Slotting Freezing Rain Procs or No?

VV

Okay, I am still unclear on this whole proc thing. For FR, I have it slotted right now with some damage procs and a KD. But, I think it has been said that damage procs in a DoT power aren't so good. The KD proc seems to keep them flopping, so that's good. But, other than that, am I wasting slots?

FR does Knockdown anyway so all that flopping may just be that (it most likely is). Rains (and auras, which a rain kind of is) check for procs once every 10 seconds, crucially on the basis of 10 seconds recharge. Couple that with the large AOE of FR and the proc rate isn't great. 

It's not that it's a DoT really, it's the fact that most "rains" are an invisible pet with an AOE aura and this is how PPM procs work with them (also why aura powers themselves like Hotfeet aren't a great place for them either)

I usually would go with just maxxing out recharge and maybe slotting an Achilles Heel (because even the chance of a bit more -resist is probably a good thing). 

Edited by Carnifax

I wouldn't bother with Defense Debuff, as it already has a really high debuff, and go for Rech and End/Rech IOs. I think there's a set with both of those that gives 2% damage bonus with two IOs from the set, so that would be a good start.

14 hours ago, Coyote said:

I wouldn't bother with Defense Debuff, as it already has a really high debuff, and go for Rech and End/Rech IOs. I think there's a set with both of those that gives 2% damage bonus with two IOs from the set, so that would be a good start.

Also a good idea, I've done both.  A lot of Stormies have end issues and certainly dropping Freezing Rain repeatedly can be costly.  Bottom line is getting that recharge down, the rest is really preference and gravy.  If slots are tight a pair of +5 recharge IOs is also a solid choice.