[How2] Basic Installation Guide [Windows]

WanderingAries

• 7 months later
1 hour ago, Ninjaboy said:

Why wouldn't you guys put the link in the HOW2 thread? Even the OP's tagline is just a loop back to the HOW2 thread with no download link. 

I modified the related section to link the now existing FAQ post. I believe there wasn't a set link back when this was created as the app was still in beta status.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

On 6/25/2022 at 1:18 AM, WanderingAries said:

I modified the related section to link the now existing FAQ post. I believe there wasn't a set link back when this was created as the app was still in beta status.

Thank you!

• 2 months later
On 6/1/2021 at 11:54 AM, plainguy said:

I am getting this..

I tried to run as administrator as well.. Just hangs..

I  thought it was looking for other instances of COH to copy files over so I let it run over night.. 

Still no luck..

It is windows 10.

image.png.de567790eed17df21fb1c8979514ff7c.png

I'm actually getting the same issue. 
Windows 10

20 minutes ago, Xyphius said:

I'm actually getting the same issue. 
Windows 10

Check the standard culprits:

• AV intruding on process
  • Attempting to install to / from a protected windows folder
  • Close background processes that might be tying up the CPU

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Just now, WanderingAries said:

Check the standard culprits:

• AV intruding on process
  • Attempting to install to / from a protected windows folder
  • Close background processes that might be tying up the CPU

Culprit this time:
Installer tries to auto launch the 32bit launcher.
This causes it crtcheck to hang and does not allow the launcher to proceed.

Resolution:
force close the launcher and force close crtcheck.exe

Navigate to the installation path and run the 64bit launcher instead.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xyphius said:

Culprit this time:
Installer tries to auto launch the 32bit launcher.
This causes it crtcheck to hang and does not allow the launcher to proceed.

Resolution:
force close the launcher and force close crtcheck.exe

Navigate to the installation path and run the 64bit launcher instead.

32bit launcher? Yeah, that'll cause a problem I imagine. I guess I had assumed you had restarted the installer at least once.

40 minutes ago, WanderingAries said:

32bit launcher? Yeah, that'll cause a problem I imagine. I guess I had assumed you had restarted the installer at least once.

I had restarted the installer a few times.
Not sure why the installer auto launches the 32bit launcher.

• 1 month later

Trying to install the HC launcher so I can do the beta test of the Mastermind changes since Tequila can no longer access the beta. I'm getting a "The Launcher was unable to download the install configuration. Please check your internet connection." when I try to use the hcinstall.exe. Tried fiddling with my firewall and connection. Note I have to tether via cellphone to get internet that isn't stupidly limited where I live so I can't do shit about the ISP if they are blocking something on their end.

2 hours ago, Dakota Whitemane said:

Trying to install the HC launcher so I can do the beta test of the Mastermind changes since Tequila can no longer access the beta. I'm getting a "The Launcher was unable to download the install configuration. Please check your internet connection." when I try to use the hcinstall.exe. Tried fiddling with my firewall and connection. Note I have to tether via cellphone to get internet that isn't stupidly limited where I live so I can't do shit about the ISP if they are blocking something on their end.

I'm pretty sure that they said Tequila could no longer handle the other servers, but, like the devs, I left that launcher long ago in my mind.

On 10/13/2022 at 3:25 PM, WanderingAries said:

I'm pretty sure that they said Tequila could no longer handle the other servers, but, like the devs, I left that launcher long ago in my mind.

I had honestly forgotten about the HC launcher, I was able to get it to install via a vpn after even borrowing a hotspot on a different network failed. Since the two ISP I have access to at home are cellar networks. I think they both had a something blocked on their end that won't let the install.exe access the internet to install the launcher. Launcher itself doesn't seem to have any issue with my default tethered connection once installed.

Ok, so i am a Veteran COH fan and trying to install this for my son. I have followed the directions above, and when the installer says ready (after i log in) and i hit play, i get the city of heroes banner but then nothing?

Help

16 hours ago, PotsFam said:

Ok, so i am a Veteran COH fan and trying to install this for my son. I have followed the directions above, and when the installer says ready (after i log in) and i hit play, i get the city of heroes banner but then nothing?

Help

Most AV software seem to like to block the first time launch of the game. Often there's a prompt in the background somewhere, but you can try adding the game folder to the whitelist for your AV and relaunch it.

On 10/19/2022 at 9:36 AM, WanderingAries said:

Most AV software seem to like to block the first time launch of the game. Often there's a prompt in the background somewhere, but you can try adding the game folder to the whitelist for your AV and relaunch it.

Aries, 

I went into to AV settings and allowed all City of Heros folders/applications to run. Now the "loading" bar appears longer but still disappears and no game appears. I cannot figure out what i am doing wrong. 

2 hours ago, PotsFam said:

Aries, 

I went into to AV settings and allowed all City of Heros folders/applications to run. Now the "loading" bar appears longer but still disappears and no game appears. I cannot figure out what i am doing wrong. 

UPDATE: I am now getting this. 

ERRLOG STARTING IGNORE: D

its in a DOS run window. 

Edited by PotsFam

On 10/20/2022 at 8:34 PM, PotsFam said:

UPDATE: I am now getting this. 

ERRLOG STARTING IGNORE: D

its in a DOS run window. 

Weird, I'd start an actual support thread then if you've not already as I don't have any inside look at this.

• 5 months later
3 hours ago, Correllon said:

Good Morning, I downloaded all the files and installed with Tequila but cannot launch the game, it says I can only launch with the NCSoft launcher but that was not installed.  Has anyone seen this?

I'm pretty sure that at this point Tequila is no longer functionally supported. The second step in the guide references the official page that has a link to the actual file to download. I left this intentionally so that it'll always point to that and if they change the URL, then I won't have to be 'in the know' about it.

• 1 month later

So, I finally switched over from Tequila, but since moving I keep getting kicked out with a "Lost Connection to Server" error. Any thoughts or suggestions? And please keep it simple like you are talking to a 5 year old. Scratch that, like you are talking to a 55 year old

20 hours ago, BastionWalls said:

And just to clarify, I am able to log in, but I will get kicked out anywhere from 2-10 minutes after I'm in. 

That could be a few things, but I'd make a post for it specifically, that way you get wider attention.

• 6 months later

okay I didn't even know the launcher existed until today and the new liscence agreement dropped.  Have been using tequila the whole time without being aware of any other options.  How long until tequila shuts down?

10 hours ago, Arcalian said:

okay I didn't even know the launcher existed until today and the new liscence agreement dropped.  Have been using tequila the whole time without being aware of any other options.  How long until tequila shuts down?

At this time, while Tequila is forecasted to no longer be supported, it does not have a timeline reported to us players for when that will happen and is still getting support. Per the NCSoft licensee post, the devs are working on a dedicated launcher that will render Tequila obsolete, and that was the purpose of the HC Launcher being developed, though I get the impression a new launcher may be in the works, probably a refined version of the existing HC Launcher, but that was the most recent bit of information I saw.

• Thumbs Up 1