Hey Devs, can you please some or all of this to HC?! :)

BurtHutt

31 minutes ago, BurtHutt said:

I guess. I'm working under the premise that HC will get the license to run the game and their Dev team could use the help. HC has a top notch product here and it's comparable to Live. I don't know if the other servers have that...it doesn't seem like it. HC has a very professional product and feel here. If they do add other Devs etc, I'd want it to maintain the quality. I wouldn't want a single thing added if it doesn't meet a high standard.

Again, there's a reason most play here. I get others may want some variety but the actual gameplay and quality seems to be better here. 🙂

Seeing as how some of the other servers have had MULTIPLE character wipes or instances of characters not being playable, due to some errant problem introduced by some "shiney" they deployed with not enough testing, in the time that HC has been up and consistent with our characters. . .  yeah I'll stick with HC's quality over the other servers flashiness anytime of the day.

• Like 12

One thing to also remember is that even if the servers were on good terms with one another, the fact is each one has a different vision of how the game should be developed, cake does not equal thunderspy does not equal homecoming, and it probably would reflect poorly between playerbases if one were to blatantly copy the other without some express permissions, even the perception of it can mar the image to both communities and foster further bad blood. This is, sadly, a prime example of politics not even confined to games like this.

All I will say also is that I personally disagree with various choices Cake and Thunderspy make for their servers with ATs and powersets, a lot of it feeling very rushed. Some of the things I personally do like that they've done are not related to player powersets so much as making it possible for all mobs to scale up to fifty and opening up some of the NPC costume options. (and maybe Empathy could use something to help is stand out further from others)

• Like 1

I think the Synergist is such a cool idea:

From what I can see it's basically an Assault set and a customised support set, the main concept being that you get a powerful ally from the mastermind set in the secondary. So you have a Commando, an Assault Bot, or a Doppleganger (from illusion) to fight alongside! I really like it, but I'm not especially hopeful it makes it here. I should point out that it's free to use on any server with credit.

• Like 3

I guess my response overall would be "Hey, devs, please continue to make thoughtful and tested changes instead of just slapping things together to see what sticks."

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

27 minutes ago, Greycat said:

I guess my response overall would be "Hey, devs, please continue to make thoughtful and tested changes instead of just slapping things together to see what sticks."

Yeeeeeeeeeeeah I think we've all said as much throughout this thread...

• Like 2

• 1 month later
On 9/25/2020 at 11:23 AM, BurtHutt said:

Yes, I'm pestering for this again lol. I've never actually played any of these but I am sure some balancing and changes would need to be made but it seems the heavy lifting has been done. This would be epic to see all of this added to HC - an already professionally run game! There are tons of cool powers and ATs added on other servers. Could you not combine efforts and ask to use their code, adjust it and balance it then add it here? There seems to be a ton of good stuff. Stuff like:

[snip]

There's also Wind Control and Holy Light powers but I couldn't find good vids for those. The shotgun power for tanks looks fun too. The arsenal powerset could be adjusted and added here too (change it so it includes missiles, electric tesla looking rod like in clocks etc). I am sure these powers would need to be balanced and maybe some changes would need to be made but they look like a lot of fun and some are different from what we have.

It's too bad the Vampiir power creators didn't add an option that allows the ability to transform the character into a bat with a few attacks; maybe even have a second form as a wolf as that was another popular form a Vamp could take.

Then I would also ask the Devs add these pool powers that seem to have been ready to go at the end of Live:

Would just like to give you a friendly warning that gameplay footage is not allowed on HC forums. Might want to give the names of the videos and ask the players/Devs to check them out instead of actually posting the footage.

Edited by Solarverse

• 3 weeks later
On 11/8/2020 at 7:27 AM, Solarverse said:

Would just like to give you a friendly warning that gameplay footage is not allowed on HC forums. Might want to give the names of the videos and ask the players/Devs to check them out instead of actually posting the footage.

Pretty sure this would apply to Homecoming.

That isn't Homecoming footage.

10 minutes ago, Squeakieclean said:

Pretty sure this would apply to Homecoming.

That isn't Homecoming footage.

I can assure you with 100% accuracy that this is not true. This rule pertains to any and all City of Heroes Footage that takes place after March 8th, regardless of what server it came from. I have had this very discussion where I myself thought as you do with a GM and they assured me that it pertains to any footage whatsoever that was uploaded after that date. They also stated that technically the others servers are not supposed to be doing it either, but Homecoming has no control over the other servers, only this one.

Edited by Solarverse
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later

I can live without those ATs but.... THOSE NEW COSTUME PIECES.

I'd kill to have those in HC... and giant people, and micro people. Is there a possibility of stealing at least some of those pieces and put them together in a mod?

PleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePlease

• Like 2

AE ARCS:

Most Dangerous Game (ongoing): 16058, 16059, 16060, 4363, 15230, 22386, 23645 * The God Machine (finished): 26365 * Family Reunion (finished): 18920 * Remnants (finished): 5405, 5408, 5411, 5597 * Ball and Chain (finished): 33690 * The Scroll of the Spirit Dragon (finished): 37070 * Prime Real Estate (finished):  43979 * Lord of War (finished):  49034 * Euthanatos (ongoing): 41945, 54307, 54312, 50727

11 hours ago, Azari said:

hardline no footage of COH seems a little draconian and strange.  Can someone explain to me the reasoning of it?  

IIRC, it's a condition imposed by NCsoft as part of the negotiations the Homecoming group is engaged in. With video hosting sites monetizing the uploaded video, this is making money off of NCsoft's IP, with Homecoming being complicit in enabling it by operating the rogue servers -- grounds for NCsoft to drop a C&D order on the negotiating table and go home. So Homecoming is aggressive in shutting it down when they find it, the same way they're careful to only accept donations to cover their operating costs.

It kind of ignores that the original IP of your characters is actually shared jointly by NCSoft and the player (it was designed that way).

While I don't think that some of these ideas can just be copy-pasted from other servers, I also don't think Homecoming's devs should just 100% ignore the other servers and what they are doing. 

I mean every one of the other servers barring Rebirth (which is too dogmatic on being the original experience) has some mechanism of mez protection inherently for ATs that did not have them. That seems to indicate that most people think that's a good idea and it doesn't actually impact the ones that have mezz protection now (and in PvP, everyone loses mez protection for mez resistance anyways.)

Really, I think that the 'source-code' for power templates and AT templates should be open sourced so that people can work, improve and even balance them.

Edited by arthurh35353
better grammar
  • Haha 1

On 9/25/2020 at 4:30 PM, Super Atom said:

As for these suggestions, I like individual ideas like Offensive/defensive targets having different effects, but for the most part they're wildly random and while they work for a server like Thunderspy they wouldn't fit in much here. My suggestion would just be to roll a thunderspy account as well and just play those things there. Can't hurt playing on multiple servers 😛 

Who's got time for that?  I certainly don't.  I barely have time to play here.

5 hours ago, arthurh35353 said:

That seems to indicate that most people think that's a good idea

Just because "most people" think it's a good idea doesn't make it a good idea.

• Like 7

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

Hasn't it been established that the modifications to the base code used in each different server makes this impractical, if not impossible?  Also, I believe it's been stated in the past that there's considerable rancor between the different developers running the individual servers, such that they would not be willing to exchange work and ideas?

I'm always up for adding new costume bits/skins to the existing choices and what not, but I think it's been firmly communicated that this is never going to happen through collaboration with other developers.

Having said that, I am perfectly happy to be proven wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

Just because "most people" think it's a good idea doesn't make it a good idea.

It does make it a popular one that might indicate that to most people it is a good idea and be looked at. For some pretty good reasons, we aren't all playing on Rebirth, you know.

• Like 1

Broken record that I am, it would still be wonderful to actually know what the Devs here consider "good ideas" and "bad ideas," -divorced- from the feasibility and expressly stated in the context of "in the moment, and potentially subject to change," so we might have some insight in to what they actually even think City of Heroes is, exactly.  (Feasibility considerations would also be nice to have, of course.  Just to clarify.)

After almost two years, it's been a helluva time trying to piece together where the Homecoming Devs stand exactly, and I don't like having to rely on rumours and speculation.  And I do get that the Devs aren't obligated.  I do get that it takes time to think about, compose, express, and then refine those views as typed messages here.  And that expressing those views in a public space implicitly invites scrutiny and criticism by a wide audience.  And that there are individuals who make snap judgements, and people who are toxic and offensive in the expression of their feedback.

And, based on my personal views, it would all be very much well worth it.  

It opens the door for meaningful discussions that can illuminate serious shortfalls that wouldn't be exposed otherwise.  It actively invites the deconstruction of any potential echo chambers which may be obscuring viable solutions.

I'm not capable of forcing the Devs to do anything.  Even if I was, I wouldn't.

I just want to encourage them to make the attempts, time and energy permitting.

And before anyone bring out the old hat, the Devs are the -only ones- who get to decide if they have that time and energy, and how much they want to commit to it, if at all.

. . . theoretical clauses enforced by probable N.D.A.s notwithstanding . . . 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, arthurh35353 said:

It does make it a popular one that might indicate that to most people it is a good idea and be looked at.

I'm completely at a loss to grasp why you think essentially repeating yourself is any kind of useful response to what I said.

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

6 hours ago, TemporalVileTerror said:

Broken record that I am, it would still be wonderful to actually know what the Devs here consider "good ideas" and "bad ideas," -divorced- from the feasibility and expressly stated in the context of "in the moment, and potentially subject to change," so we might have some insight in to what they actually even think City of Heroes is, exactly.  (Feasibility considerations would also be nice to have, of course.  Just to clarify.)

After almost two years, it's been a helluva time trying to piece together where the Homecoming Devs stand exactly, and I don't like having to rely on rumours and speculation.  And I do get that the Devs aren't obligated.  I do get that it takes time to think about, compose, express, and then refine those views as typed messages here.  And that expressing those views in a public space implicitly invites scrutiny and criticism by a wide audience.  And that there are individuals who make snap judgements, and people who are toxic and offensive in the expression of their feedback.

And, based on my personal views, it would all be very much well worth it.  

It opens the door for meaningful discussions that can illuminate serious shortfalls that wouldn't be exposed otherwise.  It actively invites the deconstruction of any potential echo chambers which may be obscuring viable solutions.

I'm not capable of forcing the Devs to do anything.  Even if I was, I wouldn't.

I just want to encourage them to make the attempts, time and energy permitting.

And before anyone bring out the old hat, the Devs are the -only ones- who get to decide if they have that time and energy, and how much they want to commit to it, if at all.

. . . theoretical clauses enforced by probable N.D.A.s notwithstanding . . . 

Based on my personal views, (and what you stated in this post) it would not.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2021 at 6:14 PM, arthurh35353 said:

It kind of ignores that the original IP of your characters is actually shared jointly by NCSoft and the player (it was designed that way).

Yes, but you're not playing on NCSoft servers under the original NCSoft license.

So it doesn't work that way here.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

19 hours ago, arthurh35353 said:

It does make it a popular one that might indicate that to most people it is a good idea and be looked at. For some pretty good reasons, we aren't all playing on Rebirth, you know.

You're missing the point.  Simply because something is "popular", or has "many people" in favor of it, DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT IS A GOOD IDEA.

I mean, *I* think that HC should pay everyone who plays $10,000,000 per character on their servers.  EVERY MONTH.
I'm sure that would be popular.  And I'm sure it'd have wide support.

But is it a good idea that something like that happens?
Of course not.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!