We need No FX options everywhere.

Tsuko

Out of 113 total toons I have exactly one stone armor (WITHOUT Granite) and NO bio armor toons...  BECAUSE THEY ARE SO DAMN UGLY!  Was this the result the original devs were hoping for?  Even Alt-itis addicted types like me won't roll them.  I realize there are folks out there who don't care and roll any toon with any look and any name and any powerset combo in the name of being uber however THAT isn't me.

I get that it may have been intentional to have to 'pay a price' for having these abilities - but someone went full retard with making those beyond ugly.  Honestly, they're horrendous.  Is this City of Monstrous Deformities?  I don't want to play a toon that morphs into a giant lump of dog poop to be powerful.  💩

With all of the QoL stuff the HC team has put in (and thank you!!!!) I find it odd that at the very least they don't make Ablative Carapace 'no fx'able.  Or at least make a version of it that isn't so disgusting.  Of course for those out there who like those looks (if there actually is anyone) they can be left in as optional looks.

I guess it's not really a problem per se, especially since I need more toons like I need another hole in my head, lol.  I just thought it was worth pointing this out to the HC devs, since QoL seems to be their thing.  Plus, I would really like to use bio armor on a toon or two and have for years now.  I can't even roll one of the almighty TW/Bio builds because it makes me want to check my shoes... 

So, pretty please with a cherry on top?  😁

Edited by KauaiJim
  • Like 3

Want to see my current list of characters?  Want to know more about me than you ever wanted to know?

Wish Granted!   Check out the 'About Me' in my profile:   KauaiJim - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

4 hours ago, KauaiJim said:

Out of 113 total toons I have exactly one stone armor (WITHOUT Granite) and NO bio armor toons...  BECAUSE THEY ARE SO DAMN UGLY! 

Right there with you.  Every time I say this in chat, I'm always flooded with "there's a minimal FX" option, with people completely ignoring the fact that Ablative Carapace still horks up the full shell around you with ZERO options to decline it. So I could either roll a bio and skip arguably a set defining power.... or put up with a power that I just cannot stand the look of... or I can choose a different armor set.  And yea, I know Ablative Carapace is up and gone fast. But I'd still have to see it, All the Darn Time, Every time I use it. That's a deal-breaker.

Now, admittedly, there is nothing that says I personally have to approve the looks of all powers. 

It is not the end of the world if I just .... never create a Bio Armor character.... ever. 

But I have always wondered why that one power got no Minimal FX when the rest of the set did. 

Edited by MTeague
  • Like 3

There's also a smaller unavoidable shell on the T9.

I wish that bio armor was less all or nothing: that there were meaningful shell options that weren't so gigantic and over the top, but also weren't pretty generic particle effects.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later

One of my alts is a thermal defender.

For anything affecting the look of myself, or other players, I use the dark color option.  My teammates can tell they are covered in flame, but it doesn’t change their appearance.

Now if someone asked me not to use it on them, I would.  No big deal.

Ive had players ask me not to use SB before.  The rest of the team told them to hang way back so they wouldn’t accidentally be hit with it, but I did my best not to boost them.

So.., I can't help but notice a lot of the ppl that complained about the appearance of "too much stuff on their screens" and then posted screen shots clearly had their particle physics way up there as well as several other graphic settings.. There's something to be said for doing what is readily available on player side to adjust settings to meet your needs.

I often play with very adjusted performance-ish lvl graphics b/c the overt activity on screen can be a bit of a sensory overload issue for me when leading raids or itrails etc....  almost always play with no volume b/c of this as well..... So I very much understand why lots of people have preferences etc about how they would *like* the game to function for the graphics ... but currently we have more min gfx options than we did... and even though personally I would LOVE to be able to hide alblative carapace on my bio.. or pic my own personal lvl of transparency when using an invis power.... etc etc... this seem like low priority and not something I would personally want the dev team to go out of their way to spend a lot of time or resources on to change the way power gfx have pretty much always worked.. There's plenty of functionality improvements and content etc that strike me as more important to focus on.

All that said, if there's some kind of easy way to make an option to have basically all powers offer a "min gfx" option  in the costume editor, that is something it's easy to confidently say would be extremely popular with the player base.

Also +1 for Keens point about buffs not breaking e-motes... is annoying... would be nice if SB etc didn't make me stop dance'n 😄

• Like 1

Also, a No FX version of Shield Defense where you just don't have a shield and all the normal attack animations (and female taunt) happen.

Conceptually the "shield" could be power armor, force field (aura), magical belt/bracers/necklace, or Monk-type diamond skin... anything besides that massive shield on the left arm.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

13 hours ago, ninja surprise said:

Also, a No FX version of Shield Defense where you just don't have a shield and all the normal attack animations (and female taunt) happen.

It's not 'no FX', and you still get the shield-based animations, but you can color the 'Energy Shield' under 'Elemental Shields' to be almost invisible.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/3/2021 at 11:14 AM, srmalloy said:

It's not 'no FX', and you still get the shield-based animations, but you can color the 'Energy Shield' under 'Elemental Shields' to be almost invisible.

Yep, that's what I do. I make it a very translucent color so it's barely visible. But it still does weird things to some animations like Beast Run, and makes female toons do a weird scream instead of the "Ha!" when taunting.

It'd be cool if there were a scale slider on the shield to make it small.