) 51.25%
  • MezResist(Immobilized) 51.25%
  • MezResist(Sleep) 51.25%
  • MezResist(Stunned) 51.25%
  • MezResist(Terrorized) 51.25%
  • 20% (0.33 End/sec) Recovery
  • 40% (1.7 HP/sec) Regeneration
  • 50% ResEffect(SpeedFlying)
  • 50% ResEffect(RechargeTime)
  • 50% ResEffect(SpeedRunning)
  • 8% Resistance(Smashing)
  • 24.5% Resistance(Fire)
  • 24.5% Resistance(Cold)
  • 22.25% Resistance(Energy)
  • 22.25% Resistance(Negative)
  • 8% Resistance(Toxic)
  • 8% Resistance(Psionic)
  • 8% Resistance(Lethal)
  • 19.5% SpeedRunning

| Copy & Paste this data into Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer to view the build |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
|MxDz;1545;695;1390;HEX;|
|78DA6594594F13611885BFA1534B5B9656A065ABEC5B29A523786D8280898069F4D|
|A34B59D2EA640D3622297FE0FD98C0BA8F1C2ED0F782308C4C4F8075CAF5C12351A|
|6FEA4BCFA199A413C8F371E63DE77BDF6F6658B8315DF7F8FCCDB34A6B38978B178|
|BB16933652E25CD827D219ECE26945C0D338B66219E4B765FCE67CC82E910A9EDB8|
|2A36753D950ACF2E1712666C366BE69281CA9D4BF1A5B4990C478BAB894C36119B9|
|2F415E58E2E2FE7C2B3B96C3AB352575ECF9BF17C7629DD78FC87588B996CBE1E85|
|477572B779269F4D54A21624C92CACB64A2321F94DD5285E255DE99A5243BAF2D8C|
|1930EB2166C3E01BEB27A9ED894327455F3947C06EACFC917E0AE783478EC5A442F|
|6B270CF20C587B9A9C005D93E09E786DF4DA765559AB3B045BF7C09ED7E43E79006|
|6C46B67AF76CEE73A9E8773FA38978FF3A6C5E3804739DA91E316C149CDD907ED9A|
|D4B93564BB5B34F4E5011B9A492FE899C3393825A79E39F5F4EC4B4E23E76B5CE35|
|CB7C1BE757203ECDF24B740E553CACB3CEF4FEC7120794D9CB9897983F40D32AF93|
|7983CCF1495F2D9845B5B02FBF687E66FB3B90ED15AD0D75B636CED6CEFA76CEDEC|
|9D90FA58F0ECED5F11EFE535FC0BECFE0D047F21338F2016C927D02D8C71EB85303|
|EF5DF21ED87D9FDC2677404DBC5DECBBAB24977A2BA1BD3C91DE6DBC55FD0FC0A18|
|7E0F823D0D801DF48D800BB1FB8056D640D0CAE83631BE426BD5BE03BD96F98A734|
|FC8B93FD06837FC8BFA04DBA1DE55B34EA97454057217A42F484583B46AF2E9E30F|
|3C33CFD719EFE389F8AC1A7B0287344781A911E3E7DBDF205CBCFD109CD052B4A29|
|58753752A51855CA845519C33E935555F355CAC52305B394A27AE5BF84D2BA91E1F|
|454BEFED25797DCE75BAA718FEF56ED02CEEF9B551B46DD0FABC6ECA8ABDC4739FB|
|8A651DB7ACAF5AD6FFE46B33D8EB4B79A10CEAFF01AD62F6A2|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
Edited by Solarverse

5 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

1. 1-4: I am probably wrong, but the reason I am going against that philosophy with my idea is because the way the game has changed since release due to mechanics changing over time and the way people play now in comparison to then, I personally feel that the mechanic philosophy that was implemented by the OG Devs at and since issue #1, has become outdated for today's current game.  I am not disagreeing with your statement as your deduction of why those powers are placed where they currently are rings absolutely true with me. I simply question if the game and players have changed to a point where that philosophy no longer applies?

I'm not really sure about this. You're getting Personal Force Field at level one - at the lower levels, the pace of the game tends to be much slower. Incarnates are a non-factor, as are nukes, ancillary armour powers for squishies, etc.

Having a way of basically mitigating all damage on the fly sounds much more useful back at those lower levels than at the higher ones where you can easily build for survivability/have a proper attack chain/lock down groups of enemies.

Just now, Blackfeather said:

I'm not really sure about this. You're getting Personal Force Field at level one - at the lower levels, the pace of the game tends to be much slower. Incarnates are a non-factor, as are nukes, ancillary armour powers for squishies, etc.

Having a way of basically mitigating all damage on the fly sounds much more useful back at those lower levels than at the higher ones where you can easily build for survivability/have a proper attack chain/lock down groups of enemies.

I'll admit that during the leveling process I had PFF in my build, but once I picked up Dispersion Field and Manuevers + Combat Jumping, I dropped it. I can also see it coming in handy when Anti-matter/Posi drops a nuke and similar situations. However, I feel like those types of situations are so incredibly rare that I simply don't put PFF in my build anymore. I would like to, but not as it stands. I get you though and can't really argue your point, all I can do is provide my point of view with my particular character.

3 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

I'll admit that during the leveling process I had PFF in my build, but once I picked up Dispersion Field and Manuevers + Combat Jumping, I dropped it. I can also see it coming in handy when Anti-matter/Posi drops a nuke and similar situations. However, I feel like those types of situations are so incredibly rare that I simply don't put PFF in my build anymore. I would like to, but not as it stands. I get you though and can't really argue your point, all I can do is provide my point of view with my particular character.

Personally, between Force Bubble and Personal Force Field, I prefer having Personal Force Field - in my experience, Force Bubble is far more situational. Having an instant immunity power (effectively immune anyway) is more valuable to me than a keep-away field. I'd rather a very situational T9 than a very situational T1, which would be mandatory on support secondaries.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Philotic Knight said:

Looks like we'll have to agree to disagree @Solarverse , as I'm an originalist, and you appear to be a loose constructionist... 😛

Hahaha, fair enough, good sir.  🙂

PFF early on is pretty set defining and kinda awesome.

Detention field and Repulsion field are definitely where an opportunity may lay.

+absorb does seem appropriately force field-ish.

nickle's worth

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Hard no to any support set receiving a personal-only armor power (PFF being more of an oddball pseudo-phase as is). That seems like a no brainer to me.

...Only posted twice because I think I replied to a reply to an offended person or something.

Edited by arcaneholocaust

2 hours ago, arcaneholocaust said:

Hard no to any support set receiving a personal-only armor power (PFF being more of an oddball pseudo-phase as is). That seems like a no brainer to me.

...Only posted twice because I think I replied to a reply to an offended person or something.

Here is my issue with PFF. I am at cap defense already. PFF does nothing to help with that unless I am hit with a serious defense Debuff. My S/L Resist is at cap as well, which leaves me looking at PFF like the three legged dog your ex girlfriend dropped off at your doorstep before leaving you to join the Mars Expedition, lol.

For me personally, it is quite simply useless. I literally take alphas with my Defender and survive them...without PFF. I simply wish to give PFF a use that lasts beyond level 50, not just something that is only useful pre level 30.

I mean, I understand how difficult it is to get everyone on board with a change, so I never expected this to be easy. I just hate seeing a power that is utterly useless that I could have picked up had it been actually useful to me. Some people feel differently and probably think I am nuts for not taking PFF (I take it, I simply never use it...it's nothing more than a place holder for a Karma KB Reduction in my current build) but I feel if they were to ever play my character, they would agree that PFF no longer serves any use outside of maybe a very occasional but extremely rare boost to resist.

Edited by Solarverse

1 hour ago, Solarverse said:

Here is my issue with PFF. I am at cap defense already. PFF does nothing to help with that unless I am hit with a serious defense Debuff. My S/L Resist is at cap as well, which leaves me looking at PFF like the three legged dog your ex girlfriend dropped off at your doorstep before leaving you to join the Mars Expedition, lol.

For me personally, it is quite simply useless. I literally take alphas with my Defender and survive them...without PFF. I simply wish to give PFF a use that lasts beyond level 50, not just something that is only useful pre level 30.

I mean, I understand how difficult it is to get everyone on board with a change, so I never expected this to be easy. I just hate seeing a power that is utterly useless that I could have picked up had it been actually useful to me. Some people feel differently and probably think I am nuts for not taking PFF (I take it, I simply never use it...it's nothing more than a place holder for a Karma KB Reduction in my current build) but I feel if they were to ever play my character, they would agree that PFF no longer serves any use outside of maybe a very occasional but extremely rare boost to resist.

This doesn't feel consistent with your OP. The OP made me think you think FF needs the additional personal defense/resistance, but this post seems to tell me that was not the case?

3 hours ago, The Philotic Knight said:

I'm sorry @Solarverse, but I don't think the game should be balanced around munchkin builds.

I hear ya, man. And as much as I hate to admit it, you're right. Although even though I agree, I would like to point out that most nerfs in game happen due to these types of builds, lol. Kind of ironic.  😄

Edited by Solarverse

3 hours ago, arcaneholocaust said:

This doesn't feel consistent with your OP. The OP made me think you think FF needs the additional personal defense/resistance, but this post seems to tell me that was not the case?

No , you misunderstand. I feel if PFF would be made to be Insulation and Deflection rolled in to one for yourself, that would free a Bubbler's build up to explore many more options. To get the cap defense as it stands, I have to do a LOT of 6 slotting. If it were changed (which The Philotic Knight makes a good point that the game cannot be balanced around Min/Maxed builds) it would free up all those 6 slotted abilities for me to explore other avenues of the character build.

15 minutes ago, Vanden said:

Alright, hear me out: Personal Force Field turns your character into a physics object that NPCs and other players can kick around the map like exploded Arachnos tarantula parts

Like a Grav Trollers Propelled object?  Hahahaha! That would be fricken funny as hell, man!

8 hours ago, Solarverse said:

... for your build. That's what you forgot to put in.

It's easy to forget, especially on these forums where it seems every third word is something - "Cap" or "perma-" that.... not everyone does that. And so changing for *your* build may seriously screw over other folks.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

10 hours ago, Solarverse said:

I hear ya, man. And as much as I hate to admit it, you're right. Although even though I agree, I would like to point out that most nerfs in game happen due to these types of builds, lol. Kind of ironic.  😄

Just think of it this way. By making a Force Field character that can reach the soft-cap for Defense and be nigh invulnerable and still able to attack while NOT inside of their "ultimate defense bubble", you've basically just won the game. Good job! Enjoy your victory!

image.png.6eafe4dd084a849e708499f5c6bd3db3.png

If you want something new to challenge you further, you can absolutely gimp yourself intentionally and try to beat +4x8 mobs without having any enhancements slotted, for a start. Just an idea. I'd just advise against trying to push the powers to be MORE powerful because you feel overpowered with your intentionally overpowered build. 😛

• Haha 1
I'm out.