What is Your Favorite Tanker Ever?!

Mythcreatio

Came late to tanking and have created six tankers so far.  Other than two failed attempts--my first (Fire/DB I think) and third (Ice/EM IIRC)--I have enjoyed each of them (DA/Fire, Ice/Stone, Rad/Psi, SR/TW, and Elec/Fire [still levelling at level 39]). 

SR/TW started as a jokey self-challenge. I had heard bag things about SR tanking and decided to push things by grabbing an offense set that was slow to start building aggro. Thinking about how to address the weaknesses really fired the imagination and I look forward now that he's 50 to continuing to work on enabling him to handle bigger and badder.

My first 50 on live was Inv/SS and still is my favorite tanker.  

I haven’t done much with tankers on HC (for reasons discussed to death on the forums) but I really enjoyed leveling and purpling out my Inv/TW, who at least before the recent patch was pretty painless to solo

A couple weeks ago I would have said my shield/EM tanker was my favorite. However, having recently started leveling up a bio/claws tank, I’m not so sure anymore. 

Both claws and bio provide a smoother leveling experience that EM and shield, IMO. My end game build for bio is not as sturdy as the shield build, but will be sturdy enough. Both have a nice boost to damage. Claws looks like it will definitely clear missions faster than EM due to having a lot better AoE. The single target doesn’t look like it will be too shabby either. Sure, I won’t have those nice ET numbers, but should still do fine. 

I will have to wait until I have the bio/claws up to level 50, fully slotted, and incarnated to know for sure. But so far, it looks like it may take the crown. 

I still have an shield/ma, katana/SR, TBD/war mace, and TBD/stone melee tank on the horizon. Also, if tankers ever get energy aura or Regen, then I will have to make some of those also. Energy aura is already my favorite on scrappers, brutes, and stalkers. I’m sure it would be amazing on tankers.  
So not sure who will end up being my favorite tanker. 

Edit: Forgot to include my plans for a dual blades tanker. Haven’t decided the primary yet. 

Edited by Saikochoro
  • Like 2

First 50 in the olden days:  Ice/SS (Whitewash on Guardian now on Indomitable).

Most played all time:  Stone/Fire (Earthforge, ditto).

Fastest to 50:  SD/DM (Dark Swan, ditto - and my next-to-last 50 before shutdown).

• 3 weeks later
On 10/15/2020 at 4:29 PM, Force Redux said:

Only wish Shield's mez resistance wasn't a clicky. But that's a small quibble.

It's actually a bonus because you can click it early and have a double stack of it's defense debuff resists... which is just right for covering that last bit of gap in your survivability.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

I’m currently rebuilding my Stone/Axe tank. I loved how she was able to herd and deal enough damage to keep crowds honest. Needed more help with buffs at first but once slotted with enhancement sets for endurance modification and damage she was a beast! The best part of Homecoming is the fun of rebuilding again with a better understanding of things. Plus. Now having about a million alts makes getting supplies easier.

Edited by bigchuckdogg

My favorite ever, was on live, WP/EM.  Was my name sake actually.  Then they nerfed EM and it was never the same!

I have enjoyed my Shield/Rad/Soul Tanker, but that's more due to concept and look, as I don't find Radiation Melee to be that fun of a set.

My new favorite: Super Reflexes / War Mace (Shovel). I have characters that can conjure swords made of ice, summon spirits from the underworld, and blast enemies with high-tech beam rifles, but my most powerful toon is an escaped convict who got high on stimulants, jumped the fence, and is now whacking villains with a garden spade. (They're very good stimulants.)

I just finished my first solo ITF on this one. Base difficulty, but with AV on. I didn't tick the boxes for the MoITF challenge, but I didn't die or use temporary powers. (Well, no powers that the game considers temporary.) I did use inspirations. No strategy was required for the final battle. I could just walk up to Romulus and his nicti and whittle them down one by one. It's likely that I could handle this at +0/8; I've done other Cimeroa missions at +0/8. Pretty sure I could not handle this at +4 without temporary powers; I don't have enough damage.

I've also completed AE 801.2 at +3/8 with no lores. There were deaths, and I ate inspirations like candy (as they dropped, nothing specially bought for the mission). I haven't chosen lores yet, but I may be able to beat this mission at max diff with a bit more damage.

My first 50 ever was an Invuln/Axe tank named Assisted Suicide way back when the level cap.was first raised to 50. Loved Tankers ever since.

On HC I have the following Tankers:

Bio/Staff

Sr/Rad

Elec/Rad

DA/Kat

Invuln/MA

Stone/Rad

I've been mulling over ideas for my next one and have decided to go:

Rad/Dark/Soul as just thinking about all the moving parts to those sets has me thinking wow. It will be made 2nd thing in the morning after I feed the dog and while the wife sleeps in.

• Haha 1

On 10/15/2020 at 2:20 PM, Xandyr said:

I have the following tanks:

Fire/Staff

Elec/Staff

Invuln/WM

Bio/Rad

Rad/Spines

Dark/MA

WP/Staff

Shield/Dark (work in progress...only level 32)

Ice/Elec

My favorite? Bio/Rad. It's fun, damn near unkillable, and it's awesome seeing you regen 200+HP/Sec.

The Elec/Staff was fun to play, as was WP/Staff. Fire/Staff has soooo much AoE. 

I'm thinking the new Shield/Dark tank will be a beast. But yeah....Bio/Rad is my fave.

do you have a build for the Bio/Rad? I am currently looking at this toon and would like to see.