Sign in to follow this  
Nuke Leah

RP - Villains - Do you level / play the game heroside?

I'm just wondering how RPers handle the low population villain side.  Do you just solo a lot when you want to actually play your villain characters, or do you switch to blue side to join teams?  I only like to solo the stuff that makes more sense without a team (lots of accolade badge stuff usually and unlocks like Vanguard and Midnighters or maybe bank/safeguard).  I don't run teams very often, I know that's an option but it isn't really what I'm after.  I know there are some people playing villains but the range is very small and sporadic.  How do you handle actually playing the game part of the game, Villain RPers?

Should I just do the game part of the game hero side if I want to play a villain?

It depends on just who my villain is.  Most of them don't give a hoot about international borders, so they'll head over to Paragon.  Granted, the mission content Blueside isn't particularly villainous, or even mercenary, for the most part . . . so I get a little creative.  Such as the villain being undercover to collect intel, or to sow the seeds of doubt in heroes' minds.

Some of my villains, though, just don't.  They're not appropriate to bring to Paragon City, unless it's in a Mayhem Mission.

And sometimes . . . *glances back and forth, then whispers* I just play out of character.

• Like 2

I tend to play Rogues rather than proper Villains, but yes... Quite a few of mine (Almost all of the support types, in particular-) spend their lives blue-side, because soloing just isn't what they were made to do. I've even ended up alignment-switching many of them to "Hero" just to deal with the teaming quirks and headaches the game is prone to.

While that was done for reasons of sheer OOC practicality, I tell myself that IC they're just reasonable and adaptable people who are capable of "playing nice" when they want or need to. They recognize that sometimes working with the Goody Two-Shoes heroes is the best way to get what they want. 😝

Edited by Coyotedancer
  • Like 2

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

Most of my Villains will become Rogues/Vigilantes, with the RP head-canon reason being that there are somethings (like accolades) Blue Side that are simply easier to get (or can be gotten earlier in a career). For example, the Ironman/Ironwoman requirement (take 1M damage) for Born in Battle is not as easy to get (for many ATs) by lvl 45 as it is to get the Dimensional Warder at lvl 45... even if it means I have to pretend to be a 'Vigilante' to get those missions myself. I suppose Task Force Commander is also an easier accolade than Invader, but my villains don't go out of their way to join Blue Side TFs unless they want those easy merits.

Typically, my red-aligned characters keep their mouths shut when on blue-side teams. Those characters will almost always have a red-side title, so it isn't exactly a secret where true allegiances lie. While on blue-side missions, my characters (depending on their AT) will subtly play differently... they will behave a little more selfishly by trying to click objectives first, or race to the bosses, or drift away from the team. One red-aligned toon particularly enjoys being in a massive dogpile of enemies, and has been known to grab as much aggro as possible... she likes to see if the heroes can keep up!

Edited by tidge
  • Like 1

Almost all of my characters are rogues, except while they are hunting accolade badges. I do a lot of solo play and small teams on redside. I's hard to get a full team redside, but it's not hard to put together a small redside team on Everlasting. Arguably, small teams are the best way to enjoy the game. I go over to blueside for task forces and occasionally for radio teams. I also spend a lot of time in coop events (e.g. Hamidon raids).

My redside characters have an elaborate shared backstory that explains why they occasionally (but only occasionally) travel to Paragon City. A less elaborate (but still accurate) story that may work for some other players:

1. If there's money to be gained from a mission, my redside characters are usually interested, wherever the mission is located.
  2. Even if there's no money involved, all of my characters are happy to punch Council. Punching Council is inherently pleasant.
  3. If a mission is in Brickstown, redside characters who have spent significant time in Brickstown (ahem) may display signs of extreme anxiety.
  • Like 1

Depends on the character. Some will go where the money is. Save the schoolbooks one mission, blow up the busses the next day. Others run through whatever redside  content there is, solo or otherwise.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

It is advantageous to go rogue and play both in some/most cases, especially on Red Side. It doesn't have to be "canon" for your storyline that they are actually rogue, but instead that they ventured to Paragon City. Well played "bad guys" usually (usually being the KEY WORD) do not consider themselves bad, so there should be no real worry in playing the hero roll at times, and as was said above, it can be thought of as collecting intel or some other thought out reasoning. I have a brute that is fighting The Family for his piece of the Rogue Islands, and will transition to Paragon City at times and fight them there.....at least that is my reasoning of why he goes there. Obviously he will do other things that will pay him well while there. He has no loyalty to Arachnos. By contrast, I do have some that are loyal to Arachnos so they are not rogue, and do not go to Paragon City. They would be better known by law enforcement and local heroes. 

And remember, you can play OOC if need be, just to team up and have some fun while levelling. I have yet to find any rp beyond standing about talking under Atlas, yet, that does not mean it doesn't exist. Quite frankly that is probably due to me, so not knocking rp'ers here. Also, it is all modern age, so what people say OOC can be relevant anyway. 😉

• Like 1

Paragon Vanguard
Jerrin Bloodlette
Hughe
Luke Minhere
many others

Depends.  I RP a lot more red side than I do blue side.

Most, if not all, of my villains solo at least some of the time, and I build them accordingly.  Lately, I've been taking my 50s into Grandville and doing pick up newspaper missions with any villain who wants some xp.  I think I'll do more of that in the future.

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

See this link for my giveaway!  FREEMoney!

Why in hell would i live again in the rogue isle ?

I spent so many years to try to conquer the world with and against Lord Recluse. For what ? Having the whole Freedom Phalanx on my back.

In Paragon, you help a granny to cross the street on instagram and the dam Major gives you the key of the city...

Now i am a proud member of the "Hero" community and "i" (well my army of clones :D) have one of the best record of successfull interventions by arresting my competition "ahem" the dirty villains in the Rogue isles allowing my network Justice to grow faster than ever.

2063632559_tenor(14).gif.f986183f5df9c97dd4826e1c784eec1e.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just another French Player

So Excuse my old, bad and too french English !

I rarely play fully redside villains--I prefer rogues, thematically and otherwise.  That said, even my 'pure' villains are rogues at first.  Yes, part of the reason is because I want to have an easier time leveling up, but also, three of the four accolades for health/endurance that I do, are easiest (for me) done on blueside as well.  So I will do those before going fully redside as well.

For the most part, I just find rogues more fun!  It's my favorite alignment thematically, but I also love being able to have access to redside story arcs and blueside teams.  The perk of having frenzy in particular doesn't appeal to me as much as being able to access the other side.

Likewise, all but one of my heroes all go redside briefly for the invader badge accolade (since I don't like being forced to do Synapse and the other really long task forces on all of those characters) and typically Mortimer Cal as well, though the latter only requires a vigilante technically.  I also often go for patron pools which require redside access.  So it's true of my 'pure' heroes as well, but getting the redside only perks is a lot easier and faster than the blueside ones. 

Vigilante isn't quite as appealing to me, however, but I do love accessing both sides more than the true blue hero ability in any case.

PS: I almost always prefer redside teams over blueside ones when they are available.  Redside arcs are so much more fun, and especially their version of bank missions!

Edited by Ethereal Star
  • Like 1

It dawns on me I didn't really cover the RP side of things much.  I haven't yet gotten in to RP as much as I would have otherwise liked, but as mentioned above, I prefer rogues thematically (and conceptually) more than villains.  Playing both sides for my own benefit.  However, I am willing to stretch things to allow my villains to be able to level up, and likewise I sort of do the same for my heroes if I need patron arcs or invader badges (typically, if they are pure heroes, I just pretend it never happened--it's not an RP thing).

I typically design a different costume for my 'blueside' if I am playing as a rogue, or especially as a villain.  Something to 'blend in' better.  For instance, my Crab Spider has a longbow-style outfit complete with a helmet... not fully convincing in and of itself, but it at least hides her appearance.  I treat that case as dabbling a bit to understand the other side, or perhaps what I am technically doing anyways--getting what I need from Paragon City before going back to stay fully on Redside.

• Like 1

Solo rp can be just as much fun to me as teaming, but I don't think you will find many rp groups red side as it is very sparsely populated, as was said. I don't find many rp PUGs on blue side for that matter, so unless you are a part of some guild or have rp contacts, blue side isn't much different, rp'wise. Team'wise, it is much easier of course. 
With that said, obviously villains make their way to Paragon City. In fact, it's hard to be a true villain on the Rogue Islands, that seems more of a way to get away from the law, as most people are villains. Even the police are corrupt. My thought on the Rogue Islands is a corrupt place where "evil"...yes in quotations.....people are fighting one another. The only time your character can be truly bad is when they rob a bank, and that would be a bank in Paragon City. 
ALL of this to say, simply, either is good, just expect to rp solo more on red side, which is okay. 

Paragon Vanguard
Jerrin Bloodlette
Hughe
Luke Minhere
many others