Patch Notes for October 17th, 2020

The Curator

• City Council

Not in this build. Whatever is causing that one is smashing the stack badly enough that the crash reporter can't run, making it impossible to get a memory dump or even a stacktrace. The windows event logs confirm that it's a crash, however since it's happening inside ntdll it doesn't give me anything to go on.

I suspect some sort of graphics-related overflow in the rendering engine from so many objects appearing at once, but don't have solid enough information to prove that.

30 minutes ago, Number Six said:

Not in this build. Whatever is causing that one is smashing the stack badly enough that the crash reporter can't run, making it impossible to get a memory dump or even a stacktrace. The windows event logs confirm that it's a crash, however since it's happening inside ntdll it doesn't give me anything to go on.

I suspect some sort of graphics-related overflow in the rendering engine from so many objects appearing at once, but don't have solid enough information to prove that.

I think you're right.  It occurs to me that I don't often see people budcrashing in my 7pm EDT raids, and that might be because people are just getting home and logging on instead of having the game running for hours prior.  Almost all of the budcrash reports I hear about come from the subsequent nightly raids.  My schedule runs right up to the formation of the 10pm raid, so people are often jumping from itrials to the Hive right away without restarting their game first.

We could try having people use /reloadgfx when the Mitos go down for the next week or so, to see if anyone still crashes after using it.  It's not much, but I'm not sure what else we could do to help.

@Veracor - Veracor, Bio/TW Tanker on Everlasting.

Everlasting raid leader, Hamidon main tank, iTrial main tank -- hit me up if you have questions!

1 hour ago, Number Six said:

Somewhere a former Paragon coder is sweating.

"We had DEADLINES, Okay?!"

I haven't had any crashes on Linux/Wine with an Nvidia adapter if that helps narrow it down in ANY way at all (which I highly doubt), Number 6.

I don't think it's related to the game running for long hours. I've crashed three times on different days during the Abyss raids on 3pm Saturdays. I launch the game and the raid is the first thing I usually do.

Another reason I don't believe it's related to an overflow issue is that, from what I observed, the pattern is always the same:

- Hamidon dies

- buds spawn

- everyone fight buds for somewhere between 5-30 seconds

- the crash then happens and affects a number of people at once.

Prior to crashing, there are no slowdowns, freezes, graphic glitches, looping sounds, nothing strange at all -- effects that an overflow would potentially cause. The game just keeps running perfectly then goes poof.

• Thanks 1

@Keen Stronghold (Virtue, Everlasting)
Hamidon Raids - Role Guide

7 hours ago, Number Six said:

Trust in yourself, brother. Don't let anything stop you from proving yourself right.

Peace be upon you.

• City Council
5 hours ago, GadgetDon said:

I've been getting crashes, frequently, since this last update - most NOT at the launching of the buds. I've been getting the crash reporter and doing memory dumps. Should I do a full memory dump?

Generally we don't need a full dump unless asked. Your mini dumps should suffice in helping get the issue resolved, apologies for the trouble!

1 hour ago, Randolf Kidd said:

I can't even get in game it has a fit and when I log in there's just an unamed server

Sounds like there may be an issue with your Tequila setup. Try reinstalling with the new launcher, that should help. Note that this needs to be installed into a new directory, not the one your Tequila install uses.

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

• 2 weeks later
1 hour ago, Keen said:

Following up on this:

• Abyss Raid, Oct 31st: typed /reloadgfx as Hami went down
  • Crashed minutes later, with 2-3 buds still up
  • No crash report window

So in the end /reloadgfx didn't help 😞 cc @Veracor

Alright, it was worth a shot.  At least we got some additional fps out of it I guess!

• Haha 1

@Veracor - Veracor, Bio/TW Tanker on Everlasting.

Everlasting raid leader, Hamidon main tank, iTrial main tank -- hit me up if you have questions!