Patch Notes for October 6th, 2020 - Halloween!

1 hour ago, DoctorBob said:

i deleted everything out and redownloaded it...works fine now

I'm getting the exact same problem-  When I click on Play, I get an immediate pop-up saying "Program Error.  We were unable to locate the game data files.  It is likely that your installation is corrupt and needs to be repaired.  The game will now exit."

I've deleted everything and re-installed/validated, then rebooted.  Under Options, my Launch Parameters box is empty and the box for manifests has http://patch.savecoh.com/manifest.xml in it.

Game worked fine yesterday, but as soon as I went to get into it today, this happened.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit:  I moved Tequila onto a different drive on my computer, redownloaded everything there, it worked and I was able to log in.  No idea what is different between the D and C drives on my computer, but it now works on C:.

Edited by ScoobertCDoo

• City Council
25 minutes ago, ScoobertCDoo said:

I'm getting the exact same problem-  When I click on Play, I get an immediate pop-up saying "Program Error.  We were unable to locate the game data files.  It is likely that your installation is corrupt and needs to be repaired.  The game will now exit."

I've deleted everything and re-installed/validated, then rebooted.  Under Options, my Launch Parameters box is empty and the box for manifests has http://patch.savecoh.com/manifest.xml in it.

Game worked fine yesterday, but as soon as I went to get into it today, this happened.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit:  I moved Tequila onto a different drive on my computer, redownloaded everything there, it worked and I was able to log in.  No idea what is different between the D and C drives on my computer, but it now works on C:.

The pattern seems to be the game being installed on a root directly D:\ for example rather than something like D:\Games\COH.

• City Council
1 minute ago, Voltor said:

No bugs yet but curious why Eternal night was adjusted for the event?

On the retail servers, Paragon typically ran the Halloween event for around 2 weeks.

Last year we ran it for an entire month so that people would have more of a chance to trick or treat or do banner events without feeling rushed to cram it all in.

There were a number of complaints that it being night all the time started to get really old after 3-4 weeks of it. So this year we're splitting the difference and breaking it up, keeping the extended event schedule but not running eternal night for longer than it was on retail.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

27 minutes ago, The_Warpact said:

Both mine and the wife account are fine, figured with all the problems maybe a positive "it works" post was needed.😉

50/50 here.  Just built two new computers and my game works fine after moving to the new system.  My girlfriend's game won't run.  What's weird is that our systems are IDENTICAL - all the same hardware, same video drivers, same anti-virus, etc.  I have a few things to try.  I'll post here for assistance if I can't get it to work.

• Confused 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

1 hour ago, Jon said:

Let people have their exploits imo. You GMs need to have your priorities checked.

So, an all volunteer effort, provided for free isn't sufficient?  Perhaps your own priorities, not to mention expectations, might bear closer inspection.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What was no more, is REBORN!

ok..thought it was fixed.  even got on once, i come back and now i get this....

Download error: hc-bin32/cityofheroes.exe
Size mismatch (9070592 vs 9070080)
Checksum Mismatch (de119620495e76e23526366ea3bb0281 vs b5fe54a78e698de2f020c79459b90622)Download error: hc-bin64/cityofheroes.exe
Size mismatch (10742784 vs 10743296)
Checksum Mismatch (29c33d1f235e6476eab21dd22d5ae15a vs 739e1521a3311d6d405945eb04b24a75)

Just now, DoctorBob said:

ok..thought it was fixed.  even got on once, i come back and now i get this....

Download error: hc-bin32/cityofheroes.exe
Size mismatch (9070592 vs 9070080)
Checksum Mismatch (de119620495e76e23526366ea3bb0281 vs b5fe54a78e698de2f020c79459b90622)Download error: hc-bin64/cityofheroes.exe
Size mismatch (10742784 vs 10743296)
Checksum Mismatch (29c33d1f235e6476eab21dd22d5ae15a vs 739e1521a3311d6d405945eb04b24a75)

i revadidated it and  came up...no idea whats going on since this patch came out today...never had 1 problem this whole time till today

So, I deleted everything from my document folder and downloaded the game again in C:/Games/CoH. No more fatal error, I can finally log in. It took me almost 6 hours but it was worth it. Hope this will help someone else 🙂

• Like 1

I'm not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

Got another report of "resume_info.txt" not working.   I attempted to rename it without the underscore, and moved it to the "data" directory, but neither did any good.

I don't remember this being an issue on the Staging version of this patch, but I may have just not noticed.  Logging in to Staging now, however, resume_info.txt doesn't seem to be working there either.

5 hours ago, DoctorBob said:

that ' isnt there, it was a copy and paste mistake.  i tried to go there and this comes up

Dude, spoiler tag. Use it.

• Like 1

Can't open COH on Mac after Halloween update. Application opens to the point of Ready to Play, then if I click the open arrow it thinks, starts to open the character selection screen by showing the Loading center-screen banner for about a second, then it halts and shows the following:

1091706039_ScreenShot2020-10-06at7_02_49PM.thumb.png.a031a3a4cf0a4e4d865419720bb80a76.png

Then if I click through OK three times the Program Error window goes away and leaves a completely blank City of Heroes window above the load screen. My Mac is up to date as of when I write this. How to proceed? 

Update: Went through a full rescan and still getting the same result. As a random attempt I tried to open CoH in Titan Icon v.1.71 and the character selection screen opened, the 'legacylayout 1' error did not occur. Normal login still not functioning. 

Edited by Brigadier
  • Like 1

Dunno if this is the place, but I have questions about the Banner Mission that is part of this event, and I'm hearing contradicting info as to how to make the banners Vulnerable. Can you provide clarity or should I ask this in another thread?

35 minutes ago, ineffablebob said:

Game works fine for me, but resume_info.txt no longer autofills my password (and from the other posts here, looks like I'm not alone). Minor deal, I can just copy-paste it from my PW manager, but it is a tad annoying.

Reallky would like to see a solution tto this, entering password each time is ^%$#@! tedious,

4 hours ago, Number Six said:

On the retail servers, Paragon typically ran the Halloween event for around 2 weeks.

Last year we ran it for an entire month so that people would have more of a chance to trick or treat or do banner events without feeling rushed to cram it all in.

There were a number of complaints that it being night all the time started to get really old after 3-4 weeks of it. So this year we're splitting the difference and breaking it up, keeping the extended event schedule but not running eternal night for longer than it was on retail.

Makes sense, so another question......about that Energy Melee.....:)

25 alts with all the badges!

4 hours ago, Ironblade said:

50/50 here.  Just built two new computers and my game works fine after moving to the new system.  My girlfriend's game won't run.  What's weird is that our systems are IDENTICAL - all the same hardware, same video drivers, same anti-virus, etc.  I have a few things to try.  I'll post here for assistance if I can't get it to work.

Okay, turned out to be an amusing problem.  She also noted that her video was not performing as well as she expected it to.  She asked, "Could I have plugged the monitor in the wrong place?"  Sure enough.  She had the monitor plugged into the motherboard's video and not the graphics card.  Shut down, plug the monitor into the graphics card, and the game works fine.

It gave an error message about being unable to load a library.  Apparently the motherboard video drivers aren't sophisticated enough to handle this antique game.  Our graphics cards handle it fine.

• Like 2

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.