Enter base from passcode

philtrum

I don't usually post on the fora. Generally very happy to roll various brutes and blasters and speed my way through TFs and trials repeatedly. I'm a simple soul.

But I am very, very annoyed that the devs are nerfing the enterbasefrompasscode command. Apparently something to do with people abusing it in pvp.

While I understand that there are some who love pvp, it does nothing for me and never has.

Whereas I love the enterbasefrompasscode command. It's one of the reasons I'm still here, after all this time, to be honest.

I played back in the day, when if you died in the Hollows you had to trek all the way by foot from the Atlas hospital, etc etc OK Boomer.

Now, in 2020, I really don't want to be wasting time trekking across zones to base portals and train stations (or the limited selection of ouroboros-connected zones) to get around the place.

I wouldn't want to get all precious and poor-me, but I'm still playing because I love the game, and, arguably, the time may have come to step back a bit, but if anything was going to make me play less, it would be nerfing the enterbasefrompasscode command.

If it happens, it happens. No one gives a crap what I think. I get that. I've paid £200-300 since the game came back to help keep it going, and no one will miss my contributions, I get that too.

If everyone else is happy about this, then so be it.

Have fun, people. Stay safe.

@Philtrum (ex-Defiant, now Torch)

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, philtrum said:

But I am very, very annoyed that the devs are nerfing the enterbasefrompasscode command. Apparently something to do with people abusing it in pvp.

Your understanding is incorrect.

This is a developer command that is not supposed to be available to the playerbase, period. Anything dealing with PVP is purely an aftereffect.

Also... really? A "change this and I'm leaving" post? (Yes, that *is* essentially what it is.) Especially with portals everywhere that aren't all that far away that will *still work* with existing passcodes? And on *top* of not seeing if they're doing something else to offset the command's use - likely why it hasn't gone away yet?

• Like 5

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

"Also... really? A "change this and I'm leaving" post?"

Well, arguably, if people say nothing, then no one knows that people feel a certain way.

Also, it more nuanced than "change this and I'm leaving" (but thanks for telling me what I think/feel). as I tried to explain in my post, I don't post much on the fora as I'd rather spend time playing the game that chatting about it, I have rolled with all the punches over the last 14 years, it MIGHT be time to step back ANYWAY (for other reasons), but nothing has really made me want to post before, and this IS important to ME. But, hey, if you'd rather just belittle my opinion then that's on you.

Either other people agree with me or not. I can't change any of that.

Have a lovely day.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, philtrum said:

"Also... really? A "change this and I'm leaving" post?"

Well, arguably, if people say nothing, then no one knows that people feel a certain way.

This isn't a "say nothing." Throw your opinion out there, nobody wants to stop you. (Well, I don't.)

However, (a) you are, from your post, basing this on poor information (that it's somehow related to PVP - it isn't, that's a side effect of the command being there when it shouldn't, and there are other exploits related to it,) and (b) yes, it does come off as "change this and I'm leaving." Even if it's just "backing off," well - personally, it comes off as a (poor, and that's not "because it's from you," I'm not aiming this at you personally, just the type of post) threat to a team that's running this and developing it on a *volunteer* basis. Which, yes, a "me" thing but does tend to put my back up and get that reaction.

And, (c) as mentioned - you're doing this without seeing if they have something else they're replacing it *with.* The devs aren't blind that people like the functionality. Give them a little credit and see what they're *doing* before complaining about them doing what they've said they'll do for... what, over a year now?

Honestly, in general I'm somewhat baffled by this. Base *passcodes* aren't going away. All those transport hub bases will still be useful. The base teleporter option (which, yes, has a recharge, but how often do you need to run down to the base?) takes base passcodes. There are multiple other fast-transport options, both as purchased/earned and (granted, requiring other picks, unless you're a 'shade) pool powers. It's not like this one command goes away and you're forced to [Walk] from N to S Independence Port for everything you want to do. And those powers will likely be involved in some way with this change.

Wait and see. Get involved in the betas if you really want to give feedback and shape this - this doesn't mean "spend 40 hours a week," but even half an hour when they announce something's there to take a look at can shape what's done.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

PvP was only a small part of it.  This affects Master of TF runs as well.  Others complain it ruins immersion for them.  As it exists today, the slash command will be going away at some point, but not until a suitable replacement is put in place.  From the various posts on the topic, it would appear they are maybe looking at an Oro portal type power that allows the portal to accept the various pass codes one may have for different bases.

I would also add please continue to post and express your opinions.  I agree with you in that it is important that opinions can be shared.  Do not let others jump all over you and tell you what you think. 

• Like 4

I guess there's not much point just restating opinions. I feel one way. Others feel another. I guess it SHOULD come down to what proportion of the community want it changed, and what proportion don't. Or perhaps some people just know what's best for us and we should just keep our traps shut.

[lowers head below parapet]

SPEED ITF LFM PST (no PBs or MMs please)

30 minutes ago, philtrum said:

I guess it SHOULD come down to what proportion of the community want it changed, and what proportion don't.

There's no very robust way to collect that sort of data, sadly.

While I do disagree that the command needs to stay, I agree that you should be welcome to state your thoughts on it and that this should be a place that you are free to do so.

Edited by Lines

41 minutes ago, philtrum said:

I guess there's not much point just restating opinions. I feel one way. Others feel another. I guess it SHOULD come down to what proportion of the community want it changed, and what proportion don't.

Nope, it should be left up to the devs to determine what's best for the game. Sometimes it's what's popular, sometimes it's not. Sometimes what's popular is bad for the long term health of the game. Sometimes they come up with alternatives and compromises. Development should not be a democracy.

And again, not telling you not to state you opinion. Don't take reacting to it as "don't say anything."

• Like 5

I think base use is similar to oro use - meeting, gathering, admin. You can even use pro as a transportation hub like the base.

So yeah get rid of the code, lower p2w base access to 5 min unenhanceable.  Similar to the oro portal. Problem solved.

Whether You admit it or not a great many people though the code access was a HC feature, and its even been promoted on these forums frequently and the odd blurb about it going away is washed under fast by the thousands of wow thats cool posts.

If it we're going away to not replace its functionality it should have been snuffed out when discovered.

Edited by Infinitum
  • Like 1

Is it considered a "change this and I'm leaving" post if I say that a lot of us already have about every toon we wanted to play finished up, are getting a bit bored with an already shrinking population and are really not going to want to play very often if the game is like it is now but with extra pointless travel added in? It's not like it's a subscription game and travel is a time sink. There's already plenty in this game that isn't playing the game such as sitting through unskippable cutscenes and npc chatter for the thousandth time. Added travel is just going to pile on to that.

I get that it wasn't intended and may have been being abused but is the solution that's being given really a better one than just disabling it in pvp zones and on master runs?

• Like 2

The entitlement some people have for a dev cheat never ceases to both amuse and disappoint me.

Travel in this game is trivial. We have a million and one ways to get around - but the idea of you losing your instant warp from anywhere is enough to make you go?

I find that stance laughable. That's nothing but pure laziness.

Edited by ScarySai
  • Like 7

Where did this idea come from, because I haven’t seen any Dev posts about this beyond the will only get rid of the code when they have a viable alternative. Is there a viable alternative available in some magic patch that we missed?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

The interesting thing about this topic is while it comes up regularly, it only comes up every couple of months.

Its gonna have to step up its game if it wants to compete with the likes of undoing the rage nerf and a Support/Melee AT. 

Also I'd like to take this opportunity to say Nerf Regen.

Thank you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Myrmidon said:

Where did this idea come from, because I haven’t seen any Dev posts about this beyond the will only get rid of the code when they have a viable alternative. Is there a viable alternative available in some magic patch that we missed?

depends what you mean by viable. the alternative i've seen seems like a whole lot of added stuff to essentially remove it without really replacing it. but yeah i think there's info out there that we're not seeing here yet as I've heard the same specific info from multiple sources. it's not what i'd call a viable alternative but then i'm entitled and lazy.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, philtrum said:

I guess it SHOULD come down to what proportion of the community want it changed, and what proportion don't.

No it shouldn't. The devs have an entirely different view of the game from where they are sitting. They see how all the little bits and pieces work (or not) behind the scenes and have to make decisions based on thier view of the games best interests. I'm sure they will always take feedback into account but they can't be entirely driven by it or the game will dissolve into an utter mess.

2 hours ago, philtrum said:

no PBs or MMs please

Sigh.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I started my completionist run after a the big thread on this topic (the one with actual GM involvement) About a year ago.  

So I ran solo through all of the Going Rogue content, then all the Redside and Blueside Arcs without the Enterbasecode command.   (also with no travel power, because I don't do travel powers) 

Then after a couple months I realized they weren't actually removing it anytime soon(tm), so I added it.  That was sometime around New Years, it was well before the plague.  

So this probably is not imminent.  At least until you see something on the actual Dev posts.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Veelectric Boogaloo said:

depends what you mean by viable. the alternative i've seen seems like a whole lot of added stuff to essentially remove it without really replacing it. but yeah i think there's info out there that we're not seeing here yet as I've heard the same specific info from multiple sources. it's not what i'd call a viable alternative but then i'm entitled and lazy.

The observation is that, while its general use is taking advantage of what was intended to be a developer-only command but not otherwise objectionable, its use as a "get out of death free" card in PvP and Master Of runs is. The common feature of the objectionable usage is being able to use it in combat to get away from being defeated. We already have an example of powers being restricted in combat -- movement suppression, which limits travel powers when your character is in combat. If you take the code behind the enterbasefrompasscode command and add the "in combat check" from movement suppression to disable its use if the character is in combat, then it's no longer usable to escape from defeat in the middle of combat, and reverts to being a non-combat travel aid.

• Like 2

Just lower p2w mission teleport to 1 minute and the whole issue is solved. Because in case all the defenders of base teleport removal forgot, blueside missions become utter bull at higher levels with their dumb talk to npc in Atlas, go to ass end of IP, now beat 300 dudes in Folly, now go back to Atlas crap. It's unplayable to anyone who values their time and base teleport is the only thing that makes this prehistoric mmo crap bearable today. Since HC devs are never gonna have the manpower to uncrappify that mess, some form of fast travel must remain even if they do remove base teleport. (hint: it's the p2w mission teleport, make it faster with less cooldown before removing the command)

Also I too would definitely ragequit over the removal of base teleport right now, without an alternative provided.

• Like 1

Still working on Live.

Still working on Beta.

Still working on Staging.

So, unless it's been disabled on Private Beta, I wouldn't say there is an immediate cause for concern.

I feel the command is an excellent example of an unintended feature, and I do hope the Devs make a meaningful replacement, such as a public-access drop-pseudopet Power like the Ouroboros Portal.  A Homecoming Team member did once suggest that was going to be their approach, but that particular thread was probably last year and hidden/deleted long ago.  Whether that is still their intent, or ever was, is frustratingly unconfirmed.

• Like 1