Open Club  ·  40 members

PC Builders

[Request] Build Expansion Round Table

WanderingAries

So in light of having to replace a drive in the build finally, I started looking at the expansion capabilities again from a "how far could I go to max out this board?" standpoint. 

I should start off with this, which I've updated as I'm now setup to manually bootswap (bios profiles) between Win7 and Win10 and it caused me to max out my SATA headers finally. Granted, some are connected to eSATA connections.

Basically, I've got some Other headers on the board as well as slots that I've not used up yet and the case still has some room in it as well for outward expansion I've been meaning to look into.

Spoiler

Available Headers:

• 1394 / Firewire
    • 1 header available
    • No current plans
  • TPM
    • 1 header available
    • No current plans
  • USB 2.0
    • 2 headers available
    • No current plans
  • USB 3.0
    • 2 headers available
    • Looking to use

Slot Configuration:

• PCIe x1
    1. Danger close to GPU backplane,  CPU, and mSATA card, but moved the PCIe x1 Wifi card back to see what the issue is.
    2. Blocked by the GPU
    3. Danger close to GPU fans
  • PCIe x16
    • Assigned to GTX 970
  • PCIe x8
    • Not assigned, considering usage so long as GPU performance won't be impacted
  • PCIe x4
    • Not assigned, considering usage so long as GPU performance won't be impacted
  • PCI
    • Not in use, no immediate plans

Drive Bay Configuration: (Internal/ Top Down)

1. Not in Use
  2. 12Tb Archive Drive
  3. 4Tb Backup drive
  4. 1Tb Data drive
  5. 250 Gb Win7 SSD
  6. 250 Gb Win10 SSD

Drive Bay Configuration: (External/ Top Down)

1. Not in use, due to cabling, can only be used for a header slot if used
  2. BD-RE drive
  3. Not in use, want to put in a dual drive hotswap bay as the vertical hotswap bay always feels like it performs less than it should and I no longer trust HDDs in a vertical position like this
  4. USB 3.0 x4 hub

I was poking at ideas in NewEgg and came up with a few things.

• Hotswap bay on the front using the USB3 headers
  • USB-C (USB3.2) port add-on
    • I found some adaptation that uses the USB3 headers directly, but didn't look hard enough for a mounting method yet.
    • Example
  • Internal PCIe based SSD / HDD solution to allow for (IDK what I'd do with it yet) so long as it doesn't impact my GPU performance (notice the trend?)
  • PCIe x1 Wifi card + BT upgrade
    • On the far end of ideas as I do plan to move this computer into the room where the router is next (?) year at which point I'll be connecting with Cat7
    • Nice Tech

Any thoughts on other things I could consider? The "purpose" of the computer was gaming and editing at first, but gaming mostly went away and it'll be a while before I can setup in a new room for video/photo editing (family project), so the add-ons are really more about using what I've got to its potential.

Edited by WanderingAries

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

• 3 weeks later

Addendum: If you have the cash handy, and haven't bought your CPU yet, keep an eye out in November.
The Zen3 Ryzen line is about to drop.

Some fairly HEFTY performance increases, even over late-model Zen2 Ryzens.  Though it may also drive down the price of the Zen2 parts into "Not the latest and greatest but DAMN that PRICE!" territory.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

8 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

"Not the latest and greatest but DAMN that PRICE!" territory.

Budget is King as it were in many cases.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

20 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

Yeah.  My budget's a bit bigger.
But damn if that performance bump isn't going "Y.O.L.O."!

Right along with your Electric bill 😛

Just now, WanderingAries said:

Right along with your Electric bill 😛

Actually no.  The Ryzen2 and Ryzen3 chips have roughly identical power envelopes.
Basically this is due to some of the core unit integrations they've done.
Instead of powering multiple core units and a bus between them, they just have larger core units and fewer busses.

27 minutes ago, Hyperstrike said:

Actually no.  The Ryzen2 and Ryzen3 chips have roughly identical power envelopes.
Basically this is due to some of the core unit integrations they've done.
Instead of powering multiple core units and a bus between them, they just have larger core units and fewer busses.

Well that's good for optimizing the paths and performance, that's for sure.

• 5 months later

In the same line of thought as above, what about this scenario. What if I wanted to use as many HD displays as my system can push? Say, up to 6. Could we do it? I've confirmed that the GTX 970 is rated to push up to 4 HD displays (2x DVI, HDMI, DP) and the Intel 3770k's appears to handle 3 HD displays, but IDK if it is even Possible to use both the onboard iGPU/APU at the same time as the discrete GTX 970. The motherboard has a very similar port listing (VGA, DVI, HDMI, DP), but I can't find where it says there is/isn't a limitation on which ports can be used at the same time.

Welp.  Due to some emergency dental bills (some very big ones) my free cash for the build got cut in half.

So, here's what $3600 will buy you.

• Case: Thermaltake Core X9
  • CPU: Ryzen 5950X
  • Cooler: Alphacool Icebaer modular/refillable AIO
  • GPU: RTX 2060 (recycled fro my current build because new GPUs just aren't available and NVIDIA's actually turning out new 2060s!)
  • Memory: 64GB Trident Neo Z DDR4000  (Not happy about the LED, but I can turn it off.)
  • Motherboard: ASROCK X750 Taichi RAZER (Not happy about the LED, but I can turn it off.)
  • PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-1000
  • Fan Replacements: Noctua NF-P14S  (The gray "Redux") fans with anti-vibration pads and anti-vibration mounts for case fans.
  • SSD: 3x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
  • HDD: 4x WD Gold 10TB

I wasn't able to just directly buy a 5950X..Trying to pick the component up by itself is akin to beating yourself across the crotch with a running chainsaw and a saltwater firehose...

I bought it as a bundle with a 27" monitor.  CPU: $799 MSRP   Monitor: $300 MSRP
Bundle: $1180 ($1280 after tax and shipping). 

So I'm gonna gift my boss with a new monitor I don't need.  Rather than try to resell the damn thing.

If anyone is TRYING to get this CPU and needs a new monitor:

https://www.antonline.com/Lenovo/Computers/Computer_Displays/Monitors/1424182  

Deal now out of stock as of 04/10/21.  :classic_mellow:

The markup over MSRP, when factoring both the chip and the monitor is only about $80.  Which is TOTALLY in reason.

Note: I'd PLANNED on going custom (or dual loop) water cooling.
My sudden expenses put the kibosh on that.
Thus I went the next best thing.  An "all in one" unit that's actually just individual regular watercooling parts assembled to look like  a regular AIO.  This way I can add on a GPU cooler if/when they start becoming available again.  And then, down the road, I can transition into a custom loop for better performance.

Edited by Hyperstrike

13 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:
  • Case: Thermaltake Core X9
  • CPU: Radeon 5950X
  • Cooler: Alphacool Icebaer modular/refillable AIO
  • GPU: RTX 2060 (recycled fro my current build because new GPUs just aren't available and NVIDIA's actually turning out new 2060s!)
  • Memory: 64GB Trident Neo Z DDR4000  (Not happy about the LED, but I can turn it off.)
  • Motherboard: ASROCK X750 Taichi RAZER (Not happy about the LED, but I can turn it off.)

On the items highlighted red:

1.  I think you mean Ryzen.

2.  I know, right?  What's with all the LEDs?  My memory, video card and PSU fan all have LEDs.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

2 hours ago, Ironblade said:

On the items highlighted red:

1.  I think you mean Ryzen.

2.  I know, right?  What's with all the LEDs?  My memory, video card and PSU fan all have LEDs.

1: Yeah.
2: For a display unit, cool.  Great.  Fine.  But when I'm working, I don't need all the flashing and throbbing and...wow that just sounds WRONG!

6 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

1: Yeah.
2: For a display unit, cool.  Great.  Fine.  But when I'm working, I don't need all the flashing and throbbing and...wow that just sounds WRONG!

Yeah, this case of mine has a nice toggle on the top/front that allows me to cycle colors and OFF as well.

2 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

Man... 64GBs of 4000MHz? Is it cheap? I mean... damn that's a lot of RAM. I have 32GBs of 3000MHz and I never see anything hit 16GBs usage. 

Hehehe, this isn't even my main VM machine and I've done it once or twice in the last couple years. I forget what it was I was doing, but it wasn't VM either. f remember capping it out a long time ago when I was testing how many accounts I could have open at once (CoX, Live Servers). The answer was roughly 2Gb per account. 😄

5 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

Hehehe, this isn't even my main VM machine and I've done it once or twice in the last couple years. I forget what it was I was doing, but it wasn't VM either. f remember capping it out a long time ago when I was testing how many accounts I could have open at once (CoX, Live Servers). The answer was roughly 2Gb per account. 😄

Yeah, I could understand a couple virtual machines or hosting a server. Not even main rig! Well that's not a bad rig regardless. 

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

18 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

Man... 64GBs of 4000MHz? Is it cheap? I mean... damn that's a lot of RAM. I have 32GBs of 3000MHz and I never see anything hit 16GBs usage. 

The difference between low-latency DDR3200 and DDR4000 was only about $60.
I don't plan on overclocking on a $4000 rig.  At least not immediately.
But I'm planning for the future.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

Eisbaer420.thumb.jpg.17fe04d918984d8cb0c9f1bbf456c79a.jpg

Would you like some CPU with that box?

5 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

The difference between low-latency DDR3200 and DDR4000 was only about $60.
I don't plan on overclocking on a $4000 rig.  At least not immediately.
But I'm planning for the future.

You know, it's funny how we just luck out quite often when it comes to what we need and want, part wise.

EXTREME 0.00001% PROBLEM INCOMING!

The board I ordered for my new rig was an ASRock X570 Taichi Razer.
$380.  Has all the features I require from a board.

So I get home today from work and find THIS has come for me.

WrongMotherboardA.thumb.jpg.9027edae8d2fb285a183783881ff5403.jpg

A $560 board!

I lucked out right?
spacer.png

While it's a nice board it's missing some of the things I require.
Not the least of which is Triple M.2 support.

So, back it goes!

I haven't built a new rig in a few years, however I have built some very good rigs with ASUS (inc Crosshair) MBs.  That photo made me drool a bit.  But I understand.  You have a goal.  Do not deviate or be tempted to compromise.  👍

I've zero experience with the m.2 stuff but it looks pretty cool.  Mind if I ask though..  where any of the other things that you consider showstoppers like m.2 support?  I ask because some day, maybe this year, maybe next, I am pondering building another rig and I like ASUS Crosshair so that MB would be a contender.  Which leads me to wonder what else it's missing?  (I confess I didn't read this entire thread through so if you already said it sorry)  

Sounds like you are building a beast!  😁

Want to see my current list of characters?  Want to know more about me than you ever wanted to know?

Wish Granted!   Check out the 'About Me' in my profile:   KauaiJim - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

Like all the equipment that's supposed to come with the ROG board.  It came in as an unwrapped open box.
Outside of the third M.2, the ROG is a slightly better board.
My setup kinda depends on the triple M.2 though.  Going OS, SQL, VM/Scratch Disk, as M.2 RAID-0 doesn't really increase throughput or latency, it just speeds disk queue processing.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

Like all the equipment that's supposed to come with the ROG board.  It came in as an unwrapped open box.
Outside of the third M.2, the ROG is a slightly better board.
My setup kinda depends on the triple M.2 though.  Going OS, SQL, VM/Scratch Disk, as M.2 RAID-0 doesn't really increase throughput or latency, it just speeds disk queue processing.

That answered the question I had. Why the 3. Granted, WTF NOT, but heh.

Aside from all of the above, since my performance stats Widgets (CPU, GPU, Network, etc) will eventually (possibly) break in the future (as they were retired for security for Win10); Do you know of something, maybe a breakout box, that would give me all the stats I would want to know at a glance? IE: The CPU/CPU ones show per core temps, usage, RAM/Swap utilization, etc and the Network shows me current utilization, etc. I'll probably have to deal with the Power Options (Restart/Sleep/Shutdown) widget when it finally breaks.

22 minutes ago, WanderingAries said:

That answered the question I had. Why the 3. Granted, WTF NOT, but heh.

Aside from all of the above, since my performance stats Widgets (CPU, GPU, Network, etc) will eventually (possibly) break in the future (as they were retired for security for Win10); Do you know of something, maybe a breakout box, that would give me all the stats I would want to know at a glance? IE: The CPU/CPU ones show per core temps, usage, RAM/Swap utilization, etc and the Network shows me current utilization, etc. I'll probably have to deal with the Power Options (Restart/Sleep/Shutdown) widget when it finally breaks.

You're looking for something like AIDA64.
You can buy a cheap little ($100 or less) HDMI screen (usually used for Raspberry Pi stuff.
You can then use AIDA to set up the monitors.
Here's a couple examples.  In the second one, DO NOT use the guy's reference for cheap software.
The place he's pointing to is a  bulk license abuser.  They buy a bulk license, meant for a business, then resell the key until it stops working.