Installing the new Homecoming Launcher on a Mac

GM Manga

Try going into your System Preferences -> Security/Privacy and see if there's something asking for you to allow near the bottom.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  The City Representative (Info site for all servers)  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

On 1/28/2022 at 6:57 AM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

*bump*

...came here to ask this, as the Mac is starting to nudge me a lot about Monterey and I'd prefer it didn't frag anything.

Y'all are gonna make me load a VM aren't you. I've sold the M1, so no more testing that for me anytime soon.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  The City Representative (Info site for all servers)  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

37 minutes ago, WanderingAries said:

Y'all are gonna make me load a VM aren't you. I've sold the M1, so no more testing that for me anytime soon.

spacer.png

(Seriously, I just got back into CoH just as my 2015-era Mac Pro is starting to bite the dust. I was most worried about the on-board GPU not being able to work with it, but now Monterey is having its own fun with apps old and new...)

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

Oh the game plays just fine on the platform. It's if there are any particulars about Monterey that I'm not sure of.

• 8 months later
On 3/29/2021 at 3:21 PM, TheHumbleUnicorn said:

Hi Manga,

Thanks so much for your reply =D

The CoH folder had all permissions turned to Read & Write for all users and applied to all sub folders. I also updated my OS to Big Sur and experienced the same issues.

However, after much spelunking through the forums I discovered that another user bypassed this issue using bootcamp which I completely forgot existed.

Yesterday I was able to successfully partition my drive, install the windows client and log on to the game.

It is not the ideal solution but I found a way!

Thank you for all of your help and I will definitely try any new mac launcher builds that come out to see if I can get it running on my main partition.

So appreciative of what you guys do!

All my best =D

just popping back into this thread… @Manga has been amazing this week trying to help me get my HC launcher running. Everything with the install works fine until the issue @TheHumbleUnicorn had. I since found that my ISP blocked the bit between launching Launcher.app (wine) and the HC Launcher opening. I could fiddle with the ports on my router, but if I go on my phone hotspot, open Launcher, HC launcher opens, go back to normal wifi, then it’s fine.

So it’s permissions but not my computer’s, but internet for me! Only spotted this behaviour when I took my laptop into work and it opened fine on that network but not at home.

This - I think - might cover the problem?

https://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1942594.html 

@Xiddo on Excel. Alts: Agent Betel - V_archetypeicon_dominator.png.5633ed21aff3ea441cdd024895843d4a.png Athosin - Archetypeicon_peacebringer.png.9e329a8a509066a020fd4635ccbb4385.png Nisotha - image.png.c44c4b37be8839626cedeee9a8966397.png Anapos - V_archetypeicon_corruptor.png.f105930c83b316a39d147c7de8c7e017.png Atomic Chilli - V_archetypeicon_brute.png.b1e0b25149b74ff24ce1fd3603064e6e.png Bainbridge - image.png.fc49fb2cec0488ed5cd6d82f5ea9260a.png

• 1 month later
9 hours ago, Sassitude said:

I'm running Ventura and get this error message:

“Mac CoH Installer.pkg” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.

I think you can right/shift click the file and run it anyway, but this may also trigger an 'allow' in the security & privacy settings as well. I've not tested in Ventura yet, so haven't seen what it looks like for the game installer.

And this is exactly it...give or take a couple other things. Update posted to the guide in my links:

@Manga, IDK how I'd test the last bit of my post there, but feel free to give feedback.

Edited by WanderingAries