Focused Feedback: Travel Updates: Base Teleportation, Long Range Teleporter Accolade, Special TP Powers

58 minutes ago, QuiJon said:

Considering your last major change cut my influence earning by like 45 percent or so this is possible the worst rational for these changes that could have been put forward. I mean seriously if you want to infl sink then make powers worth getting that are new or charge way more for things people do buy that cause other problem like the buffs that just compound power creep even worse then it already is 

start selling costume powers like the carnie ring mistress or the freakshow boss. they dont effect power in any way but are worth dropping some inf on. taking away travel option to make an inf sink is lame.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, retiarius said:

It improves the game in the perspectives of some, and makes it worse for others. In the final analysis, you'll have some who would want the /ah command removed as well, and others who believe removing it would be completely counterproductive.  Maybe it too will eventually be removed.

The key though, is that it doesn't really matter what you or I think - it's the homecoming team's boat, and they'll steer it in whatever direction they see fit, if they believe that it improves the game.  This isn't navigation by democracy or popular opinion.

The most important choice one can make is at some point whether to stay on the ship (whatever it's destination), or to grab a life preserver, jump into the open ocean, and see what other possibilities are out there.

I might see it as being that black and white if they hadn't posted this topic explicitly asking for feedback.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ivanhedgehog said:

start selling costume powers like the carnie ring mistress or the freakshow boss. they dont effect power in any way but are worth dropping some inf on. taking away travel option to make an inf sink is lame.

If inf sinks for the sake of being inf sinks is part of the point, this is an excellent idea.  Better than the non-combat pets, that much is sure.  And we know that the code is there for all of this. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

On 10/24/2020 at 8:44 AM, Jimmy said:

New Accolade: Long Range Teleporter

• LongRangeTeleporter.png.4970195b31b9e2546510622430b293f0.png Long Range Teleporter
    • Long Range Teleport has been removed from the Teleportation pool and is now an Accolade power
    • 2s activation time, 10 minute cooldown (activation time is longer in PvP)
      • Activation time reduced from 12s to 2s
    • Collecting any exploration badge in a zone will unlock it as a destination, but you still need at least one exploration accolade to unlock the power itself
    • Every zone with a base portal can be unlocked as a Long Range Teleporter destination (see the above list for reference)
    • Long Range Teleporter drops you at the base portal in the target zone
    • Long Range Teleporter can also take you to your base, and allows you to use /enterbasefrompasscode to enter any base

You’ve now made the accolade into the great inter-zone travel power that should be reserved to the Teleportation Pool (with the exception of the recharge, which should remain 5 minutes and be affected by global). Both ends of the rationale for this change have disappeared - i.e., it sucks as a pool power, but we’re going to leave it in as an accolade for those who really like/want it.

No, it now fits and is appropriate as the top power in a travel power pool (and to those who say “but it’s not just the power it’s a pool and 2 prior picks - if you’re already in the pool for the two prior powers that’s a non-issue), and the accolade is universally desired and useful - it’s not just a bow to posterity.

So leave LRTP to the Teleporters, and let everyone else use the enhanced/increased Base and other options (which is what everyone was already doing, except they where using the base code to do it instantly and anytime). All the other changes are a “fair trade” for removal of the command - everybody doesn’t need LRTP too. 

Edited by dtj714
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4

4 hours ago, Bionic_Flea said:

But Jimmy, why can't I go anywhere, instantly, with no endurance cost, recharge, or animation time?

There is a big difference to going anywhere instantly and your super group base. For a year and a half we have been able to go to our super group bases with no limits imposed. One day soon we will not be able to. That is a valid subject for gripes considering ABSOLUTELY no reason has been given for why it is needed. Has it broke the current game allowing the travel aspect of the slash command to remain usable? No. So no matter how many half steps given to us, there is absolutely no reason why we could not have been given 1 power that worked just as functionally as what we had. We, or most of us, are not 12 years old. "Because i said so" is not a valid reason anymore. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, QuiJon said:

There is a big difference to going anywhere instantly and your super group base. For a year and a half we have been able to go to our super group bases with no limits imposed. One day soon we will not be able to. That is a valid subject for gripes considering ABSOLUTELY no reason has been given for why it is needed. Has it broke the current game allowing the travel aspect of the slash command to remain usable? No. So no matter how many half steps given to us, there is absolutely no reason why we could not have been given 1 power that worked just as functionally as what we had. We, or most of us, are not 12 years old. "Because i said so" is not a valid reason anymore. 

Look a little more carefully and you’ll see why (hint - it’s exploitable in various ways). And with the other changes made, you pretty much can get to your base whenever (the day job alone has a 30 second recharge...)

Edited by dtj714

2 minutes ago, dtj714 said:

Look a little more carefully and you’ll see why (hint - it’s exploitable in various ways). And with the other changes made, you pretty much can get to your base whenever (the day job alone has a 30 second recharge...)

once again, NO ONE is suggesting to leave a command in the game that is exploitable. NO ONE. However the very first power on the list of teleports is a p2w vendor base teleport power isnt it? It is costing players 1m influence, a cost new players wont have to pay and other players might not be able to afford. It has a recharge of 10 minutes, which is quite an increase then having no recharge. And to make up for that recharge requires badges, more influence spending NOT PLAYING MY CHARACTER so i can earn powers and charges. Yeah that is right i am being now incentivized to NOT play the game. 

So look a little more closely. If that base teleport power is being added it obviously has no exploitability within it. So put it at a 1-5 minutes recharge and give it away as a free p2w vendor power like like beast run, or ninja run, or the other free things offered there. And then guess what, players have lost nothing, they having nothing more required from them and there is no more exploit. Why is that such a problem? No one is offering a valid reason for it to be. Even if you dont like the power to begin with, well just like everything else in this game, just because it is there if you dont like it dont use it. But right now it is there, and soon will not be. And acting like it would be impossible to replace it equally with no exploit is just a useless conversation to have because we both know it could be. In fact it has been, they just set the recharge to high. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, retiarius said:

It improves the game in the perspectives of some, and makes it worse for others. In the final analysis, you'll have some who would want the /ah command removed as well, and others who believe removing it would be completely counterproductive.  Maybe it too will eventually be removed.

I'm one of the ones that would love to see the /ah command removed.  Prior to sunset, I used to go to the Imperial City auction house whenever I needed to buy and/or sell, specifically to avoid the crowds at the Black Market.  I miss needing a reason to do that. :P  That said, it is far too late to change that as /ah was something available prior to sunset.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 6:44 AM, Jimmy said:

enterbasefrompasscode

How about for an inf sink the enter base costs like 250 inf per use so lowbies can sell salvage to get into their base and poor heroes have to run to an actual base beacon like hobos. 

This is the only MMO I play so I don't understand why travel has to be a slog. Low max speeds, eliminating pool and primary/secondary stacking, putting long recharge on convenient powers, etc. City of Public Transportation.

I like the accolade even though it'll be a bit of a pain to unlock a bunch of times, but at least vidiot maps helps there. 

1 hour ago, dtj714 said:

Once again, there is a power you can get for free that lets you TP to Base every 30 seconds..what more do you want?

Dude again you are not reading, it requires at least 4 days of not playing to earn it and at least 7 days off line at current recharge rates to earn a fill up on uses. The day job powers should not even be considered into the equation for balancing any adjustment to the travel dynamic. No new character will have them. And frankly what the hell do you even make a new character for it not to want to play it and let it sit around. You can say that power is an equalizer all you want, it is not. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, dtj714 said:

Once again, there is a power you can get for free that lets you TP to Base every 30 seconds..what more do you want?

Free?  You need to go back and learn the meaning of "opportunity cost."  It's been explained again and again what the cost of using this power is in terms of recharging it.

Rapid Response Portal

Yesterday I had transferred a character over with Rapid Response Member Accolade, but I didn't automatically get the Rapid Response Portal power.  I logged off yesterday at my SG base and logged in today 24+ hours later.  I had the Rapid Response Portal power with 30 charges.  I used the portal and it worked fine.

Seems to be working as intended.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Furiant said:

So why do we still have the /ah command instead of having to physically travel to the location?

Believe it or not, that command existed back on live as a veteran reward (and later as a Paragon Market reward), it's just that everyone gets access to it now. I24-based servers still require reward tokens to unlock it though.

• Like 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

3 hours ago, dtj714 said:

And the fix he was referencing allows them to fix the exploit and replace the functionality with 1 power. everyone wins. Unless there were other reasons not previously mentioned? inf sinks etc.

12 hours ago, Dombloo said:

2. Given some of the criticism in this thread so far this may be an unpopular addition, but as someone who doesn't shy away from influence sinks—I would love it if the P2W vendor would sell charges of supergroup base-related Day Job powers (call it Paid Time-Off). I would pay upward of 1 million influence per charge of Base Transporter/Supergroup Portal if I was in a bind and really wanted that additional convenience.

I actually had a pretty similar thought process after the inf sink topic came up. I don't mind them personally, but I do think it's very important to keep things in perspective for newer players. I've intro'd some friends and spotted them inf to get past a few hurdles, but from the brand new player perspective I think some of these travel options should probably end up free as a baseline? In the same way you can pick up Ninja Run for no cost, maybe SG Portal should actually just be free? 

From there you can start looking at putting costs on luxury for other items. I really think the "upgrading a power" idea has merit, so if your initial SG Portal is free, you can replace it with the 1m SG Portal Mk.2 with a faster recharge, and the 10m SG Portal Mk.3 with an even faster recharge. The quoted idea of selling the TP charges is pretty great too, but I'm not sure if it looks after the lower end quite as much. But you can go further and appeal to my laziness by selling LRTP destination bundles: 1m to unlock the accolade without exploring, 1m for one zone pack, 1m for another zone pack, etc. Earning them is still a viable option just like the Pocket D Pass works now - you can shortcut it if you'd like, or go out and unlock it yourself.

3 hours ago, Apparition said:

I'm one of the ones that would love to see the /ah command removed.  Prior to sunset, I used to go to the Imperial City auction house whenever I needed to buy and/or sell, specifically to avoid the crowds at the Black Market.  I miss needing a reason to do that. 😛 That said, it is far too late to change that as /ah was something available prior to sunset.

you already have a reason to do that. you liked doing that and that was reason enough to do it, leave the rest of us out of your reasons please.

• Like 1

Would it be too upsetting to anyone if joining a supergroup granted the supergroup portal power? I mean, when you join the Justice League they give you a communicator you can use to get beamed up the the satellite in Geo-synchronous orbit. Seems like we could do as much for new players.

Just seems like a nice gesture.

• Like 2

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

8 minutes ago, DoctorDitko said:

Would it be too upsetting to anyone if joining a supergroup granted the supergroup portal power? I mean, when you join the Justice League they give you a communicator you can use to get beamed up the the satellite in Geo-synchronous orbit. Seems like we could do as much for new players.

Just seems like a nice gesture.

And then just imagine when Batman calls up to the Watch Tower and say i just beamed down to the Joker's warehouse and snuck in and found his plans, he is at Gotham City Hall right now getting ready to gas the entire city council, beam me to the down town district. And Mr Terrific tells him "sorry bats, it has only been 7 minutes since we last ported you, you are gonna need to wait 3 more minutes."

Edited by QuiJon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Pretty sure Bats has a root account on the JL servers, but point well taken!

Still, it would be a new-user-friendly gesture.

Better than charging them a bunch of inf!

"Welcome to the Justice League multi-level marketing scheme. When you recruit 4 new members, you'll earn enough inf to buy a teleport token..."

Hard pass!

PS: That leaves time for a Hostess Fruit Pie commercial!

(story continues on 3rd page following...)

Edited by DoctorDitko
  • Haha 1

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

4 hours ago, Apparition said:

That said, it is far too late to change that as /ah was something available prior to sunset.

Why would it be the case that it's too late to change it?

This is a completely different team of people at the helm, with their own vision of what the game is and should be - is there something about the original game's state (i.e. the final build prior to sunset) that is in an HC charter or mission statement somewhere? 

Even if there was, it seems to me that there will eventually be changes that run counter to what some portion of the playerbase would prefer -- it was a commercial product back then - but the gaming climate in late 2020 isn't what it was in 2010, and future changes will be needed to meet an ever-evolving player need in order for the game to grow and remain viable.

/ah changes?

OK, this is true.

But we now live in a world where billions are traded on Bitcoin websites, and there is no need to fly to Belgium to buy things. It's not immersion-breaking to have remote access to your market. I think this one is a non-starter.

• Like 1

• City Council
33 minutes ago, retiarius said:

Why would it be the case that it's too late to change it?

This is a completely different team of people at the helm, with their own vision of what the game is and should be - is there something about the original game's state (i.e. the final build prior to sunset) that is in an HC charter or mission statement somewhere? 

Even if there was, it seems to me that there will eventually be changes that run counter to what some portion of the playerbase would prefer -- it was a commercial product back then - but the gaming climate in late 2020 isn't what it was in 2010, and future changes will be needed to meet an ever-evolving player need in order for the game to grow and remain viable.

/ah makes the market more accessible for everyone, which means it's easier for everyone to list their stuff, which means that the supply is higher and it's easier for everyone to buy what they want.

There's not really a good case to remove it, keeping the economy healthy and in check is very important to us - we don't want it to end up like the market from live.

• Like 4

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

1 minute ago, Jimmy said:

/ah makes the market more accessible for everyone, which means it's easier for everyone to list their stuff, which means that the supply is higher and it's easier for everyone to buy what they want.

There's not really a good case to remove it, keeping the economy healthy and in check is very important to us - we don't want it to end up like the market from live.

Out of curiosity, might it ever be accessible inside supergroup bases? I've heard there's some technical difficulties that need overcoming first though.