Detectives Frietag and Becktrees

RikOz

Just out of curiosity, what factors determine whether Detective Becktrees or Detective Frietag becomes our hero's police contact in Kings Row? As far as I've been able to determine, there is no functional/gameplay difference between these two NPC - both hand out the police radio, and whichever one gave you the radio, that's the guy you talk to when you get a Safeguard mission.

I can't recall any specific contact sending me to talk to either of them - their yellow markers just show up when I first travel to Kings Row.

All the other detective duos are randomly assigned, but Becktrees and Freitag are assigned based on whether the character being played prefers donuts or cookies.

What if they prefer blintzes?

Pleased to meet you!  I am Animal, and I harbor Perverse Sexual Lust.

No one prefers blitntzes.

In all honesty, I think it is a simple matter of random selection.  Although, that "random" bit might actually be seeded by something like the first letter in your character's name.  The Global Name colours, for example, are "random" that way.

All the other detective duos are randomly assigned, but Becktrees and Freitag are assigned based on whether the character being played prefers donuts or cookies.

Blintzes are irrelevant, only the preference when given a choice between cookies and donuts.

Blintzes are irrelevant, only the preference when given a choice between cookies and donuts.

But what if you hate both of them, but love ice cream sandwiches?