Focused Feedback: Travel Updates: Base Teleportation, Long Range Teleporter Accolade, Special TP Powers

7 minutes ago, Faultline said:

No, there is currently no way for the monorail code to know that it was triggered by any specific power, nor a way for the monorail code to change the status of a power. Non trivial to add, it's very out of scope.

What if you changed LRTP Second Chance to some kind of "never mind" power? Clicking the power would close the monorail window if it's open and cancel the /enterbasefrompasscode unlock that using LRTP gives, and instantly recharge LRTP, and it would have the same "expires on zoning" behavior as LRTP Second Chance. Would that work?

Edited by Vanden

• City Council

Powers can't close the monorail window, they have no awareness of it being open. The monorail window is part of the door code, and while I call it a monorail window, it's really a window that pops up when the door you tried to enter has multiple destinations. If you enter the PI ferry with multiple PI zones up, you get a menu. If you activate LRT with only one destination unlocked, you are ported there with no menu.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Game Master
9 minutes ago, Veelectric Boogaloo said:

It's not redundant when there's cooldowns or charges involved in the other powers.

Patch notes.

• LongRangeTeleporter.png.4970195b31b9e2546510622430b293f0.png Long Range Teleporter
    • Long Range Teleport has been removed from the Teleportation pool and is now an Accolade power
    • 2s activation time, 10 minute cooldown (activation time is longer in PvP)
      • Activation time reduced from 12s to 2s
    • Collecting any exploration badge in a zone will unlock it as a destination, but you still need at least one exploration accolade to unlock the power itself
    • Every zone with a base portal can be unlocked as a Long Range Teleporter destination (see the above list for reference)
    • Long Range Teleporter drops you at the base portal in the target zone
    • Long Range Teleporter can also take you to your base, and allows you to use /enterbasefrompasscode to enter any base
    • Known issue: Most of the text relating to this feature is outdated

LRT cools down three times in 30 min.  Current version of Pocket D TP Prestige Power in Issue 26 has a cooldown of 30 min per use.

And you don't need to re-earn the destination when Issue 27 starts.  If you have the power now, the LRT will be granted with Pocket D as a destination on day 1, no effort required.

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

1 minute ago, Faultline said:

If you activate LRT with only one destination unlocked, you are ported there with no menu.

Yeah, I wish I'd known this before I tested LRT inside a trial with only one destination unlocked. At least I'd already tested what I wanted inside that trial when I did that, but the other testers might have been miffed I vanished without a word...

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, GM Tahquitz said:

Patch notes.

LRT cools down three times in 30 min.  Current version of Pocket D TP Prestige Power in Issue 26 has a cooldown of 30 min per use.

And you don't need to re-earn the destination when Issue 27 starts.  If you have the power now, the LRT will be granted with Pocket D as a destination on day 1, no effort required.

Being able to use one power to get to PD 3 times in 30 mins doesn't make a power that'd give you a 4th visit in those 30 minutes redundant, especially if the former power is also your way of travelling to everywhere else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Game Master

Thought I'd address the objections.  If after considering that, you disagree, that's alright.

(By my own observation using the Beta, the only impact on me is visiting Pocket D is two clicks instead of one.  If using the Fast Travel menu to save Power Bar icon slots, three clicks.  That's about the only difference.)

• Thanks 1

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

I'm not concerned by the amount of clicks it takes to get to Pocket D so much as I enjoy having one single power to get me there, which has no bearing on any other modes of transportation and is it's own nice little thing. 

• Like 2

I'm having a hard time understanding the push back on these changes.

• We had a power that was supposed to be GM only, meaning players were not supposed to use it at all
  • That functionality is being removed and it has been known this functionality would be removed for several months
  • We are getting multiple options as semi-replacement, despite the fact that we are not entitled to the functionality since we were never supposed to have it in the first place

I am happy to argue and persuade for things that I think are not logical (blaster TA secondary range adjustments and non-stacking movement come to mind), but I think the HC team has gone well above and beyond the call of duty for these changes.

Think about this:

• They could have just removed the GM functionality as an exploit
  • 3 months from now they could have provided some of these alternatives
  • In this case everyone would be extremely excited to get these options, but because it is happening at the same time as removing the GM functionality there is an outcry

I wouldn't mind lower recharge, but it isn't a major issue since I can pretty much always Oro to Talos and from Talos go to SG portal or Train or Tunnel.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Lockpick said:

I'm having a hard time understanding the push back on these changes.

No offense intended, but you're not reading the thread then because you've missed the mark.  Pushback is to have one power, not 4.  No one is asking for the command to remain as is.  but the discussion is moot at this point anyway.  The 4 or so base base portal powers are what we're getting and there's little to no interest to listen to any additional feedback. 

24 minutes ago, Lockpick said:

I wouldn't mind lower recharge, but it isn't a major issue since I can pretty much always Oro to Talos and from Talos go to SG portal or Train or Tunnel.

That's great it works for you.  Not everyone plays the same way you do. 

• Like 1

• City Council
23 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

Pushback is to have one power, not 4.

This is misleading. The pushback is to have one power on very short recharge, for free or very low cost.

Right now you are getting:

• One power for free (either grab an Exploration accolade, or park in Pocket D for an hour) which unlocks various zones, or lets you use /ebfp once every 10 minutes.
  • One power for 1 million inf that lets you use /ebfp an additional time every 10 minutes, which datamining says covers most people's cooldown requirements.
  • Another power for 10 million inf that lets anyone near use /ebfp, giving you 3 uses every 10 minutes, which datamining says cover >95% of use cases.
  • Two other Day Job powers you get for free, at a low acquisition rate, to cover any edge cases where you definitely cannot wait if all other options are out.
  • A single button to access all the options, as well as Ouroboros, Mission Transporter and Team Transporter, so they don't eat power tray space.
    • For all intents and purposes, this is the same as a single power that you can trigger 3 times every 10 minutes to enable the use of /ebfp.

Additional feedback is still being listened to to further improve the system, but a single power with unlimited charges for free on 30 second cooldown is not happening.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I still don't see Cimerora on the list. Can we add it as a destination or at least have one that drops you off at a Univeristy so it's a quick jaunt to Midnighter's Club? Heck, make one for Midnighter's club and you hit 3 birds with one stone (poor birds)

EDIT: I just did some zone hopping and noticed Croatoa & Founders drop at the Uni for Heroes and Cap at the Uni for Villains so I guess it's all good.

Edited by Backfire
update with more testing

• City Council
1 minute ago, Backfire said:

I still don't see Cimerora on the list. Can we add it as a destination or at least have one that drops you off at a Univeristy so it's a quick jaunt to Midnighter's Club? Heck, make one for Midnighter's club and you hit 3 birds with one stone (poor birds)

Cap au Diable and Croatoa both put you at Universities.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

No offense intended, but you're not reading the thread then because you've missed the mark.  Pushback is to have one power, not 4.  No one is asking for the command to remain as is.  but the discussion is moot at this point anyway.  The 4 or so base base portal powers are what we're getting and there's little to no interest to listen to any additional feedback. 

I think you also missed my point.  They could have gotten rid of the GM functionality without giving us any replacement, since we were not supposed to be using it in the first place.

How would you react if they basically said "we are removing this power because it was being exploited"?  You would probably be upset for a little while, but you would understand the need to do it because:

1. They have stated months ago it was going to be removed
  2. It needed to be removed now due to an exploit

After a few months you would be used to playing without it and if they added additional functions to the P2W vendor you would probably be grateful, right?

• Like 1

• City Council

Jimmy actually came up with a delightfully hacky way to make LRT start recharging after you zone. It hasn't been tested and requires code changes, but it may work. Do not take this as a promise that it'll happen, I'm just bringing it up so you are aware it is something we're looking into, it's not outright dismissed as a possibility.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

On 11/1/2020 at 12:06 PM, dtj714 said:

Look a little more carefully and you’ll see why (hint - it’s exploitable in various ways). And with the other changes made, you pretty much can get to your base whenever (the day job alone has a 30 second recharge...)

...except, like children, we are not told what these exploits are.  I understand why; it's been heavily inferred that there was the potential of a major exploit discovered, and thus the mad scramble to "do something" before it became an actual exploit.  But the issue for most of us seems to be the absolute loss of a really good QoL feature, and replacing it with a pile of things that aren't quite right.  Several folks have suggested repurposing the Oro portal code; my own idea is the same, but reduce to CD to 90 secs or less.  That would make everyone happy, no?  And, it would not require all this rigamarole. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Faultline said:

Jimmy actually came up with a delightfully hacky way to make LRT start recharging after you zone. It hasn't been tested and requires code changes, but it may work. Do not take this as a promise that it'll happen, I'm just bringing it up so you are aware it is something we're looking into, it's not outright dismissed as a possibility.

My bad on the last post! And that's cool to hear, I support whatever works. 

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

32 minutes ago, Faultline said:

Jimmy actually came up with a delightfully hacky way to make LRT start recharging after you zone

Good job, that man! Hope it works out!

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

1 hour ago, Faultline said:

Jimmy actually came up with a delightfully hacky way to make LRT start recharging after you zone.

I take back three of the things I said about him typing with his nipples.

Okay, four things.  He's earned it.

😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

2 hours ago, Faultline said:

This is misleading. The pushback is to have one power on very short recharge, for free or very low cost.

To be fair, I think your comment here is very, very misleading and is completely ignoring valid criticism of what we are being given.  I do not think that is fair.  At least for me ( and I could be wrong), based on the various posts and discussions over the past year on this topic, I think most were looking for what essentially is a copy of the Oro portal.  Something that could not be used in combat with a short animation and a brief recharge.  That is all and that solves the issues with the command.  The Oro portal itself is a simple unlock, has a brief cooldown, requires no influence and does not need to be recharged by day jobs.  What you are giving us is 4 powers to manage that need to be recharged or require a not so insignificant inf cost and have very long recharges.  Looking at data is fine and all, but actually playing the game with people to see how and why they are using this stuff probably makes more sense here, at least to me.  Personally, I would be happy with a copy of the Oro portal that goes to the base instead.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, Luminara said:

I take back three of the things I said about him typing with his nipples.

Okay, four things.  He's earned it.

😁

I'm kinda curious which four things you take back, and what the dozen or so you don't take back are.

Hopefully the fix works without breaking anything else, would solve the last possible objections I could have, though I admit I seem to have had fewer objections to this sorta replacement for the base from passcode / than some others have had.

• City Council

4 hours ago, Faultline said:

1 hour ago, ShardWarrior said:

To be fair, I think your comment here is very, very misleading and is completely ignoring valid criticism of what we are being given.  I do not think that is fair.  [...] The Oro portal itself is a simple unlock, has a brief cooldown, requires no influence and does not need to be recharged by day jobs.  [...] Personally, I would be happy with a copy of the Oro portal that goes to the base instead.

So... "one power on very short recharge, for free or very low cost" is very, very misleading, because what you want is a power that "is a simple unlock, has a brief cooldown, requires no influence and does not need to be recharged by day jobs".

We have different definitions for the word "misleading".

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ZacKing said:

If you're having trouble getting around the game after exhausting the many new options proposed in beta build 2, might I recommend reading this helpful guide: Getting around the cities. (Obviously the part about the SG passcode would be invalid now, but the rest is a great read.)

• Like 2

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

7 hours ago, ShardWarrior said:

Looking at data is fine and all, but actually playing the game with people to see how and why they are using this stuff probably makes more sense here, at least to me.

👆

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Hissatsuman, you can mainly find me on Everlasting!

10 hours ago, Faultline said:

Cap au Diable and Croatoa both put you at Universities.

Hi, my usual routine on any alt is to play game and by doing so earn xp for levels.

Then go and train and then go and craft the required IO’s at the University.

So play-train-craft.

For a long time the base beacon Croatoa portal has dropped you within spitting distance of the zone trainer. (War Witch?). Just approx 10 feet away.

Then after training it is just a hop to the Uni and a check on the way to see if Sally is about till you get her badge.

I think this is the most efficient way to level up and get back into game in the game.

Now you have moved the drop point in Croatoa to the Uni which doubles the travel out and back to the zone trainer and as an aside, also doubles the travel to the start of the Katie Hannon TF which is also up north by the current drop in point.

Given that the train station is just a straight street run line of sight to the Uni why have you now put the three travel entry/exit points so close together in the south of the zone?

Me no understandy!

Edited by Jacktar
Speling corectuns
  • Like 3

I would like to preface what little criticism I have when it comes to I27 page 1, by saying that I wholeheartedly support many of the changes that are being introduced. I also would like to thank the Developers and GMs who are sacrificing their own time to put this Issue together all while keeping this game running.

There are three issue I have that I would like to highlight:

On 10/24/2020 at 2:44 PM, Jimmy said:

The following base portals have been moved to more convenient locations:

• Kings Row
    • Moved down to ground level
  • Skyway City
    • Moved up to the small park with Synapse and Mynx, near the Monorail
  • Independence Port
    • Moved slightly to be right next to the Monorail, allowing easy access to both sides of the zone
  • Peregrine Island
    • Moved down to ground level
  • Nerva Archipelago
    • Moved slightly to be right next to the Black Helicopter line, allowing easy access to both sides of the zone
  • Grandville
    • Moved down from the top of the tower to the main square

While I understand the argument that "Rah rah travel time isn't content", the only portal among those listed even remotely inconvenient to access was the one in Grandville.
I truly hope that the Developers can reconsider the unnecessary moving of the Portals (and drop off points) from their established locations.
The portals have been where they were since they were introduced, have worked fine so far and moving them has, in my experience on Beta, not really improved anything.

The following zones have had base portals added:

There are two separate issues with certain Zones receiving Base Portals/Beacons that I would like to illustrate here:

The Shadow Shard

• Cascade Archipelago
  • Firebase Zulu
  • The Chantry
  • The Storm Palace

As it's still early in the month, I'm sure "Shardtober" is still fresh within our collective memory. Now, imagine the following, at times hyperbole laden, scenario:

It's a Dr. Quarterfield, or any of the Shard Task Forces for that matter, a nice long slog through stacks of defeat all and hunt missions that many consider to be the farthest thing from diverse mission design since Synapse.

There you are trucking through a spacious alternate dimension (a point I will return to) for multiple minutes to reach the missions only to discover that the Soldiers of Rularuu don't give a good gosh darn about your soft capped defense and grant you a Blasters-eye-view. As a defense based Tank, you aren't used to seeing the floor up close.
The Hospital is really far from the mission, and no one has an awaken, three matching inspirations or a rez for that matter because who can afford that power pick anymore.
Not to worry, you built yourself a base!

So there you are, revived in your base that you overhauled following I27 P1's release, only to find that unlike in the time before the changes, when you exit your base now, you are no longer by the mission you just went to the base from.
Remember how "Rah rah travel time isn't content"? Enjoy the trip back to the mission.

Speaking of returning to things, as I mentioned in my hyperbolic narration of why one might not want to add the Shard beacons to a base, the Shadow Shard is a dangerous alternate Dimension.
While, yes there is precedence for beacons to other dimensions thanks to Pocket D and the Wards, the entrance to Firebase Zulu is heavily guarded and controlled.
Based on the in-game lore, random uncontrolled portals to the dimension of Rularuu in private Super Group bases seem neither likely nor like a good idea.

My point here is that Shard beacons are less of a feature than they might appear at first glance, and perhaps should be rethought.

Praetoria

• Imperial City
  • Neutropolis
  • Nova Praetoria

So... Echo zones are being removed from bases, however we are getting Beacons for Zones that, following the events of the iTrials especially what transpired at the Magisterium, technically no longer exist.
Not only are we travelling to another Dimension, we are going to another Dimension in the past as far as Primal Earth is concerned, though obviously when Going Rogue (starting gold) it's a different issue.

Remove the Echo Beacons, don't remove the Echo Beacons, it doesn't really matter just please apply the reasoning used to all Zones equally. The Echo Zones can be accessed through Ouroboros, the Praetorian Zones can be accessed via the TUNNEL Network. (Even though they should probably only be accessible to blue/red characters through Ouroboros as well)

• Teleportation_Pocket_D.png.d65f61a54e481cf2a95e878e213bcfd6.png Pocket D VIP Teleporter (P2W Power)
    • This power has been removed and can no longer be earned or purchased
    • If you previously owned this power, it will automatically unlock Long Range Teleporter with Pocket D as a destination
  • Teleportation_Wentworths.png.b06db847beef10e01bfda47435fe3917.png Auction House Teleporters
    • The purchasable Auction House teleporter powers have been removed from the Auction House
    • The Auction House Day Job teleporter powers will be replaced in an upcoming build

As much as I personally welcome the limitation, and would have supported a complete elimination, of the /Enterbasefrompasscode command, as well as welcoming the changes made to Long Range Teleporter, the removal of the Auction House and Pocket D VIP Teleporters seems like overkill on a silly scale.

Not only are these features that have been present for a long time, and have always offered an additional alternative travel option across zones, they are powers that people have done something for. Whether it be spending time somewhere while both on or offline or spending influence to purchase. Heck, I still have the Physical Pocket D VIP card because I spent real money to be able to use it back in the day.
/EnterBaseFromPasscode is a method of travel that we never should have had, but have unfortunately nevertheless grown accustomed to. The trade off for changes to Long Range Teleport as well as the portable Base Portal are more than fair, however please don't remove options that had nothing to do with said command and wouldn't do any harm if they remained.

By the time you've used your VIP pass to get to Faultline via Pocket D, during the umpteenth Positron Task Force you are running, your Portable Base Portal will be recharged anyway.

In conclusion (TLDR):

• Thank you for your Work!
  • Please return the Base Portals and Beacon drop points to where you found them the last 15 years.
  • Please rethink adding Beacons to the Shadow Shard and the now destroyed Praetorian Zones
  • Please leave the Pocket D VIP Teleporter and the Auction House Teleporters in the game

Thank you for your consideration.

Edited by AureumError
Fixed phrasing
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
~Aureus Society~
~Influentiam lumine semita~