WanderingAries

[Opinion Request] General Desk/Gaming/Movie Chair

I'm in the midst of reorganizing the house including my room and the standalone computer/network room. That of course spawns the evil (?because money?) Amazon lists, overthinking, and wishing. The current list focus is a chair that can be used for sitting "at work", gaming, and movie watching. It's entirely possible that this will end up being bought in pairs or two separate chairs in the end, but for now lets assume it's all-in-one. I'm also looking at relevant accessories.

Requirements:

Spoiler

• High Back
    • After looking around, it seems I want something that basically wraps around me and big enough that I won't be hanging past it due to my (average) height.
  • Sturdy Construction
    • I don't want it falling apart just because I end up finding that I sit or lean a certain way in it. Most of the good ones seem to have a weight limit of 300 lbs+ and that makes me mentally equate it to surviving however I end up sitting in it.
  • Soft Surfaces
    • See the first requirement as it needs to not hurt because it lacks enough cushion between me and the rigid supports it needs. Most of the ones I've seen that are supposedly softest are the non-leather types.
  • Tilting Ability
    • Kinda obvious, it's like a car seat, it needs to be adjustable.
  • Dual-Point Mounted Arms
    • See the example for what I mean. After looking at so many and using office chairs, I don't trust the single point arm rests.
  • Easy to Roll
    • I probably won't be rolling much, but I don't wanna break a sweat doing so.
  • "Does it come in black?"
    • Need I say more? It's not my favorite color per say, but it's one of those things that I don't want it to be all bright colored and distract my eyes from what I'm trying to focus on. This is why I like my consoles being mostly black. Yes, my car is black. :p

Would be Nice-ments:

Spoiler

• Lumbar Pillow(s)
    • Probably the best thing to have so I'm not slouching as much. I've seen that some even vibrate/massage.
  • Pockets
    • Not sure how much I'd use it, but some have these side pockets for remotes and such.
  • Massage
    • Maybe a bit overboard and the fact that it'd need power probably kills the idea because of cords.
  • Speakers
    • One of those "eh, it'd be cool if they're good quality" situations. I used to play in the orchestra and apparently have that "musical ear" thing that makes even average quality MP3s and speakers the equivalent of nails on the chalkboard to me. BTW, JBL and Bose are high on the best consumer sound list IMHO. 😉 

Current Wish List:

Spoiler

So, what kind of stuff do You have and do you have any recommendations? Obviously, Links Please!

Edited by WanderingAries

OG Server: Pinnacle || Current Server: Torchbearer  || Also found on Indomitable & Excelsior (when needed)

Getting Started  ||  Dredd's Guide to Loading City of Heroes  ||  Install and Troubleshooting Guide v2

Mids' Reborn  ||  HeroStats  ||  Vidiot Maps  ||  QoL, Mods, etc  ||  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Old Forums  ||  Titan Network  ||  The City Representative (3rd party Info site for all servers)

11 hours ago, Ura Hero said:

I have a Clutch Crank that is pretty comfy.  I was talked into buying it and I am glad I was.  Now that I am working from home, I sit in it all day long. 

https://usa.clutchchairz.com/crank/

Thanks for the input and I'll look into the site fully later, but the main page has a whole slew of chairs (pretty standard TBH) that fail the "Dual-Point Mounted Arms" requirement. Now that exists mostly because I'm afraid that a single pivot point will wear out faster. Granted, that's Very user specific, but how do they feel to you, failure wise?

OG Server: Pinnacle || Current Server: Torchbearer  || Also found on Indomitable & Excelsior (when needed)

Getting Started  ||  Dredd's Guide to Loading City of Heroes  ||  Install and Troubleshooting Guide v2

Mids' Reborn  ||  HeroStats  ||  Vidiot Maps  ||  QoL, Mods, etc  ||  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Old Forums  ||  Titan Network  ||  The City Representative (3rd party Info site for all servers)

1 hour ago, WanderingAries said:

Thanks for the input and I'll look into the site fully later, but the main page has a whole slew of chairs (pretty standard TBH) that fail the "Dual-Point Mounted Arms" requirement. Now that exists mostly because I'm afraid that a single pivot point will wear out faster. Granted, that's Very user specific, but how do they feel to you, failure wise?

I've had this one for three years and it is going strong.  Haven't even needed to tighten anything yet.  I'm a fairly large guy that is admittedly overweight so I'm probably not the easiest on a chair. This is the first chair I have ever bought that I thought I got my money's worth.

Edited by Ura Hero

MyRig-10192019.thumb.jpg.31c198d2b0f66b9f49262ddd10ad26bc.jpg

I BELIEVE the tabletop is a Bekant (I've had it about 5 years now) tabletop with 4 Adils legs.
Getting a LITTLE slump in the center, but I could fix that with a 5th leg.
I actually have 2.  I just don't have space for the other table at the moment.

About $150 from Ikea, assembly is easy.

I also own an original Herman Miller Aeron chair.
They're expensive new.
I was able to trade my original with a slightly ripped seat in for reconditioning.  And they gave me a new chair built from parts for about $300.

Edited by Hyperstrike

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

@Hyperstrike

Hehehe, for a second I thought you were gonna talk about that solid wood chair I think I'm seeing. 😂

Edited by WanderingAries

7 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

@Hyperstrike

Hehehe, for a second I thought you were gonna talk about that solid wood chair I think I'm seeing. 😂

Yeah, that was just a placeholder until I was able to get the office chair over.

15 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

Yeah, that was just a placeholder until I was able to get the office chair over.

And then there's the wires...*ducks*

Back on live when I was playing CoH far too much, and destroying $100 office chairs in 12 or less months, I invested in a Herman Miller Aeron.

I'm well past my 12 year warranty and no issues whatsoever, and I can sit in this chair all day long (which is good because like so many others, I work from home now).

My girlfriend debated, delayed, balked, and then after 3-years of going back and forth between wanting an Aeron or a Steelcase; she finally got an Aeron a couple months ago.

We both agree that any chair that has padding/cushions is destined to be uncomfortable in 1–2 years. A high-quality mesh/suspended chair (Herman Miller, Steelcase, etc.) is your best friend.

Quite fiddly to set-up and get perfect, but once you do you will tear the limbs off anyone who touches your precious adjustments. 😜

Edited by CFIndustries

@CFIndustries, huh, seems they sell lots of replacement part options at that too.

5 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

@CFIndustries, huh, seems they sell lots of replacement part options at that too.

Yep.  You can usually just google "Aeron Chair Repair" in your area and you'll find them.

6 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

And then there's the wires...*ducks*

**SMACK!**

That was the power-on test of the system literally 15 minutes after I assembled it.
I have all my tie-downs and cable management in place now.

20 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

**SMACK!**

That was the power-on test of the system literally 15 minutes after I assembled it.

36078730_oksure.gif.3c332e9443c6b9945f2640d2e5f0c1fa.gif       bwaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaahaha

y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!

Don't make me give you the 4 lit match (and a keg of powder) hotfoot!