Focused Feedback: Teleportation Pool Revamp

Jimmy

1 minute ago, Xanatos said:

15 minutes to get every exploration badge seems really quick.

I apologize, I intended to say, "in any given zone", not "in every zone".  Sorry for the misleading phrasing.  🙂

• Like 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Just now, Luminara said:

I apologize, I intended to say, "in any given zone", not "in every zone".  Sorry for the misleading phrasing.  🙂

Exactly, it easily takes several hours to get the badges in all zones. Doing that for all characters, makes me want to slam my head into the wall.

3 minutes ago, WindDemon21 said:

cj and hover are not suppressed.

Movement suppression isn't the same thing as debuffs.  -Jump will still completely shut down someone using CJ, -Fly will do the same to Hover.

4 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Movement suppression isn't the same thing as debuffs.  -Jump will still completely shut down someone using CJ, -Fly will do the same to Hover.

And they also benefit from not having to constantly re-use in combat, and provide defense, and either immobilize protection, or some kb protection.

Times like this I really wish we could post video. Any of my characters with super speed/SoS/afterburner will be able to get a good chunk of them in a pretty short amount of time.

Tedious for multiple characters? Maybe, but it won't take nearly as long as you're suggesting here.

Edited by ScarySai
  • Like 1

Just now, WindDemon21 said:

Testing for what? try it yourself, going to every zone, getting every exploration and history badge. It takes hours.

Hi, the post that I quoted you said that "it easily takes several hours to get the badges in all zones". I was asking for either evidence to support this assertion or your testing methodology to validate your conclusion. Thanks.

I am also confused as to why you would need to collect history badges?

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

2 minutes ago, ScarySai said:

Times like this I really wish we could post video. Any of my characters with super speed/SoS/afterburner will be able to get a good chunk of them in a pretty short amount of time.

Tedious for multiple characters? Maybe, but it won't take nearly as long as you're suggesting here.

It has any time i've tried it, and also to say what you're saying that every character should have all those travel powers you mentioned is absurd.

4 minutes ago, WindDemon21 said:

It has any time i've tried it, and also to say what you're saying that every character should have all those travel powers you mentioned is absurd.

He/she is saying that any of those travel powers will speed up the process, not that all of his/her characters have all of those travel powers.

Just now, Luminara said:

He/she is saying that any of those travel powers will speed up the process, not that all of his/her characters have all of those travel powers.

Yeah i gather that, but doesn't change what i was saying that it still takes a while and is a HUGE PITA, even if you had every travel power maxed out.

53 Zones with exploration badges at 15 min exploration time per zone = 795 minutes

106 loading screens at 10s load time = ~17.5 minutes

Total: ~13.5 hours

Edit: We should probably move this discussion here:

Edited by Xanatos
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

City of Heroes Class of 2001.

53 Zones with exploration badges at 15 min exploration time per zone = 795 minutes

And I have like 70 actual characters at this point. I don't want to spend 945 hours on something that is already boring.

• Like 1

Doesn't -range work on Combat Teleport? (Genuinely can't remember.)

According to the notes, no.  It can be enhanced, but not buffed or debuffed in any other way.

1 hour ago, Xanatos said:

Edit: We should probably move this discussion here:

Strictly speaking, there are twenty seven zones which are eligible for travel using the Long Range Teleport Accolade power. Assuming your numbers are accurate, this would reduce the resulting figure by nearly half the time.

• Haha 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

4 hours ago, Killerhawk said:

1) Add a minor Defense buff to combat teleport - (Matching the bonus from Combat Jumping/Hover).  I know, I know, - power creep....but hear me out.

Right now, it's a "fun" power to be sure, but I don't see it as a competitive alternative for defense builds.  To have tamp down "softcap everything!" maybe we could have Hover, Combat Jumping, and Combat Teleport changed so that instead of granting a defense buff on their own, they apply a separate buff power to the caster (name suggestions: "On the Move", "Float Like a Butterfly") with a 20 second duration that doesn't stack with itself.  That way, having any one of the toggles would constantly refresh the duration to keep it up, and jumping around in a fight would have more purpose. But you'd get the same defense benefit with either one or all three Combat Movement powers in your build, so there's less reason to feel like you *have* to get leaper, or flight.

This.  Please this.  The thing stopping me from getting into the teleport pool is the lack of Defense IO capability.  I have to take CJ on nearly every toon because of that cheap DEF bonus it gives.  It's just such a perfect mule for some of those DEF bonuses to pass up.  Hover works if I'm going for a flying toon.  But non-flying means CJ always.  If Combat Teleport had it that would allow for more diversified builds.  Trade out the +tohit for DEF for pool diversification please.  I would love to go 3 deep for Fold Space, but I can't justify it with needing CJ and some other movement besides Teleport for normal travel because it still sucks as a standard movement power (too clicky/active for between mission movement).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cohRock said:

Suggestion 2: Grant to Teleport an "aloft" characteristic which would allow a teleporter to maintain his teleported position for up to 30 seconds.  While aloft, the player could rotate, but not move.  Well, the only motion would be to release the aloft state by pressing the space bar, teleporting again, or combat teleporting (with no aloft, but the minor defense buff).  He can attack and be attacked while aloft, just as someone Hovering would..  If teleporting to the ground (or any standable location, such as roof), there would be no aloft state.

My subconscious must have been thinking on this, and I have some further thoughts.  First of all, the stone armor powers of Granite and Rooted will override aloft, and a player teleporting while they are active will drop immediately, just as now.  If already aloft and one of the two powers is activated, that will also cause an immediate drop.  Second, if a player's end location from teleporting is within 2 feet from a surface, aloft will not take hold, and the effect will be just as it is now. Effects from attacks that hit the aloft player will function basically as one would expect:

• -fly: overrides aloft, and the player drops
  • knockdown: overrides aloft and the player drops, with whatever stand-back-up time exists in knockdown now
  • knockup: first causes aloft player to go a bit higher, then acts like knockdown
  • repel: pushes the aloft player in the direction of the repel at the speed of the given repel power. It does not, however completely override aloft unless he is pushed to the ground.
  • knockback: similar to repel, but at the quick speed of a knockback.  As backward motion ends, however, aloft is overridden and the player drops.  As an alternative, to being knocked back, the effect could be programmed to be like a person hovering being knocked back, a quick flip.  But after the flip, aloft would end and the player will drop.
  • if an aloft player has protection (not resistance) to knock* and/or repel of sufficient magnitude, he will be unaffected by that effect even if the attack hits. Knockback resistance on its own would lessen the amount knocked back but not the overriding of aloft itself.  Knock protections powers which depend on the aloft player being close to the ground will not provide protection unless he is sufficiently close to the ground.
  • aloft players who are mezzed remain aloft, with the limited functionality caused by the given mez.  Aloft and mezzed players cannot break aloft by hitting the space bar, but aloft can time out when the 30 seconds expire.
  • Like 1

-- Rock

3 hours ago, ScarySai said:

It really takes no time at all to get a majority of the exploration badges, there is no validity to this stance.

Multiply that "no time at all" across 20 lvl 50 alts.  That's a lot more time than I can reasonably spend to unlock them all.  That gets very tedious to do it over and over again.  I'm already doing it for the other accolades as it is.  I'd rather not have to add another accolade to get.

How about getting one map accolade gets the power and then unlock every other zone map with at least one exploration badge instead?  That would be a more reasonable task than accolade for every map you want.

• Like 3

I had misjudged what the 'combat' teleport was, so I thought it was better than it was and the change to 'mass teleport up to 16 mobs to you' seems like an incredibly efficient farming device, which makes me wonder what they are thinking about trying to directly make it better for farmers and of very minor use for the squishiest.

I'm actually all for combining recall friend/teleport. That's a great quality of life update.

A to-hit buff with cool down for a 1/3rd range teleport seems really kind of not as useful, sorry. With a right button macro, I basically have the 'combat' part of teleport self of moving around usefully in combat. To-hit is supposed to be the offensive equal to constant +Def, but it really isn't. My high level IOd characters have scads of to-hit and accuracy buffs, more than I need to hit +4 mobs. So this is not different but equal. +Def (perhaps at 300% more than CJ and Hover but only 25% of the time) would fit better.

Group Teleport has always been a pain in the butt to use and if you swapped it out from the summon teammates power, you'd probably have a lot of people taking it except that it's basically a free power to buy.

I intensely think that the 'new wormhole' power was not thought out and is heavily skewed to help people that need the least help in grabbing and keeping aggro. The entire concept as a power was broken in wormhole and is now even worse as a power that your super farmers will pick up.