Focused Feedback: Energy Melee Revamp

Jimmy

5 hours ago, Troo said:

Forgot: A ground punch AoE sounded cooler than what's there currently (is it the Stun animation still?).

Could still be a cone but different anime that says AoE rather than a single target anime hitting multiple targets.

I would love a nice ground punch animation like the one from Rad, Atom Smasher is it?

Would that be possible to add as an alternate animation, I wonder?

Also yes, I believe Power Crash is currently using the original Stun animation.

You moved the EF consumption from Bone Smasher. Thank you. Please ship it. I have a Scrapper that has been waiting to exist for over a decade.

Also thank you for all the hard work, and reading through this morass of feedback. I know it can't be easy to parse all the conflicting voices to try and make a choice that will work best for everyone.

• Like 6

Re: Stun

On any target worth specifically stunning as opposed to just killing, you would still need a 1-2 punch to stun even before this new version of EM. 

Needing to set up a new 1-2 punch that just so happens to do more damage and have side effects is a net boost, and does not invalidate the cottage rule as there are no slotting changes to any effected powers.

• Thanks 5

4 hours ago, Mystic_Cross said:

I would love a nice ground punch animation like the one from Rad, Atom Smasher is it?

I was thinking the alternate foot stomp. (similar to Atom Smasher but no jump)

• Like 2

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

14 hours ago, Troo said:

Con: Tankers don't get any benefit until they have Total Focus.. are they really using it at higher levels? are folks even slotting it for use?

Tankers get Total Focus at 20. Besides, the Barrage(Bone Smasher) Energy Focus use is likely there to allow people to be able to try out the system prior to 35. It’s easy to forget that high end play is only one aspect of this game.

Edited by Myrmidon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

24 minutes ago, Galaxy Brain said:

Re: Stun

On any target worth specifically stunning as opposed to just killing, you would still need a 1-2 punch to stun even before this new version of EM. 

Needing to set up a new 1-2 punch that just so happens to do more damage and have side effects is a net boost, and does not invalidate the cottage rule as there are no slotting changes to any effected powers.

And what if there are multiple of said targets worth stunning that would require that new 1-2 punch that one could theoretically 1-shot stun and then work on another target using the live set?

Edited by Naraka
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Naraka said:

And what if there are multiple of said targets worth stunning that would require a new 1-2 punch that one could theoretically 1-shot stun and then work on another target using the live set?

Luckily, there are now 2 AoEs with 20% stun chances each. Also, anything you could 1-shot stun can likely just be 1-shot by EM.

If you are concerned about hard-Crowd Controlling multiple targets tho, there may be a different AT

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Galaxy Brain said:

Luckily, there are now 2 AoEs with 20% stun chances each. Also, anything you could 1-shot stun can likely just be 1-shot by EM.

If you are concerned about hard-Crowd Controlling multiple targets tho, there may be a different AT

So what you're saying is the set shouldn't have that capability anymore.

EDIT: to clarify, I'm talking about the guaranteed Mez outside of your focused ST DPS rotation.

Edited by Naraka

Ok, tried out the new changes on my Em/EA stalker. Ran the Rammiel arc on +1x8. I had no difficulty plowing through it all. Changing Bonesmasher so it doesn't consume the energy thingy is quite helpful, and it makes it much easier to just chain things as they are available instead of being careful. Putting the consumption into barrage works for me, since I skip that power anyway (and I really don't value the stuns to any appreciable degree).

I was able to beat down Echo of Minos and the Honroree very quickly. 

Sometime I'll probably build a EM tank, and then barrage will be annoying, but as with all T1 garbage powers on tanks, I'll just not slot it up and leave it out of my tray. The mandatory T1 powers on tanks is irritating, but it's just part of the game. A switch might be nice, but I won't hold my breath. Some people actually like barrage, though for the life of me I don't get why. 

Edited by drbuzzard
  • Like 2

I don't see any reason for the improved stun element on Barrage being any higher than Mag 3. As far as I'm aware, there are very few hard CC (hold, stun etc.) which sit naturally at Mag 4. Only thing that comes to mind is the Fortunata's Scramble Thoughts which is Mag 4. Energy Melee is not a Control set, the Stun element is pleasant secondary effect, not the primary concern.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Oh? You like City of Heroes?

Name every player character.

I'll be waiting in my PMs.

2 hours ago, Naraka said:

So what you're saying is the set shouldn't have that capability anymore.

EDIT: to clarify, I'm talking about the guaranteed Mez outside of your focused ST DPS rotation.

More that it doesnt need it - rather than shouldnt have it - even though it still has an arsenal of stun.

Edited by Infinitum
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Infinitum said:

More that it doesnt need it - rather than shouldnt have it - even though it still has an arsenal of stun.

Then why not restore it to preserve current functionality? It's one thing to remove it if the functionality pushes the effectiveness of the set too high and it's another to presume what someone needs while not knowing what said person needs or desires.

15 hours ago, Troo said:

Pro: Nice bonus utility for Tankers on a power they are stuck with.

Con: Tankers don't get any benefit until they have Total Focus.. are they really using it at higher levels? are folks even slotting it for use?

Con: It is likely the second most skipped power. This could add a power that needs to fit into existing builds.

Comment: I'll likely just skip this power if it went live as is. Stuns can be had else where. Not much survives long enough to try and fit it in a build just for the -special -regen. I'll grab a temp if needed.

In what way is barrage, or any power, becoming less "skippable" a con? 

• Thanks 4

42 minutes ago, Arcadio said:

In what way is barrage, or any power, becoming less "skippable" a con? 

Exactly. Skipping ANY primary or secondary should always be a difficult choice. The fact that it’s not is a problem I am happy to see the devs addressing.

Edited by Wavicle
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

Exactly. Skipping ANY primary or secondary should always be a difficulty choice. The fact that it’s not is a problem I am happy to see the devs addressing.

Agreed.  It's kinda suckie, but should always be tough choices.

Okay, walked my EM/Invul scrap through the first Croatoa arc to level 29, then cheated to 33.

I finally started to feel a little less fragile towards the ends of the twenties, probably due more to getting Invincibility than anything to do with EM.  I continue to think that EM could use a little more polish and care at low levels, though.  The move of the guaranteed stun to Barrage is nice, but between endurance issues and very unreliable mitigation, those sort of late-teens, early 20's doldrums were particularly bad.

Not a ton else to say, really.  Ghosts with their to-hit debuffing suck, you don't like missing on this character.  Combat Teleport was only a weak help.  Looking forward to having Energy Transfer to play around with.

6 hours ago, Hopestar said:

It's not going to stun long enough to make a difference and you'd employ the same strategy most people do at level 1, stun one, kill the other.

I can basically stun lock a +4 av without its triangles. Anyone complaining about stuns hasn't actually play tested the set.

Edited by ScarySai
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Naraka said:

Then why not restore it to preserve current functionality? It's one thing to remove it if the functionality pushes the effectiveness of the set too high and it's another to presume what someone needs while not knowing what said person needs or desires.

because then you are infringing on troller territory with 5x the dmg output.  i dont know what it really is but it feels like 5x.  Not to mention - its a secondary effect and it still has an arsenal of that secondary effect that is quite good as it is.