Super Strength changes & proliferation to Scrappers and Stalkers

Vanden

Just now, Haijinx said:

No other powerset gets all the time build up either. 

Exactly.  And neither should Super Strength, no matter what you call the power that causes it.  It's a penalty that hurts super strength for the sake of being thematically appropriate to a very specific super strength icon:  the Hulk.  The power set should be changed to be non-Hulk-like.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Player2 said:

Emma, Colossus, Iron Man...  these are people who do not have super strength until they activate their power up.  They're have normal strength until they transform into organic diamond or steel or strap into their powersuit or whatever.  That isn't what the Super Strength power set with Rage does, though.  Super Strength is always strong.  Once they activate their power, then they're super strong... not raging or boosted to even more super strength.

Correct me if I'm wrong (not entirely up to date on comics) but I though Colossus was stronger than a normal human should be outside of his metal form, just that it brought him from 3/10 to 9/10 or something. And Iron Man I mentioned different suits with different strength levels because of course he has normal human strength outside his suit, he also lacks repulser blasts, flight and everything else but his intelligence outside his suit.

2 minutes ago, Player2 said:

It's a penalty that hurts super strength

There's no way to claim a 120-second buff attached to a 10-second debuff is overall a penalty. That's completely absurd.

3 minutes ago, Player2 said:

for the sake of being thematically appropriate to a very specific super strength icon:  the Hulk.

Only if you focus exclusively on the name and ignore the rest of the power.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Vanden said:

You seem to be focused on the name.  I think the power is garbage and I'm just pointing out that not only is it crap but that it isn't thematically appropriate.

You could call it "2-Minute Strength Boost" and I'll still say it needs to be replaced and the powerset rebalanced around Build Up.

1 minute ago, Vanden said:

That honestly seems to be the point.

As I ended up editing in my last post, one can make arguments that rage could use some changes, but just saying it has to go because of the name is an incredibly weak argument. 

6 minutes ago, Player2 said:

You seem to be focused on the name.  I think the power is garbage and I'm just pointing out that not only is it crap but that it isn't thematically appropriate.

You could call it "2-Minute Strength Boost" and I'll still say it needs to be replaced and the powerset rebalanced around Build Up.

Not sure how to edit this into my last comment that I posted at same time as you...

Then you need to change your argument, because it sure sounds like you have more of a problem with the name than the effect. Plus I don't really see the set feeling nearly as strong balanced around build up vs a perm-able buff.

Edited by Dragon Crush
slight change to formatting

1 minute ago, Dragon Crush said:

Then you need to change your argument, because it sure sounds like you have more of a problem with the name than the effect.

It's my argument, and I'll make it how I want to.  Plenty of others have already criticized the mechanics, so I'm contributing an additional thought to consider.

8 minutes ago, Player2 said:

It's my argument, and I'll make it how I want to.  Plenty of others have already criticized the mechanics, so I'm contributing an additional thought to consider.

Fair enough I guess, but it seems to be working against you. Though I suppose you may be swaying the opinions of people who haven't bothered to respond and we wouldn't know.

As for the mechanics, I can agree they could use a change, I just can't think of a good one, and I would hate the idea of another build up clone. In fact, I wish less sets had build up and each had something at least slightly different for their version of aim/build up, even if it was as simple as martial arts build up recharges 5 seconds faster et cettera.

Edited by Dragon Crush
wrong word

On 10/15/2020 at 6:22 AM, Vanden said:

Rage

• Damage buff reduced to 40%
  • Now adds a Smashing damage proc equal to 40% of the base damage to all powers that take damage enhancements
  • The damage buff stacks, the damage proc does not
  • This curtails Rage's bonuses at high recharge while leaving lower-recharge builds at roughly the same performance
  • No change to the crash, because other changes give you the tools to mitigate it if you need to; the Smashing damage proc is unaffected by the damage debuff, and Jab can help mitigate the defense debuff.

I ran Super Strength for years on Live.  My first 6 months back here was on a SS Brute.

I follow SS threads pretty regularly.

You have to climb a tall mountain to create a worse suggestion for a SS change than most.  But you HAVE DONE IT.

THIS SUCKS LIKE A JET ENGINE

• Thumbs Up 1