Patch Notes for October 6th, 2020 - Halloween!

• City Council
On 10/6/2020 at 1:52 PM, The Curator said:

Resume_info.txt

• This should've been included in the patch notes but we missed it - apologies
  • Resume_info.txt can no longer be used to automatically log into the game
    • This functionality shouldn't have been accessible outside of development builds, and it's generally a bad idea to encourage storage of passwords in plaintext format
  • The upcoming Homecoming Launcher will eventually be able to expedite the launch process in a similar (but far more secure way
    • Note that this will not be a launch feature, but something added after release

This has just been added to the patch notes.

Edit: Some added context: A bunch of backend work has been done over the past few months as part of Page 6 and the upcoming launcher. As it's been happening over many, many months, we missed a bit when it came to putting the patch notes together.

• Like 5

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

• Retired Game Master

As a note for people who're missing Resume_info.txt, it's storing your password in plain-text, which is a terrible idea.

If you want to log in more easily and still use a good password, I suggest a password management tool.  There are several to pick from.  (Personally, I use Keepass.)  You tell the tool to put your password for this thing on the clipboard, then paste it in to whatever.

This works very well with City of Heroes and lets you use a complex password without having to bother knowing it.  A borderless full-screen game works fine with alt-tab to get to the password tool, and control-v pastes the password in to the password box.

BTW, on the Mac, it's Control-V to paste into the password box, just like it is on Windows.  Usually a Mac app would use Command-V, but the game still uses Control-V.  Other than that (which took me WAY too long to figure out) the password manager works fine there, too.

• Like 3

Honestly, I used the resume_info.txt out of sheer laziness. Nobody else has access here but me, so... *shrug*

I can spend the whole second or so it takes me to type in my password. 🙂

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

6 hours ago, RageusQuitus2 said:

Meant no disrespect.  However this i totally disagree with.  You just cant play the game and gear up a toon in what i consider a reasonable time.  If that was true why so many fire farmers?  Its not to get a toon to 50, its the lack of infamy and IO/market economics driving that.  All purely my opinion.  

It all depends on your definition of a reasonable time. You probably mean 'no effort and now' which is acceptable, just, y'know, not healthy. You -can- have this by playing in the test server btw.

There was someone on these forums who mentioned how they HAD to have a billion a WEEK to fund their new alts. And that is why they HAD to farm like mad despite not enjoying it.

The rest of us will slowly make money and then transfer IOs from one character to the other. Is it more work? Yes. But respec recipes cost one million so not exactly super expensive when a 30 minute Tinpex makes 25-27 mill.

Which brings me back to Tinpex. 25-27 million per 30 minute run is pretty decent. Not huge, but not bad. Do it on five characters and you get 100 mill. You've just earned a full set of purple IOs in one day.

Or just check the Market sub-forum and see how people have challenged themselves into earning a billion in a day by playing the market.

I have a feeling you will say this is still not fast enough though *shrug*

• Like 1

On 10/6/2020 at 8:52 AM, The Curator said:

Intel Graphics Compatibility

• Resolved a compatibility issue with Intel graphics chips on Windows 10 - the game no longer requires an external workaround involving dark rituals to function
    • If you're currently using the Intel OpenGL shim fix, you don't need to anymore
    • If you're currently using the Intel OpenGL shim fix and the game no longer functions for you, please post a dxdiag log in this thread
    • If you don't know what this is, you probably don't need to worry

Thank you so much. 

Sorry to see the resume_info.txt feature go, but you are right about the lack of security.

I should start following my own advice and use Keepass.

But, waaah!

OK, better now.

• Like 2

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

On 10/6/2020 at 6:52 AM, The Curator said:

Intel Graphics Compatibility

• Resolved a compatibility issue with Intel graphics chips on Windows 10 - the game no longer requires an external workaround involving dark rituals to function
    • If you're currently using the Intel OpenGL shim fix, you don't need to anymore
    • If you're currently using the Intel OpenGL shim fix and the game no longer functions for you, please post a dxdiag log in this thread
    • If you don't know what this is, you probably don't need to worry

This didn't work on my Intel Q45/Q43 Express Chipset video card.

Please don't spend time getting this card to work on my account, as it is in a VERY old PC that I was just curious if it would work. I only mention it as a point of interest. At most, I might do a little light AH gaming on it while I played on my main rig.

• City Council
52 minutes ago, Hardship said:

This didn't work on my Intel Q45/Q43 Express Chipset video card.

Please don't spend time getting this card to work on my account, as it is in a VERY old PC that I was just curious if it would work. I only mention it as a point of interest. At most, I might do a little light AH gaming on it while I played on my main rig.

The workaround in this release is only targeted at the driver used for the Intel HD 3000. If the Q45 driver doesn't load as a result of the same issue (i.e. it works when you shim it with the VersionLie compatibility database), I can add it to our workaround. I just need the name of the OpenGL driver dll you use for the shim and it would take 30 seconds to add to the list.

7 minutes ago, Number Six said:

The workaround in this release is only targeted at the driver used for the Intel HD 3000. If the Q45 driver doesn't load as a result of the same issue (i.e. it works when you shim it with the VersionLie compatibility database), I can add it to our workaround. I just need the name of the OpenGL driver dll you use for the shim and it would take 30 seconds to add to the list.

I never did try to get the shim working with it. It seemed like a lot of work. When I saw this note, I thought I'd try once more.

But now that you've responded, I may have to try to get the shim working so it can be added to the list -- you know, for science!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, EmperorSteele said:

and you can get almost 300 merits running it once (144 for subsequent runs).

The reward for Dr Q is 122 merits.  I think it was 144 at some point, but it isn't now.

10 hours ago, RageusQuitus2 said:

Meant no disrespect.  However this i totally disagree with.  You just cant play the game and gear up a toon in what i consider a reasonable time.  If that was true why so many fire farmers?  Its not to get a toon to 50, its the lack of infamy and IO/market economics driving that.  All purely my opinion.  

It would seem that what you consider "a reasonable time" is where the issue lies.  Since the devs and most of the players see it differently, you probably shouldn't ever expect this to get changed back.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

6 hours ago, Sovera said:

It all depends on your definition of a reasonable time. You probably mean 'no effort and now' which is acceptable, just, y'know, not healthy. You -can- have this by playing in the test server btw.

Yeah, I've got to agree. I've got 100-some alts and most of them I feel do get leveled up and equipped in "a reasonable time." I play most of them through from 1-50, they get inf, they get equipped - but I don't need perma-this or capped-that or billion dollar builds, and yet the game seems to work perfectly fine.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

7 hours ago, Greycat said:

Yeah, I've got to agree. I've got 100-some alts and most of them I feel do get leveled up and equipped in "a reasonable time." I play most of them through from 1-50, they get inf, they get equipped - but I don't need perma-this or capped-that or billion dollar builds, and yet the game seems to work perfectly fine.

Honestly you can PL a character to 50 in week, while playing the converter game and still have a billion inf by the end of said week. As others have mentioned, just follow what's in the market.

I think some player's expectations of "a reasonable time" is ridic.

1 hour ago, Manga said:

I'm tracking several issues right now, you'll have to be more specific.

Thanks for getting back to me Manga. I cant get past the Island rum screen. When I click ready to play I get the program error almost instantly. I've tried rescanning and using different manifests too.

Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 1.36.11 PM.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 9:02 AM, laudwic said:

Exit out of the game.  Exit out of Tequila.  Restart Tequila.  Watch it run patcher.  Restart Game.  You should be able to play with no more problems.  Profit.

I had the same issue and tried this and it did not work.  So I decided to do a fresh install...now when downloading I get this error:

Download error: hc-bin64/cityofheroes.exe
Size mismatch (575 vs 10744832)
Checksum Mismatch (00f96ca2a9d09cdba735133444df6c56 vs edee8daa82aa506ac6a0dbec94853aff)Download error: icon.exe
Size mismatch (532 vs 83982)
Checksum Mismatch (8421f0959ca2378bc8b804bbd839e274 vs 197baa2e5b8c02deddf8b73ab2cf8b01)

4 hours ago, GrayMatter88 said:

Thanks for getting back to me Manga. I cant get past the Island rum screen. When I click ready to play I get the program error almost instantly. I've tried rescanning and using different manifests too.

Do you remember installing XQuartz before?

8 hours ago, SonnyD said:

I had the same issue and tried this and it did not work.  So I decided to do a fresh install...now when downloading I get this error:

Download error: hc-bin64/cityofheroes.exe
Size mismatch (575 vs 10744832)
Checksum Mismatch (00f96ca2a9d09cdba735133444df6c56 vs edee8daa82aa506ac6a0dbec94853aff)Download error: icon.exe
Size mismatch (532 vs 83982)
Checksum Mismatch (8421f0959ca2378bc8b804bbd839e274 vs 197baa2e5b8c02deddf8b73ab2cf8b01)

I'm getting a similar download error for the exe after today's update.

Edited by TalonMC

14 hours ago, GrayMatter88 said:

Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 1.36.11 PM.jpg

I'm in the exact same boat...have rescanned multiple times and get the tiny little error box with nothing else

On 10/7/2020 at 6:13 PM, Sovera said:

Or just check the Market sub-forum and see how people have challenged themselves into earning a billion in a day by playing the market.

I have a feeling you will say this is still not fast enough though *shrug*

I didnt read all the quotes of my post.  Mostly cause it was an early morning one and Im a bit embarrassed about how it came out.  Again I meant no disrespect to anyone.  And I didnt make much use of the merit exploit, despite knowing of it for at least 6 months and having many friends who took advantage. 

Its not the speed.  Its that I cant realize similar funds running varied and normal content in the same amount of time spent in an AE farm.  I dont find playing the market enjoyable at all (especially since I regularly loose out no matter how long I sit on a bid or a sale).  Nor crafting.  I just want to play a toon on teams and missions and know Im not wasting time in regards to gearing up.  And right now thats not the case in my opinion. 

20 hours ago, horo22 said:

I'm in the exact same boat...have rescanned multiple times and get the tiny little error box with nothing else

A couple of Mac players had success removing the coh folder and the .privatewine folder from their user folder, and reinstalling from scratch.