We need No FX options everywhere.

Tsuko

On 10/25/2020 at 3:06 PM, Cozybread said:

FULLY AGREE.    But Also...

You might be able to keep your OWN POWERS from making your toon visually unenjoyable but... It would be great to have control over how much of an effect Buffs effects from others visually impact the characters on your screen as well.  

Because It's City Of Heroes , Not City of Human Torches & Ice Monsters.   Spending 5+ hours to make a unique hero or Villain to enjoy and showoff just to have someone innocently (in most cases) show-up with a fog toggle and poof.... just like that, non of us can enjoy our heroes and teammates uniqueness any longer.   

How many of us have fully completed an entire Taskforces/Strikeforces and Never even seen what our fellow teammates even looked like because we are either forced to be Stealthed, Ice blocked or set ablaze!  Inside and outside the missions.   How would you like to see a super hero film where everyone and I mean everyone who matters is on fire or looks like a frozen blocks of ice?  Your uniqueness is just stolen from you and you have no say in the matter.      😞

The game looks amazing when on lower level teams because most of the time you can at least see yourself and others.  But once you get up there, just a little bit in levels someone usually shows up with stealth toggles and or Fully body-blocking rainbow buffs and now your teams personality and uniqueness instantly disappears.  

How would you like to chill at Pocket D's and do some Roleplaying just to have someone turn you and your stunning lady friend into Ice Blobs or now be able look through her body and see  how her torso clips with her leg?    That would kinda ruin the whole experience right?  Well, for people who want to enjoy the mission content in style... it would do the very same thing.  Your visual fun you get from your adventures, plans, missions, hanging out, is completely at the mercy of the buffers. And they should never be forced to stop buffing.

Having a icon or a simple message on my screen (that I can move around) saying "You are Invisible" is good enough for me. 

Just having the choice to have the ice and flame buffs etc. show around the OUTER Area of my character and others on my screen would be great and still look good. Or just being able to disable them would be great as well.   🙂

What the.jpg

ice ugly.jpg

On your Ice Armor picture...I am asking why did you not use the already in place Minimal Effects for Ice Armor? I suggest checking it out. It will be much better if you pick that option. Also, keep in mind, I have mine set to bright while also using bright colors because I like the Icy frosty look for my Tank, but you can change the colors to make it even less noticeable.

1969607182_IceTank.jpg.ef5f56b51d889209732fd68fed889b52.jpg

Edited by Solarverse

I wholeheartedly support the option to choose "No Fx" for support buffs at Null the Gull.

I will often delete buff powers on myself if they distract from my costume. The "Ice" armor buffs are particularly obnoxious in this way.

• Like 2

Excelsior Server: Giovanni Valia, Operative Velez, Fortunata Valeri, LongFang Mercer

SG: Shades of Arachnos; 315-6811

Agreed.  I +1,000 this suggestion.  Power effects often obscure costume detail, which I find annoying.  Additionally, I feel a lot of the effects simply look ridiculous (not all, mind you- there are some great power effects in the game.  I just think we should have the option to turn off the ones that we find really annoying).

I hope this suggestion can be implemented, eventually.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm just weird but when I want to take screenshots or admire my costume, I just turn powers off.  If I were to be encountered by Johnny Storm complaining he can't see his costume while he's Flame On!!'ed, I'd probably tell him no one can see him at all unless they wear a welder's mask.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Another idea might require some new code: how about out-of-combat suppression of fx? Like with ice Armor, I like the icy whirlwind animation that plays and I'm not overly against the body ice so when you stand by without using powers, the ice will melt off (the stat points will still be there) and the moment you use powers or an enemy attacks you, the whirlwind creates the armor with the visual representation. It's be like you instantly react to activate your power to protect yourself.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Naraka said:

Another idea might require some new code: how about out-of-combat suppression of fx? Like with ice Armor, I like the icy whirlwind animation that plays and I'm not overly against the body ice so when you stand by without using powers, the ice will melt off (the stat points will still be there) and the moment you use powers or an enemy attacks you, the whirlwind creates the armor with the visual representation. It's be like you instantly react to activate your power to protect yourself.

Yeah, that would be the ideal solution, really, assuming it's possible.

• Like 1

You can turn off effects on your own character for any power pool.

/bind KEY "SuppressCloseFX 1$$SuppressCloseFXdist 300"
This will turn off your auras and armors visual effects for you, in your view only, unless you scroll 300 feet out. Others will still see them. change the number as you desire
/bind KEY "SuppressCloseFX 0" will turn all the visual fireworks back on.
Pick two keys you like.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2020 at 6:34 PM, Solarverse said:

On your Ice Armor picture...I am asking why did you not use the already in place Minimal Effects for Ice Armor? I suggest checking it out. It will be much better if you pick that option. Also, keep in mind, I have mine set to bright while also using bright colors because I like the Icy frosty look for my Tank, but you can change the colors to make it even less noticeable.

1969607182_IceTank.jpg.ef5f56b51d889209732fd68fed889b52.jpg

Lookin good Solarverse.    Ohh I know all about the Minimal Effects for Ice Armor...   And trust me... if my character (in the black & green) you see in that screen shot had Anything to do with Ice,  You best believe I would pick a softer, way more transparent ice effects using the Minimal effects I could for her. 

But also... I think your comment really helps to drive my point with that before & after pic i had there  🙂     Because anyone that sees her will most likely think,  "oh a Ice armored Tank of some sort".  But I had a mid level Blaster that had Nothing Ice related in that pic.   Some buffer out there, also with a "mind set to bright" decided that MY Character is now going to become the Bright Ice Tank of HIS dreams and dressed my character up in HIS ultra bright glowing goodness. 

So our super heroes we design might look awesome once we create them.... But the buffers have the FINAL SAY on our dress-code and (Que that scary music) they WILL choose how you and I look to others in the end.  And we currently have no say in the matter.   

Would Be nice -  to be able to see the Gull at Pockets and pick a super Minimal effects on buff effects on Everyone on your whole screen not just you.   So others can simply pick this to Enjoy EVERYONE'S Looks without having to do command codes that some may think as a complicated route.   (But I'd Still take that, if it's an option)

So we can stand around looking proud showing our character design with a smile at one point in time, and then suddenly....    without warning you hear that "FrrrraaaaaHHHHHHHhhh" x2 or " BLLOOOMmmmmN" x2   and see you and your  whole team are all the sudden.. all wearing someone else's choice of clothing/effects. 

So we just keep quiet and sigh silently at the keyboard looking forward to just standing in Atlas park just to show off and enjoy other outfits because no one can make-out what anyone even looks like in the team anymore.    😉

ugly maker3.jpg

Edited by Cozybread
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Cozybread said:

Some buffer out there, also with a "mind set to bright" decided that MY Character is now going to become the Bright Ice Tank if HIS dreams and dressed my character up in HIS ultra bright glowing goodness

LMFAO!!! You are a riot!  😄

34 minutes ago, Cozybread said:

Lookin good Solarverse.    Ohh I know all about the Minimal Effects for Ice Armor...   And trust me... if my character you see in that screen shot had Anything to do with Ice,  You best believe I would pick a softer, way more transparent ice effects using the Minimal effects I could. 

But also... I think your comment really helps to drive my point with the pic i have there  🙂     Because anyone that sees me will think,  "oh a Ice armored Tank of some sort".  But I had a mid level Blaster that had Nothing Ice related in that pic.   Some buffer out there, also with a "mind set to bright" decided that MY Character is now going to become the Bright Ice Tank if HIS dreams and dressed my character up in HIS ultra bright glowing goodness.  So our super heroes we design might look awesome once we create them.... But the buffers have the FINAL SAY on our dress-code and (Que that scary music) they WILL choose how you and I look to others in the end.  And we currently have no say in the matter.   

Would Be nice -  to be able to see the Gull at Pockets and pick a super Minimal effects on buff effects on Everyone on your whole screen not just you.   So others can simply pick this to Enjoy EVERYONE'S Looks without having to do command codes that some may think as a complicated route.   (But I'd Still take that, if it's an option)

So we can stand around looking proud showing our character design with a smile at one point in time, and then suddenly....    without warning you hear that "FrrrraaaaaHHHHHHHhhh" x2 or " BLLOOOMmmmmN" x2   and see you and your  whole team are all the sudden.. all wearing someone else's choice of clothing/effects. 

So we just keep quiet and sigh silently at the keyboard looking forward to just standing in Atlas park just to show off and enjoy other outfits because no one can make-out what anyone even looks like in the team anymore.    😉

I can't argue with that. 🙂

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Vulpoid said:

You can turn off effects on your own character for any power pool.

/bind KEY "SuppressCloseFX 1$$SuppressCloseFXdist 300"
This will turn off your auras and armors visual effects for you, in your view only, unless you scroll 300 feet out. Others will still see them. change the number as you desire
/bind KEY "SuppressCloseFX 0" will turn all the visual fireworks back on.
Pick two keys you like.

Hmmm... I'm certain I've seen something like this before.

Edited by Vindicator
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Cozybread said:

So our super heroes we design might look awesome once we create them.... But the buffers have the FINAL SAY on our dress-code and (Que that scary music) they WILL choose how you and I look to others in the end.  And we currently have no say in the matter.   

If someone uses their super powers to put a force field around you in order to protect you from harm, as is the function and theme of the entire powerset that the forcefielder chose, then yes you are going to look like you have a force field around you. It's for the satisfaction of the buffer and for your and their practical use so you can see when the buff fades and then reapply it. Additionally there is the stylistic integrity of a set named, for example, Ice Armor providing you with armour that deflects attacks.

That's not to say that effects can't get very busy when you have, say, eight players throwing fourteen distinct buffs around or that it's a bad idea to come up with a good system that allows players to adjust the level of visual information on their screen to their liking. This is just a silly way to suggest it.

1 hour ago, Blastit said:

it's for the satisfaction of the buffer.

To be honnest, i really dont care of satisfaction of random people puking horrible textures on my face.

1 hour ago, Blastit said:

This is just a silly way to suggest it.

All i ask is options. If a player with horrible taste love to spread awfull buff, well, i m nobody to say something : he can have as much as self pleasure with dirty colors on HIS screen.

Not to mention, Low power PC who just die in full league.

• Like 1

Just another French Player

So Excuse my old, bad and too french English !

Join THE COSMIC COUNCIL !!!

https://discord.gg/DVksJ4N

On 10/26/2020 at 8:50 PM, Vindicator said:

I agree with the OP.  Please add it as an option.  In the meantime, I use the following - 

1. click Menu

2. click Options

3. click Graphics and Audio tab

4. click Advanced Graphics Settings and change to Enabled

5. click Suppress When Close and change to Enabled

6. click Apply

7. type /suppressclosefxdist 99 in the chat bar and press Enter

The number 99 can be anything you want, from 0-max camera distance.  For reference, I found them at the links below.  Hope that helps 🙂

https://archive.paragonwiki.com/wiki/SuppressCloseFx_(Slash_Command)

https://archive.paragonwiki.com/wiki/SuppressCloseFxDist_(Slash_Command)

Thank you for this.    This works very nicely.   

I noticed it keeps lot of effects of my own character including leadership icons and even keeps some maps like Nightward clean as well. 

Right now I'm using /suppressclosefxdist 20      This allows me to play at my normal camera distance I like and if I want to see the effects I simply zoom out 1 camera notch with my mouse.  and all the effects show back up instantly with a flick of the finger.   

Now everyone else will still look like the buffers choice of rainbow flavors on my screen still.   

It would be nice to be able to also clean up buff effects on other characters ON MY SCREEN <---  as well and I can then take those epic screen shots (even on higher level teams) of our awesome teams and capture everyone's personality ON MY SCREEN without taking away the buffers colorful fun on his or her screen

Also The only minor drawback I noticed from this command code is... 

If i had it turned on when logging out.  The game will keep it on and so when I go to the create character screen... The effects will still be gone.  When trying to see the powers.  

So I would have to log back in and turn off the command then log back out and then I can create another character and see the powers again.  

widow.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cozybread said:

Also The only minor drawback I noticed from this command code is... 

If i had it turned on when logging out.  The game will keep it on and so when I go to the create character screen... The effects will still be gone.  When trying to see the powers.  

So I would have to log back in and turn off the command then log back out and then I can create another character and see the powers again.  

You're welcome.  I'm glad it helps.  Also, you will have to /suppressclosefxdist 0 when you go to the tailor 🙂

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later
On 11/18/2020 at 4:18 PM, Vindicator said:

You're welcome.  I'm glad it helps.  Also, you will have to /suppressclosefxdist 0 when you go to the tailor 🙂

Still sad it removes the attack fx 😕 but yeah, still the best option atm i think, thank again for sharing this 🙂

Just another French Player

So Excuse my old, bad and too french English !

Join THE COSMIC COUNCIL !!!

https://discord.gg/DVksJ4N

I remember the last time I played my cold/ice defender, during a BAF. 

I was literally chastised in a tell for buffing with one of the cold armors. (see? been so long since I played it, I forgot what it was called!) 

They told me I NEEDED to go to the tailor and choose minimal FX. 

So, I have to go and spend inf (it's the principle, not the inf) to appease you - some sensitive jerk in a pug league? Um..no. 
I loathe the tailor. Even with advanced graphics, I see no difference in a costume. I play with the camera zoomed all the way out so I can see more mobs. Just the way I play. 

I have a few costumes that all my characters share because it doesn't matter to me what they look like, really, because I can't see them most of the time. 

As the OP says - Stealthed, buffed, all these armors and effects...all I see on my dark brute is a ball of lint, really. (sort of) 

So, yeah, I agree with the OP. If we  can have a suit of armor without the armor showing, I think that'd be fine. We're already dealing with a suspension of disbelief in that we have powers. There should be an option to get the combat attributes without the physical looks impeding the costumes of those who are willing to invest the time. 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 12:41 PM, sveld said:

Totally agree with OP. It's a shame to have such a great costume designer and then not be able to see your costume because of all the power effects. Maximizing our options with regards to what FX we can see would be awesome.

Well, if he's in. I'm in!

ryan.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 5 months later

I'm shamelessly bumping this because I just respecced my Brute and thought "Oh, Energy Cloak provides a pretty nice boost to my Def vs. all," then realized I would never be able to see my character again.☹️

Edited by Mahaf
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Mahaf said:

I'm shamelessly bumping this because I just respecced my Brute and thought "Oh, Energy Cloak provides a pretty nice boost to my Def vs. all," then realized I would never be able to see my character again.☹️

Actually as long as you're IN COMBAT, you'll see your Brute just fine. 

Energy Cloak does suppress the visual cloaking effect while you punch things and a few seconds thereafter.

So one OPTION is, do use it!.... once you're in a fight.  And keep hopping from fight to fight to fight!  Never stop punching!

But I admit, on my energy/energy brute I did argue with myself if I should just skip it and take Leadership instead.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2021 at 7:39 PM, MTeague said:

Actually as long as you're IN COMBAT, you'll see your Brute just fine. 

Energy Cloak does suppress the visual cloaking effect while you punch things and a few seconds thereafter.

So one OPTION is, do use it!.... once you're in a fight.  And keep hopping from fight to fight to fight!  Never stop punching!

But I admit, on my energy/energy brute I did argue with myself if I should just skip it and take Leadership instead.

I did the same, but man I like the base +Def Energy Cloak provides for a reasonable End cost.

And it is some consolation the cloaking effect is suppressed in combat!  However, this seems like such a low-cost option to add (by simply passing over the code generating the power effects to create a "no FX" option), I definitely still hope this is something the team is considering.  One of the reasons I generally steer clear of "Natural" origins is because I feel the power effects aren't as compatible with that origin as they are with the others.  All the flash and effects suggests supernatural powers.

• Like 2