NeRF AoE !!

Troo

30 minutes ago, RCU7115 said:

Very true. I just stopped trying to herd 2 groups together because I turn around and that 1st group is now immobilized and scattered everywhere because they were trying to follow me.

Just to clear myself up. I don't mind them following me, in fact I prefer it that way. However, teams are very impatient and can't wait to start using powers, and most often lock them down before they even have a chance to move. So these days I just assume that is what will happen and play as such. The days when players waited for the Tanks to get the mobs stacked on him before unleashing hell has been replaced by players who don't really know the bonuses to waiting and since even doing so much as suggesting to wait is usually taken offensively, I don't say anything at all. So i don't even suggest anymore. If it gets too annoying, I just quit and play with SG mates who have been here since the beginning and play more to my style of playing.

Edited by Solarverse
  • Like 1

I think we're just getting "burned" by circumstances re NC Soft, Paragon, etc.

People play this game to feel like superheroes. Part of that is progressing and getting more powerful. Specifically, with the incarnate material, it's evolving into a God of some form and realizing the possibility of ultimate power.

To modify any mechanic now to reduce damage or power when playing existing content is antithetical to the expectations players have when progressing in the game. I don't want my AoE nerfed so my next run of tinpex is harder, I'm a God next to those mobs as that's the spot I've "earned". 

When I look at other games (but I'm by no means an MMORPG expert), they typically get around this by adding new levels and new content. They introduce new endgame challenges that re-introduce the feeling of hardship or slightly modify expectations. As players, we rightly view this as another step in becoming Godlike. I think this content should also "spread the love" in regards to diversifying desirable powerset combos and the like. Enemies should deal dmg types not commonly seen and be weak to dmg types not often chosen. That gives reason to have variety and everyone a purpose based on temporal partitioning. And then, when the community has discovered all the meta and conquered this content they can feel Godlike again just before new content is released.

It's pretty typical human nature stuff. You see new challenges which initially defeat you. You work hard and learn how to overcome the challenge. At some point you become the expert and the challenge is trivialized. The way to solve this is not by nerfing your expert status because that subverts expectations. It usually doesn't match real world experiences. In the real world, ideally you find new challenges.

The problem we face is that there's no one really dedicated to creating new challenges for us (not to knock the devs, they are doing a great job, but I assume they all have day jobs). I assume it's quite a bit easier to nerf powersets or mechanics than to introduce new content so that will often be the path taken just out of expedience. It's how you'd optimize a problem of creating new challenges with tightly constrained time requirements. Although, I will say, I was pretty pleased to see some new mission content in the beta so I may very well be wrong. I hope I am because I want to continue my journey as an incarnate.

• Like 1