Installing the new Homecoming Launcher on a Mac (LaunchCat)

GM Manga

• Game Master

Sorry I haven't updated this sticky post in quite a while - Homecoming Launcher is now available for direct download and install:

1.  Download LaunchCat.

2.  Extract the LaunchCat archive and launch the LaunchCat application by double-clicking it.  It might require an administrator password.  Wait for it to complete.

3.  After the install/update completes, the Homecoming Launcher will launch automatically.

Edited by GM Manga
Updated Information
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Mac expert and designer of Homecoming for Mac.

• Jimmy pinned this topic
On 10/12/2020 at 2:23 PM, GM Manga said:

Method 2

1.  Download the Mac Installer from https://islandrum.eekstudio.com/mac-installer.zip.

Just FYI, the URL has an extra period at the end, causing a 404.

Also, Method One hangs up here and gives me an error saying "one or more files could not download."1309434404_ScreenShot2020-10-13at5_29_56PM.png.7d9620432f0907e416908b8097368a85.png

Method Two gives me this error when trying to launch, though the launcher is not already running.

644514099_ScreenShot2020-10-13at5_29_54PM.png.0677b7ecc47dd7159c3dc6f4ea3172ee.png

Edited by chibimoon99

Seconding seeing the same error on method 2.

(Late 2014 mac mini, 4gb RAM, Catalina 10.15.7)

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Thanks for keeping the fun going! I'm having a different error when using method 2. Any help would be appreciated

I seems to get through the install fine until I'm clicking the CoH icon in my application folder to launch,

• then a window pops up "select a folder to install the Homecoming client into."
    • I'm not very computer savvy, I'm unclear where to save it.
  • I tried to save it here: Z:\Applications\CoH\homecoming\Homecoming but receive an error:
    • "An error occurred copying the launcher program files. This may indicate the interference of anti-virus or other security software that does not recognize the launcher as a trusted executable"
      • what I've already tried to fix this: allowing incoming connections from the CoH app through my firewall, and allowing it through my Security & Privacy settings

Background info that might be helpful:

Thanks for any pointers on how to fix this!

Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 10.43.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 10.49.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 11.01.17 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 10.01.08 AM.png

• Game Master

I'm still not sure why some Mac players are getting permission issues like that, where the CoH folder basically becomes invisible to Windows apps.  I'm following a few people with this issue to see if I can find something that works.

Edited by GM Manga
  • Thanks 1

I can't read it very well *glances at glasses across the room*, but that last image looks very much like the one I get when trying to run the "city of heroes.exe" file directly instead of through the new launcher (because I like poking things).

Edited by WanderingAries

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

• Game Master

Anyone who had issues using Method 2:  Download it again.  It's been replaced with a new installer that will try and set the correct coh folder permissions whether you like it or not!  That should put an end to the Launcher being unable to write to its folders.

On 10/15/2020 at 4:45 PM, GM Manga said:

Anyone who had issues using Method 2:  Download it again.  It's been replaced with a new installer that will try and set the correct coh folder permissions whether you like it or not!  That should put an end to the Launcher being unable to write to its folders.

Mmh I'm still receiving the same attached permission error with Method 2, no clue what's up. I made sure I had a clean uninstall before trying. 

Thanks for your help on this!

Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 6.13.33 PM.png

Just downloaded #2 and I'm having to manually goto the System Preferences to do this. Maybe have a way to show a window describing this with a "click here to open SP" followed by what to click?

Warning: The new launcher does NOT seem to give the option to change the installation location (but the old one does), so your best bet is to clone the old install, rename it, and use Island Rum to point to that folder so that the New launcher can go to applications/coh. This is assuming that you're trying to keep clean installs safe from each other, otherwise (need to test) I honestly don't think it matters too much.

Mojave 10.14.2

MBP 2012

Edited by WanderingAries

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Just an observation, but it looks like the examples above are for the OLD launcher, not the new one. Mine went through just fine (see permissions thing) and I have the new one (not what they're showing above).

Edit: Mind you Island Rum had already been installed so I basically just downloaded the new launcher and ran it without any issues. That might change things I think.

Bug or Known Behavior: I can't use the MacOS copy/paste within the Launcher settings window

Suggestion: Can we get a HC icon file or change the Launcher's Icon to match the new Launcher?

Note: I had to tell Webroot the installer (installf_x86.exe) wasn't a threat 

Recap:

1. Island Rum was already installed, but I cloned my applications/coh folder to applications/CoX_Old and deleted the contents of coh
  2. Downloaded and ran the new launcher from the downloads folder
  3. The installer followed through and put files into the applications/coh folder after having to manually go into the System Preferences and allow the installer (one click)
  4. The told all the games to install (one errored at first), logged in to my account (in launcher), adjusted my settings
  5. Game launches to login without a hitch
  6. (need to do a write-up on what files to put where form old install)
  7. Character loaded to Steel Canyon without issue
Edited by WanderingAries
  • Thanks 1

I did a thing:

• Thanks 1

• Game Master
On 10/19/2020 at 9:22 PM, Fool for You said:

Mmh I'm still receiving the same attached permission error with Method 2, no clue what's up. I made sure I had a clean uninstall before trying. 

Thanks for your help on this!

Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 6.13.33 PM.png

If anyone is getting this, the correct path is Z:\Applications\coh\Launcher

Catalina Test:

Moved Island Rum

1. Renamed \Applications\coh to \Applications\CoX_Old
  2. Launched Island Rum
  3. Clicked the Settings button in the top left of the Launcher
  4. Changed the Root folder to CoX_Old
  5. Followed the prompts and clicked "Install" 2-3 times
  6. Done

Installed New Launcher

1. Downloaded from the link in the original post, Method 2
  2. Unpacked the Installer (double click)
  3. Launched the Installer
  4. Got "Can't be opened because it's from an unidentified dev"
  5. Clicked "Ok"
  6. Opened System Prefs -> Security & Priv -> General" <---I'd recommend triggering this automatically @GM Manga
  7. Clicked the "Open Anyway" button
  8. Got "Are you sure you want to open" dialog
  9. Clicked Open
  10. Clicked "Continue" on Installer
  11. Made sure Install location/drive was correct (Default was "Catalina", the name of my Catalina drive)
  12. Clicked "Install"
  13. System pwd prompt
  14. Clicked "Install Software"
  15. Installed without issues
  16. Clicked Close

Unlike the OP's steps, I created a shortcut on the desktop (Make Alias, drag->drop) and left the app in the Applications folder

First Launch

1. Clicked "Accept" to the EULA
  2. Logged into the launcher
  3. Triggered the downloaded of all the Game types
  4. ***ten years later***
  5. Launched a game
  6. No issues

Post Install Migration

1. Followed my guide
  2. Tested
  3. No issues

@Manga, while trying to test the first process on Catalina, it spat errors galore (couldn't download file). I don't need a resolution, but I wanted to point it out.

3 hours ago, Manga said:

What kind of errors?

I'd have to test again, but it was trying to download a pair of files (core new launcher files?) and kept cycling between the two in a neverending attempt to complete. I gave up because I wasn't up to messing with it (or Catalina) at the time. I moved my backup folder back into place and no errors launching either launcher.

On 10/30/2020 at 1:33 PM, Manga said:

What kind of errors?

Using Method 1:

• I stop the file download once it starts the "1 of 161" (PIGG files) process
    • I've even allowed this to proceed fully with the same result
  • Then I go add/change the manifest you have
    • I've even tried removing the old entry and deleting the hidden PLIST (?) that stores the manifest URLs (before even attempting)
  • It then attempts to download launcher.exe and launcher64.exe and it fails but attempts several times until it quits

Error.png.b312bc7d2392425c654cadca322ef124.png

Edited by WanderingAries

I did another thing:

22 hours ago, Gattaca said:

Method 2 worked seamlessly for me, no hiccups at all. Except now I can't get vidiotmaps to work.

Follow this:

@GM Manga, I did another thing that relates to Big Sur (Beta) that should make you happy/relieved.

• 4 weeks later
  • 2 months later

@GM Manga, keep it up as your work seems to be good for the future as well!

Edited by WanderingAries

• 3 weeks later

I get this message now from Terminal 

Last login: Fri Mar 12 01:50:45 on ttys000

censors because of name ls-MacBook-Pro ~ % /Users/censored name .Trash/coh/wine/Contents/Resources/wine/bin/wine64-preloader ; exit;

Usage: /Users/censored because of name /.Trash/coh/wine/Contents/Resources/wine/bin/wine64-preloader wine_binary [args]

Saving session...

...copying shared history...

...saving history...truncating history files...

...completed.

Deleting expired sessions...none found.

[Process completed]