Longer Bio's

For me the bio or lack thereof is often related to why the character was created.  Some most definitely have an origin story and background.  Others were created to see how X or Y or X/Y power sets work and a backstory doesn't really exist though I may develop one over time.

The some what unfortunate commonality is even if they have an extensive story is it rarely gets written out in the bio.  I just want to get in game and continue the story (or see how the sets play).  But every now and then I get motivated 🙂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Si1verg1ass said:

I too would like to have more characters for bios.  If someone doesn't read bios, fine, don't think you are how everyone else is.  I know quite a few people read bios.  I have 119 characters w/ 96 of them having bios and I frequently get comments for them. 

I would love to have the ability to add that little bit extra because like CFIndustries I ALWAYS go over the limit the first time.  Sometimes it is painful to cut out things, makes it sound chopped up.  I know that I would love to have double what we currently have and that still wouldn't be enough in some cases. 🙂

I also wish that the editor wasn't so wonky.  It captures hidden characters (for example, if you use a backspace instead of the delete) and eats up your character count (by like 4 to 6 characters each time). I would love to have the ability to just paste TEXT, not hidden garbage in from a word program.  That would be a lot harder though, I fear, as you would have to filter them out programmatically.

I usually paste mine in from a word counter app, so all I get is plain text.

4 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

I saw a great bio today were someone had basically put in notes to use in creating their bio when they got around to it. I thought that as kind of cool.

Since you left me a confused face but did not care to elaborate as to why my post confused you so, allow me to back my post up with the evidence that supports it. Hopefully this will help to alleviate any further confusion.

My beef is that there are ALREADY UI issues with the Bio editor to begin with.
And if it's a choice between adding new stuff, or burning time trying to get the bio thing to work right...as someone said.  Nobody's reading your bios NOW.

Maybe ask for a "Bios" subforum?
Post your bios there?
Then just link to them in the in-game bio screen?

You can then "War and Peace" your bio to a ridiculous extent.  And if you overrun a single post max length...you simply add a second post in the thread.

Edited by Hyperstrike

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

13 minutes ago, Hyperstrike said:

My beef is that there are ALREADY UI issues with the Bio editor to begin with.
And if it's a choice between adding new stuff, or burning time trying to get the bio thing to work right...as someone said.  Nobody's reading your bios NOW.

Maybe ask for a "Bios" subforum?
Post your bios there?
Then just link to them in the in-game bio screen?

You can then "War and Peace" your bio to a ridiculous extent.  And if you overrun a single post max length...you simply add a second post in the thread.

That's actually not a bad idea! The ONLY problem is that, is that the game does not allow external links. So anyone who is not familiar how to copy and paste in game would be unable to view the post without typing it letter for letter. However, if the UI were changed to give instructions how to copy and paste (Ctrl+C  Ctrl+V) that could fix that issue. But all in all, I really like this idea right here. It's nice, simple, and gives all the space in the world for a Bio...and...people can leave comments on it as well.

@Jimmy? You seeing this? Best idea to hit this game since sliced bread was introduced to the civilized world!

Edited by Solarverse
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ShardWarrior said:

The issue I see with increasing the length would be that you would still have people asking for more space.  Detailed character biographies are better left to something with a UI much better suited for it.

I remembered you saying this on my thread as well on this subject, and I responded to that logic with a bit of logic of my own. However, I will not argue this logic today, as I think the poster above us has the best idea to date to solve this once and for all.

2 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

I remembered you saying this on my thread as well on this subject, and I responded to that logic with a bit of logic of my own. However, I will not argue this logic today, as I think the poster above us has the best idea to date to solve this once and for all.

The Poster?

Bah!  This sounds so cold!

I'm "Hyperstrike".  Or just "Hyper" HYPER HYPER HYPER!!! *SHUDDER* for short.

Hell, in a pinch, I'll even answer to "Hey!  You!  Dummy!"

• Haha 1

Just now, Hyperstrike said:

The Poster?

Bah!  This sounds so cold!

I'm "Hyperstrike".  Or just "Hyper" HYPER HYPER HYPER!!! *SHUDDER* for short.

Hell, in a pinch, I'll even answer to "Hey!  You!  Dummy!"

Hey! I gave you props, man!  😄

• City Council
19 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

That's actually not a bad idea! The ONLY problem is that, is that the game does not allow external links. So anyone who is not familiar how to copy and paste in game would be unable to view the post without typing it letter for letter. However, if the UI were changed to give instructions how to copy and paste (Ctrl+C  Ctrl+V) that could fix that issue. But all in all, I really like this idea right here. It's nice, simple, and gives all the space in the world for a Bio...and...people can leave comments on it as well.

@Jimmy? You seeing this? Best idea to hit this game since sliced bread was introduced to the civilized world!

Post in the website feedback forum and we'll discuss it 👍

• Like 1

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

On 10/19/2020 at 3:24 PM, aethereal said:

Guys, nobody is reading your current-max-length bios.

Only the ones who don't know about the ID Badge I'm sure

• Haha 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

2 hours ago, Lockpick said:

/jranger

Innapropriate use of /jranger. 10 yard penalty, first down.

Also, as far as the link idea... anyone  remember when we had an in game web browser? For a very short time?

Edited by Greycat
  • Haha 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I think it was around the time we had advertising, honestly. I'm remembering a very basic browser, but you could get to the forum.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

2 hours ago, Greycat said:

Innapropriate use of /jranger. 10 yard penalty, first down.

Also, as far as the link idea... anyone  remember when we had an in game web browser? For a very short time?

1 hour ago, Greycat said:

I think it was around the time we had advertising, honestly. I'm remembering a very basic browser, but you could get to the forum.

Yep.  And it was ALMOST as secure as dropping trou to show off your "INSERT HERE!"" tramp stamp in a prison yard...

I like the idea of a shorter initial bio, but with a link to the database for unlimited pages of back stories. (they gave us 1000 character slots per shard, I think it's in the realm of possibilities). Why the shorter initial bio? this is your quick intro, your hook, and if you do a good job, people who do read bios will want to find out more about the toon. As someone who used to write advertising, it takes skill to keep what you're writing as short as possible--a skill that sadly not everyone can attain easily. It's much easier to lengthen a thought, to expound on an idea than it is to say things in six words.

I like reading bios when I have the opportunity to do so. And I've seen some very impressive ones well under the limit. But I also have the itch to go on a deep dive character development that gives a whole new dimension to the toon. The in-game database is a great idea, and there's a precursor already in place in the form of that atm machine looking thing that gives some of your stats. If that could be made editable, with the files saved locally (like costumes and macro files), then I think everyone will be happy.

18 hours ago, BrandX said:

And those enters only use 1 space.

Well, sometimes they do.  Sometimes the editor decides to randomly count them as another few.  Fixing the editor would be a great first step for improving bios.

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

5 hours ago, Grouchybeast said:

Well, sometimes they do.  Sometimes the editor decides to randomly count them as another few.  Fixing the editor would be a great first step for improving bios.

Just after they throw out the spaghetti I'm sure. 😂

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

5 hours ago, Grouchybeast said:

If I'm remembering, the times it decides to add a few (I'd think it's if you add two,) it throws an HTML-esque <&nbsp> (if I'm remembering that right) in. Which, yeah, eats up characters.

And then there's the times it just decides to buffer your typing until you click somewhere else, at which point it vomits out whatever you've typed.