What would you change aesthetically?

TraumaTrain

3 hours ago, FoulVileTerror said:

The introduction of new technologies in to civilian life is something that can take a long time.

Especially when that technology is reverse-engineered from a hostile invader.  And government legislation comes in to play.  Or with corporate ownership of said technologies.  Or being in a setting where either the government or corporations are run by shadowy cabals of supervillains which may be infiltrated by members of said invasion in disguise. 

Not saying that we shouldn't see that technology in the hands of civilians by now, but just that there are plenty of reasons why it isn't necessarily the case at this point.

Also to potentially give some ideas for stories that could be told within this setting.

From what I recall from one of the Blueside story arcs, medi-porters have only just started being distributed to actual civilians, and only then, for the elderly/handicapped.

8 hours ago, Frostbiter said:

I know how we can rebuild Paragon to be better. What we need is two cities! One on the ground and one on a disc suspended above it. We'll even move Terra Volta to the upper disc! What could go wrong?

With all of the tunnels under Paragon, I think it would be easier to build a subterranean city as the second city.

3 minutes ago, Player2 said:

With all of the tunnels under Paragon, I think it would be easier to build a subterranean city as the second city.

Do you want a Hellmouth? Because that's how you get a Hellmouth. 😆

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

7 minutes ago, Player2 said:

Orangebagel is already down there.  And we haven't managed to permanently evict the current residents, so we'd have to tolerate snoring demons and gassy Air Thorn Casters.  Pass.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

11 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Orangebagel is already down there.  And we haven't managed to permanently evict the current residents, so we'd have to tolerate snoring demons and gassy Air Thorn Casters.  Pass.

Not to mention all of the Quicksand. I avoid CoT in the late 30's like the plague just because of all the damn Quicksand.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

Well, one thing has bothered me for years.   I would resize all the roads and cars and civilians to be to scale to average human sizes.  Most of the buildings are more or less ok I think in terms of scale.   It's just always bothered me that none of the people could realistically fit in any of these cars.  Especially the compacts.

Barring that, I'm with Bill Z.

Roll back the nipple nerf.

8 minutes ago, ABlueThingy said:

Well, one thing has bothered me for years.   I would resize all the roads and cars and civilians to be to scale to average human sizes.  Most of the buildings are more or less ok I think in terms of scale.   It's just always bothered me that none of the people could realistically fit in any of these cars.  Especially the compacts.

Little known fact: it's called a "compact" car because it's designed to hold cosmetics.  They're not actually meant to be driven.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, FoulVileTerror said:

A continuous full-scale city is definitely a City of Heroes 2 sort of thing, I fear.   I just don't think this engine could handle something of that magnitude.

I think that Praetoria was the first baby steps toward that, where you still had zones, but they overlaid each other at the edges without the War Walls to force distinct separations.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2020 at 4:06 PM, srmalloy said:

The problem is that the vast majority of the architecture is heavily Brutalist, which was a popular architectural style in the 1950s through the late '60s, and was largely over by the late 1970s and early '80s, so it wouldn't have been featured so heavily in a post-Rikti reconstruction. However, Brutalism has had influences on high-tech construction, which Paragon Studios adapted neatly with the revamped buildings in Atlas Park and similar buildings in Kallisti Wharf.

Actually, if you take a closer look at some of the decorative details on the buildings, like the tops of the hexagon buildings, you can see signs it's actually supposed to be Art Deco, but graphical limitations and perhaps the live Devs just not understanding how Art Deco works resulted in a more brutalist style. Art Deco seems likely since this is the architecture routinely associated with golden age comicbook heroes, namely Metropolis in Superman and older depictions of Gotham.

9 hours ago, Sakura Tenshi said:

perhaps the live Devs just not understanding how Art Deco works resulted in a more brutalist style.

Given that, in the entire live run of CoH, I'm the only one who complained about the gross violation of the IALA Maritime Buoyage Standard in Paragon City, and Positron didn't know it existed at all, I wouldn't be surprised if it were just the devs not doing their research and making what they thought looked okay.

Amusing anecdote: At the last meet&greet that Paragon Studios held at the San Diego Comic-Con, I was talking to Positron and happened to bring up the buoys being wrong, and he said that they would have to start thinking about changing it, since I was the second person to bring it up. I had to admit that I was the 'other person' to bring it up, since I had presented the devs with a copy of the IALA's pages on the standard several years earlier at SDCC, and we both had a laugh about it being such an 'obscure' issue that no one else had commented on it. I suppose that, even among the Navy personnel that I knew played CoH, navigation-related knowledge like that wasn't common outside a few rates and the officers.

Edited by srmalloy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1