[Opinion Request] General Desk/Gaming/Movie Chair

WanderingAries

On 10/16/2020 at 9:37 PM, Hyperstrike said:

Yep.  You can usually just google "Aeron Chair Repair" in your area and you'll find them.

I had an Aeron Chair at my old job and loved it. Found one at one of those used office furniture places for about $150.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

4 hours ago, Oubliette_Red said:

I had an Aeron Chair at my old job and loved it. Found one at one of those used office furniture places for about $150.

Lucky!

Out here they still go for near-new prices.

I had the seat snap on my previous chair.

Was given the option to replace the seat for like $400 or simply trade it in for a new chair for $600.

My momma didn't raise no dummy!

NEW CHAIR!

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

6 hours ago, Oubliette_Red said:

I'll take another look, but between general furniture and tech, I've looked at thousands of items this past week alone.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

17 hours ago, TemporalVileTerror said:

Yes.

Screw the three monitors simulating an extra-wide screen!

Go for the 2x2 layout (with the eventual 2x3, naturally).

Ok, but should I just get the x4 mount now or the x6 to allow room to grow? Trying to reduce my overall costs. 

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

On 4/7/2021 at 6:03 PM, TemporalVileTerror said:

Room to grow.  The 6-mount looks like it can be arranged in a way to get some decent variety in placement.

Now to actually find it though or something like it. 😛

On 4/7/2021 at 4:12 PM, WanderingAries said:

I'll take another look, but between general furniture and tech, I've looked at thousands of items this past week alone.

Look for Aeron Repair places.

On 4/7/2021 at 6:03 PM, TemporalVileTerror said:

Room to grow.  The 6-mount looks like it can be arranged in a way to get some decent variety in placement.

Ugh, gonna cost more than the desk for a proper one it seems.

• Sad 1

On 4/9/2021 at 11:13 AM, Hyperstrike said:

Look for Aeron Repair places.

That search didn't go well, unfortunately. 

17 minutes ago, TemporalVileTerror said:

Maybe a used mount would be good enough?  Maybe a craigslist purchase (is craigslist even still a thing?).

It's actually how I found a place in LA that actually had my Thermaltake Core X9 case, still new-in-box.

Trying to find them ANYWHERE else online is damn near impossible.

If you spend a great deal of time at your desk, for work and play, then I highly recommend investing in a sit-stand desk. You may be able to get those at a used office furniture place as well, but I got mine here...

https://www.imovr.com/standing-desk-workstations/standalone-standing-desk-bases-tops.html

If you are handy or know someone who is that can make a top for you, it cuts down on the price.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

On 4/6/2021 at 10:50 PM, WanderingAries said:

Can't have a chair on carpet without a solid mat and This thing has done well under dad's chair for 6+ months now with no dips or moving at all. AMZ Link

61D4cfIWfeL._AC_SL1000_.thumb.jpg.309464d6edd50bef45932d06ae0fd10c.jpg

51u8CD0KHEL._AC_SL1000_.thumb.jpg.8c4620467d200f1228729b50c02ece3f.jpg

While it might protect the carpet some.  I don't have any problems on mine because I have carpet-friendly casters and I keep them scrupulously clean.

The mats always (ALWAYS) get brittle within a year or two and start shattering.

I've tried pliable ones.  I've tried super-thick, super-big, super hard mats, and pretty much everything in between.

They all die horribly.

17 hours ago, TemporalVileTerror said:

Maybe a used mount would be good enough?  Maybe a craigslist purchase (is craigslist even still a thing?).

TBH, finding one that works with the desk is a bit more of the pinch point here. The 6 monitor ones seem to have a <2" limit on the grip mounts for some reason. Well, the ones with good reviews that is. They have twin vertical supports and are said to be more stable.

56 minutes ago, Hyperstrike said:

While it might protect the carpet some.  I don't have any problems on mine because I have carpet-friendly casters and I keep them scrupulously clean.

The mats always (ALWAYS) get brittle within a year or two and start shattering.

I've tried pliable ones.  I've tried super-thick, super-big, super hard mats, and pretty much everything in between.

They all die horribly.

The First one I got for dad from the local store (the kind that come folded) certainly did end up sagging where the wheels were.  The new one I got him like the one I pointed out is holding its own Very well for the 9+ mo he's been using it. He kills chairs even faster though because he'll end up basically leaning to one side for long periods of time. Unlike me, who's body constantly has to move periodically because I'll become uncomfortable. Probably an amusing thing for people to watch I'm sure. 😛

@Hyperstrike, did you have input about that question? What would happen if I tried using the 3770k's APU while using the GTX 970? I thought I read somewhere that the APU becomes the primary GFX handler and graphical performance takes a hit.

1 hour ago, WanderingAries said:

@Hyperstrike, did you have input about that question? What would happen if I tried using the 3770k's APU while using the GTX 970? I thought I read somewhere that the APU becomes the primary GFX handler and graphical performance takes a hit.

AFAIK, you can use the APU so long as you're using the interface on the back of the board.

• 3 weeks later

I suppose an update would be helpful. Here's where I'm at for the moment:

First, I had a mini-heart attack

Spoiler

20210429_140437.thumb.jpg.c590292499163e7da0fc9f2a7d16d0e4.jpg

...but it all survived without even a ding.

What was:

Spoiler

This room had been completely different than even this, but this is after having dug everything out and cleaned. As you can see, the old desk suffered at the hand of a smoker (and much bigger than me), so it was going to go no matter what. The only thing left on it was really the network which will end up in one of the corners when I'm done.

20210429_141844.thumb.jpg.b5d9fa1a5b185c572e6922fccaae07f0.jpg

What I'm starting with now:

Spoiler

My self-pwn image for @Hyperstrike to /nelsonlaugh at. Yeah, this is WAY before cleanup time (which happens once everything is done). Note: I've modified the cup and headphone holder locations as they would have stuck out quite a bit to the left/right of the desk. Took an extra few minutes with my new drills and careful alignment, but I got it the way I think it'll work best for me.

20210429_232529.thumb.jpg.8f3ab326e2066f0455fb99b03e76d98d.jpg

Showing off the new space I have to deal with now. This will better help me decide how to proceed with my furniture and tech purchases.

Spoiler

20210430_193409.thumb.jpg.3ba89976c0c324ddfc4801d2ae97257c.jpg

20210430_193359.thumb.jpg.76e18018a55fd1fa78864bf484b5383b.jpg

19 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

My God!  It's full of cores!

RyzenProcessMonitor.jpg.cadccd552b28d2d455c7699662f6487b.jpg

So how long before you build a Quantum Computing Build so you can have Yesterday's cores too? :p

• 3 weeks later

I thought I had a newer image, but I don't feel like (migraine) getting up for a current one. I have a pair of the shelving things on both sides now and the left one is PACKED with negatives, snapshots, etc from the AV Archiving project. I plan on getting a third shelving unit for the left side, but my budget has to recover first. My work contract will change as of next week, so the importance of the extra screens (beyond the 2 I have) being setup soon can be put to later for now. That's awesome because my budget already has this taking most of summer to accomplish as I don't want to get TOO close on my CC (plus I have a couple games to get).

Here's what I got, imagine this mirrored and you'll have an idea of what I have now.

Spoiler

184566807_10158990006206223_5263671523819161224_n.thumb.jpg.ff7df770fb8fafe047190341028348fc.jpg

Oh look, I got Squirreled by work! They put me on a new contract and now I have a new variable. The work computer is now a 21.5" iMac and there's no way in hell to do the same idea I had on my PC because of the level of control they want on this device (T2 chip, etc). >.<

That said, the furniture arrangement is perfect either way, but this puts buying a mount and moving my PC on hold. I still have my twin monitors though and am looking into a set of TB3 -> HDMI adaptors (was going to anyway for the iMini I have) since it sounds like having multiple monitors will still benefit this new contract. Never done that on Mac before either, so this'll be "fun". Not a fan of the details of the contract, but it's a minor boost in pay (after ten million weeks of training X.X).

My biggest ouchies right now are the AC in the room is beyond needing replacement and that chair SUCKS. I didn't even get three full days before feeling like I'm either going to break it (movement) or it's going to break me (lack of padding). I ordered a 6k BTU clone of my room AC as it's much quieter and more precise controls (ok, yeah, it also has a remote). I can't get less than that or the interface goes back to analog and less overall functionality. As for the chair, yeah, I'm gonna think on getting a cheap pad for now while I revisit the options. People said a good, similar to the budget chair, alternative was those mesh style chairs as there's no cushion to worry about. My gripes with those are the standard T-arms (IDK why, but I feel that design will break easy) and how much I'd be able to move around within the chair itself (fidgety). Either way, I've gotta wait for the budget to recover as I need one more of the shelves as well.

• 4 weeks later

New update, for the few that care to read.

I swapped the chair for one of those mesh chairs and it was a huge improvement. I managed to get it on sale without even trying. I tried those special wheels that @Hyperstrike likes, but had to take them back off because of what dad's old setup did to the carpet. I kept rolling Away from the bloody desk! >.<

After a couple weeks of BS (I HATE FedEx), I finally got the new AC put it (today actually). Because this house sucks, I had to remove the added carpentry (needed to keep it in the window) that was moisture exposed and replace it with new stuff (I wrapped in special tape before mounting). That was Loads of fun seeing as how I only have a jigsaw and needed to cut the 2x4's in half amongst other things. Took me two days as my chronic fatigue does not like it nor the heat it seems. I can't wait for central air again. X.X

I got the iMac connected to my monitors now and it's going to help a ton. I've yet to trip the breaker running that on the same outlet as the network, but I'm still planning on trying to add an outlet and network junction (plug the router Out and distribute from that). I really don't like this contract though, so when I get the energy for it, I'll probably look for something else again. That will likely cause me to change companies though, which sucks because, like Iron Man's GF, I hate job hunting.

Still more to go in the room, but I think I may switch to redoing my bedroom closet first so that it's more functional.