Weekly Discussion 69: Patron Pools

GM Miss

3 hours ago, Hew said:

I am mixed on this. Nightward was the singular best thing that ever happened to ITF. Gating things is just something I am strongly against in this game.

I’m generally against it as well, which is why I tried to make them non-onerous as possible.

That’s why my example for the requirement for the PPD patron was “completed one safeguard/mayhem mission”, the Midnighter requirement was “be able to enter the Midnighter Club” (so going to Night Ward and getting the badge that way is sufficient) and the Vanguard patron is “ability to earn Vanguard merits.”

All of those are things virtually anyone who’s reached level 35 outside of AE will have done anyway.

Basically, just enough to display a token connection to said group.

I could even be easily persuaded to drop the PPD patron to “must be able to do radio missions” (i.e. spent a literal minute or less going and clicking on a detective in one of the zones). I could be persuaded that doing the one minute (if you skip the quest dialogue) Senator Aquilla mission chain as sufficient to unlock the Cimeroran patron pool.

It’s less about the difficulty of the requirement as it is establishing WHY you have X as your patron... so at least talking to someone associated with the group seems like a bare minimum.

Anything less and they shouldn’t even be called “patron” pools because if you aren’t interacting with a patron in some capacity they’re just themed ancillary pools and not patron pools.

Which is fine if your preference would be to see more ancillary pools added. But the topic here is patron pools, so I figured “let’s have actual patrons.”

• Like 2

I have done the missions and unlocked the pools on several characters.  Never taken any of the powers, though.

Several reasons for this. First is a strong preference that most of my characters be heroes.  This isn't just a concept thing; it's that the power you get for staying a hero for a week is head and shoulders better than any of the powers you get for being a rogue or vigilante.  Can't speak for being a pure villain; I tend not to choose that, it's too limiting, 

Second, the bag of attacks, debuffs, and controls in the patron powers are not all that enticing.  I tried Mu Mastery on my original brute (SS/Inv) back on Victory, on the promise of having endurance returned to you.  Did not do enough to bother.  When Superior Conditioning and Physical Perfection were introduced they were respecced into almost immediately and gave that character a whole new lease on life.  Most ATs have access to one version or another of these things. often through Conserve Power.  I find these much more enticing than any of the patron pools.  And they don't require an extensive tour of duty redside. 

Finally, I prefer primary and secondary powers to pool powers more or less on principle.  The late levels where you're looking at patron pools, you're also looking at the other auxiliary pools and primary/secondary powers you skipped or postponed.  Since I tend to think that primary powers ought to be, well, primary, postponed powers from those sources have the inside track.  After all, that t9 self-rez might be handy sometime, and the two minutes of godmode then suicide button is very situational but what the hey?    And powers from pools you're already in require less commitment.  So once again the patrons get shoved aside. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Rikti Patron Pool (Hro'Dtohz)

Same powerset, two different mission arcs to get it (or do one of the others).  I made two broadstroke versions for ranged vs melee, but probably 2 sizes doesn't actually fit all ATs.  These are all powers possessed by Rikti.

Melee Characters:
Rikti Rifle Ranged, Energy, Foe Knockback, Disorient
Accelerate Metabolism Ally +Speed, +Damage, +Recovery (less potent than defender version)
Activating this power emits radiation that increases the running speed, attack speed, Endurance Recovery and Damage potential of all nearby allies. Affected Ritki Metabolism is increased so much that they become resistant to effects such as Sleep, Hold, Disorient and Immobilization. The Riktis are not protected from such effects, they just wear off faster.
Fusion Pulse Ranged Energy, +Energy DoT, -RES (all), -Regen
Dominate Ranged, Foe Hold
Transponder Player can create an inter-dimensional Transponder for 60 seconds. A total of 3  Rikti soldiers(1 conscript, 1 guardian, and one Chief Mentalist (Lt))  can teleport in through this Transponder to join their allies and more will come to replace fallen soldiers while the portal is open. This power has a long recharge. The Transponder can be destroyed.  Pets will stay spawned for 5 minutes, even if the transponder is destroyed or gone.

Ranged Characters
Rikti Sword Melee, Energy/Lethal Foe Disorient
Resistance Auto, Self +Resistances: Smash, Lethal, Energy, Psionic, Resist Sleep, Confuse, Fear
Greater Rikti Sword Melee, Energy/Letha) Foe Disorient
Paralytic Aura PBAoE, Energy, Minor Damage over Time, Foe -Recovery, -Spd, -Rech, Fear
Transponder Player can create an inter-dimensional Transponder for 20 seconds. A total of 3 Rikti soldiers(1 conscript, 1 infantry, and one Chief Soldier (melee, Lt)  can teleport in through this Transponder to join their allies and more will come to replace fallen soldiers while the portal is open. This power has a long recharge. The Transponder can be destroyed.  Pets will stay spawned for 5 minutes, even if the transponder is destroyed or gone.

New Villain Patron Arc: Hro’Dtoz
Probably the player must be a member of the Midnighters and Vanguard.  Of course, the story could be slightly altered to change this to avoid needing those badges.

Hro’Dtoz, leader of the Rikti Lineage of War has sent out word that he is willing to make a deal with any earthing who becomes an agent for him- word got to you.  He will grant them a governorship when the Rikti rule.  In addition he will outfit them with Rikti Technology in the meantime.   The Villain never onces plans to betray the Earth, but a good plan here would be a great way to strike a blow against the Rikti, get some new tech, and possibly look like a hero for the world.  They need to at least hear Hro'Dtoz out.

The Villain uses their Vanguard clearance and covertly steals plans needed to build the necessary technology to make contact with Hro’Dtoz.  The Villain discovers that other than Vanguard, the only known entity to possess this technology is Nemesis.  As a member of Vanguard it would be unwise to rob them, but Nemesis...  They definitely have it coming.

Mission 1: Retrieve subspace radio command board from Nemesis
After the player gets the item they are able to contact Hro’Dtoz on the appropriate channel.

Hro’Dtoz does not trust the Villain. “Character Reputation: Dubious. Trustworthiness: Miniscule.”  
Hro’Dtoz makes it clear he will not trust the player unless they perform 3 treasonous tasks against Earth.   

1. Get him working codes to a portal and place it where he can bring in an invasion force.

2. Retrieve Excalibur and give it to Hro’Dtoz at the Portal.  Hro’Dtoz will not send in troops until he is sure the villain has handed over the actual Excalibur.

4. Plant a virus in the Vanguard communications array designed by Hro’Dtoz that he can activate on demand.  Hro'Dtoz will not send troops until he has control of the communications systems.

Mission 2:  Defeat the Elder Fae guardians
Hro’Dtoz has very good intelligence on Excalibur and will not be fooled by a Replica Sword, he will only accept one that matches the correct energy signature he has. Clearly he intends to give it to the Honoree in order to make the Honoree undefeatable.  

The player learns that Ms. Liberty has been working with the Midnighters so they can perform some research on Excalibur in order to free Hero One from his Rikti captors.  Using their Midnighter membership the Villain covertly accesses the files on Excalibur learning there is hope that if the Honoree holds Excalibur he may be able to mentally recover from what the Rikti did to him.   The villain believes they can now be the one to save Hero One.  An Excellent PR move that might make it easier for them to operate in Paragon City.

After some surveillance the villain learns that Ms. Liberty lays the sword on the ground whenever she goes to visit Statesman’s grave.   The villain does not see the need to face Ms. Liberty or be seen.  Instead the villain will take a helicopter and use a high powered magnet to grab Excalibur when she sets it down.

After returning to their base of operations, the villain is surprised to discover they have been mystically tracked by the Fae Guardians of Excalibur.  In order to keep Excalibur they must defeat the 5 Elder Guardians.

Mission 3:  Get location map of Praetorian Portals
The villain was right, this will be an excellent way to further their stature and strike a possibly fatal blow against the Lineage of Blood.  The Rikti are not aware of Praetorian Earth.  The villain can exploit Hro’Dtoz’s ignorance.

The villain must break into Portal Corp to retrieve the location of Praetorian portals and several processing unit parts needed to make them work.

Mission 4:  Defeat all Devouring Earth
The villain learns there are currently several abandoned portals in Praetoria in areas overrun by Hamidon.  The villain will explain to Hro’Dtoz they they will set up a portal in the basement of a large building in the heart of Paragon City.  Because Hro’Dtoz thinks he is traveling to Primal Earth he will not understand the building is surrounded and infested with Devouring Earth, at least not until it is too late.

The player must temporarily secure the large portal in Neutropolis long enough to make it appear to be Primal Earth and trick Hro’Dtoz as he looks through and performs test readings and insures the communication array is compromised.  The rikti computer virus and invasion force will be against Hamidon controlled Praetoria and praetorian computer systems not Primal Earth’s. 

Mission 5: Defeat the Avatar of Hamidon
Just as Hro’Dtoz is preparing to enter the portal to make the deal the villain is attacked by the Avatar of Hamidon and more devouring Earth.  The player the must defeat the Avatar before Hro’Dtoz can figure out something is wrong.

Conclusion: Hro’Dtoz and the Honoree and small contingent of soldiers come through the portal with the Honoree. Before you hand over the sword, you ask for the promised tech.  Patron Powers unlocked. You also get the badge “Intergalactic Backstabber”.  Hro’Dtoz gives the sword to the Honoree who raises it in the air triumphantly. A slight gleam is his eyes tell you something has changed in him.

Hro’Dtoz turns towards the Honoree.  “Rikti Home world disagreements: Excalibur solves.”  Surprisingly, the Honoree turns and exits through the portal as more troops pile through. It appears it didn’t work and the Honoree is still under Rikti control.

No matter, the Lineage of War isn’t going to survive the day- they were the real problem anyway, not the Rikti as a whole.  After the last of the troops come through the villain closes the portal and opens a new one back to Paragon City.  They place a small charge on the portal device and it explodes moments after the villain leaves, stranding the Hro’Dtoz and the Rikti troops surrounded by the Devouring Earth.

Alternate Hero Arc
There could be a similar hero arc with C'Kelkah as the contact attempting to thwart the giving of Excalibur to Hro’Dtoz.  The player thwarts the theft, but learns from the Midnighters that it may be the key to saving Hero One.  They recruit Ms. Liberty who agrees to give Excalibur to the Honoree.  With Lady Grey’s help they set up a similar trap to the villain story.  Hro’Dtoz and his forces are stranded in Praetoria, the Honoree goes back through the portal seemingly unchanged.  C’Kelkah offers Rikti technology to the player as a reward.  Patron Powers unlocked.  The player gets the badge “The Hand of the Lake”.

Edited by zenijos10

I would love to see Hero Patrons linked to the TFs you need for Task Force Commander.   Below are just examples of pools for Blasters to give you an idea. 

If not for doing the TFs, then it would be an awesome reward for completing "Free Positron" mission from Maria Jenkins.  They are so appreciative that the Freedom Phalanx takes you under it's wing.  

Positron: Radiation Mastery
Lingering Radiation: Foe -rech, -speed, -regen.

Radiation Syphon: Melee High Damage, foe -Def, self heal. 
Alpha Barrier: Self +Res  Smash/Lethal/Energy/Toxic. 

Ground Zero: PBAoE Moderate damage Energy, Moderate DoT Toxic, self +Heal over time. 
Summon Valkyrie

Synapse:  Speed Mastery.
Static Fences: (electrifying fences clone with -rech instead of -end)
Rapid Punches: (Sands of Mu clone only -rech instead of -tohit)
Heightened Reflexes: Self +Def Smashing/Lethal/Energy.

Andrenal Rush: Click Self +rech, +rec, +status protection. 

Summon Minx.

Penny Yin: Psionic Mastery
Mass Hypnosis:  Targetted AoE Sleep
Dominate: Foe Hold

Mind over body: Self +Res Smashing, Lethal, Psy.
Mass Levitate.

Summon Assembler Prince

Etc Etc Etc. 

Edited by Puma

Fusionette:

Oooh, Shiny!: Click, shows the location of every mob on the mission map, but adds "Defeat All" as a mission completion objective.

I Got Caught...Again: Auto Power. Summons a temporary pet that attacks your target if you're mezzed and at 25% or less health.

Suicide Run: Toggle. Melee Taunt aura. You can only use ranged attacks, Your range is reduced by 90%, every hit stacks +damage/-self Res.

He's Got a Cool Jacket, Tho: Summons Jimmy, but he's Rooted and in Granite armor and can't move.

• Haha 1

This gets into a much larger topic but I can’t say I’ve ever really even enjoyed the idea of most toggles. Especially things like the fighting pool, if anything they should increase your overall endurance recovery- you’ve been training after all - yet not in any better shape for it? The notion of muscle memory for weave comes to mind and tough doesn’t seem like something anyone should have to “turn on”. Hoping some of this line of thinking could be used in patron pools as well as any other new power sets or future updates to the game. 

Why not separate the patron requirements for the patron pools? The missions could still be available for badges etc but just open them up auto like epic pools.
for more “epic” high level powers all the  existing primaries and secondaries could simply continue into higher ‘epic’ levels. At a certain point in the game you don’t really care to be anyone’s sidekick or lackey anymore. 
What if simply opening up existing power sets is a great answer to expanding epic power pools?

Patron Pools.

"Captain."  You lead a team of up to 5 NPCs.

Opens up to people who earn the Freedom Phallanx.

You can lead a team of four/5 epic heroes as NPC pets.  eg.  A Master Mind set of Pets?

Ms. Liberty, Back Alley Brawler, The Arrows Guy Manticore, Positron and Blue Shield.

Or a zone based Patron could open up.

Jim Tremlor.

Fusionette.

Mirror.

Penelope

etc.

Having an NPC/Pets based Patron power set(s) has been on my mind for a while.  There are loads of good hero NPCs in the game.  That would make good hero based pet classes.

Eg. Thistle, Frost Fire.  You see them in the game/missions and never hear anymore from them.

I wouldn't be adverse to having one 'honoury' ally from a zone of your choice as a combat pet.

Having an 'Epic' Pet class is long over due.  aka.  You're Captain (America) and leading your team (Avengers...) you assemble.

Azrael.

Edited by Golden Azrael

2 hours ago, Golden Azrael said:

Patron Pools.

"Captain."  You lead a team of up to 5 NPCs.

Opens up to people who earn the Freedom Phallanx.

You can lead a team of four/5 epic heroes as NPC pets.  eg.  A Master Mind set of Pets?

Ms. Liberty, Back Alley Brawler, The Arrows Guy Manticore, Positron and Blue Shield.

Or a zone based Patron could open up.

Jim Tremlor.

Fusionette.

Mirror.

Penelope

etc.

Having an NPC/Pets based Patron power set(s) has been on my mind for a while.  There are loads of good hero NPCs in the game.  That would make good hero based pet classes.

Eg. Thistle, Frost Fire.  You see them in the game/missions and never hear anymore from them.

I wouldn't be adverse to having one 'honoury' ally from a zone of your choice as a combat pet.

Having an 'Epic' Pet class is long over due.  aka.  You're Captain (America) and leading your team (Avengers...) you assemble.

Azrael.

I think being able to summon named NPCs would be cool, but fits more as a temp power than a permanent power pool. I dont see the Avengers as Captain America's pets.  I think the Avengers is more like a team of player heroes and Captain America is the group, sg, or task force leader. That said I would love a patron or epic pet pool.

Edited by zenijos10

It's a mini Mastermind set for Heroes.

You're a 'Captain' and you lead your team of 'Heroes.'

It would be cool leading a band of Phallanx Heroes.

It's 'just' a Pet Patron pool.  Something we don't have yet.  (We have the 'odd' pet included in the Patrons...but having NPCs like the Phallanx, Miss Thistle (to tank...whilst you defend...), Fusionette (she's a bit of a nutter...but...), Jim Tremlor…  There's that many NPC heroes in the game missions it would be nice to have a power set with them and included in further mission content.

Azrael.

2 hours ago, Golden Azrael said:

It's a mini Mastermind set for Heroes.

You're a 'Captain' and you lead your team of 'Heroes.'

It would be cool leading a band of Phallanx Heroes.

It's 'just' a Pet Patron pool.  Something we don't have yet.  (We have the 'odd' pet included in the Patrons...but having NPCs like the Phallanx, Miss Thistle (to tank...whilst you defend...), Fusionette (she's a bit of a nutter...but...), Jim Tremlor…  There's that many NPC heroes in the game missions it would be nice to have a power set with them and included in further mission content.

Azrael.

I followed you and I like the idea of a pet patron pool, in fact in a previous weekly topic I suggested an Epic set with multiple pets.   The part I think doesnt make sense is having named NPCs as pets.  Then you will see several people all running around with Ms Liberty and Positron pets and I do not think it makes sense that a player(s) is the leader of the FreedomPhalanx.  Generic heroes like Vanguard or Longbow soldiers, I think make more sense and is more consistent with COH game and story design. 

Edited by zenijos10

2 hours ago, zenijos10 said:

I followed you and I like the idea of a pet patron pool, in fact in a previous weekly topic I suggested an Epic set with multiple pets.   The part I think doesnt make sense is having named NPCs as pets.

I’d agree with that sentiment.

Honestly, given the number of newer missions where you end up with an allied NPC or five (a number of First/Night Ward and Dark Astoria most notably) I think something that would let you get the equivalent of a sidekick (akin to the companions in SWTOR) would be an interesting way to expand character concepts a bit.

To distinguish it from and keep it from overshadowing MM’s however I’d also lean towards some type of “you can only have one “sidekick” summoned at a time from said pool.

Perhaps a setup that’s more like;

t1 - basic summon (on par with the current patron summons)

t2 - extended summon (passive that increases duration to effectively infinite)

t3 - equip summon

t4 - upgrade summon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris24601 said:

I’d agree with that sentiment.

Honestly, given the number of newer missions where you end up with an allied NPC or five (a number of First/Night Ward and Dark Astoria most notably) I think something that would let you get the equivalent of a sidekick (akin to the companions in SWTOR) would be an interesting way to expand character concepts a bit.

To distinguish it from and keep it from overshadowing MM’s however I’d also lean towards some type of “you can only have one “sidekick” summoned at a time from said pool.

Perhaps a setup that’s more like;

t1 - basic summon (on par with the current patron summons)

t2 - extended summon (passive that increases duration to effectively infinite)

t3 - equip summon

t4 - upgrade summon

Nice, like a patron power where youre the patron.

• Like 2