POLL—Worst MM epic pool!

Zauhesi

I’m surprised nobody went for field with the KB. I’ve heard that charge is effectively a worse version of other pools but I don’t think that alone makes it worse than others. Heat’s lack of armour has been a point whenever it’s brought up and that makes sense. I’m interested in the statement that fire would be top *but* it lacks armour. Is it really that heavy?

• Like 1

Charge Mastery. Worse in every way compared to the superior Mu Mastery. Surge of Power is no replacement for an armor. EM Pulse, the other unique draw to Charge is often skipped even on Controllers who get it in Radiation. It has no Immob, which is important to MMs. 

Heat should have an armor, right now Bonfire saves the set due to its mitigation. But it still needs Flame Shield in replacement of Rise of the Phoenix. Self rez for masterminds makes no sense, as the set-up time to get back into battle is just too long before your immunity expires. 

Field Mastery is 'meh'. But not as terrible as Charge Mastery. You at least get a decent armor and an attack out of it, though unless its for theme, I don't usually recommend non-Primary attacks for MMs. I took the Ice Blast for my Bots/Cold, for example. 

There is an Epic Pool breakdown in this forum that was very well done. But in a nutshell, I'd rate them as follows, in my experience:

Tier A (offers at least two valuable things to MMs, one of which is a shield)

Soul 

Mace 

Mu

Leviathan

Chill

Tier B (offers at least one valuable thing to MMs)

Heat

Field

Tier C (offers nothing of real value)

Charge

Edited by Force Redux
  • Like 4

@Force Redux on Everlasting

----- (read my guide) -----

Gather the Shadows: A Dark Miasma Primer for Masterminds

5 votes for Mace mastery (at the time of this posting) as the worst?!?! Um... crack is wack.

• Like 2

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

Let the MM APPs stand as a reminder of what happens when a feature is rushed and not thoroughly thought out. Of all the player-facing features of Going Rogue and the side-switching system, the new MM APPs for Going Rogue seem like they received the least amount of consideration. It looks like more effort was put into coming up with names for the pools than making sure the pools were good. At launch the power icons didn't even have matching colors in most of them (in fact, I'm pretty sure the matching icons they have now are a SCoRE/Homecoming thing). And now all these lame duck powers are protected by the cottage rule. Magnificent.

Edited by Vanden
  • Like 4

I'm not voting Best or Worst here, just stating:

My Bots/EA uses Charge Mastery for the hold, thunderstrike, and ESD. The hold is most useful. Thunderstrike is of course weak sauce, but it fits theme. ESD recharge is excessive but I do use it.

I just found out that AmpUp doesn't buff my bots, so I might take Hasten to reduce the EMP recharge time.

My Beasts/Nature uses Field Mastery for the TI shield only. 

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

And another thing about the MM Epics! They gave an electric APP to an AT that already had access to a perfectly good electric-themed epic in Mu Mastery, and didn't have a single primary or secondary that matched the electric theme!

• Like 1

• 1 month later
3 hours ago, mcdoogss said:

Doesn’t fire mastery have bonfire though that with the kb-> kd IO is pretty decent

Yes. I've used it as well as other epics. While it doesn't have a shield, bonfire provides significant mitigation and damage. But it does require a KD IO for this performance. 

@Force Redux on Everlasting

----- (read my guide) -----

Gather the Shadows: A Dark Miasma Primer for Masterminds

I'm really not seeing why Leviathan is getting so much hate when it has a nice ranged hold (that turns off flying) and a resist shield.  Cold is very close but has a 'sleep' with its hold which is much worse. You don't need the heal with most MM sets as they include a very strong heal (if you are playing MM and can't heal yourself/pets...... I dunno what to say). Levi is also really fun thematically.

That being said charge is the big loser as its 'shield' is really not useful except for pvp. Cold too has a near copy of that power - which makes me question why more people don't hate it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later
  • 3 weeks later

Fire is fine, if your secondary is Trick Arrow. Char will ignite the Oil Slick (I don't believe Bonfire does?), and Rise of the Phoenix comes in handy if you faceplant. But I agree the set needs a shield.

I have a Mercs/TA with Fire, and I like to combo Glue Arrow or Oil Slick Arrow (or both) with Bonfire. 

I also have a Bots/Dark with Fire, but he really only uses Bonfire, and I may respec out if it down the road.

(Which sets have KD IO's?)

• 2 weeks later

The poll *does* say without enhancements. Bonfire's terrible without a kb to kd. Definitely down at the bottom with charge mastery. 

What's this about amp up not affecting pets?! Amp up's the set defining power of elec affinity! Where's the logic in that?!

Edited by Katharos
26 minutes ago, Katharos said:
29 minutes ago, Captain Powerhouse said:
On 3/16/2021 at 4:10 PM, Katharos said:

why isn't sentinel bioarmour's athletic regulation getting a look?

Oversight, it will be addressed in the next build.

Oh no. Oh god. What have I done? 

• 2 weeks later
On 2/4/2021 at 8:29 PM, Katharos said:

The poll *does* say without enhancements. Bonfire's terrible without a kb to kd. Definitely down at the bottom with charge mastery. 

What's this about amp up not affecting pets?! Amp up's the set defining power of elec affinity! Where's the logic in that?!

Amp Up may be tier 9, but Faraday Cage is the defining power in Electric Affinity.