What is Your Favorite Tanker Ever?!

Mythcreatio

Inv/SS.  Just for stand-alone toughness with no real downsides, it's where it's at.
My Rad/Rad because it got me thinking about better ways to kit out Resist-based tanks.
My Fire/Fire and Elec/Elec, because they benefitted from this.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

20 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Hmmmmmmmmm.

Edit: I'd be more interested if I didn't feel forced into the MG/Gloom/SL/Gloom attack chain.

No way, Fists of Fury is a constant must. It says it's a 120 degree arc but I swear they measured it facing backwards because I hit critters way to the sides of me. My chain is usually MG, Maul, Siphon Life, Maul, Bio clickies, etc. I have Gloom but don't usually get to it except for runners.

8 minutes ago, ninja surprise said:

I have Gloom but don't usually get to it except for runners.

Gloom is the best DPA for tankers (but TW)

Even above the all mighty Rend Armor (without considering Momentum), you should consider to use it on CD for ST dps.

gloom1.PNG.86819daabe7fc47eb266c30d86cd1b6a.PNG

• Like 1

Just another French Player

So Excuse my old, bad and too french English !

Join THE COSMIC COUNCIL !!!

https://discord.gg/DVksJ4N

11 hours ago, ninja surprise said:

No way, Fists of Fury is a constant must. It says it's a 120 degree arc but I swear they measured it facing backwards because I hit critters way to the sides of me. My chain is usually MG, Maul, Siphon Life, Maul, Bio clickies, etc. I have Gloom but don't usually get to it except for runners.

You're not wrong since it's 120º base and Tankers get a 50% buff. Enjoy your 180º mix of Dhalsim and E. Honda!

• Haha 1

I made a Rad/Spines to serve as a moneymaker for my new TB supergroup.  This is also a very satisfying combo with no real holes and high resists to all but Cold, and quite adequate damage. 

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

20 hours ago, Tsuko said:

Gloom is the best DPA for tankers (but TW)

Even above the all mighty Rend Armor (without considering Momentum), you should consider to use it on CD for ST dps.

Good to know, I'll slide it over on my tray!

Narrator: he then proceeded to join a Sister Psyche TF and couldn't use the most prominently placed powers in his tray.

Edited by ninja surprise
  • Haha 1

Rad/mace for sure! Mace is my favorite tanker secondary, and rad covers everything I could ever want in a primary. Crunch rip crunch.

I had a blast with my bio/ss, who is also my badger and a close runner-up.

I have plenty more I enjoy. I think the only one that ever made me go "bluh" is my elec/tw. Powerful, but, I just don't vibe with TW.

• 2 weeks later

First thing I should say, most of my toons are tanks, I love them, my very first character back during i6 was an Inv/FM tank, second Inv/EM, then Ice/FM, Stone/Stone ....

The one that I fell in love with was Fire/Fire, and this was pre-IOs and incarnates, before inherent stamina, so it was one ST attack, Scorch, until quite late, I just had so much fun with it, my first two 50s were Fire/Fire tanks, and they are the only 2 I remade on HC out of all my old characters, and now that they are IO slotted with Incaranate abilities they are just awesome fun to play,

I think part of the appeal is that for most of the time they run like any other tanker but there will be moments of "Oh crap" and you have to use whatever you've got to keep them going, which is fun

Oh, and the damage, which is nice, three PBAoEs, decent ST chain, which is great for holding aggro, good for soloing and sturdy enough for teaming

Electric armor/radiation melee! Three reasons why:

1. A damage aura from each!

2. A heal from each!

3. Aoe damage from contamination as well!

currently at lvl 49, and the hardest part of the build is finding and clicking the contaminated enemies when I am standing in a mob of enemies and a sea of damage numbers! It's a ton of fun, and the only reason I don't have it into incarnate levels is I go into a spiral of theorycraft and altitis whenever I think about the toxic resist hole electric armor has. (Does anyone else get "achilles heel anxiety" when playing armor-based archetypes?)

This is a really difficulty questions like picking between you favourite kids! I have four main tanks, my Rad/Kat who is insainly tough with decent damage. Then their is. my Fire/EM crunch master who is just a brute/scrapper in disguise, with burn at lower levels he is just a wild ride. My old live main who I recreated is a  Dark/DB and while note OP he is tough as nails and I love him for the nostalgia of everything we did back in the day, he was my fist tank to solo tank Lord Recluse, back when that was hard. Abd finally there is my new SD/MA tank who I am slowly  levelling  up via the " Good Mission guide", hitting DEF soft cap at lv 26 seems a little OP :). 

Basically tanks are amazing, my wife runs a SR/ICE tank my son a Bio/Rad tank we are crushing AVs and TF with just the three of us every weekend. It is a blast. TANK 4 LIFE🙂. One day I will roller a troller or def again but that day is not today!

Edited by MrWallace

Dark/Dark. Dark melee is a decent workhorse set, the debuffs are good and it has a heal in the attack chain. Dark Armour - when you get the endurance under control - is an absolute beast. The control auras are what do it for me, although it's definitely very sturdy. The Fear aura allows you to creep around the aggro cap a little bit as minions who are standing there shaking aren't attacking anyone

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

Tankers aren't normally my thing.  I never got one to 50 on live servers despite playing for a majority of the game's run.  I don't even remember having any in progress at shutdown.  Here on Homecoming though, I found my Tanker legs, or rather wings since her concept is a flaming angel/Valkyrie type deal, with a Fire/Dual Blades setup.  A lot more effective than I expected given the bad reputation Dual Blades seems to have, Knockdown IOs in Typhoon and Sweeping for crowd control with Fiery Embrace and Melt Armor really amplifying the damage which is one of the biggest problems I have playing Tankers and the IO building I put into it made it surprisingly sturdy, even managing to somewhat patch the Psi holes (though that's still the weak spot).

As of now, she's the only one.  I spend most of my time solo so running low damage ATs tends to not be my thing.  I'm trying a couple others though, maybe after the Energy Melee changes go into effect i'll try EM/Electric again, and I had a great idea for a Shield/Axe the other day i'm working on now (though I might have too many ideas going at once, such is CoH and altitis).

• Like 1

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

I've done Fire/EM in the past but it seems worthy of re-doing since Fire is still going to help with the lower AoE and Burn can take the place of the slow ET (if I'm not mistaken). Burn is only up every two rotations and slow ET falls every two rotations as well.

I'm not testing until the tweaking is over though (also because Shadowlands is about to hit and I've moved back to WoW).

• Like 1

• 1 month later
On 10/18/2020 at 11:51 PM, Bill Z Bubba said:

Hmmmmmmmmm.

Edit: I'd be more interested if I didn't feel forced into the MG/Gloom/SL/Gloom attack chain.

I'll add this: The S/Avalance Chance for Knockdown in DNA Siphon is hilarious.  Feels like Shield Charge on a faster recharge and with a saturated Soul Drain it regularly one-shots minions.

2 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Now that it's done and tested, shield/em is the best (numerically) tank I've played.

I've been powering through leveling my own Shield/EM, and I have to say it's a blast so far. My only 50 tank back on live was Inv/EM, and I didn't realize how much I missed the satisfying pom-pom sound til I started this guy up. Also holy poop does Combat Teleport make things awesome.

• Like 1

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...