Focused Feedback: Travel Updates: Base Teleportation, Long Range Teleporter Accolade, Special TP Powers

5 minutes ago, QuiJon said:

Honestly no i have not. Because frankly my biggest problem with the changes is for personal reasons that I already know i have, and would still apply on the test server. I sent a comment to Faultline today about it directly because i didnt really feel i wanted personal business on the public forums but fine whatever i guess.

There are bigs parts of this game i can simply just not see anymore. My sight has always been challenged but in the 7 years this game was down i guess it got even worse then i remember it being. So where people might say LRTP is no big deal you only have to get one badge and one accolade. Well to most it might not be, to me i can not see icons on the map anymore. They dont have enough contrast for me to know what is what to track down badges on the vidiots overlays. This is why i only badged one character and it took me about 3 weeks to systematically work through the city to do what i used to be able to do in an afternoon. Having to rely on memory and looking up coordinates and trying to track them down that way or hoping the pictures on the wikis gave me a enough of a memory boost to remember where the badges were. 

So when the devs seem to say they dont consider it is a problem that we have one power that cost money and one power that doesnt and that SHOULD cover everyones needs, I feel like no, i really dont have those options. I tried badging 1 badge in every zone on a fresh toon and one accolade to fully open LRPT it took me about 3 and a half hours. Times 26ish characters that i play, that is alot of time i wont have to put into opening up what the devs consider to be one of the most balancing workhorse powers in this new jumble of teleport powers. 

I get and understand that things are not always going to be easy for me. And nothing is owed to me. However i dont think it is to much to ask that is something is going to be changed that does affect me in a adverse way to be told why it has to be. Example, i have a Bio Armor character, but i am not in the power set changes threads arguing about changes that might lower that sets ability because i can understand how having one armor set that is viewed as superior to the rest is a bad thing. All i have asked for here is to understand why when this game operated just fine with a no limit base teleport for over a year, why suddenly i have to lose that when the exploits can be fixed without losing it. And no one has really explained why that is the case beyond, because the devs wanted to. 

And it isnt like i am saying no limits. But i figure what if LRTP is not going to be as useful to me as other players i dont see why the base teleporter can not be up every 5 minutes for players. I figure between base teleporter, Ouro portal running every 5 minutes i can likely get around with just a slightly more difficult time then i can now. I even did pose to Faultline in my message maybe adding a common new explore badge to every zone at the public base portal. They dont have to be tied to accolades but could give credit for the LRTP of having a zones badge so that people like me that might have a difficult time badging in open zones know automatically where at least 1 badge is in every zone. But as of right now it feels like even the devs consider the LRTP to be a large part of why they feel this system is balanced. And for me anyway, that will likely be a less then useful power without spending maybe even months of play time opening it up on my characters. 

Sorry to hear about your sight issues. That is something that they probably are interested in hearing, and maybe they can help somehow. But you might want to try and test the new setup, you might find there are enough other tp powers that you don't even need the LRTP. Or maybe not, but then you'd know for sure that it's still an issue.

QuiJon:  If you are on Excelsior, I would be happy to team and TP your character to any badges in any zones you want.  I would guess that you could find similar offers on other servers.  Hell, I can always transfer a character.  If it stays as is when it goes live, send me a DM and we'll coordinate a date and time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• City Council
25 minutes ago, QuiJon said:

There are bigs parts of this game i can simply just not see anymore. My sight has always been challenged but in the 7 years this game was down i guess it got even worse then i remember it being. So where people might say LRTP is no big deal you only have to get one badge and one accolade. Well to most it might not be, to me i can not see icons on the map anymore. They dont have enough contrast for me to know what is what to track down badges on the vidiots overlays. This is why i only badged one character and it took me about 3 weeks to systematically work through the city to do what i used to be able to do in an afternoon. Having to rely on memory and looking up coordinates and trying to track them down that way or hoping the pictures on the wikis gave me a enough of a memory boost to remember where the badges were. 

Ok, this is new feedback and it actually really does help to hear this.

One thing I can say immediately is that you can unlock LRT by earning the Pocket D VIP badge, which just requires you to spend some time in Pocket D, then you only need one badge per zone - which should hopefully be a lot easier to do from memory.

Beyond that there may be some other things in Page 2 which help but they aren't a sure thing just yet.

• Like 4

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

3 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Ok, this is new feedback and it actually really does help to hear this.

One thing I can say immediately is that you can unlock LRT by earning the Pocket D VIP badge, which just requires you to spend some time in Pocket D, then you only need one badge per zone - which should hopefully be a lot easier to do from memory.

Beyond that there may be some other things in Page 2 which help but they aren't a sure thing just yet.

@QuiJon

There is an in game option, in the graphics and audio tab, that allows you increase the Gamma displayed during gameplay. This essentially increases the brightness of darker areas within the game world.

Spoiler

1516418449_GammaOption.jpg.e98167fbbeba4983830bb9114de307a7.jpg

If you're on Windows 10, there are options for higher contrast display. By typing in to the default search bar on the desktop, it brings up the 'Ease of Access' options, which allows users to increase their contrast for specific items or even the entire screen:

Spoiler

1145249624_Windows10HighContrastSettings.thumb.png.3f1e1f1bd3fee07a5cb9fac345aebc28.png

Another option, depending on the type of computer monitor you have, there are also options to increase the contrast and brightness ratio to compensate for low lighting areas in games. For example, I have a setting on my monitor called "Dark Boost" which allows me to select three separate and increasing levels of brightness in areas on my screen that are dark. I also have an adaptive contrast setting to use if the three levels don't bring the darkened areas in to focus for me.

All that being said, I am a big advocate for increasing accessibility for anyone who needs it. 

• Like 2

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

20 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

advocate for increasing accessibility for anyone who needs it.

Absolutely!

Not sure about other graphics cards, but the nvidia control panel lets you boost the contrast to ridiculous levels. (Raising gamma may actually reduce visibility for some vision types.)

Thanks, QuiJon, for bringing this up.

That's an objective measure of usability, very welcome in this sea of opinion!

• Like 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

46 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

which just requires you to spend some time in Pocket D

Does this require being on line for 5 hours in pocket D or just like a day job can you log off? Cause frankly i never found much of interest there outside of christmas time events. 

So related the Pocket D vip teleport is availible for 1m at p2w vendor if you have not gotten that badge. Will that convert to the LRTP once the issue is live if it is bought? And if it doesnt will we get anything for that power once it is removed either the million back or it converts to the 1m base teleporter etc. I have some toons i bought that one just wondering if it is a waste or a quick way to get going on the new system. Sorry if that was answered i have not seen it yet. 

4 minutes ago, QuiJon said:

5 hours in pocket D

It's an hour now, you can earn it while perusing the P2W options almost by accident.

Also, I noticed I could still use my stored Wentworth's teleport tokens on Beta. Is this intentional, or an oversight? I kind of liked it!

Edited by DoctorDitko
  • Like 1

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

24 minutes ago, DoctorDitko said:

It's an hour now, you can earn it while perusing the P2W options almost by accident.

Also, I noticed I could still use my stored Wentworth's teleport tokens on Beta. Is this intentional, or an oversight? I kind of liked it!

This. I do all of my costume changes and mids building in Pocket D and the badge accrues quickly.

• Like 1

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

1 hour ago, Bionic_Flea said:

QuiJon:  If you are on Excelsior, I would be happy to team and TP your character to any badges in any zones you want.  I would guess that you could find similar offers on other servers.  Hell, I can always transfer a character.  If it stays as is when it goes live, send me a DM and we'll coordinate a date and time.

If the Teleport pool change stays close to what it is currently on Brainstorm, I will have quite a few characters that can also help someone out with this.

• Haha 1

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

• City Council
3 hours ago, Ironblade said:

Good question.  My guess would be that a one-click macro is not possible since the system currently opens a selection window.  However, based on how the game is actually coded, this might range anywhere from 'easy enough to add' to 'not possible without a major code rewrite'.  I would be interested to see a reply from the devs on this.

The only way I can think of to make this happen is to add a toggle to Null that makes the power send you only to Pocket D, disabling all other destinations. I highly doubt anyone would actually use this, since no monorail menu means no /ebfp validation (you'd just go to Pocket D instantly).

Null is my favorite seagull ever, and more options for him is always welcome in my book.

Could it be generalized to let us set it to any specific option?

Might let whole swaths of players set things to their liking.

"Gruntle powers, activate!"

(I suggest the Gruntle power be non-resistable.)

3 hours ago, QuiJon said:

I tried badging 1 badge in every zone on a fresh toon and one accolade to fully open LRPT it took me about 3 and a half hours. Times 26ish characters that i play, that is alot of time i wont have to put into opening up what the devs consider to be one of the most balancing workhorse powers in this new jumble of teleport powers.

There may be a solution to this:  badge tours.  Paragon City Search And Rescue and The Taxibots used to do badge tours (and possibly other groups I'm not familiar with).  With this new accolade to unlock, I think that there will be a big demand for badge touring for a while.

The way it works is tour guide A invites six people to a team and Recalls them one by one onto the badge marker.  Tour guide A then invites tour guide B, makes them the leader, then drops from the team.  If it's a single zone tour, Tour guide B Recalls people to the next badge.  If it's a cross-zone tour, tour guide B Recalls them to the entrance to the next zone or a base portal, etc.  Meanwhile, tour guide A has begun inviting the next group of 6 people to a team.  This can get people the badges really fast.

Both Paragon City Search And Rescue and the Taxibots required all members to have Recall Friend (among other requirements).  I don't know if there are currently any SGs that do this - except on Everlasting, which is the only shard Paragon City Search And Rescue is currently active on.  I'm a member and I am going to post about this on our Discord and link to this post.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

6 hours ago, QuiJon said:

Honestly no i have not.

Then stop complaining until you go to Beta and check out the changes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

4 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

Then stop complaining until you go to Beta and check out the changes.

Truth! In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, QuiJon said:

There are bigs parts of this game i can simply just not see anymore.

off topic, but if they were bigger or taller would that make them easier to see? or if they were say flashing/strobing (rotating through colors/light dark)?

I'm assuming that the same graphic is pulled up for the non-plaques so maybe simple change to the graphics file for that image would be possible?

Edited by UltraAlt

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

5 hours ago, QuiJon said:

Does this require being on line for 5 hours in pocket D or just like a day job can you log off? Cause frankly i never found much of interest there outside of christmas time events. 

So related the Pocket D vip teleport is availible for 1m at p2w vendor if you have not gotten that badge. Will that convert to the LRTP once the issue is live if it is bought? And if it doesnt will we get anything for that power once it is removed either the million back or it converts to the 1m base teleporter etc. I have some toons i bought that one just wondering if it is a waste or a quick way to get going on the new system. Sorry if that was answered i have not seen it yet. 

One hour in the pocket D.

Do all your marketing and slotting there and the time accumulates quickly. 

I thought that it was the same exact power that was bought from the P2W vendor though.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Myrmidon said:

If the Teleport pool change stays close to what it is currently on Brainstorm, I will have quite a few characters that can also help someone out with this.

Return of the Taxibots!

• Like 4

23 hours ago, QuiJon said:

Then prove it.

That's rather the rub - they don't have to "prove it's overpowered" (whatever 'overpowered' even means in this context), because it's their game, not ours. 

Acceptance of this central tenet helps determine whether you continue on as-is, move on to something else, or some varied combination of those two things.

As future changes come about, data mining will aid understanding of whether or not those changes are causing the population number to increase, decrease, or remain about the same.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, retiarius said:

That's rather the rub - they don't have to "prove it's overpowered" (whatever 'overpowered' even means in this context), because it's their game, not ours. 

Which will only continue so long as people log in and donate each month to fund the servers.

I do not mean to imply that the players have any sort of ownership rights because of this, but it does mean that players have entrusted the HC devs with a responsibility and stewardship, and they can't expect continued success without some level of consideration for the wants of the playerbase.  Which to be fair, they do seem to be taking into account through the beta server and these feedback threads. 

My point is that maintaining HC's success involves a more complex relationship than just "it's their game, they get to do what they want."

• Like 2

On 10/29/2020 at 12:17 PM, Faultline said:

, and the Day Jobs being a solution to the extreme outliers that use it up to five times in 10 minutes (which happens, very, very rarely).

This is where I'll be logging out all of my characters moving forward. Then I just don't need to worry about having less access to my base. They have given plenty of options to the players still want to have access to base hopping. I'm also quite fond of the teleporter popmenu macro being introduced.

Also, Is there any way that the Fast Travel Popmenu would be able to show cooldowns?

Cause otherwise I'd still probably feel inclined to keep all the buttons on a power tray somewhere to track the cooldowns, and that is a little messy.

Edited by DreadShinobi
  • Like 1

Currently on fire.

Not completely sure, but I think maybe Pocket D on the Long Range Teleporter is only being awarded on Villains?

Whether it's Villains/Heroes or something else, 

• Now unlocks Pocket D as a Long Range Teleporter destination (and unlocks LRT if you don't already have it)

is definitely not working as intended.

Edited by Wavicle

• City Council
3 hours ago, Wavicle said:

Not completely sure, but I think maybe Pocket D on the Long Range Teleporter is only being awarded on Villains?

The requirements look correct, it doesn't care for alignment and will display Pocket D if you have either exploration badge in the Pocket D zone, Cage Fighter (Pocket D arena) or Gold Club (1 hour in Pocket D):  Requires TruckerTour owned? BigTime owned? || CageFighter owned? || GoldClub owned? ||

7 hours ago, DreadShinobi said:

Also, Is there any way that the Fast Travel Popmenu would be able to show cooldowns?

Not right now. I'll look into it after initial release when things are less busy.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Faultline said:

The requirements look correct, it doesn't care for alignment and will display Pocket D if you have either exploration badge in the Pocket D zone, Cage Fighter (Pocket D arena) or Gold Club (1 hour in Pocket D):  Requires TruckerTour owned? BigTime owned? || CageFighter owned? || GoldClub owned? ||

Not right now. I'll look into it after initial release when things are less busy.

Well I have several characters on Brainstorm now that are not receiving the PD teleport on their LRTP.