Introduction to Arachnos Widows - Night/Blood/Fortunata

KaizenSoze

9 hours ago, Heraclea said:

From Victory days I seem to remember a slotting trick for Mind Link, where you couldn't slot the power for recharge in a straightforward way, but if you slotted Defense/Recharge buttons from many different defense sets, you could add substantial recharge to the power.  Does this still work? 

I'm pretty sure it does. (It doesn't work for Membrane Hamidon pieces)

This is what I believe to be the optimal (1), (2) slotting for Mind Link. After this you hit the point of diminishing returns HARD.

Level 24: Mind Link

• (A) Adjusted Targeting - Recharge: Level 50
  • (31) Shield Wall - Defense/Recharge: Level 50
  • (31) Luck of the Gambler - Recharge Speed: Level 50

(1) You can boost the the Shield Wall Defense/Recharge to +5

(2) The Shield Wall Global Resistance piece can be added here for the Regeneration bonus, if you don't have it elsewhere and have an extra slot.

Edited by tidge
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later
  • 6 months later
On 3/4/2021 at 5:09 AM, Gulbasaur said:

I'd say that PDD are almost incarnate tier and I wish there were more mobs like that. I'm one of the "the game gets too easy too easily" people and mechanics that can't by bypassed by just having lots of defence are always welcome.

Oddly, fortunatas (and mind controllers) might be the best weapon against Peacebringers - psi damage is their weak point.

A non-flying Fortunata is sure to be in a world of danger or trouble in the Master ITF challenge.  Just make sure you have inspirations disabled if you really want to test it. 

Go alone or in a very small team, and you will see what I am talking about. 

Cimerorans will be on you like Piranhas 

2 hours ago, Voltak said:

Cimerorans will be on you like Piranhas 

Yeah, but that's one specific bit of endgame content designed for groups, and what's life without an element of risk? I have tanked ITF on my fortnata, incidentally, but that was on a team mostly made of defenders and corruptors so we obliterated everything anyway. 

• Like 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

Yes, I understand very well, but without the team and without inspirations, the whole thing changes and they become formidable opponents.  

Now don't get me wrong.  
I have solo'd it without inspirations and done also teams of 3, at all times inspirations disabled and temps

But Cimerorans belong right up there with the list of dangerous foes for Widows .  That's for sure. 

Tanking with help is one thing

Same thing can be said with just about any mob, with the right help, it can be done.  

But do it without that and you will appreciate just how dangerous they are. 

Even with a team of suupport, take that team without inspirations or temps or amplifiers and see if it survives.  

Cimerorans are up there among the very dangerous mobs. 

I am only saying that from experience, not trying to give hyperbole 

Cheers

Edited by Voltak

• 11 months later

This is a fantastic guide/exposé of the Widow class, thanks guys! I'm trying my hand at one & just hit 20. Very end hungry and squishy so far, but I will power through to 24 & def re-spec as a purely ranged Fortunata, as I mostly solo and love to snipe from above (so Fly/Hover are almost mandatory).

So, does anyone have a link to a good, cheap, relatively beginner-friendly Fortunata Mids build please? I have around 100million Inf across all my mains/alts, but really don't want to blow it all if it's going to cost that much (or more!) to get a Fortunata viable!

If a low cost Fortunata will be a struggle, I'll prob just go back to my Ill/Dark troller or PB or even Beast/Nature MM, which are all fairly solo/low-cost friendly for levelling to 50, in my experience so far. I have no idea what I want to do at 50 - obviously, I may need to dip my toe in the team waters, although I hate letting others down if I'm crap at playing a particular role/class eh. Perhaps I should just go back to one of my Defender/Blaster builds for a pure ranged sniper hero...? Sorry, I know this is duplicate question/post from another thread,

So, any good, cheap, starter build for a Fortunata from 24-50 would be much appreciated, cheers folks, at least until this alt-o-holic finds his niche heh.

Game over man, game over!

• 4 weeks later
8 hours ago, Lockpick said:

Sorry, what do you mean by Membrane not working?  I have slotted 3 Membrane and seems to work fine.

You are only getting the Defense and To Hit enhancements from the Membrane HO slotted in Mind Link, not the recharge, unless Homecoming (recently) changed it.

You can do this experiment: click Mind Link with your current slotting and note the recharge time. After the power has recharged, use unslotters (I suspect you can afford them if you have 3 Membranes slotted) to pull out the Membranes and repeat the experiment. As long as all other things are equal (keep Hasten from being on auto, don't have temporary Global Recharge buffs that are different) you should see the recharge times are the same.

The HOs (and presumably D-Syncs) don't enhance those attributes of a power for which you cannot slot an IO. Mind Link doesn't take Recharge IOs; the recharge aspect from a Membrane isn't doing anything for Recharge time of the power. There was a period on Live when an HO could buff an otherwise unenhanceable attribute of a power, but that was changed prior to sunset IIRC.

This is different than it is for non-IO enhancement sets of a particular type (e.g. "Defense" or "To Hit" enhancement sets), which is why slotting something like the Adjusted Targeting Recharge piece works to reduce recharge time of Mind Link.

I should note: In the year+ since I've posted the optimal (minimal) slotting, on most of my solo Widow/Fortunata builds I no longer use the three-slotting in Mind Link because those builds typically were dedicating 6 slots elsewhere to get the Reactive Defenses set bonuses. I decided that it was a slightly more optimal situation to shift the diminishing returns from the other power and move it into Mind Link. Diminishing returns are still returns! I still can't bring myself to boost the ToHit portion of Mind Link, even for my team-friendly builds, the only content I ever ran where I felt like I missed that was lower level TFs at max difficulty in which I witnessed teammates missing a lot of attacks because of level shifts.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2022 at 6:21 AM, tidge said:

You are only getting the Defense and To Hit enhancements from the Membrane HO slotted in Mind Link, not the recharge, unless Homecoming (recently) changed it.

You can do this experiment: click Mind Link with your current slotting and note the recharge time. After the power has recharged, use unslotters (I suspect you can afford them if you have 3 Membranes slotted) to pull out the Membranes and repeat the experiment. As long as all other things are equal (keep Hasten from being on auto, don't have temporary Global Recharge buffs that are different) you should see the recharge times are the same.

The HOs (and presumably D-Syncs) don't enhance those attributes of a power for which you cannot slot an IO. Mind Link doesn't take Recharge IOs; the recharge aspect from a Membrane isn't doing anything for Recharge time of the power. There was a period on Live when an HO could buff an otherwise unenhanceable attribute of a power, but that was changed prior to sunset IIRC.

This is different than it is for non-IO enhancement sets of a particular type (e.g. "Defense" or "To Hit" enhancement sets), which is why slotting something like the Adjusted Targeting Recharge piece works to reduce recharge time of Mind Link.

I should note: In the year+ since I've posted the optimal (minimal) slotting, on most of my solo Widow/Fortunata builds I no longer use the three-slotting in Mind Link because those builds typically were dedicating 6 slots elsewhere to get the Reactive Defenses set bonuses. I decided that it was a slightly more optimal situation to shift the diminishing returns from the other power and move it into Mind Link. Diminishing returns are still returns! I still can't bring myself to boost the ToHit portion of Mind Link, even for my team-friendly builds, the only content I ever ran where I felt like I missed that was lower level TFs at max difficulty in which I witnessed teammates missing a lot of attacks because of level shifts.

Thank you for the response!

I did the test with unslotting the Membranes and you are correct.  I have a Membrane in TT: Vengeance and assume the Recharge portion doesn't work there either.  Kinda sucks because Membranes are not cheap!

I slotted ML with your slotting above, but used a LoTG Def/Rech.

Looks like I can reclaim a slot, so maybe I can 4 slot ML.

Seems weird to me that you can use IOs for recharge, but not HOs, but it is what it is.

Glad I stumbled on to this thread.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later

@KaizenSoze

I don't know if I've mentioned this, but I really appreciate your guide, among the handful of other amazing Widow guides in this sub thread, this one has given me a lot to think about for my second build slot. I'm in the process of saving up inf for a super purple crazy build, but know the situational purposes of these powers has given me pause to think. Like Confront and Subdue both get AVs to stop running, but otherwise aren't much use in a teaming build, that sort of thing. 

• Like 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

• 2 months later

I've just returned to this thread as I'm levelling a red-side widow on Torch, hit the level 24 respec and am using Gulbasor's Build 4 Fortunata guide. https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/11319-best-of-both-blood-widower-fortunado-build/

My white side Level 50 Widow, Funnellweb, is a beast, but I wouldn't recommend her unless you have a stupid amount of inf to throw at the build.

She is a favourite character of mine, and thus NO expense was spared in making her feel appreciated, but my bank balance felt it.

All six Superior Dominion of Arachnos, and all six Superior Spiders Bite, plus all six of Superior Blistering Cold, Ragnarok, Armageddon, Hecatomb, and Apocalypse. All done in the days where you didn't see change from 20 million an enhancement, so a long way to a billion inf just there, at least back then.

Then there's the six Shield Wall, six Reactive Defenses, five Panacea etc.... Even all the IOs are at 50+5

1293HP, capped psionic resist (a Widow speciality), resistances running around 35% except energy and negative at 12.5%, 44% damage bonus and 177% recharge bonus so she never ever slows down.

Works well with my play style, but oh so expensive. 

Edited by Ozgamer69
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later
On 3/1/2023 at 11:02 AM, Ozgamer69 said:

My white side Level 50 Widow, Funnellweb, is a beast, but I wouldn't recommend her unless you have a stupid amount of inf to throw at the build.

She is a favourite character of mine, and thus NO expense was spared in making her feel appreciated, but my bank balance felt it.

All six Superior Dominion of Arachnos, and all six Superior Spiders Bite, plus all six of Superior Blistering Cold, Ragnarok, Armageddon, Hecatomb, and Apocalypse. All done in the days where you didn't see change from 20 million an enhancement, so a long way to a billion inf just there, at least back then.

Then there's the six Shield Wall, six Reactive Defenses, five Panacea etc.... Even all the IOs are at 50+5

Oh. Fortunata must be the most expensive archetype to build.