Focused Feedback: Travel Updates: Base Teleportation, Long Range Teleporter Accolade, Special TP Powers

1 hour ago, Wavicle said:

That’s what Ouroboros is.

And Talos Island for Blueside.  Redside has Cap Au Diable by the north Docks and the University.  Goldside is designed to suffer.

And I can make a clone of my minimal base in under an hour.  Full set of teleporters, vendor NPCs, medbay, and storage and crafting.  Already have tested the needed changes for i27p1 and that takes about 5 minutes.  If you can master driving a toon in City, you can pick up enough base editting to do so in an aftertoon, for yourself or your Supergroup.

Note the Base still has the pieces for power and control, even though power and control were disabled back in i25.

screenshot_201114-15-22-35.thumb.jpg.787f28e3e26cab806e0901b945056717.jpg

Edited by Jacke

1 hour ago, Wavicle said:

That’s what Ouroboros is.

Ouroboros doesn’t go to all zones though, maybe that could be changed?

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

1 hour ago, Peacemoon said:

Ouroboros doesn’t go to all zones though, maybe that could be changed?

You sort of can. You could grab a mission where you know the Contact is in the zone you want to go. Then teleport to contact and drop the mission. Hack? Yes. But hacking can be fun

• Like 1

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

3 hours ago, Wavicle said:

I think it's explicitly meant to be a limited hub. If you want a more complete hub you use Bases.

I was just looking at the feedback at the beginning of the thread about too many different portal transport powers and how it is cluttered and difficult to understand, and that was my reasoning for one central hub for all players. Like a place with portals to everywhere. Somewhere for people without their own SG or base perhaps?

Like I mentioned though, I’d gate the portals until the player has learned all the exploration badges, or some other method which perhaps could be really cool (like complete the story arcs/TF of a zone to unlock transport to it).

The problem with older games is you can end up with many layers of systems and abilities and it’s becomes quite complex and needs a reset.
Just seems like a good time to standardise and think about how people are ‘suppose’ to travel around the city.

Edited by Peacemoon

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

6 hours ago, Peacemoon said:

I was just looking at the feedback at the beginning of the thread about too many different portal transport powers and how it is cluttered and difficult to understand

This is the reason the fast travel popmenu thing got implemented.

• Thanks 2

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

3 hours ago, macskull said:

This is the reason the fast travel popmenu thing got implemented.

True, I guess I'm too late! 

Retired, October 2022.

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 11:15 AM, Jimmy said:

This is simply not the case though. You have LRT and Ouro for free, and for 1 million a piece you can get a personal base transporter and a personal mission transporter. Or you can of course fly / run / jump to the nearest base portal, which after i27 will be a much more frequent option due to all the new and moved portals. Or you can opt for the day job powers. There's tons of choices available, and you definitely don't need all of them. You can pick what's right for you.

The summoned base portal is absolutely an optional luxury, the same way that the team mission transporter is (which also costs 10 million). Note that these are the team-wide powers, you are not left behind by not having them, because the entire team can make use of them.

Pushing LRTP and Ouro as the primary replacements for /ebfp assumes that the key player use for the command and replacement powers is inter-zone travel.  While I'm sure that's true for much of the playerbase, it's not true for everyone.  Many of us (RPers in particular) actually use the command more often to get to bases.

LRTP and Ouro are not replacements for my primary use of /ebfp.

Mechanically the best replacement for my needs is the day job base teleporter.  But the rate of regaining charges for this (to the exclusion of progress on other day jobs) means use will have to be carefully controlled so as to not squander charges to ensure availability when they may be needed.

16 minutes ago, Blackbird71 said:

Pushing LRTP and Ouro as the primary replacements for /ebfp assumes that the key player use for the command and replacement powers is inter-zone travel.  While I'm sure that's true for much of the playerbase, it's not true for everyone.  Many of us (RPers in particular) actually use the command more often to get to bases.

LRTP and Ouro are not replacements for my primary use of /ebfp.

Mechanically the best replacement for my needs is the day job base teleporter.  But the rate of regaining charges for this (to the exclusion of progress on other day jobs) means use will have to be carefully controlled so as to not squander charges to ensure availability when they may be needed.

There's also a p2w Base Teleporter for only 1 million inf that they have drastically improved the function of.

On 11/17/2020 at 6:28 PM, Gunrunner said:

It's semantics. 

Look, over the course of this thread I've come to accept that the changes envisaged are actually pretty good.  Been logging out next to, and using, base portals to get used to the idea again.  My point here is that in practical application, a 10 million inf pricetag is a paywall to a player who has yet to amass the discretionary income required.  Ok, it's a luxury, but it's an artificially created one. 

Admittedly, some of the replacements for /ebfp look to be a simple matter to obtain, so buying the portal will be an extravagance, little more.  What I initially took exception to in my previous post was the assumption that by an arbitrary point in their career, a given toon should be be able to purchase such luxuries.  This is not the case.  For me, it took dozens of toons, a good six months, and little help from my friends, before I could comfortably drop large sums on any particular toon, much less the whole rack.

But, one Tinpex takes half an hour and earns 25-27 million. It's not even the most efficient way of making money but how I lazily gear my characters since it also drops incarnate salvage. So one run equals at least one purple or event IO even if I do nothing else with my time.

Your friends ought to have pointed you towards how to money making. I find leveling (the time where we make the least money) usually earning me 100 mill in the two or three days it takes me to reach 50, which is when the real money making starts.

Yes, again, new players don't know these things... No one is born knowing all things. And the game does not explicitly say things like go sell your merits. But once the interest is there it's as simple as to google 'how to make money in city of heroes' and come across the wealth in information. Heck, my way of making money is the most basic possible: do TFs and sell merits. It is literally 'play the game and sell the loot that dropped', no crafting involved, no investigating the market. Just... go out and play.

I'm rambling a bit and digressing but the point I was originally trying to make is that the cost should not be used as a con. Stuff costing money and players learning how to earn currency to buy armor and weapons, or potions and scrolls, or a mount, or crafted gear, is a part of most games out there.

On 10/25/2020 at 2:48 AM, Apparition said:

As someone who has never used the base macro/slash command, and who stopped joining PUG teams because people began expecting everyone to use it, these are all positive changes to me.  Thank you!

This is me also. These changes are awesome in my opinion. The slash command always felt like cheating and made travel powers pointless.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Faultline said:

LRTP enables the use of /ebfp. Activate the power, then use your /ebfp macro and it will work just as before. 

LRTP to a base portal, then using /ebfp to get into base adds an extra zone load step.  For some of us, these loads can be rather long and tedious.  Worse than that, they can often be unstable and prone to disconnects/game crashes (yes I'm sending crash logs when this happens).  Anything that increases the number of zone loads required to get some where is a negative.

And as noted previously, the 10 minute cooldown makes relying solely on LRTP an issue.  I've often done 2-3 base portal transitions back to back, and easily 4 in under 10 minutes as a regular practice.

• City Council
3 minutes ago, Blackbird71 said:

LRTP to a base portal, then using /ebfp to get into base adds an extra zone load step.

On 10/24/2020 at 1:44 PM, Jimmy said:
    • Long Range Teleporter can also take you to your base, and allows you to use /enterbasefrompasscode to enter any base

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

• Jimmy locked this topic
  • Booper unfeatured this topic