NeRF AoE !!

Troo

..because it's Tuesday!

Area of Effect (AoE); An area affected by the use of a power. An Area of Effect power affects all characters and/or enemies in a specific geographic area, as opposed to a single character and/or enemy. This includes Targeted AoEs that employ a targeted entity to affect others around them, Location AoEs that focus on a targeted spot, and Point Blank AoEs that use the caster of the power as the center of the Area of Effect

Is the current state of AoE the cause of some AT's roles being diminished?

Are AoE's too strong?

Should AoE recharge be slowed down? Or sped up?

Are some areas too large?

Cheers

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

3 minutes ago, Vanden said:

Actually, if you look at the damage formulas, AoE attacks suck. Powers that follow the rules, like Explosive Blast, or Whirling Hands, players hate them. The best AoE attacks all break the rules.

Rules?

Edit: nvm i see what you mean

Edited by Super Atom

7 minutes ago, Lines said:

I don't necessarily think the powers themselves need changing (though, if they did, then fine. I shaln't be remiss).

But I think enemies could do a better job of not obediently waddling into a bunched up group.

To be honest with you, if enemies did not do that, I would lose interest in this game. I know it's dumb AI, but that dumb AI is what makes the game fun for me since it helps my AoEs go BOOM!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well I mean I get the sentiment. 

Problem:  Game is too damn easy

So if you want to lessen the problem you have to either make baddies kill you faster, or make it so you kill them slower. 

To do that you either have to buff the baddies or nerf the players.   

So this is a Nerf Players suggestion.  

• Thanks 1

@Troo, and well everyone really:

This thread I made a while back dove into this from a "general" sense where it appears that in a team setting, AoE's may be sort of suspect. The gist of the 1st half of that OP is this:

In both even-level and +4 content, a team of 8 people simply tossing out a single "Random AoE" each is usually enough to wipe all but bosses every time. 

The caveat being of course that the AoE's line up, hit all the same targets, etc, but the potential is there in theory for where "Basic AoE's", not even nukes, when repeated get the job done spawn to spawn in a big team.

• Like 2

To be clear: I prefer not to nerf things, that's part of the irony of my writing it.

Power creep is always a big concern of mine, not because I don't want folks to be more powerful but because it does impact so much more than is obvious. The ripple effect is really difficult to anticipate.

The current meta has some issues. Solving them is more whack-a-mole brain surgery as opposed to one definitive silver bullet.

• Like 2

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

I remember in the old days I could pull off two, sometimes 3 cycles of my power chain before the mobs would dissipate. Now...I am lucky to get 1 full cycle.

Edited by Solarverse
  • Like 4

I say we nerf the whole game so that everyone gets one damage causing power with a max damage of 2 points, and one armor power giving 1% def and 1% Resist.  Fully enhanced.

And if you can't beat the entire game using that, you just suck.

Yeah!

THE NERF IS THE LIFE!

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

brawl for-the-win

maybe brawl & kick so there is some variety

Edited by Troo
  • Haha 1

Well, the P2W vendor has temp powers to make things easier, how about some for challenge mode powers so people who want everything to suck can have their fun, while the rest of us don't have to suffer? Can add temp auto powers to cut your damage by 20/50/75%, ditto for range, end recovery, to-hit, recharge et cetera, purchased an hour at a time and stacking for 8 hours.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Troo said:

To be clear: I prefer not to nerf things, that's part of the irony of my writing it.

Power creep is always a big concern of mine, not because I don't want folks to be more powerful but because it does impact so much more than is obvious. The ripple effect is really difficult to anticipate.

The current meta has some issues. Solving them is more whack-a-mole brain surgery as opposed to one definitive silver bullet.

Could buff all enemy sizes and make them bodyblock every other NPC so you can't get them to stack.

Take the Digimon route and have the weak minions be these hulking bulky masses while the strong EBs, Bosses and AVs be relatively normal sized.

• Haha 1

On 9/21/2020 at 5:10 PM, Solarverse said:

To be honest with you, if enemies did not do that, I would lose interest in this game. I know it's dumb AI, but that dumb AI is what makes the game fun for me since it helps my AoEs go BOOM!

As a "What if...?" thought...

What if you buff the AI to be less dumb so it does things like run for cover or run to trigger alarms/aggro more groups... at the same time you overhaul controllers and add better group control?

Like finally upgrade the physics so you can do knock-in powers to just shove groups where you want.  Tanks could just suck people to them or a Storm/ could slot a "reverse KB" into Gale and blow everyone who tried to run toward themselves. Buff up all the AoE controls into being useful again.

Add a bit more of a tactical element to the game?  Doesn't mean you NEED controllers but you just need AN answer to it.  Slot Explosive Blast with a "Reverse KB" and open with that first to crunch them all up for your AoE rotation or snipe out the obvious runners before you open up with the AoEs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leogunner said:

Could buff all enemy sizes and make them bodyblock every other NPC so you can't get them to stack.

Take the Digimon route and have the weak minions be these hulking bulky masses while the strong EBs, Bosses and AVs be relatively normal sized.

only if it breaks line of sight