Focused Feedback: Teleportation Pool Revamp

Jimmy

So, played a bit with new teleport pool just messing around on stone/dark tank, I'd say combat teleport is pretty nice for when you run like a snail, but as someone else suggested, maybe more charges as a synergy bonus would be nice, but not 100% required.

I'd also say that the to-hit isn't all that useful, except possibly spamming it to counter-act a to-hit debuff for a moment. I'd rather see the to-hit value lowered a bit, and it also given a small amount of defense. I'm thinking low enough that double-stacked it's less than CJ and hover, but triple stacked it's more. This way people aren't loosing a LotG spot by choosing a different pool, which might shift people away who might've otherwise taken it, but it won't be helping people softcap quite as well.

I also think adding a small bit of a to-hit debuff (really small, like 1-5%) to fold space would be nice for a small boost to surviveability when pulling the alpha onto yourself as well as letting us slot accurate to-hit debuff sets for accuracy/recharge and accuracy/endurance/recharge.

Might change my thoughts or have more to add after some more serious play with the powers.

• Like 1

Just a note, some of us Teleporters use Wormhole to throw bad guys as far up in the air as we can, so they faw down go boom.

It's tricky to land them where you want them, but sometimes you luck out and get "descent" damage.

A point of distinction between Wormhole and Fold Space which I haven't seen mentioned.

• Like 2

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

What if after using CT instead of gaining ACC, your next use of teleport has no animation/no hover affect/no stealth to it (instant tp with +5% RES). It will give people the option to TP into battle from afar and keep up with a fast pace group if TP is your only travel. Give this effect a 10/15 second cool down after using it or something. And for the people that are hating on the cool down they have to invest into the power pool to fully become a teleporter to bounce back from the cool down. I think this will help slow tankers/melee to toons keep up with the range dps'ers in battle since the current end game is so gosh darn fast. Gives people the incentive to pick more powers in the power pool. And I think it adds a little bit of fun to using teleport. Everyone likes a good combo move. Just a thought 

Edited by Hops

Kill Most ITFs! Defender Tank! dahkness11 - Twitch

GUYS.  GUYS.  YOU CAN FOLLOW TSOO SORCERERS.

I was fighting a Tsoo Sorcerer who, annoyingly, teleported away through a wall, as they do.  I had him targeted and I had a bind to combat teleport to targets and I suddenly remembered a comment about powexeclocation no longer needing line of sight, so I tapped 0 and appeared right next to the little jerk and killed him.  This is amazing.  It's better than sex.  I take back all of the bad things I said about combat teleport.

(I mean, I don't, really.  Teleporting enemies are pretty rare.  But this is a pretty amazing QOL benefit for dealing with an annoying situation in game, and feels cool and thematic and awesome.)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Sif said:

Is that for every possible destination, or just what the old LRTP could do? Remember you don't need everything to get the accolade, so you'd only need the zones that LRTP provides to get equivalent functionality.

If they put it in the accolade, they could have simply added it to LRTP, which is why I included the new destinations. But, to answer your question directly, getting just the old destinations is still 106 badges. That’s the equivalent of the fourth “badge badge” (Pathfinder) in and of itself.

21 minutes ago, ScarySai said:

I'm not surprised some people took it, though I am surprised that people are mourning that awful power.

It was put into the game by the original devs in Issue 21 - it’s not like we talking about some relic of the early game. The only thing that makes it seem awful is all the travel options added to this private server (making the destinations paltry, something that obviously could have been easily enhanced). With the base code hack removed, it would have been the closest thing without tricking out a base (or hunting down hundreds of badges). Some people are into base-building and badge hunting, others aren’t. 

I'm just annoyed that my power choice is being removed and that they are giving it away... but with a lot of extra 'busy work' to unlock. So I can get it, but I have to now go and unlock all the badges needed.

They just added a lot of work to replace something that made life easier. It's like the devs don't think that our time is worth anything, as it's 'free' to them.

• Like 1

A lot of the travel options we have now started emerging around about the same time. LRT was a bit of a drop in the ocean for the conveniences. The one advantage it did have was being accessible without needing veteran levels or monetary transactions, which are both now irrelevant. The big disadvantage was that it chewed up not just a power pick, but at least three and a power pool choice.

I never took it, but I'm interested in how it was used by those who did. Did you use it to go everywhere that it allowed, or just to specific places? It feels to me like I'd only bother getting zone badges for places that are usually annoying to get to, but even then I'll probably just carry on doing Ouro > Talos > Everywhere or Ouro > Grandville > Everywhere.

9 minutes ago, dtj714 said:

The only thing that makes it seem awful is all the travel options added to this private server

I don't agree. I've taken this power on my Teleporter-complete concept characters, and I never have a use for the power that can't be done in another way, without using a power pick.

I can LFG, self-destruct to base or hospital, Ouro port to Talos, Mission TP, Team Transport, use a Wentworth's charge, go to Pocket D, Teleport to new Contact...

As a professional Teleporter my character Mark Vector on Torch literally uses each of his other TP powers more often than LRT. LRT is the one power I feel least happy about taking, though I had to have all of them for Vector. I will not miss LRT as it stood. It only hits 12 or so of the 50 or so possible zones, for goodness sake! And it costs me a power choice!

• Like 2

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

22 minutes ago, dtj714 said:

It was put into the game by the original devs in Issue 21 - it’s not like we talking about some relic of the early game. The only thing that makes it seem awful is all the travel options added to this private server (making the destinations paltry, something that obviously could have been easily enhanced). With the base code hack removed, it would have been the closest thing without tricking out a base (or hunting down hundreds of badges). Some people are into base-building and badge hunting, others aren’t. 

The vast, vast majority of the travel options were added by the live devs.

Oro Portal, Base TP, WW TP, Mission TP, Pocket D TP, Base TP(Day job), WW TP(Day job) and I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

In addition to merging the tram lines and adding in bases and transport rooms in them. And adding in Pocket D with it's multiple zone links.  Just Pocket D + Mission TP + Oro should get you to 99% of the places the game even sends you on a regular basis.

Heck we now have those wormhole things too.  And new powers that let you drop a base teleport and what not. Travel is mindbendingly easy now.

LRTP was basically a joke pick.  It was there to waste a power slot.  The only way it could have been made better would have been removing most of the other teleport powers.

1 minute ago, DoctorDitko said:

I don't agree. I've taken this power on my Teleporter-complete concept characters, and I never have a use for the power that can't be done in another way, without using a power pick.

I can LFG, self-destruct to base or hospital, Ouro port to Talos, Mission TP, Team Transport, use a Wentworth's charge, go to Pocket D, Teleport to new Contact...

As a professional Teleporter my character Mark Vector on Torch literally uses each of his other TP powers more often than LRT. LRT is the one power I feel least happy about taking, though I had to have all of them for Vector. I will not miss LRT as it stood. It only hits 12 or so of the 50 or so possible zones, for goodness sake! And it costs me a power choice!

That was always my issue with it, it eats up one of your very limited power slots for an effect that just isn't worth it.  I did the same thing, had a TP based character.  But EVERYONE can teleport between zones freely so it didn't really feel worth it.  Now at the very least I'll likely go pick up the explore badges on the zones I frequent. Maybe collect them all on one or two TP based characters.

Honestly, if people really miss LRTP that much just add it back in as a free bonus power for having at least 4 TP powers or something.

• Like 1

I kinda wanna point something out about CT that people seem to be... ignoring? glossing over? Everyone keeps saying the +to-hit is terrible, and maybe it is but lets put numbers where our mouth is.

(Numbers pulled from latest copy of Mids, at work so i cant verify, some may very based on AT or powerset)

Pool - Teleport T2
Combat Teleport: +10% to-hit (5 seconds, stackable)

Pool - Leadership T3
Tactics: +12.5% - +7% to-hit (toggle)

Epic - Power Mastery T2
Power Build Up: 10% to-hit (12.5 seconds)

Epic - Body Mastery / Energy Mastery T2
Focused Accuracy: 5% to-hit 20% +acc (toggle)

Epic - Weapon Mastery T2
Targeting Drone: 5% to-hit 20% +acc (toggle)

Scrapper Buildup: +20% to-hit (10 seconds)

Scrapper Follow Up: +10% to-hit (10 seconds)
Blaster Aim: +50% to-hit (10 seconds)

Ok when layed out like this i don't see the argument? Sure one can argue to-hit is a generally bad stat but most high end builds i see use at least one to hit toggle to free up room for more procs and enhancement slots across the board. I really do not see how 10% that can be stacked to 30% for a solid 3 seconds, and kept up at atleast 10% at all times? is somehow a bad power. And thsi is without considering the teleport itself or the super fast animation time.

At most one can argue that the others benefit from to-hit enhancements, but that's an easy remedy, let us slot combat teleport the same way? Proc rates should prevent abuse with gaussians, so i don't see an issue. To be clear im not against the defense idea whole sale, hell ill use this no matter what, but i really think it being +to-hit is both more thematic and more interesting for build decisions. I flat out disagree with Combat Jumping being a valid comparison in mobility anyways, and hover is its own thing. I also want you blaster types to remember the melee players often need this kind of mobility to position attacks or get out of a pack or flee to our supports or tanks.

Remember: Just because YOU wont find it optimal for your build and play style doesn't mean others don't. My entire build will end up shifting around this power AS IS, and my scrap has no problems with +4x8 anything essentially.

Edited by Koopak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Lines said:

The big disadvantage was that it chewed up not just a power pick, but at least three and a power pool choice.

Why do people with no interest in the pool keep wanting to assert their value judgments?  I like the pool and it’s powers, I don’t like Speed or Leaping. But I’m not calling those pools “lesser than”. 

20 minutes ago, DoctorDitko said:

Each of those is a multi-step work-around or has it’s own limitations.  LRTP - one button and I’m there, every two minutes. Enhanced as it is for the accolade, it covers the bulk of the hero zones, the big coop zones, and the cross-over Praetoria zones (and should include more). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dtj714 said:

Why do people with no interest in the pool keep wanting to assert their value judgments?  I like the pool and it’s powers, I don’t like Speed or Leaping. But I’m not calling those pools “lesser than”.

That's not what she said.  Or implied.

• Thanks 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Costs for teleports have a tiny bit of unexpected cost. They are slot hungry. Until new hamios get added (doubtful), it looks like you have to shove -rech, -end, +acc in fold space, and at least a -rech in teletarget.

However!!! There is some neat synergy!

CT -> FS makes FS MUCH more likely to hit. If you chain 2 CTs, its even better. +20% hit? 

It gets better. Slot CT with stealth, +buildup proc, and +tohit.

Launch into a spawn (you are in stealth), pop a nuke or other useful thing, and avoid the alpha strike from the enemies!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Koopak said:

Ok that sounds fun as hell, i have to try

It is also a fast way to bypass heavy densities of mobs. With +rech and stealth, you can zip through dangerous rooms and teletarget the team to you. Think stalker light, but with much faster transit.

edit: So yeah, you can skip the need for tactics (unless you are feeling nice), since a doubletap into a mob gives you +20% tohit for your nuke(s). Some of these nuke-ish powers cast in ~1 sec, so you can actually fire a LOT of damage off, and if your nuke includes kd, kb, stun, you can do it in total safety.

edit edit: maaaan, i need moar alts.

Edited by Hew
  • Like 2

It also sounds like a sweet way to gather mobs after a Wormhole bungie jump, as they tend to wander off.

41 minutes ago, dtj714 said:

My dislike of LRTP has nothing to do with my interest in the teleport pool mechanically or thematically.  It's disingenuous to imply such.  Nor did I call any pool "lesser than"

I played TP in the Beta.  I argued with Jack Emmert about the activation times and TPing through walls via PMs because the old forums were just like that.  I was STILL talking with him when the patch dropped that added in the hover effect to teleport to stop people from falling to their deaths or building infinite momentum.  I still play Warshades over Peacebringers due to TP(and the awesome portal animation).

But LRTP is crap.  It is the crap of the TP pool, having taken the crown from TP Team.  Team TP being the former crap monarch of the Extremely Crappy Powers in Very Thematic Power Pool Sets kingdom.  ECPVTPPSK for short.

I was in the beta arguing against LRTP because it was crap. Trap crap. A choice designed to trick you into thinking you're getting something worthwhile.  But you're not.  No in combat use and it's out of combat is marginal at best.  It's a waste of a power slot. Thematically and mechanically.  Thematically we already have a dozen "Let me stand here a moment and then beam to another zone" powers.  Mechanically it's only slightly better than the other temp/vet/P2W powers.

Spending a whole Power Pool and three power slots, all of which are very limited, should get you something more then "another, slightly more efficient, inter-zone travel power" in a game world full of instant trams, time portals, wormholes, cross-dimensional dance parties and dozens of other near-identical powers that also just beam you to different places.

All of this I argued for from Issue 21 until closing. 

..."No interest in the pool" i s2g... That cheese'd me off.  I lost my master bind folder that had all my per-character binds set up for my TP characters like a year before Homecoming came out.  Had something like a 10 page rotating bind for TP Friend with dozens and dozens of "TP inc" quotes I'd written for it.  For my magic one I even had written a whole magic language made up with a cypher linked in the bio. It was basically a line-by-line poem that explained their backstory, written into the TP Inc quotes, written as a "magic language." That was the character I got big into macros and binds on.  I filled up multiple bars with macros that would switch to different sets of words for different "Laylines" I had worked out.  Specific sets of zones based off tramlines and TP access. I rewrote it every time they updated our travel methods.  I never did get around to updating that for Pretoria.

• Like 2