Focused Feedback: Travel Updates: Base Teleportation, Long Range Teleporter Accolade, Special TP Powers

See nothing wrong with introducing these other base teleport powers etc into the game but I must challenge the removal of the TP base macro.. I understand its not being removed but I dont understand why the need to restrict it to be in range of a base teleport. To be honest until people have said it in this thread I've never thought to use it in a mission map (I don't PVP) I literally use it to go places and I find the vendors incredibly useful. 

From a community perspective I have been on Teams where people are like "come see my base" and provide me a Macro which is really cool. 

If you can restrict it to PVP only and if you wish in Missions (I'm not sure why that really gives you an massive advantage, I would just find it a pain) then I think that would be a sensible compromise. I'm not really interested in the argument "a year ago or so they said they would be removing it" its here now and its been embedded at least in Excelsior as a cool thing to have. I'm not on these forums everyday but I've not seen posts complaining about its usage? Maybe from the PVP community?

Or I guess ultimately as another compromise you could create a teleport power that maybe has a short cooldown that lets you go to Bases?

Ultimately I have felt/seen more people provide feedback that this is a negative change over a positive one and if this is truly a feedback thread then surely something must be taken onboard about it otherwise what's the point in asking for feedback?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, freelampie said:

See nothing wrong with introducing these other base teleport powers etc into the game but I must challenge the removal of the TP base macro.. I understand its not being removed but I dont understand why the need to restrict it to be in range of a base teleport. To be honest until people have said it in this thread I've never thought to use it in a mission map (I don't PVP) I literally use it to go places and I find the vendors incredibly useful. 

From a community perspective I have been on Teams where people are like "come see my base" and provide me a Macro which is really cool. 

If you can restrict it to PVP only and if you wish in Missions (I'm not sure why that really gives you an massive advantage, I would just find it a pain) then I think that would be a sensible compromise. I'm not really interested in the argument "a year ago or so they said they would be removing it" its here now and its been embedded at least in Excelsior as a cool thing to have. I'm not on these forums everyday but I've not seen posts complaining about its usage? Maybe from the PVP community?

Or I guess ultimately as another compromise you could create a teleport power that maybe has a short cooldown that lets you go to Bases?

Ultimately I have felt/seen more people provide feedback that this is a negative change over a positive one and if this is truly a feedback thread then surely something must be taken onboard about it otherwise what's the point in asking for feedback?

Except, as has been explained over a million times over the past fifteen months (only a slight exaggeration), the removal of the base macro has zero to do with PvP.  If It wasn't for the PvP community, no one would have found out about it in the first place as they were the first people that started to use it and spread the word around.

It's going away because it was a coding hack that shouldn't have been added to the game in the first place, it is a command that only GMs and developers should have had access to, and because an absolutely massive exploit for it was discovered several weeks ago that requires its removal ASAP.  Not only that, but it also negatively impacted teams for people who didn't use the exploit.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Apparition said:

Except, as has been explained over a million times over the past fifteen months (only a slight exaggeration), the removal of the base macro has zero to do with PvP.  If It wasn't for the PvP community, no one would have found out about it in the first place as they were the first people that started to use it and spread the word around.

It's going away because it was a coding hack that shouldn't have been added to the game in the first place, it is a command that only GMs and developers should have had access to, and because an absolutely massive exploit for it was discovered several weeks ago that requires its removal ASAP.  Not only that, but it also negatively impacted teams for people who didn't use the exploit.

Except, that I haven't seen it once mentioned that it provided an exploit or that it has nothing to do with PVP. As I mentioned in my post I don't trawl these forums with a fine toothcomb but from what I could see it was mentioned about PVP..

It isn't a "hack", its a legitimate command that players have access to (whether they should or not), I've not seen any mention of an exploit, I've not seen anyone exploit it so as I've said there are many ways it could be done without banning or restricting it as I have already mentioned.

I made the honest mistake of providing feedback where I thought it was being asked for, not to worry its my last post on this matter not really interested in getting into an argument about it.

Edited by freelampie
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Jimmy said:

I can't reproduce this - would you be able to post a bug report thread with detailed reproduction steps?

If you mean the red ring doesn't appear, then unfortunately that's not something we're able to fix - it's not a proper power icon in the popmenu (same reason why /macroimage buttons don't show cooldowns).

What I’m saying, and I’ll do a real bug report later, is that clicking the button the Second time does nothing unless the LRTP button is actually in one of my trays.

Edited by Wavicle

1 hour ago, freelampie said:

You will still be able to give people a code or macro to enter your base.

And They DID give the base teleports short cooldowns. That’s exactly what they did.

5 hours ago, freelampie said:

I haven't seen it once mentioned that it provided an exploit or that it has nothing to do with PVP.

Thanks for posting your feedback!

If you search on this topic in this forum, you will find many pages discussing the exploit and PVP stuff.

No worries!

This, unfortunately, can happen in a popular topic in a forum format: it grows so swiftly, it invites a TL;DR.

Regards,

Doc

Edited by DoctorDitko
fix unintended snark

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

49 minutes ago, freelampie said:

I made the honest mistake of providing feedback where I thought it was being asked for, not to worry its my last post on this matter not really interested in getting into an argument about it.

I'm sorry people made you feel unwelcome.

Honestly, in my experience, the best way to use these threads is to leave your feedback and then ignore any replies from people who just want to tell you that you're feedbacking wrong.  The only people who ultimately matter in how feedback is implemented are the devs, and I'm sure they're reading all the posts, especially those from non-regulars who've made a special effort to come to the forums.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

• City Council
1 hour ago, Grouchybeast said:

Honestly, in my experience, the best way to use these threads is to leave your feedback and then ignore any replies from people who just want to tell you that you're feedbacking wrong.  The only people who ultimately matter in how feedback is implemented are the devs, and I'm sure they're reading all the posts, especially those from non-regulars who've made a special effort to come to the forums.

Exactly this. We are reading everything.

• Like 2

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

The Fast Travel menu seems pretty popular. Similar to the rotating binds I suggested previously, one way to help reduce concern about transport power cooldowns and limited charges would be to modify the FastTravel.mnu to append "$$enterbasefrompasscode [your fav base code]" to the end of the Command line for Base Transport, Super Group Portal, Monitor Duty Teleporter, and Rapid Response Portal (see example below). You could also do this with Long Range Teleporter if you wish. If you do, it will make use of any existing portal before using your own. It will completely preclude the use of your power and avoid unnecessary cooldowns and charge usage. Should work great on teams or in crowded areas. If any one person in the area creates a portal, everybody else can get a free ride to their favorite base.

LockedOption
    {
        DisplayName "&Base Transporter"
        Command "powexecname Base Transporter$$enterbasefrompasscode HEAVEN-95"
        Icon "Veteran_TeleportBase"
        PowerReady "Prestige.Prestige_Travel.prestige_Base_Teleport"
    }
    LockedOption
    {
        DisplayName "&Supergroup Portal"
        Command "powexeclocation forward:7 Supergroup Portal$$enterbasefrompasscode HEAVEN-95"
        Icon "Prestige_BasePortal"
        PowerReady "Prestige.Prestige_Travel.prestige_Base_Portal"
    }
    LockedOption
    {
        DisplayName "Monitor &Duty Teleporter"
        Command "powexecname Monitor Duty Teleporter$$enterbasefrompasscode HEAVEN-95"
        Icon "DayJob_Teleport"
        PowerReady "Temporary_Powers.Day_Job_Powers.Rapid_Response_Member_Teleport"
    }
    LockedOption
    {
        DisplayName "&Rapid Response Portal"
        Command "powexeclocation forward:7 Rapid Response Portal$$enterbasefrompasscode HEAVEN-95"
        Icon "DayJob_BasePortal"
        PowerReady "Temporary_Powers.Day_Job_Powers.Rapid_Response_Member_Portal"
    }

Edited by JAMMan0000
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, JAMMan0000 said:

Spoiler

The Fast Travel menu seems pretty popular. Similar to the rotating binds I suggested previously, one way to help reduce concern about transport power cooldowns and limited charges would be to modify the FastTravel.mnu to append "$$enterbasefrompasscode [your fav base code]" to the end of the Command line for Base Transport, Super Group Portal, Monitor Duty Teleporter, and Rapid Response Portal (see example below). You could also do this with Long Range Teleporter if you wish. If you do, it will make use of any existing portal before using your own. It will completely preclude the use of your power and avoid unnecessary cooldowns and charge useage. Should work great on teams or in crowded areas. If any one person in the area creates a portal, everybody else can get a free ride to their favorite base.

LockedOption
    {
        DisplayName "&Base Transporter"
        Command "powexecname Base Transporter$$enterbasefrompasscode HEAVEN-95"
        Icon "Veteran_TeleportBase"
        PowerReady "Prestige.Prestige_Travel.prestige_Base_Teleport"
    }
    LockedOption
    {
        DisplayName "&Supergroup Portal"
        Command "powexeclocation forward:7 Supergroup Portal$$enterbasefrompasscode HEAVEN-95"
        Icon "Prestige_BasePortal"
        PowerReady "Prestige.Prestige_Travel.prestige_Base_Portal"
    }
    LockedOption
    {
        DisplayName "Monitor &Duty Teleporter"
        Command "powexecname Monitor Duty Teleporter$$enterbasefrompasscode HEAVEN-95"
        Icon "DayJob_Teleport"
        PowerReady "Temporary_Powers.Day_Job_Powers.Rapid_Response_Member_Teleport"
    }
    LockedOption
    {
        DisplayName "&Rapid Response Portal"
        Command "powexeclocation forward:7 Rapid Response Portal$$enterbasefrompasscode HEAVEN-95"
        Icon "DayJob_BasePortal"
        PowerReady "Temporary_Powers.Day_Job_Powers.Rapid_Response_Member_Portal"
    }

That's not gonna work, the /ebfp command won't be able to kick in until after the teleport power activates, and then when the power goes on cooldown the popmenu option will lock and you won't be able to click it again to use the /ebfp.

1 hour ago, zenblack said:

Does anyone know where you'd get a list of the PowerReady references?

I dug around in the piggs a bit, and it looks like the powersets.bin file has the power names that would probably work with the PowerReady parameter. It's not a neat list, and it's just a guess that they would work, but that's the best I could find.

EDIT: Actually if you look in Bopper's spreadsheet of power data, the 'Full Name' column has the full names for all the player powers. If you want temp powers and such you'll probably need to check the powersets.bin file.

Edited by AboveTheChemist
added info
  • Like 1

• City Council
4 hours ago, Wavicle said:

What I’m saying, and I’ll do a real bug report later, is that clicking the button the Second time does nothing unless the LRTP button is actually in one of my trays.

Ok we've managed to reproduce this now, thank you.

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

3 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Very much so: There is no wrong way to provide feedback!

My apologies if I seemed snarky, post edited. Snark nuked. (Been a long week.)

It is ("comtraya!") better to read the whole thread, but speak your heart! Thanks!

Edited by DoctorDitko

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

Actually, a weird thought just hit me, based on a rereading of some posts.

Would it provide a spoonful of sugar if the devs added /ebp as an alias for /enterbasefrompasscode? In the most delightful way!

I know I wouldn't object.

8 hours ago, freelampie said:

It isn't a "hack", its a legitimate command that players have access to (whether they should or not),

Actually, it is a hack.  Not by us and not a malicious one, but it was created for developer use only, therefore it was not properly designed.  It was a shortcut that did not follow proper validation and design principles - which is pretty much the definition of a hack.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

21 hours ago, Ironblade said:

Actually, it is a hack.  Not by us and not a malicious one, but it was created for developer use only, therefore it was not properly designed.  It was a shortcut that did not follow proper validation and design principles - which is pretty much the definition of a hack.

I guess from what I do in real life is that a an "hack" is negative and malicious generally, so in this context I don't see it as one but I'm splitting hairs. And without knowledge of this "exploit" I can't comment on it, but if that's the case then I'm all for fixing it I just think it could be done in a better way than its currently be thought of and is why I provided said feedback.

Like I've said I've provided all feedback on this topic, I just think its a shame as I think its a neat feature that could be designed with a compromise in mind and that I feel the iteration of teleport powers with some fairly long CD (IMO) isn't the answer.

Happy hunting 🙂

2 hours ago, freelampie said:

I guess from what I do in real life is that a an "hack" is negative and malicious generally, so in this context I don't see it as one but I'm splitting hairs. And without knowledge of this "exploit" I can't comment on it, but if that's the case then I'm all for fixing it I just think it could be done in a better way than its currently be thought of and is why I provided said feedback.

Like I've said I've provided all feedback on this topic, I just think its a shame as I think its a neat feature that could be designed with a compromise in mind and that I feel the iteration of teleport powers with some fairly long CD (IMO) isn't the answer.

Happy hunting 🙂

You may not be understanding how it's being implemented but if you care to jump on the Beta and try it out yourself you'll see you don't actually lose much functionality unless you are immediately repeating the command over and over. The delay isn't that bad and in normal TF you won't notice it, in a speed TF going for record you'll have to coordinate your Supergroup portals, but even then it's doable.

• Thanks 1

I am very happy with the way travel works now on Beta, but I need to spend a little time thinking about what it will be like on live with no Freebies menu. It could be nice if there was some Account Wide badge that unlocked SOME aspect of fast travel... I guess making PD VIP account wide is asking a little much. I'm not sure what to suggest.

2 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

I am very happy with the way travel works now on Beta, but I need to spend a little time thinking about what it will be like on live with no Freebies menu. It could be nice if there was some Account Wide badge that unlocked SOME aspect of fast travel... I guess making PD VIP account wide is asking a little much. I'm not sure what to suggest.

Like earning 1mil influence for each characters so they can get a P2W fly power?

You can email yourself influence and spread some around to all your characters.

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Like 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

1 minute ago, UltraAlt said:

Like earning 1mil influence for each characters so they can get a P2W fly power?

You can email yourself influence and spread some around to all your characters.

I don’t understand what fly powers have to do with it. I’m talking about having to do all of the unlocks on all our different characters.

3 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

I don’t understand what fly powers have to do with it. I’m talking about having to do all of the unlocks on all our different characters.

This is the wrong forum to be discussing, granting powers to other characters simply because one of your other characters has unlocked that power.

So I apologize for responding.

• Like 1

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

2 hours ago, Wavicle said:

I dont think it is asking to much. The pocket d teleporter was originally a code that gave you the portal account wide. Dont see why its replacement cant be.

31 minutes ago, QuiJon said:

I dont think it is asking to much. The pocket d teleporter was originally a code that gave you the portal account wide. Dont see why its replacement cant be.

I think you are confusing the Pocket D VIP pass with the Pocket D VIP Gold Club Member Badge.

The Pocket D VIP Gold Club Member Badge was a perk for buying the Good versus Evil edition. 

This has never been on Homecoming.

The Pocket D VIP pass (which is the icon that is used for the Pocket D teleporter here on Homecoming) which was always based on spending 1 hour in the Pocket D <-- this was never account wide.

You could purchase it from the P2W vendor.

Now it falls under the Long Range Teleport power (unlocking one exploration accolade unlocks this - just ran around in Atlas for the Atlas Tour Guide Accolade and it took about 5 minutes).

To gain the Pocket D teleport under the Long Range Teleporter, you only have to have one exploration badge in the Pocket D.

This is simply not hard to do. (I am not complaining and I'm working through my 70+ characters to unlock it on all of them in preparation for the change on live)

I also forgot to point out that they are not taking away the base teleport that can take you from your base directly to the Pocket D.

Check out my post :: UltraAlt's Guide to preparing for the removal of the base teleport macro

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Like 1