Focused Feedback: The Graveyard Shift (Hero Story Arc, Level 20-29)

Jimmy

• Retired Developer

Regarding the outcomes of the investigations, I used it as an opportunity to tell more story, and side stories.

The longest route sheds some light on the relationship between Agent Watkins and Julius the Troll, and with the right badges, a little insight into the post-Cavern Hollows.

The medium route has you talk to to a washed up former actor that shows the more civilian side of the impact of the Rikti Wars.

The short route justifies the otherwise useless existence of the patrol boxes.

Edit: Just choose callboxes and some light zone travel later, it's over.

As was stated earlier, I apologize for any misgivings with your gameplay experience, this arc is very much a plot-driven story and a technical exercise. The complaints lodged are valid, and not setting a standard for expectations.

• Thanks 2

"Science. Science, my friend, requires radical gambles and adventures in malpractice sometimes. Take solace in the fact that I tested the majority of these things on the dead, the re-dead, and the nearly departed before I went to live trials.

Honestly, most of my "specimens" were several iterations past being considered a human being with their original fingerprints, teeth, or IDs. So it was rather a lot like experimenting on moaning clay putty."

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master! For science and community!

I enjoyed both parts.  I only thought that Cortex was a little much with his confuse, Psi DPS, and clones.

But it did seem more like a TF than an arc.  Something that was designed for a team or an uber-built character that can solo TFs.

Edited by Bionic_Flea

• Retired Developer
5 hours ago, Mystic_Cross said:

Ok, I'm stuck on Agent Watkins "get your vaccine from the CDC" It says I go to Independence Port, but there is no marker for a place to go when I get there. I even checked the tram just to make sure it wasn't listed there. Has anyone done this one yet?

I'm struggling to determine why there isn't a waypoint, but you have to return to the CDC commander at Pathogen's warehouse, IP South

"Science. Science, my friend, requires radical gambles and adventures in malpractice sometimes. Take solace in the fact that I tested the majority of these things on the dead, the re-dead, and the nearly departed before I went to live trials.

Honestly, most of my "specimens" were several iterations past being considered a human being with their original fingerprints, teeth, or IDs. So it was rather a lot like experimenting on moaning clay putty."

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master! For science and community!

Sorry, didn't see here. posted in bugs, but they were bugs, so maybe okay to post in bugs instead when bugs?

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

2 hours ago, Piecemeal said:

I'm struggling to determine why there isn't a waypoint, but you have to return to the CDC commander at Pathogen's warehouse, IP South

Hmm, well I entered IP from the north tram so perhaps that caused it to not trigger the waypoint for some reason? I’ll try going through the south tram when I get home and see if anything different happens.

21 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

Sorry, didn't see here. posted in bugs, but they were bugs, so maybe okay to post in bugs instead when bugs?

Link to the bug post.

There's some general feedback in there as well, it seems. I think it might be better off in this post, just to make methodically going through feedback a little easier.

I tried re-entering IP on the South tram but still got no waypoint marker for the CDC vaccination mission. I'm currently bringing a blaster through the arc at level 28, but am auto-completing some of the missions to get to that point faster and see if it happens again.

I did run into a small situation on one of the missions where I couldn't get to the door, my blaster just has superspeed, and none of the p2w temp powers (like jump pack). When I got to the mission "Investigate the Rusty Rivet bar" the door seems to always spawn on the roof as a designated point... I like it, it's a mission door I've never seen used before so it was memorable, but my SS only blaster had to figure out that I could jump onto a streetlamp, and then onto a higher ledge, and then finally onto the roof to access the mission door. It was a bit frustrating for a few minutes, trying to decide if I should run all the way back to Atlas or something to get a temp power. Below is a pic of the areas I had to jump on to reach the roof. 

6rGI9j9.png

• Like 1

and apparently there are choices in this arc that can affect what missions you get, because my blaster finished the arc without getting the same "get antiviral from CDC" mission. He did however get a mission for Pathogen's warehouse, so I remembered the location and brought my tank to that spot. There was still no marker, but talking to the PPD Hazmat Commander outside Pathogen's warehouse completed the mission, and subsequently the arc since this was the final mission for my tank. Below is a screenshot with map location in south IP for the Hazmat Commander: 

iVdoFGZ.png

• Thanks 1

Hello! Testing this out with a L20 rad/atomic blaster, just to see if it is possible. 

One thing I do for reals is proofread. Here are two typos found thus far:

• In Watkins text that starts with "Yes, despite everything I've seen", the word 'cellular' is spelled 'celluar'.
  • In 'Hunt Down the Cannibal Corpses', a freak says "I told you we should have been more discrete." Guessing he meant the other meaning and spelling, 'discreet'.

Random thoughts:

I liked 'Dubstitch'

I hit 'leave' before I accepted mission 1 from Watkins, wondering if it would kick me back out to the text so I could read one part again, but when I came back to him, I had the mission The Graveyard Shift as if I had completed his conversations. Intentional?

In the first mission after beating up 20 freaks in Talos, I saw the cadavers dancing with the Freaks and I think my jaw dropped. 'Clearly something is different' might have come out of my mouth. And then I got to enjoy my

First death of the arc! As the zoombies plowed into me before I could react. Might have still been in amazement mode after watching them dance. 

I'll come back to this later when I have some more time, but those are my initial observations - except for, this was fun! And that's the point! Thank you kindly. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Aardvark said:

I hit 'leave' before I accepted mission 1 from Watkins, wondering if it would kick me back out to the text so I could read one part again, but when I came back to him, I had the mission The Graveyard Shift as if I had completed his conversations. Intentional?

The same thing happened to me. Thought I could leave then come back and re-read the intro, but when I talked to him again he acted like we'd gone through the dialog already and just handed me a mission and that was that.

• Retired Developer
44 minutes ago, Mystic_Cross said:

The same thing happened to me. Thought I could leave then come back and re-read the intro, but when I talked to him again he acted like we'd gone through the dialog already and just handed me a mission and that was that.

There is a bit of a, how shall I say, well, Catch-22 with the intro dialog.

It's useful to read. Not everyone wants to read it. It's tied to the contacts First Visit string, because anywhere else, and it may show up again. And if it does, it might be jarringly out of place, like between missions. Not the least to mention that the only way a person running through Ouro could see it is if I made that whole thing part of a delivery mission where you have to see Watkins in person.

I've elected instead that the dialog is a bonus, and the true meat of it is just summarized in the opening of the first mission to throw the Ourobarons a bone.

It will also not trigger again if you have completed the arc in any fashion and obtained the souvenir.

I will copy/paste the conversation in a subsequent post.

• Like 1

• Retired Developer

{HeroName}, I'm glad you signed on for this operation. As you know, the activity at the Overbrook Dam were all anyone could talk about for weeks. The Mad Doctor himself, finally captured for his crimes! It was an event some people never thought they'd live to see. The boogeyman of Paragon was finally caught.

I usually don't fawn over things like this, but something that hasn't happened to me in a while happened: My agency is humbled and you've impressed me. That's why we're back here again, and I'm asking for your help.

[[What can I do for you, Agent Watkins?->Reveal]]
[[Click here to skip this introduction->(Close)]]

---------------------------------------

(Reveal)

You're going to have to help me settle things around here since the Doctor was incarcerated. It was a forgone conclusion that taking him out of the equation was inevitable, but what we couldn't predict was what his cult-like followers would do in his absence. We had three leading theories about what would happen, and it appears we are in the worst-case-scenario theory.

[[What's happening with the Vahzilok, Agent?->Unrest]]

-----------------------------------------

(Unrest)

<color orange>Watkins looks at you for a moment, takes several breaths, and continues.</color>

You should know that I tend not to give information without giving all of it, including the backstory. The key to understanding the present, and the future, is to understand the past.

Doctor Vahzilok was brilliant, mad as a hatter, but not a fool. He was an early adopter of the internet, specifically forums, as a way to spread his message and also to preserve his efforts for all time. Doctor Vahzilok knew from the get-go that nothing is ever truly lost on the Internet, so he raised a following and shared his notes so that his ideas would live on well past his time.

[[And now his time has come to a possible end. I understand.->Somber]]
[[You're still not telling me the situation as it is, Agent. Get to the point.->Arrogance]]

• Thanks 2

• Retired Developer

(Arrogance)

I understand your position, but until you treat me with the respect I have earned as a non-partisan civil servant of the United States government, I'm afraid I will have to seek help elsewhere.

It would appear superpowers don't always come packaged with super manners. I regret to inform you that our business together is wholly dependent on your attitude and you should be prepared to give me both the time and respect that I deserve.

[[Understood, Agent.->Rebound]]

-------------------------------------------

(Rebound)

<color orange>Watkins looks at you for a moment wild cold eyes, from over the top of his glasses. He takes several breaths, and continues.</color>

Thank you. Now as I was trying to say, you should know that I tend not to give information without giving all of it, including the backstory. The key to understanding the present, and the future, is to understand the past.

<color orange>Agent Watkins seems to assess if you're true to your word and paying attention. He seems satisfied with you for now.</color>

Doctor Vahzilok was brilliant, mad as a hatter, but not a fool. He was an early adopter of the internet, specifically forums, as a way to spread his message and also to preserve his efforts for all time. Doctor Vahzilok knew from the get-go that nothing is ever truly lost on the Internet, so he raised a following and shared his notes so that his ideas would live on well past his time.

[[And now his time has come to a possible end. I understand.->Somber]]

----------------------------------------

(Somber)

Yes, and what couldn't be adequately predicted was what would happen once his time came. We had three theories: One, that things would quiet down and the research would stall out due to the demoralization of his followers; Two, that the information would end up in the hands of SERAPH or DATA and purposed for the advancement of humanity; Or three, the followers would scramble to be the next Dr. V, circle the wagons, and begin infighting to be the next King of the Corpses.

It would appear that the worst-case-scenario, Option 3, is happening in real time, as we speak. In truth, we always knew this was the only option, but we left the door open for hope that other options were possible.

[[Admirable mentality, all things considered. So what's the latest development?->ForumsHero]]
[[Let those madmen tear each other apart. Less work for us.->ForumsVigilante]]

• Thanks 2

• Retired Developer

(ForumsHero)

Yes, despite everything I've seen in my years with the Bureau I still retain a modicum of optimism. But it just wasn't enough for this situation.

I've been following 6 different forums that are nested on the dark web that all follow Vahzilok's research, and one has become a hotbed of vitriolic speech lately. Normally I would dismiss these kinds of things as petty arguments between keyboard warriors, but these are different times we live in now, and we can't ignore the small hunches in search of bigger collars.

Two people have been arguing over the future of the research, heavily debating immune response boosting to fight diseases versus celluar stimulation for accelerated healing responses. A user by the name xMaladyction is so absolutely sure of her position that four hours ago they posted an address to anyone that disagreed with her, to fight them in real life. 'NewtralizeKeyes' posted three hours ago that he was going to end this argument once and for all.

Their posting history suggests a dangerous attachment to their ideological positions so I have no doubt this will be something for your caliber of firepower.

[[Won't this tip off the Vahz that the forum isn't safe?->Insightful]]
[[You're sending me on an errand to end an internet argument?->LOLWTF]]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(ForumsVigilante)

Less work us, perhaps, but there's no way to quantify the collateral damage. Why do I get the impression that you think this is beneath you?

[[I've already taken out their boss. Isn't that the goal?->TiredOfIt]]
[[I thought something more heroic would be on my radar.->L3Blues]]
[[Give the SL10-SL20 heroes the chance to prove themselves like I did.->MakeYourOwnTF]]

• Thanks 2

• Retired Developer

(Fork from ForumsHero)

My team and I have archived everything that is of relevance from this forum. I've also embedded several dummy accounts so I'll be alerted if and when it relaunches. I have a list of names and aliases to work with, so them shutting down is too little too late. This is the biggest of the six forums, so this is a worthwhile risk. The others may shutter out of caution, but some will sense opportunity to take in the displaced users, and the cycle will repeat when we're ready for the next strike.

[[And people say heroes need powers. You're proof to the contrary!->Thanks]]

<answer>`Requires natural origin char> eq`</answer>
[[As someone without powers myself, thanks for the hard work.->NaturalThanks]]

<answer>`Requires technology origin char> eq`</answer>
[[Okay, D.A.T.A. has to have issued you a hero license. Show me!->Thanks]]

<answer>`Requires science origin char> eq`</answer>
[[This sounds like a social experiment!->Thanks]]

[[I'm on it, Agent. I'll make sure this stays contained.->Accept]]

------------------------------------

(LOLWTF)

It appears so. I figured you would want to end what you started with the Doctor's arrest, so I suppose I will have to fake an apology that this mission isn't more glamorous or epic.

<color orange>Watkins looks more than slightly irritated with you.</color>

[[I thought I'd be fighting Ghost Widow or defending a Moon base by now.->L3Blues]]

• Thanks 2

• Retired Developer

(Fork from Forums Vigilante)

----------

(TiredOfIt)

And so, then, why wouldn't I go with a tested-and-true asset with the experience to handle it with minimal issue?

[[I get it. I'm the ringer. I'll put an end to this.->Accept]]

---------------

(L3Blues)

I hate to break it to you, but sometimes you get a day where your missions aren't all that glamorous, but you still have to get the job done and save the day. Statesman wasn't above getting a cat of a tree, you know. He did it all the time.

[[All right, I'll go, but Freakshow next - I need a challenge.->Accept]]

-----------------

(MakeYourOwnTF)

We just don't know what to expect, that's why I coded this mission above that level of hero. Could you imagine walking into that building and it's nothing like what you've known prior? That you might have been able to easily walk all over them with your barely enhanced twleve powers before, but all of a sudden the rules have changed and they're not playing by the same expectations? I'm not taking chances, I've seen some radical things on these forums. You might not be up against the same-old same-old.

[[I'll make sure to mention any weirdness, then.->Accept]]

• Thanks 2

• Retired Developer

(Fork from ForumsHero/Insightful)

---------------------------

(NaturalThanks)

You might think I have a bias towards natural heroes, but you're all equally important and none are more relevant than another. What really matters is that when the chips are down, you can be counted on to do the right thing when the situation asks for it. That's what a hero is, whether you're jabbing at it with a stick, flying into it headfirst with a suit of mecha armor, or transmuting a solution from the ether of an incomprehensible dimension. My perspective is that at the end of the day, humanity is safe, growing, and learning. That's what matters.

[[Powerful words. I'm happy to jab my stick at the problem.->Accept]]

-------------------------------

(Thanks)

I think a lot of people underestimate the contributions we 'regular joes' still make. We may not raise islands out of the ocean, or dive into the gullet of gods to save the world, or defend the front lines from Hamidon; but we still keep our ears to the ground and our eyes to the skies to make sure the right people are in the right places. Our grounded perspective keeps the common person in focus.

<answer>`Requires magic origin char> eq`</answer>
[[Let us not relive the abject horror of Mot and Diabolique.->Accept]]

<answer>`Requires science origin char> eq`</answer>
[[Some day, the Hamidon'll get what's coming to him.->Accept]]

[[On behalf of people like me, I want you to know I'm grateful for it.->Accept]]

• Thanks 2

• Retired Developer

(Accept)

<color orange>Agent Watkins claps his hands together and cracks his knuckles.</color>

When you're ready, we can begin digging into this mess.

[[I'm ready.->(Close)]]

• Thanks 2

• Retired Developer

It would appear that a bunch of my corrected typos have resurfaced there.

That is not intentional. 😕

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

As a Mind Controller, I absolutely LOVED confusing a metric farkton of explodey enemies =D None of whom were ever able to touch me anyway, because I was hovering the whole time. That -might- be an issue to look at: once the "zoombies" have their mind set on exploding, they don't bother with their ranged attacks.

All the spawns seemed set at +0/x2 (or sometimes x3), even though I was playing at -1/x0. Again, I didn't mind (no pun intended), but I'm forced to wonder how I would have fared on a fresh level 25 with no set bonuses. I WAS exemping and in task force mode. so maybe that's why the -1 wasn't working?

The Vhaz zombies were oddly... eloquent, throughout the arc. Maybe the lines are meant to be said by the reapers and surgeons, but for me, all I saw where the zombies carrying on like intelligent, sentient people. Kinda off-putting.

The rafters of the bar is a nice effort, but there's some upside-down hanging lamps in there, kinda distracting. The bar itself looks good, but, might need a QA pass. I understand Piecemeal had to do like 90% of everything himself, so I'm not knocking the effort, but I think maybe it might help to give one of our top-tier base-builders a crack at the editing tools to spruce up the joint (Dacy comes to mind, but with the base competition coming up, I'm sure other names will be in contention, too)!

I had a ruined moment of glee at the end. I thought Cortex said "May the best mentalist triumph!", but instead he just said "metahuman". One thing that's always cheesed me off about this game is when someone says something like "We need a powerful psychic!" and I'm like "hello, high-level Mind Controller, right here!" and they're like "Quick, we have to find Penelope Yin!", "...@#$%^!" If there's any way for the game to detect if someone has Mind control, Illusion control, Psi Blast or Psi Melee as powersets, I think it'd be really cool for an NPC to recognize that! Otherwise, it was a fun fight!

Someone else here mentioned disdain at the use of multiple zones and running around, emulating 2004-era gameplay, when "traveling" was considered "content". I personally didn't mind at all, buuuuut on the other hand, I do see where they're coming from. This arc is level 20-25 (29 when exemping), so I kinda wonder why it wasn't designed from the get-go to take place more in Talos and IP, and instead we're spending half our time in lower-level zones. I mean, I GET it, this arc is technically a sequel to the Positron TF, so starting in SC makes some kind of sense, but, I dunno.

My one big gripe is how the contact text assumes you're speaking to Dr. Watkinis face-to-face, instead of calling him (until the last mission). Especially when you're in Skyway, and the text says that he gets a message on his phone and he shows you a video on it. It's like, uhm, I'm a few miles away, talking to him on MY phone. Maybe this can be changed to him sending you the video instead? On a related note, when speaking to him in the 2nd-to-Last mission, I picked the 3rd choice, not because of any intent on my part, but because I thought that was the most relevant information for the contact. I didn't expect to get chewed out as if I was gonna go on a rampage. Just because I chose to inform him that we were duped, doesn't mean he's gotta treat me like a jerk =/

Overall, I enjoyed the arc! Some of the branching options aid in replayability, which is really nice! Though it also kinda feels designed around wanting people to replay the mission, rather than just giving them options? Maybe that's just me, though. My only gripe there is that the mission took well over an hour, almost two, I mean yeah, I was reading the clues and everything (all of which were well-written), but I'm not exactly in a hurry to repeat it.

So, TLDR:

Pros: Good story, well-written clues and dialogue, cool custom mechanics, nice use of branching dialogue and trees to shake things up.
Cons: Rusty Rivet map could use some work; Arc has some "old-school" flavor that, while welcome, also feels a bit misplaced.

Misc: Enemies are pretty verbose, kinda hard to read NPC text when kicking their butt/getting my butt kicked. Certain responses seem "keyed" to certain alignments and change how people react to you, even if you don't mean it "that way".

Edited by EmperorSteele
typos
  • Like 1