Focused Feedback: Teleportation Pool Revamp

Jimmy

2 minutes ago, Monos King said:

Just a side note: Currently when you previously had Teleport Foe you are given Combat Teleport instead of Teleport Target as the default replacement. Should probably be Teleport Target, and save people a respec.

Those who had Recall Friend are getting saved the respec.

26 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

Those who had Recall Friend are getting saved the respec.

...That is correct.

I am saying if you had Teleport Foe, you should also be saved the respec.

Edit: Forgot how Pools work.

Edited by Monos King

12 hours ago, WindDemon21 said:

However this doesn't work with the powexeclocation bind. If the target isn't in LOS, you'll just tp into the same place.

10 hours ago, aethereal said:

Don't believe that's true in beta, though I didn't check it with actual teleport, just combat teleport.

I went ahead and tested this for yall.

You absolutely do NOT need LOS to teleport using the powexeclocation command. However, if the targeted location ends up being invalid, you will teleport in place. Additionally I had an intermittent issue where if I was to close to a wall, it wouldn't cast at all, regardless of it being Teleport or Combat Teleport. No error dialogue is given, it just acts like the command wasn't used.

In practice, its more than enough to jump through walls mid combat with a little practice, but for traveling through buildings id need more testing.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Koopak said:

I went ahead and tested this for yall.

You absolutely do NOT need LOS to teleport using the powexeclocation command. However, if the targeted location ends up being invalid, you will teleport in place. Additionally I had an intermittent issue where if I was to close to a wall, it wouldn't cast at all, regardless of it being Teleport or Combat Teleport. No error dialogue is given, it just acts like the command wasn't used.

In practice, its more than enough to jump through walls mid combat with a little practice, but for traveling through buildings id need more testing.

Teleport target has, uh, kinda huge no LoS range. Like, from the entrace of DA (modern) all the way to the other side. MILES.

CT is, well. Let me just say it is better than I think people realize, especially if you put some effort into binds.

1 hour ago, Hew said:

Teleport target has, uh, kinda huge no LoS range. Like, from the entrace of DA (modern) all the way to the other side. MILES.

CT is, well. Let me just say it is better than I think people realize, especially if you put some effort into binds.

I was testing Teleport, and Combat Teleport, not Teleport Target, i know TPT has no LoS issues, it wouldnt work right otherwise

2 hours ago, Hew said:

Which a lot of players do not.  Many aren't even aware of the ability to create complex keybinds.  This is not a feature that any power should be designed to intentionally make use of.

11 minutes ago, Blackbird71 said:

Which a lot of players do not.  Many aren't even aware of the ability to create complex keybinds.  This is not a feature that any power should be designed to intentionally make use of.

I don't disagree with your point, but if you are implying its NOT worth use without the binds, then I definitely do disagree.

CT is great even when using it purely with click cast or number key power tray casts.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Blackbird71 said:

I sorta feel like either you misspoke (mistyped?) or I'm misunderstanding, but I feel all powers should be able to benefit from good keybinds, just none should require them to get any use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did some monkeying around with Teleport Target.  I would try to work in Recall Friend on any character with stealth or support abilities. 

Oddest thing I noticed was that its teleport-to your location seemed to have a lot longer range than its teleport-away from did.  I was not able to teleport an enemy much more than a few feet away, but I was able to teleport a foe to me from a substantial distance. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

On 11/4/2020 at 12:36 AM, Hew said:

I REALLY doubt you will see more than one person on a team with FS, given the amount of complaints about pre-req costs.

Pretty much this. I have been wanting something Fold Space ever since the tank patch feedback. Back then I proposed a reverse knockback unique ability for Tankers only where enemies would be pulled to the tank. So I am glad to see some form of it making it into the game....

... but in such a place that it will seldom see use.

Hovering is tremendously more useful for moving around tridimensionally than a short TP. It also does not take LotG or give the 2somethingish defense useful to complete a softcap.

Teleport friend/foe has some pretty minor pretty niche usefulness that currently elude me other than snatching a friend to rez.

As a travel power it's as sucky as everyone knows. Great for traversing long distances in a straight line, actually pretty bad when it comes to maneuvering tight places such as the interior of a regular office mission. We might as well toggle Ninja Run and ignore TP.

The only way I see picking it up is for the sets with a largess of free powers such as Super Reflexes who then proceed to sacrifice a few powers to remain unslotted and not placed in the tray simply to pick Fold Space.

1 hour ago, Sovera said:

... but in such a place that it will seldom see use.

I think this depends on play style. I am totally fine with ninja run (toggled as I can absorb the end cost) + sprint, using a CT bind to get vertical or horizontal movement as needed where ninjarun fails me. In fact, this is my goto. When ninjarun popped up on the market during live, it was the best thing since sliced bread, as it gave me more power pick flexibility. 

The same is true for the whole fast-travel nonsense. I found lots of ways to fast travel, albeit with some phat lewt investment, prior to all of this, that never used the enterfrom cheat. Bouncing through zones on a variety of cooldown functions was always good for me. Teams generally rolled with TT, ATT. Now, I don't see many people at all carrying these, even though we are a richer playerbase as a whole. 

A certain breed of player from back in the day will go this route, and it will rub off on new players, and slowly but surely the changes will be absorbed. Not a big deal!

• Like 1

I really, really want CT to have some sort of +Defense component.

Will it make the power interchangeable with Hover and Combat Jumping?
Yes, yes it will.

Is that why I want it?
Yes, yes it is. I want it to be interchangeable with Hover and Combat Jumping so that I can interchange it with Hover and Combat Jumping and have the chance to play with cool new options without (all of) the opportunity cost. The buffs aren’t what make the three demi-travel powers unique; it’s the mechanics. Homogenized buffs will not homogenize the powers.

• Like 5

On 11/4/2020 at 12:59 PM, Hew said:

Yeah, this is what I've been saying. For meleers, it is going to become one of those "gimped if you don't have it" kinds of powers. Once it drops, I'll drop my teleport binds for everyone to use. I currently use regular Teleport on my Scrapper for combat movement, and even with the long cast time, I have to be careful not to kill-steal everyone by getting to every target ahead of them. I have a /Savage Dominator that is even worse, with her abuse of Feral Charge.

As far as PVP, I cannot even fathom how they are going to balance this. It just seems like it will be so OP. And most battles will turn into Teleport chases (which actually sounds kind of fun, but eventually boring).

11 hours ago, Sovera said:

Teleport friend/foe has some pretty minor pretty niche usefulness that currently elude me other than snatching a friend to rez.

That reminds me. If triggered at the same time, Teleport Friend can allow two players that possess it to switch places on the map. Perhaps we should test to see if Teleport Target does the same thing.

• Haha 3

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

51 minutes ago, Myrmidon said:

That reminds me. If triggered at the same time, Teleport Friend can allow two players that possess it to switch places on the map. Perhaps we should test to see if Teleport Target does the same thing.

Hm. Does it work on "stuff" like a crabs nuke bomb?

If so, the crab can drop the nuke in safety, tank ct in and tp it into a mess of mess

(I would test, but requires two people, and even though I have like 5 chars with TT, I would need a crab partner. I dont THINK it would work, but it would be cool if it did)

Edited by Hew

Multiple people with TT can do some interesting things. If the team is split and you have someone hard core in a different part of a mish, 1 person next to the dead person can tp the badass, while the badass ports the dead person. This puts the dead person in a safe place (to rez), the bad ass in the dangerous place, and resets the cadence of the mission.

In fact, TT pinball enables fender types to support teams across vastly different locations on large maps, enabling split map processing.

Edited by Hew
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Hew said:

Multiple people with TT can do some interesting things. If the team is split and you have someone hard core in a different part of a mish, 1 person next to the dead person can tp the badass, while the badass ports the dead person. This puts the dead person in a safe place (to rez), the bad ass in the dangerous place, and resets the cadence of the mission.

In fact, TT pinball enables fender types to support teams across vastly different locations on large maps, enabling split map processing.

If you have a team full of people with damage auras, having one person being the Designated driver mitigates any alpha the bad guy may have. This is how Fire/Rad controller teams used to beat STF prior to IOs and alpha slots. Same for if you got multiple rads in your group, they can all do a "body nuke" before they rez the person and get some good damage in. Used to you could stack vengence, and we would all pop that, and TT into the 4 AVs. Now a days you have incandescence which does about the same thing.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2020 at 8:41 PM, ScarySai said:

I do really think teleport itself needs some sort of usability fix to it, at the very least.

Like, you can argue combat teleport handles the indoor traveling part, but I would argue that you shouldn't need two powers for a single travel pool to be functional for the purposes of travel.

What?

Like say Combat Jumping and Super Jump or Hover and Flight?

The two powers have different uses.

Combat teleport is short range and comes with a to-hit buff. Teleport doesn't have a buff and it is longer ranged travel.

The same way Combat Jumping and Hover have a defense bonus with minor travel ability, and flight and mighty leap don't add a buff but they are quicker travel.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.