Focused Feedback: Titan Weapons Revamp

Jimmy

16 minutes ago, MAH said:

"Firstly, the mechanics of the set make the set difficult to get started with. Secondly, when fully built, Titan Weapons massively overperforms compared to other melee set in almost every metric."

My perception of this was that the game developers intended to reward players for learning how to manage a relatively clunky set. Taking the skill requirements away from sets destroys any sense of pride in specialization, practice, or mastery. I view City of Heroes as a relatively easy game and the skill needed to run Titan Weapons at a high level was something that allowed players to stand out from others.

Having tested the newer version of Titan Weapons I do not see any value-added reasons to play this set over any other set. I believe that continuing to make changes with this style of thinking will lead to a game where each and every character within an AT will play too similarly to one another and powersets will be differentiated only by visuals. 

I have enjoyed City of Heroes for the past 16 years, but a game where practice has no impact on performance is a game that I will tire of very quickly. 

This is called "balance", and if some of the numbers I've seen are right TW "played at high level" was head and shoulders above almost anything else with strong AOE and ST damage with almost no downside besides "Build right" and "Learn to play". If you really want to practice your rotation down to a fine ballerina dance so you can "stand out" try FF14 or something and get into competitive parsing. COH has never been the game for that. TBH the original iteration I think was the start of paid, premium powercreep by NCsoft, something we've seen with the "premium" powersets typically outperforming "base" ones by large margins.

Edited by Shadowflare
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, JayboH said:

Honestly I am happy to see how understanding the community has been in this thread so far.

A lot of power players knew how OP the set was and officially publicly have known nerfs were coming since April. 

Constructive feedback is great.

I know, I was expecting this thread to blow up like a Rage thread. That's why I was like, "oh gosh I hope Galaxy Brain posts his charts right away so people know it's still amazing"

Of course, Galaxy Brain did post his charts right away, so maybe that worked.

Edited by Vanden
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Shadowflare said:

If you really want to practice your rotation down to a fine ballerina dance so you can "stand out" try FF14 or something and get into competitive parsing. COH has never been the game for that.

This was my exactly my point.

City of Heroes has given me the opportunity to play this way over the past 16 years. This is a feedback thread, so I wanted to caution against this path because it will cause players with my style to turn away. If the developers view this as the proper path for "balance" that is their prerogative. 

Edited by MAH
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Shadowflare said:

the original iteration I think was the start of paid, premium powercreep by NCsoft, something we've seen with the "premium" powersets typically outperforming "base" ones by large margins.

is this actually like, true? what even were the paid powersets, 'cuz between stj, tw and staff you got TW tier, stj bein' OK (only great on stalkers after ATOs are considered) and staff uh, being extremely bad. what were the ranged sets? beam rifle and water? beam rifle was like, real, real bad before SCORE, wasn't it? 2/5 doesn't feel like a trend to me

anyways, did a bit more testing and yeah, TW got hit pretty bad. in terms of my extremely narrow scope of chars/builds, i hate to say that i really can't see a great reason to actually pick it over practically any other powerset at the moment given how much damage is weighted at that level vs. mitigation. the additional layers of mitigation it adds basically do nothing, and way more flexible (in terms of being able to smoothly play in live scenarios and power choice/slotting wise) sets are available and better.

like... almost every single melee powerset i've tested is either equal or better than TW in terms of both AOE and ST performance at the moment.

i'm not really sure how i feel about high-end tw being roughly good as high-end broadsword, haha.

i know folks are out for blood so they'll be fine as long as it gets it's knees broken so i figure there won't be as much of an outcry, but i might as well provide a "realistic" perspective in terms of high-end performance that TW is being specifically called out for

also, in my additional testing, the main thing that actually adds to the smoothness of TW is the change to crushing blow. the other changes ultimately don't seem to do much to smooth things out at that high-end besides making TW more similar feeling to other powersets (the vibe i get instead of giant momentum death top i.e. guts from berserk is more like... 'slightly slower katana', haha).

i'd imagine in SO and mid-level IO builds that the buffs probably smooth out the experience a lot more since double whirling smash will be more available to them, but it's definitely notable.

Edited by Kanil
  • Like 1

Alright so I played with the new TW on a TW/Nin scrapper.  I played at +0/x0, +1/x3, +1/x6 and +4/x8 at levels 20, 30, and 50 though 5 paper missions in each level range. If I died twice I would give up and move on. I used SO's until 50 when I ran one mission with a full generic IO build and then one using the random IO set button.  I also used the new TP pool to great effect.  I used no Incarnate powers.

My impressions of it are that it feels WAY more responsive and smooth to play while still having the up/down feel of heaving around a large weapon.  If I forgot myself for a moment and dropped momentum at the wrong time it would throw me off balance. That's a neat feeling.  I can see why some people wouldn't like it though.  It's still better than it was.  Missing an attack and having to go through multiple heavy swings before Momentum kicked on sucked.  That's why I never got a TW above 20 before.

I did die more then I wanted to but I think that was Nin's fault. It's not the toughest set out there.  Once I got into a good rhythm of using Defensive Sweep often and continually knocking people down I was fine. I was able to take on a 4/8 Council and Carnie mission with little trouble.   I thought the Carnies would give me trouble with the -end effect but the new mechanics on Momentum saved me there.  That and Nin's End heal.  I really didn't have endurance issues like I was expecting.

I also made a macro to swap out the TP bind between regular and combat TP.  Hit it right as I go into a mission and switch back when I walk out.  I also combined the Nin stealth with a +stealth in Combat Teleport.  I could run around with impunity which was funny, sneaking up with the giant axe and dropping an AOE on groups.

I think if I was to make this live, I think I would make a TW/Stone tank with the new TP pool and the stealth pool. Play a Jason/Pyramid head style monster.  Very slow but always catches you, suddenly surprises you from behind.

Overall I didn't see many bugs or glitches and it seems to have worked wonderfully.

**The only bug I saw seemed to be some kind of animation issue with TP.  When turning on Danger Sense while using TP to get across Talos it played the Dragon's Tail animation from MA.  While in a mission and using Combat Teleport it played the Rend Armor animation.  I was unable to reproduce the issue and it seemed otherwise minor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vanden said:

I know, I was expecting this thread to blow up like a Rage thread. That's why I was like, "oh gosh I hope Galaxy Brain posts his charts right away so people know it's still amazing"

Of course, Galaxy Brain did post his charts right away, so maybe that worked.

It's a bit more contentious on Discord concerning these changes.  

Well, that is one way to do it, I was hoping for a different solution.

I was hoping momentum would actually be momentum, in that every time you use a power you add little bit to a stack of momentum and as long as you still have time on the stack you keep going at momentum speed.  If you stop for too long you lose it and have to start over.

Virtue Shard:

Quick Shot Kid

Liberty Vanguard

Gleaming Spark

Shadow Squirrel

9 hours ago, LaughingAlex said:

I thought i'd share this using a power analyzer.  To those who are wondering, this is the reason people are using pylons to test the viability of sets regarding single target damage.  The resistance is the same across the board.

the Mission Simulator test also had enemies with no resistances.

The avg resists across levels does matter, but we don't have concrete info on that just yet.

Current live TW is top-tier ST, top-tier aoe, top-tier safety.  It's not going to come out of this test cycle still being the nearly-best at everything, there's no stopping that so I think it's pointless to talk about what it deserves (read: should at all be nerfed).

So keep this in mind: if you only care about pylon times, if you're sitting here actively saying "it's not worth playing unless it's the absolute best," you just gotta understand that means there is only ever one correct set for you.

That's just what first place means.

• Like 8

20 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Powerset Revamp: Titan Weapons

• Whilst Momentum is active, all Titan Weapons attacks will:
    • Recharge 25% faster, with proportional damage and endurance cost reduction per the standard damage formulas
    • Have an additional 25% endurance cost reduction

The more I think about it, the more I become convinced the damage recalculation portion is the wrong thing to do.  Why?  It's simple.

While Momentum is active, these powers are granted a temporary 25% recharge and endurance reduction enhancement.

When I add a recharge or endurance reduction enhancement to a power it does not recalculate the damage of the power "per the standard damage formulas."  When a global enhancement bonus to recharge/endurance is applied to all my powers, my attacks do not recalculate damage "per the standard damage formulas."  When another activated power that reduces recharge/endurance costs to all my powers is applied (by me or another player), my attacks do not recalculate damage "per the standard damage formulas."

Across every attack in the game an attack's damage is calculated from the original power numbers per the standard damage formulas.  They are never recalculated because of some change to the power's recharge/endurance cost when using powers or enhancements that modify those values. Correct me if I'm wrong and provide examples because I know of exactly zero instances.

It's fine if you want to add that recharge and endurance reduction as a benefit to having Momentum.  But, it should not change the damage calculation as it is fully inconsistent with the rest of the game effects that also apply similar reductions.  Damage calculation is not a sliding scale based on changing recharge and endurance costs.  It never has been.  It never should be.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Kanil said:

is this actually like, true? what even were the paid powersets, 'cuz between stj, tw and staff you got TW tier, stj bein' OK (only great on stalkers after ATOs are considered) and staff uh, being extremely bad. what were the ranged sets? beam rifle and water? beam rifle was like, real, real bad before SCORE, wasn't it? 2/5 doesn't feel like a trend to me

anyways, did a bit more testing and yeah, TW got hit pretty bad. in terms of my extremely narrow scope of chars/builds, i hate to say that i really can't see a great reason to actually pick it over practically any other powerset at the moment given how much damage is weighted at that level vs. mitigation. the additional layers of mitigation it adds basically do nothing, and way more flexible (in terms of being able to smoothly play in live scenarios and power choice/slotting wise) sets are available and better.

like... almost every single melee powerset i've tested is either equal or better than TW in terms of both AOE and ST performance at the moment.

i'm not really sure how i feel about high-end tw being roughly good as high-end broadsword, haha.

i know folks are out for blood so they'll be fine as long as it gets it's knees broken so i figure there won't be as much of an outcry, but i might as well provide a "realistic" perspective in terms of high-end performance that TW is being specifically called out for

also, in my additional testing, the main thing that actually adds to the smoothness of TW is the change to crushing blow. the other changes ultimately don't seem to do much to smooth things out at that high-end besides making TW more similar feeling to other powersets (the vibe i get instead of giant momentum death top i.e. guts from berserk is more like... 'slightly slower katana', haha).

i'd imagine in SO and mid-level IO builds that the buffs probably smooth out the experience a lot more since double whirling smash will be more available to them, but it's definitely notable.

It’s pretty true for most paid sets.

Water Blast and Titan are both great at what they do.

Beam Rifle does well, but can be tricky to really leverage.

Staff is high Defense and tons of AoE, so despite not being overpowered it has a niche in content play.  Non-Stalkers could use a bit more singletarget DPS in Staff, if you ask me.  But that’s not what the set excels at, so even as is I’m happy with it.

And poor Kinetic Melee is way down the list with a lousy mechanic (apart from on Stalkers).  You can build around the issues KM has by using procs, but then again every other melee set can use procs as well.

I mainly Tank but steered clear of Titan on Live due to it feeling Gary Stu and unlike a Tanker “should feel like”.  It was too strong either solo or teamed; it didn’t fit the basic description of the archetype: high defenses, slow offense.

I do like the changes Beta has made here, and might run a Titan once these changes are ironed out.  The set feels good without being facerolly to me.

18 hours ago, Galaxy Brain said:

the benchmarks for TW are where they should be where it is still a top-performer with it's own playstyle and niche (Mainly safety)

5 hours ago, Replacement said:

Current live TW is top-tier ST, top-tier aoe, top-tier safety.  It's not going to come out of this test cycle still being the nearly-best at everything

The weird thing to me about this nerf is that someone looked at the Biggest Freakin' Sword In The Game set and decided its niche should be 'safety' and not 'damage'

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Keleko said:

It's fine if you want to add that recharge and endurance reduction as a benefit to having Momentum.  But, it should not change the damage calculation as it is fully inconsistent with the rest of the game effects that also apply similar reductions.  Damage calculation is not a sliding scale based on changing recharge and endurance costs.  It never has been.  It never should be.

You are 100% right here when it comes to buffs and enhancements.

However, the way TW works is that you actually switch to different powers entirely when momentum is active. The set has the standard, slow version of each power and then when you activate momentum you swap to the "Fast" version, which not only has different animation time but now has different BASE recharge/end cost and damage.

Straight copy of my TW/bio scrapper, whacking on a Pylon without even trying to understand the changes or adapt:

#1 = 87s
#2 = 90s

#3 = 87s

Feels OK to me. This is still a character that comes with great AoE, knockdowns, native -7.5% res, 2 places to slot -res procs, and great burst potential.

I will keep playing her, but now I won't feel *compelled* to bring her out when the goal is maximum performance.

The animation changes feel kind of weird, though.

If I open Momentum with Rend Armor, I can do Follow Through -> Arc of Destruction -> Crushing Blow -> Follow Through, as on Live.

If I initiate with Crushing Blow, I can do Follow Through -> AoD -> RA -> ... and then Momentum breaks off right before I can chain the second FT.

On Live, initiating with Crushing Blow lets you do FT -> AoD -> RA -> FT.

FT going from 1s to 1.1s and AoD from 1.5s to 1.37s should even out about the same in this scenario. At least intuitively? But it doesn't.

I guess all the old chains need to be reworked anyway.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Galaxy Brain said:

You are 100% right here when it comes to buffs and enhancements.

However, the way TW works is that you actually switch to different powers entirely when momentum is active. The set has the standard, slow version of each power and then when you activate momentum you swap to the "Fast" version, which not only has different animation time but now has different BASE recharge/end cost and damage.

I thought that might be the reason.  However, the technical aspects of how the power is implemented are completely irrelevant to the argument.  A player's perspective is that it is the same power.  How it is implemented does not mean it should break the rules every other power follows.  As a player I don't care at all how a power works technically.  I push a button, and that power goes off with the defined effect.  It shouldn't get worse because of some technical hackery I can't see to make the power work.

Don't punish the player for using the powers.  Make an exception for this case.  TW is already an exception in that it has two different powers for each slow/fast attack.  It was already there before this change.  It didn't have to be normalized to the formula.  Undo this portion so the powers are consistent with every other power in the game and not weaker because I use them.

This is also counter-intuitive to actual physics (yeah, it's super hero game - physics?).  The initial strike is slower and by physics should do less and the Momentum versions should do more because they're faster.  A faster heavy weapon hits harder because physics.  I'm not advocating for this, but it speaks to the formula for damage being completely detached from actual physics of how the weapon should work.

It also seems to run counter to every other combo power system in the game.  Combos give bonus damage/effects.  Savage melee gets bonus damage, endurance reduction, and recharge reduction with blood frenzy stacks.  TW should get a bonus without being penalized for it.

Also, how does this work for the two attacks that can only be used when Momentum is active?  Are they always weaker damage and faster recharge since they have no slow version?  Is this reflected in the descriptions of the powers?  Or did they not change beyond removing the bonus damage?  If they were made weaker, then why do they still require Momentum to activate?  They're restricted already in that you can't just open with them, so they should provide greater damage/benefit because you can't use them outside of Momentum.

I see two solution options:

1. Ignore that it is implemented as a separate power behind the scenes.  No other attacks in the game work this way.  I never see this separate power in the build tools of the game.  I can't change how this other power works with enhancements separate from the slow version.  If the fast power is indeed separate then I should also be able to enhance it differently than the slow version.  I may want different effects in the faster version.  I don't expect that's going to be possible, and I don't really want to do that.  Just make the damage the same no matter if it is slow or fast version.  It should be consistent like every other attack in the game. 
  2. If the damage calculation MUST stay then I propose a further change to Momentum.  Momentum should never drop as long as I continue attacking with TW powers.  That has never made sense to me.  Once the weapon is in motion it should remain in motion until I stop it to do something else.  So I propose that each TW attack resets the Momentum countdown timer for when it wears off.  Perhaps make it long enough that I can apply one other non-TW power between attacks to say heal, or taunt, or hasten refresh, etc.  The 25% endurance/recharge are not enough when Momentum is going to drop soon after I start.  Currently I can rarely (and almost never without perma-Hasten) get a second attack with a power I just used before Momentum drops, and I have to start over.  The bonus recharge reduction is lost because a second use is difficult to benefit from.  At least this way I can make up the lower damage with faster attacks consistently until I stop attacking.
Edited by Keleko
  • Like 5

21 hours ago, Tsuko said:

Pylon runs with my favorite Page 5 build in beta server / patch 1 : Pylons kill from 1m08 to 1m20

TW / bio scrapper / T4 assaut (not click) / T4 muscu, ageless, degen.

1) 1m25 : feeling is diferent

2) 1m19 : i notice some real long momentum 

3) 1m12 : i still dont know what is diferent but the rotation feels much more fluid but damage seems less powerfull than before.

Conclusion : why should i bother with TW now when WM is much more easier to build / play and Rad provide top debuff AND a heal with same damage.

Note 1 : it s a page 5 build so maybe with a new build...

Note 2 : endurance consum is very nice : on live my build can detoggle with sprint and superspeed for long fights (more than 1m30), on beta, i can keep both and ageless is enough to keep stam at 100%

I don't know if people are reading through these entire threads, or even testing, but this is pretty telling. 

72 seconds to tear down a single-target pylon? And what, exactly is that DPS? And considering the options available as AOE as well? If 72 seconds to tear down a pylon with an un-updated build is unacceptable to some people, I wonder if anything will ever be acceptable to them?

Tsuko, some great testing there, I really like the notes you tossed in there regarding end consumption. Probably would make it more feasible to have a dark armor build, and not gasp for breath every level from 1 to 50!

• Like 5

@Keleko, on mobile so I cannot quote the whole thing, but I do want to note that there are plenty of powers which use what are called "redirects" in order to use Power B when you click Power A. Titan Weapons has always used this method in order to select the Fast versions of each power since day 1, just now they have additional stat changes besides animation time.

While the damage going down is a nerf, the faster recharge, and BONUS end reduction on top of what the formulas would dictate I would argue is a straight buff, and on the whole the set still performs in the top tier of melee primaries. The damage formulas are pretty much just that, a formula that ties in recharge with damage that guides faster powers to hot more often for less, and vice versa. TW originally broke this formula by actually doing MORE damage than its supposed to, and now its simply following it like 99% of all other powers. (There are some odd exceptions but they are one-offs)

What I feel is being ignored here is the huge DPA and DPE (per endurance) that TW now has. In the same timeframe, TW likely deals more damage for less endurance than other similar sets due to being able to swing big attacks around back to back with 1s animations. Thats where the damage comes into play, which while video-gamey given youd expect the faster hits to deal more per swing, its more about the total momentum.

Could it use a bit more... something? Possibly, though from what I can tell it is still in a great spot so it'll be tricky.

Edited by Galaxy Brain
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Shadowflare said:

This is called "balance", and if some of the numbers I've seen are right TW "played at high level" was head and shoulders above almost anything else with strong AOE and ST damage with almost no downside besides "Build right" and "Learn to play". If you really want to practice your rotation down to a fine ballerina dance so you can "stand out" try FF14 or something and get into competitive parsing. COH has never been the game for that. TBH the original iteration I think was the start of paid, premium powercreep by NCsoft, something we've seen with the "premium" powersets typically outperforming "base" ones by large margins.

I don't know.  I'd say Dual Pistols wasn't pulling any power creep for the set.

However, the numbers have me thinking a few things with the test down by Galaxy Brain.  I do feel some sets should be ST King versus AOE kings and then those in the middle.  However, should TW be that far ahead of Fire Melee, which maybe should be pretty solid in both areas, while not top, seeing as how TW has the nice KD going for it.  🙂

• Like 1

@Keleko 1. Are you advocating for keeping everything but the damage cut?  Less end, less recharge, but keep damage?  You understand why that won't fly, right?  That would be even stronger than Live TW, which (checks watch) is not what we're trying to achieve today.

2. - keeping momentum as long as you keep swinging -- this also results in significantly better performance than Live.  More importantly, it also undermines the entire schtick of the set.  The current changes make the momentum cadence less cludgy, but they still maintain the spirit and expectations of TW's gameplay loop.

8 minutes ago, BrandX said:

I don't know.  I'd say Dual Pistols wasn't pulling any power creep for the set.

Dual Pistols was released with Going Rogue, which would be far before what Shadowflare referred to as the start of premium p2w content.

Edited by Replacement
clipped out the part that I wasn't responding to -- sorry about that BrandX!

20 minutes ago, Replacement said:

@Keleko 1. Are you advocating for keeping everything but the damage cut?  Less end, less recharge, but keep damage?  You understand why that won't fly, right?  That would be even stronger than Live TW, which (checks watch) is not what we're trying to achieve today.

2. - keeping momentum as long as you keep swinging -- this also results in significantly better performance than Live.  More importantly, it also undermines the entire schtick of the set.  The current changes make the momentum cadence less cludgy, but they still maintain the spirit and expectations of TW's gameplay loop.

1) No, not really.  I didn't pick the faster recharge and less END to be there.  I just don't understand how getting over the initial Momentum cost results in the damage becoming less after that.  That's exactly counter to how combos work with other powers in the game, and they can ALSO get faster recharge, less END cost and GAIN damage as well (see Savage Melee).

2) Does it?  With the new lower damage scale?

I guess I don't understand now why Momentum even exists.  It's still a penalty to pay upfront, but now the payoff is... less damage than before the cost is paid.

I have one TW character - fire/TW tank.  I built it without hasten.  Before these changes I could go through all my TW attacks before Momentum drops.  Post change I go through all my attacks and then Momentum wears off.  I don't get any benefit from the extra recharge because I have to start over with the Momentum tax.  Lower END I do benefit from of course.  So the end result that matters is lower END and extra lowered damage.  I'm okay with the damage bonus removed since it was obviously overpowered.  It just seems the extra damage nerf is a bit too far the other way.

• Like 1

@Keleko Cool, that's a good start.  Remember that part of your damage loss is the 10% that was added to the top of TW, that it already didn't need due to how it's played (CoH, with its recharge-based attacks, will always skew heavily towards the bursty sets... especially when Global Recharge comes in as something people can amass to burst more).

The other thing the Recharge reduction does is allow moderate-to-high amounts of recharge (slotted and global) to smooth out attack chains.  The performance bottomline isn't much (in fact it's an attack on Time to Kill for an entire group - which TW needed), but it does a lot of alleviating.  An example would be Rend Armor -- it's pretty hard to get RA to a point where it's available in every Momentum window.  the recharge reduction will ease that burden.

1 hour ago, Hew said:

72 seconds to tear down a single-target pylon? And what, exactly is that DPS? And considering the options available as AOE as well? If 72 seconds to tear down a pylon with an un-updated build is unacceptable to some people, I wonder if anything will ever be acceptable to them?

72 sec is around 670 dps.

This was the best pylon kill and without Assaut T4. My build is far from being a 100% "pylon" build, completly strip from survival and aoe tools. It s a totally playable DPS build able to go sub minute with a bit of luck (or CD, amplifier, frenzy and so on).

TW still have an awesome soft control on top of good damage.

But then come the competition : a WM dont have less soft CC and is free in his attack chain. Rad Mélée have monster debuff and aoe on top of a potent spammy heal. Titan Weapon OP damage was kinda his signature : dev have a hard job here : if they lower damage, they will need to give TW a new signature, a new feeling.

Tbh, i talk about WM and Rad cause i have 7 scrappers full geared and rdy from Rad / Bio to Wm / Rad and Dark / shield 😄 The truth is i have already replaced TW and i know i m not the only one.

Just one of the most "noisy".

Maybe cause i have not yet completly lose faith in our community and willing to give a kinda rare point of view.

1 hour ago, Hew said:

Tsuko, some great testing there, I really like the notes you tossed in there regarding end consumption. Probably would make it more feasible to have a dark armor build, and not gasp for breath every level from 1 to 50!

It's a question i cannot answer, normal leveling is not my taste nor speciality. Examplar TF means full amplifier and full buff on a lvl 50 optimal build for me, and i only go to help friends.

And i try to never answer things i have not test myself.

But yeah, New TW will open the spec to casual players, for sure.

The 25% on both recharge and endurance will open more possibilities of AT.

Just another French Player

So Excuse my old, bad and too french English !

Join THE COSMIC COUNCIL !!!

https://discord.gg/DVksJ4N