Pipedream: Being able to use a ranged based set with Blackstaff equipped

Ejlertson

On 10/21/2020 at 8:34 PM, oedipus_tex said:

While this is by no means definitive, a bit of good news is it seems at least some powers do line up with the an origin point on the weapon rather than a fixed origin on the player. Of course there are other factors that might make this difficult or inconsistent across powers, but its good to know.

image.thumb.png.807d3bfb62b4ad7812a968db62f38b16.png

Yes, the engine support that. Some blaster powers also have alternative animations with different origins.

It could definitely be a new powerset, like a Magic Wand powerset, but it would be hard to add it to existing power sets.

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

BlueYellowRed.png.cffb9b692dd0484133ca1d9ee2c8c4ce.png

On 10/14/2020 at 11:37 AM, Twisted Toon said:

I recall that a lot of the power-sets got alternate animations back on live. both Melee and Ranged.

Making a wand alt animation for blast sets, would require new animations to be made.

Which is why I think it would be a veeeeery long time in coming, if at all.

I'm sure someone would like to have wand alt animations for some control sets as well.

Wingardium Leviosa, anyone?

First off, some of us would be satisfied with even just the one want animation.  I don't envision us all wanting to be Harry Potter wizards.  Personally, for me, I'd be happy with the idea that my character is pointing the wand device at a target and letting the magic of the wand "do the work" of knowing how to make the target react.

And yes, I'd also love to see and use applied to control sets.... as well as mixed into dominator Assault and blaster Manipulation sets.

Honestly, I'd even like to see the wands pop up in some of the weapon melee sets.  Let me pummel people with the Blackstaff in the war Mace Set... or swing a pair of them in Dual Blades and say it's the magic that's cutting, not the staff itself.  While we're at it, why can't I clunk people over the head with a Nemesis Staff in War Mace and/or Staff Fighting?

And can we finally say that the Ghost Slaying Axe really is not so special that it can't be proliferated into the Battle Axe power set so I can look like I'm swinging the same axe when I'm switching between the battle axe attacks and the Ghost Slaying Axe temp power?  "Why isn't it always doing extra damage to undead, then?"  Oh, good point... maybe because it needs to recharge between attacks or willed (use that attack specifically) to cause the bonus damage.

More options, basically.

On 10/14/2020 at 3:19 PM, Luminara said:

Eeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhh.  It would be really easy for the one-handed weapon animations, that's just changing a skin, but there'd have to be additional tweaking done to move the emanation point, and it would still look odd to swing a wand like a sword or mace.  It could also be done for the two-handed weapon animations, with work to move the skin into both hands instead of one hand, but would look even weirder.  The two-hand animations just weren't designed with one-hand use in mind, or for ranged particle effects in most cases.  For the ones which do display ranged particle effects, like Serpent's Reach, it would really look odd using them with a wand, even a two-handed wand.

Another thought occurred to me, though.  The Blackwand has a draw animation.  That could be used as a third animation for transposition in sets.

It would actually be a lot easier to just insert the model into the character's hands for non-attack powers.  Buffs, debuffs, turning on toggles, powers of that sort.  No projectile in most cases, so no particle emanation point to move and less concern about how goofy some of them might look because they're the less frequently used powers.  Some of those powers would also be candidates for altering to attack animations, like the Force Field buff animation (leaning forward slightly, one arm extended, casting the buff), and might be the better options to pursue for making the last one or two animations.

Bottom line is it is feasible, and as I keep saying, comparatively easier than making entirely new animations, and there are some ways which would be easy easy and some that would be easy but not as easy, but there's also the question of time and resource availability.  Any of these ideas can work, but the people doing these things are still learning how to manipulate the necessary tools, and doing it in their spare time, and trying to fix problems and deliver new content as well.  It's going to be a back burner project, if it's a project at all.

Yup.  New animations are probably a deal breaker, so work with what we have.  And it's a fact that emanation points can be moved with the alternate animations... and there plenty of animations that could be used with the wand in hand that could be alternates.

On 10/18/2020 at 11:30 AM, Twisted Toon said:

You would need a swish and flick for any power that did knock up.

You absolutely would not need such an animation for those kinds of powers.  That would be your preference, and I get that, but it is not a necessity.  Honestly, every single power could be the basic wand point & shoot and it would work fine, although people like you would probably find it boring.  But not everyone thinks the same way.  Personally, I would be happy to see the basic animation used and get the idea out there... and then work on additional options later by putting in other animations as alternates for power customization.

Edited by Player2

6 hours ago, Player2 said:

You absolutely would not need such an animation for those kinds of powers.  That would be your preference, and I get that, but it is not a necessity.  Honestly, every single power could be the basic wand point & shoot and it would work fine, although people like you would probably find it boring.  But not everyone thinks the same way.  Personally, I would be happy to see the basic animation used and get the idea out there... and then work on additional options later by putting in other animations as alternates for power customization.

I guess I forgot to put the 😋in there for that one comment.

Honestly, I figured that everyone would realize that it was meant in jest.

Looks like I was mistaken.

• 1 year later
On 10/14/2020 at 2:25 AM, Piecemeal said:

It begins! I have been SUMMONED!

I hate to say I haven't dabbled in this yet. I think I have enough know-how in each of the systems involved, but there's underlying things everywhere that get me yelled at on the reg for not knowing about.

I'll add to my wishlist of rainy day projects though!

Had any rainy days recently 😉
If not, how is the local forecast 😄

Before you post or reply to anything online allways remember Wheaton´s Law!

20 minutes ago, Ejlertson said:

Had any rainy days recently 😉
If not, how is the local forecast 😄

I doubt you're going to get a reply, unfortunately. Piecemeal retired early this year and hasn't posted anything to the forums in six months.

Edited by El D

Global is @El D, Everlasting Player, Recovering Altaholic.

2 hours ago, El D said:

I doubt you're going to get a reply, unfortunately. Piecemeal retired early this year and hasn't posted anything to the forums in six months.

Damn, I forgot that 😞
Thanks

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later
  • 1 year later
Posted (edited)

I know Piecemeal left but I still dream about this. 

Hoping in vain that some other dev decides it would be a fun project. 

Edited by Ejlertson