Focused Feedback: Trick Arrow Revamp

Jimmy

4 minutes ago, PorkTips said:

What? I hate location based powers as it is, I like glue arrow being targeted. I dont need yet another power I have to make a target_location macro for!

If it were a one time debuff, sure i would fully agree. However, since the main part of this power is to create a debuff patch on the ground, it does not fit the power properly. A simple macro/bind can be done to use it in the exact same way you do now, there is however no way currently to use it as a location-before-engaging-in-battle power.

1 hour ago, WindDemon21 said:

If it were a one time debuff, sure i would fully agree. However, since the main part of this power is to create a debuff patch on the ground, it does not fit the power properly. A simple macro/bind can be done to use it in the exact same way you do now, there is however no way currently to use it as a location-before-engaging-in-battle power.

I dont think an arrow should place a fountain of glue that showers from a specific spot. 🙂 It should hit something and explode. If they made it able to hit the environment by making it just target in front of you somehow (like the Nature healing cone) then maybe it would make sense.

Anyway, I guess whatever happens, happens. Cheers! 🙂

9 minutes ago, PorkTips said:

I dont think an arrow should place a fountain of glue that showers from a specific spot. 🙂 It should hit something and explode. If they made it able to hit the environment by making it just target in front of you somehow (like the Nature healing cone) then maybe it would make sense.

Anyway, I guess whatever happens, happens. Cheers! 🙂

Like hit the ground and explode? .......... It's a PATCH of glue, not a "fountain" It thematically should work exactly like OSA, but with glue inside the arrow instead of oil.

(and you can STILL just bind location to a target, so you can still use it in the exact same way if it were location based)

With all of this resistance debuffing, and buffing the ability to debuff, I have a question: Will this make it redundant, better, or no change to have multiple Trick Arrow players on a team? It seems that acid arrow now makes everyone else powers better at doing their job, which is great I guess.

I will be the one who also says that single target immobs and holds are great on tanker and brute less teams, because AVs tend to run without that taunt.

Still, buffing the debuff sounds interesting yet confusing (Instead of the power doing something you see, it does things you may not notice, but others may, though they know not why) and I guess makes trick arrow even more thankless of a job. IOW, everyone else thing is even more awesome, yet no one knows why that is happening, leading to no one noticing it is all because of the Arrow Puller, which is as it always has been....Kinda like being in IT!! Internet works, no one cares why. No one will notice your greatness until you leave the team, which is inverse how Kinetics players are treated. Thanks Dev's! 🙂

Edited by arkieboy72472
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, arkieboy72472 said:

With all of this resistance debuffing, and buffing the ability to debuff, I have a question: Will this make it redundant, better, or no change to have multiple Trick Arrow players on a team? It seems that acid arrow now makes everyone else powers better at doing their job, which is great I guess.

Start a TA team on the test server and find out.

5 minutes ago, arkieboy72472 said:

Still, buffing the debuff sounds interesting yet confusing (Instead of the power doing something you see, it does things you may not notice, but others may, though they know not why) and I guess makes trick arrow even more thankless of a job. IOW, everyone else thing is even more awesome, yet no one knows why that is happening, leading to no one noticing it is all because of the Arrow Puller, which is as it always has been....Kinda like being in IT!! Internet works, no one cares why. No one will notice your greatness until you leave the team, which is inverse how Kinetics players are treated.

I think TA's contributions will be more evident than they were in the past.  I can't address the likelihood of TA overshadowing any other support set, but the strengths of the debuffs alone will make for a notable play experience.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

50 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Start a TA team on the test server and find out.

I think TA's contributions will be more evident than they were in the past.  I can't address the likelihood of TA overshadowing any other support set, but the strengths of the debuffs alone will make for a notable play experience.

Luminara, I appreciate your opinion here--and have on the original forums. Any set that is buffed should be noticeably be more effective (as you say, paraphrased) than the past iteration should be.  That is even more highlighted by the fact that this set revamp is a highlight for the issue.

I personally view these changes are to make Trick Arrow  (TA) a competitive choice as a support set. Comprising entirely of offensive/debuff, it should be strong in either one or the other. It is an entire powerset with no buffs or heals (originally). As an almost exclusive support player, I can assure you the changes do not overshadow other sets (as you say you can not opine). 

I personally do not think the changes go far enough. You won't see an  Illusion/TA instead of an Illusion/Radiation , Nature/XXX, or anything so far for instance. The changes are not enough to worry you. 🙂

Editted for "grammar"--I'm a dingus

Edited by brass_eagle
  • Like 2

One thing we brought up several times is the question of how these changes can affect leveling a mastermind specifically, because of the set's past issues of weaker mitigation.  Just something to keep in mind for those trying it now in open beta

image.png.440bd3ba66421192ca1fb954c5d313c2.pngspacer.pngFlint Eastwood

4 minutes ago, brass_eagle said:

I personally think  @arkieboy72472 concerns are valid and should not be dismissed so brazenly.

I wasn't dismissing them.  I was suggesting that he investigate the changes personally and draw a conclusion from direct evidence.  Test.  Poke.  Prod.  Tear it apart and find out what works and what doesn't.  Ask questions, then go to the test server and find out the answers.

I did offer my opinion on what the final impact would be - an notable improvement, but not dismissively, and if that was how it came across, I apologize.

Lastly, I can guarantee that you'll see an Ill/TA.  Mine, if no-one else's.  She's parked and waiting for the changes to be finalized so I can redesign the build, along with all of my other TA characters (TA/Dark defender, Beasts/TA mastermind, Plant/TA controller, Fire/TA corruptor, Grav/TA controller, Elec/TA controller and TA/Water defender).  As you might surmise, I'm not approaching this from the perspective of a casual observer.

26 minutes ago, brass_eagle said:

Comprising entirely of offensive/debuff, it should be strong in either one or the other.

70% -Damage, 25% of that can't be resisted.  18.75% -ToHit, half of which can't be resisted.  Those two alone are massive improvements over their original values and do exactly what the set needed to provide sufficient mitigation as a defensive support set, at every level.  40% -Special, 60% -Res and half of EMP Arrow's -Regen lasting 45 seconds instead of 15 seconds adds significantly to TA's combat versatility and bring TA up to par for end-game content.

It's strong now.  But don't listen to me, go test it.  Find holes.  Look for problems.  Debating the numbers on the forums won't lead to anything, testing is necessary.  So go to the test server and see what it can do.  Then post, so @Captain Powerhouse can fix what's not working or tweak what needs to be tweaked, before it goes to the live servers and sits for another 15 years unattended.

I say that not dismissively, but objectively.

I'm still on the side of being able to light Oil slick arrow within the powerset.  I just don't see the balance issue where some characters can easily light it with their other powerset while others have to use origin powers.  This may be an unpopular opinion but I propose that glue arrow be made more similar to the blaster version where it has a minor DOT which can then be used to light OSA.  

I do like all the other changes so far though.  I do wish that EMP affected self as well as teammates though.

Edited by noogens2

8 minutes ago, Luminara said:

I wasn't dismissing them.  I was suggesting that he investigate the changes personally and draw a conclusion from direct evidence.  Test.  Poke.  Prod.  Tear it apart and find out what works and what doesn't.  Ask questions, then go to the test server and find out the answers.

I did offer my opinion on what the final impact would be - an notable improvement, but not dismissively, and if that was how it came across, I apologize.

Lastly, I can guarantee that you'll see an Ill/TA.  Mine, if no-one else's.  She's parked and waiting for the changes to be finalized so I can redesign the build, along with all of my other TA characters (TA/Dark defender, Beasts/TA mastermind, Plant/TA controller, Fire/TA corruptor, Grav/TA controller, Elec/TA controller and TA/Water defender).  As you might surmise, I'm not approaching this from the perspective of a casual observer.

70% -Damage, 25% of that can't be resisted.  18.75% -ToHit, half of which can't be resisted.  Those two alone are massive improvements over their original values and do exactly what the set needed to provide sufficient mitigation as a defensive support set, at every level.  40% -Special, 60% -Res and half of EMP Arrow's -Regen lasting 45 seconds instead of 15 seconds adds significantly to TA's combat versatility and bring TA up to par for end-game content.

It's strong now.  But don't listen to me, go test it.  Find holes.  Look for problems.  Debating the numbers on the forums won't lead to anything, testing is necessary.  So go to the test server and see what it can do.  Then post, so @Captain Powerhouse can fix what's not working or tweak what needs to be tweaked, before it goes to the live servers and sits for another 15 years unattended.

I say that not dismissively, but objectively.

Again, I appreciate that. I have been testing it as long as us "open beta-ers" have been allowed  to actually. You say "test it".  I have in my limited time, and this forum is for everyone. Please let us plebs provide feedback :). Trust that your fellow community members are. I know internet breeds negativity, but let's let others have a voice without such strong opposition when providing feedback in a public forum! 

To your other points--- great? This is still the ONLY set without a self buffing (affecting), or healing ability.  I disagree on "strong". We know that in general, things that affect enemies dimish as their level goes up. 

In my first post, I asked twice if "unresistable" is affected by level. That is a major concern. I do not know.

This set can't match (besides damage- and a marginal amount of res-)  what Rad does.  But in my opinion, it still doesn't match middling sets. I want to get all the attention on it while we are in testing :D. 

I'd actually love to hear from other support players though, rather than get into a disagreement of opinions and dominate the forum. I've made my position clear: the changes don't go far enough. 😄 

Also... I'll take your Ill/TA and raise my Nature/Dark xD; 1v1 meh brah

13 minutes ago, noogens2 said:

I'm still on the side of being able to light Oil slick arrow within the powerset.  I just don't see the balance issue where some characters can easily light it with their other powerset while others have to use origin powers.  This may be an unpopular opinion but I propose that glue arrow be made more similar to the blaster version where it has a minor DOT which can then be used to light OSA.  

I do like all the other changes so far though.  I do wish that EMP affected self as well as teammates though.

Hear me out...

Instead, emp arrow creates a large faraday cage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

trick arrows - controller - disruption arrow

-max end seems irrelevent AND bugged : 
à 50 cimeroran lieut has 140 end. applying Arrow he now has 140 of 145, quickly rising at 145. Back at 140 after effect 
ends🤭

Edited by cazaril

6 hours ago, brass_eagle said:

In my first post, I asked twice if "unresistable" is affected by level.

Yes.  The unresisted flag doesn't bypass the Purple Patch, only other forms of resistance.

6 hours ago, brass_eagle said:

This set can't match (besides damage- and a marginal amount of res-)  what Rad does.

Target - level 54 Arch-villain

Radiation Infection: 4x Dark Watcher's Despair (57.52%), 49.22% -ToHit

(49.22 * 0.48 (Purple Patch)) * 0.13 (AV Resistance) = 3.07% -ToHit applied

Flash Arrow: 4x Dark Watcher's Despair (57.52%), 29.54% -ToHit

(29.54 * 0.48 (Purple Patch)) = 14.18

14.18 / 2 = 7.09

7.09 * 0.13 = 0.92

0.92 + 7.09 = 8.01% -ToHit applied

Flash Arrow's debuff isn't taking a back seat here.  Even if a Rad defender has an opportunity to use Fallout, and has that enhanced to the same 57.52% (70.13% diminished by ED), Flash Arrow still leads.

The same is going to occur with -Damage.  The unresisted flag has TA leading Rad in -Dam in AV fights.  And Slows/-Recharge, because TA has more, plus Acid.  The -Regen issue is slightly more complicated, but someone else did the math on the closed beta forum and TA, even with a ~40 second down time on EMP Arrow, still came out as only slightly lower than Rad.  Over the duration of a long fight, TA's effective -Regen is less than 10% lower than Rad's.  When coupled with TA's new higher -Res total, the difference should be negligible.

Outside of AV combat, yes, TA is going to have lower -ToHit than Rad.  Rad also has a continuing toggle cost to maintain Radiation Infection, Radiation Infection can move with a target (meaning, the toggle target can run out of the area where combat is occurring, leaving 0% -ToHit on the rest of the spawn.  it can also run into another spawn, unintentionally pulling multiple other critters to the Rad defender, none of whom are debuffed), and it can toggle off when the corpse despawns or the toggle target moves beyond the leash range (the distance at which the toggle shuts down).  This is a balance trade-off.  TA has a a lower value, but no on-going toggle cost, no chance of the debuff wandering out of leash range and shutting down, no potential for additional aggro.  And, realistically, 14.18% is not a negligible amount.  It's not as much as Rad could apply to +4 critters, but it doesn't have to be in order to be effective when used in concert with the other debuffs in TA's quiver.  There's more to the game than +Def/-ToHit.

TA's not supposed to match Rad, or Storm, or any other set, it's supposed to do its own thing while still being effective.  It's not "as good" as Rad in some ways, but Rad isn't "as good" as TA in other ways.  That's exactly where the set should be.  It's competitive.  It's different from every other set, but it's not numerically inferior to everything else in every other set with these changes.  It does some things better than other sets, and it doesn't do some things as well as other sets do, and it does some things differently, but comparably.

7 hours ago, brass_eagle said:

But in my opinion, it still doesn't match middling sets. I want to get all the attention on it while we are in testing :D. 

I'd actually love to hear from other support players though, rather than get into a disagreement of opinions and dominate the forum. I've made my position clear: the changes don't go far enough.

Numerically, TA is actually right where you say it isn't, at the middle.  It doesn't debuff some things as well as Storm or Rad, but it also isn't sitting at the bottom of the barrel on anything, in comparison to any set, and it debuffs some things better than any other set.  Where comparisons can be made, apples to apples, it's middle of the road with the current changes, and in no case is it too low to be viable in anything.

But all of what I've said is presuming defender values.  TA needs to be tested on masterminds to ensure that it's truly where it needs to be.  If it passes there, it's solid.  If not, then I'll wholeheartedly agree with your assessment and start shouting at CP.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, noogens2 said:

The base flash arrow debuff for every AT shows to be lower than intended.

Defender patch notes - 15%

Actual in game
Defender 9.38%

Corrupter 7.5%
Controller 7.5%
Mastermind 5.63 %

Those numbers should be listed twice in the power info window.  One is the unresisted value, the other is the resistible value.

screenshot_201007-07-57-31.thumb.jpg.78c0abcf440c1f8bab261c3309751936.jpg

2 hours ago, cazaril said:

trick arrows - controller - disruption arrow

-max end seems irrelevent AND bugged : 
à 50 cimeroran lieut has 140 end. applying Arrow he now has 140 of 145, quickly rising at 145. Back at 140 after effect 
ends🤭

Yes this has been reported a few times - hope to see a fix soon

image.png.440bd3ba66421192ca1fb954c5d313c2.pngspacer.pngFlint Eastwood

On 10/24/2020 at 1:38 PM, Jimmy said:

This is a Focused Feedback Thread

• Please note that Focused Feedback threads are heavily moderated to ensure they remain on topic.
    • Any off-topic posts in these threads will be removed without warning.
    • The thread will be locked when no more feedback is required, but you are more than welcome to continue the discussion in a new thread.
  • The most up-to-date version of the changes will be listed in the first post.
  • The changes in each build will be posted as replies.
    • Changes from the previous build will be listed in green.
    • Any changes or fixes that are only relevant to the beta builds (as in, not changes relevant to the live version of the game) will be listed in blue.

Powerset Revamp: Trick Arrow

Trick Arrow has suffered with performance issues for a long time, primarily due to the strength of the debuffs against higher level enemies, but also due to redundancy between powers in the set. We've made a comprehensive suite of improvements, impacting almost every power in the set.

Power Changes (Numbers provided are Defender values)

• TrickArrow_Immobilize.png.e59211e1622b40a4856847c2cd4eb478.png Entangling Arrow
    • Immobilize duration reduced from scale 15 to scale 7
    • No longer has a -Recharge debuff
    • Now applies a 30s -Res debuff
  • TrickArrow_Blind.png.cad97249f539b19437876e6155eafb09.png Flash Arrow
    • Can now be slotted with Range enhancements
    • -ToHit increased from -6.25% to -15%
      • Half this debuff is now irresistible
  • TrickArrow_Hold.png.cb279a1bfaca050187c01db7be51af9a.png Ice Arrow
    • Increased the -Recharge debuff from -12.% to 25%
    • Now applies a 60s -Special and -Damage debuff
  • TrickArrow_DebuffDamage.png.fd7715d340a8c55152ba9d6c4a49f5b9.png Poison Gas Arrow
    • -Damage debuff now lasts 60 seconds
    • -Damage debuff increased from -31.25% to -50%
      • Half this debuff is now irresistible
  • TrickArrow_DebuffDefense.png Acid Arrow
    • Debuff radius increased from 8ft to 15ft (damage still has an 8ft radius)
    • -Res debuff moved to Disruption Arrow
    • Now applies a -heal resistance debuff (heals on the target will be less effective)
      • Halved in PvP
    • Now applies a -special resistance debuff (Endurance, ToHit, Regen, Recovery, Recharge Time, and Endurance Discount debuffs against the target will be stronger)
    • Debuff duration increased from 20s to 45s
      • 20s in PvP
    • This power has a new icon
  • TrickArrow_DebuffDamRes.png.45b6b29aad7c5b6f8cfe72093b9fb205.png Disruption Arrow
    • Target cap increased from 10 to 16
    • Now applies a -MaxEnd debuff and takes Endurance Modification enhancements and sets
    • -Res debuff doubled (moved from Acid Arrow)
    • Only one Disruption Arrow can be maintained at once
    • Recharge decreased from 60s to 30s
    • Duration increased from 30s to 45s
  • TrickArrow_Knockdown.png.690ada140f7c68e5771aaa1923c0f2ce.png Oil Slick Arrow
  • TrickArrow_Stun.png.0865dc133adc883617d725c771441f58.png EMP Arrow
    • No longer applies -recovery to the caster
    • Half of the -regen debuff now lasts 45 seconds (previously the entire -regen debuff dropped off after 15 seconds, now only half of it does)
    • Hold duration for non-robots reduced by roughly 50%
    • This power now adds an ally buff to any ally or pet within the radius of the power (the caster is not affected)
      • 15% damage resistance to all but Toxic (not enhanceable)
      • Resistance against End Drain and Recovery Debuffs
      • Protection against status effects and knock back

It's great to see an unfashionable set like TA get a thorough overhaul.

I'm playing a TA/Arrows Defender at the moment with my DUO partner.  So I'm becoming intimately aware of what's good about TA!

Battle field debuff?  It's fantastic.  Layers and layers of debuff layed down produce a heady brew of debuff that sees the mobs struggle.

So let's have a look at the changes.

1. Entangle.  Miss.

This is a sound power.  Really?  Yes.  It can hold AVs and for a good little while.  Spam this and you have an AV holder.  And the - recharge makes sense.  Removing the - recharge doesn't make sense?  Why?  If you're wrapped up in cargo net you've going to take time to get out of that.  Ergo - recharge to get out of that.  Or it will slow you down, rather.  I'd keep the potency of the immob' with the addition of -res added to it.  Make it a power everyone ones to take.  It's the most used power during 46 levels!  (We didn't take the Ice Hold Arrow for thematic reasons.)  I'd say this still needs work.

2. Flash Arrow.  HIT!

You know that Night Widdow power that blinds you?  Flash dishes the debuff and takes out an entire mob!  Powerful stuff!  It's a stealth.  It's a combat inhibitor.  Half of this is now irrestistable!  INcreased to -15 to hit!  'Nuff said.  This is a signature power.  It opens every battle!  It will now sing!

3. Ice Arrow.  HIT!

We didn't take this for theme reasons.  But making the - slow -25 makes far more sense.  With a - dam special.  If you keep the - recharge with ENTANGLE the - recharge would stack!  (Bring back the - rech' to entangle!!!)  A 60 sec' special.  Can we afford to NOT take this now? 😮

4. Gas.  HIT!

This 'killer' dark horse power is being bumped to - 50 dam?  :OOO  I fire this into a mob and it's amazing how many attacks I take and I'm still standing!!  Nemesis.  Arachnos.  Carnie.  Malta.  Gone toe to toe with them all!  A squishie like me!?  This is an essential power that just got even better.  WoW.  What a change!  It's a hit!

5. Acid Arrow.  MISS!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

This is a great one - two killer punch.  You hammer their - def' (what a beating!) and it has - res' as well?

Bring the res' back?  Why?  Because without it...this power probably won't be taken.  It's mighty powerful as is.

So.  Did HC add good bits to this in beta?  They did.  - debuff special.  Adds a pot poury of - debuffs.  Those are a good laundry list.  And?

Why not change their -res to heal to give you a heal over time?  (A bit like the water cork screw from...Water?)  Ie.  Not only does it -debuff their health regen?  But?  It buys you time to heal yourself.  Ergo.  Heal over time.)

Debuff duration and radius are big pluses.  

However, for all the good bits.  Losing the -res doesn't make sense to me.  Here you go, pal.  You've had acid thrown all over you.  You aint going to resist that and whilst you attempt to?  You'll be defenceless.  Ergo?  - def.  - res.  PLEASE, for the LOVE of GOD bring BACK the -res.

6. Disruption Arrow.  Abstain.

'We' didn't take this power. 

Why?  The pulsing wave gives me a migraine/discomfort.  I don't know why.  Remember all those sonic players that complained about the Sonic Pulse Waves?  For some reason that particular form of sonic was drawing complaints.  Solution?  Alt animations.  See the Sonic Defender's set for alt 'pulse' waves that are 'LESS' nauseating.  If any ever POWER needs an alt animation/power look?  It's sonic arrow.  

I've even stopped doing Long Bow missions because of it.  😕  And I used to enjoy them.  But it's got to the point, I can't do them.  Shame.

Now.  The chances.  The lower recharge.  The increased mob radius.  All good things.  The - res is about where it SHOULD have been at launch.  (Apparently the devs were worried about it being too powerful in combination with another arrow?)  End debuff is good.  Duration.  Also good.

What I don't like?  Ties in with my criticisms about Acid.  Moving the - res from Acid to put it here.  I'd rather use Acid and Dis' Arrow together.  As you can use both to increase the scope of mob arrgo' you want to handle by placing them in different spots.  I'm glad Dis' Arrow has been improved.  But not at the expense of Acid.  I'd like the -res back in Acid.  Very please.

7. Oil.  HIT.

It's fine as is.  Range being slotted is a good tweak for strategy reasons.

8. EMP Arrow.  HIT!

I thought this was a real turkey choice of a power.  - end for 15 seconds basically means a Defender, suffering from end issues already, can't fight having deployed it.

Removing the -end/recovery makes a massive different.

The overly long recharge was also quite punishing to really make the whole TA set sing.

Half the - regen lasting longer?  A GOOD thing.

The halving of the hold duration I can live with sans robots.  Can always slot back for holds?

And the damage res and recovery debuff protection and end drain protection and status protection?

Excellent and imagination choices by the HC team.

Overall.

This is a kick Az update to the 'dated' and 'unfashionable' TA set.  I'm really enjoying it.  It's an excellent set.

But ?  It could stand some tweaking.  And HC have tweaked the hell out of it!!! :OOO

My only reservations are as follows.  Keen the - rech' in Entangle.  Keep the Acid - res.  AND?  For the love of GOD?  Change the Disruption Arrow animation to something that isn't head ache inducing!

And then?  This update would be perfect.  it's close.  Oh...so CLOSE!!!

It's littered with the HC team's good judgement.

Regards,

Azrael.

Edited by Golden Azrael

13 hours ago, noogens2 said:

I do wish that EMP affected self as well as teammates though.

Same.  I've been hoping to see us move away from self-excluding buff sets instead of adding more (Elec affinity being able to chain back to self for a lesser effect is the ideal, IMO).

But for EMP Arrow specifically, it gets even weirder... I wouldn't want to see folks incentivized to shoot their own feet.  I don't really know how to fix that, though.