City of Variety

Aeroprism

There is one thing CoH has and does not have. 

Variety.

It has variety in giving us the ability to create hundreds of truly different characters, allowing us to keep experimenting the content in new, different ways.

And it has various content in the form of many, many types of enemy groups and map sets.

Unfortunately for that second part, this is true for unique story arcs only.  

Suggestion: incorporate more maps/tilesets/enemy groups in the generic missions.  Like it or not, the bulk of non-arc contact missions and radio missions are essentially the same maps and enemies over and over again. It's Council, Arachnos, CoT. It's a cave, a warehouse or an office building.

Yesterday we were doing blue side level 30-ish Marchand Provost arc, fighting those corrupted enemies and seeing hamidon maps and longbow bases and we all agreed:  This should happen more often.

The content is already there! Just disseminate it! CoH is a journey game, make the journey even more exciting!

• Like 2

The late-life development of quality over quantity was starting to show as the legacy servers came to an end. But the game is still dragging around a lot of content with the opposite mindset. It's pretty clear that HC are following suit. The new blueside arc on beta is full of surprises (yet to try the redside one, but it's the one thing that has me most excited).

I'd love to see every arc given its own flair. It's just a huge undertaking.

• Like 2

On 10/26/2020 at 1:38 AM, Aeroprism said:

Suggestion: incorporate more maps/tilesets/enemy groups in the generic missions.  Like it or not, the bulk of non-arc contact missions and radio missions are essentially the same maps and enemies over and over again. It's Council, Arachnos, CoT. It's a cave, a warehouse or an office building.

Not that this is a bad suggestion at all (in fact it makes sense to me)..but..since coming back to CoX, I have done literally..under 10 radio/paper missions. That is over 50 odd alts, most getting to 50. There is just SO many story arcs too do, the only time I do radios/papers is to get mayhem and bank mission temps.

On 10/25/2020 at 12:37 PM, Aeroprism said:

I agree with you but what I ask is actually the exact opposite: the arcs are already mostly awesome. It's the run-of-the-mill stuff that needs to be diversified.

Even something as simple as what I refer to as "Door Diversification" would go a ways toward expanding the feel of the game. Everyone's been trick-or-treating, either in this event, the previous one, or back on live; you know how many functional doors there are in the zones. But, somehow, you only ever get sent to a small fraction of them for door missions. If there were some way to add more of the doors in the zones to the 'valid mission doors' list, it would contribute to the feel of variety. Not a final solution, but a step.

38 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

Even something as simple as what I refer to as "Door Diversification" would go a ways toward expanding the feel of the game. Everyone's been trick-or-treating, either in this event, the previous one, or back on live; you know how many functional doors there are in the zones. But, somehow, you only ever get sent to a small fraction of them for door missions. If there were some way to add more of the doors in the zones to the 'valid mission doors' list, it would contribute to the feel of variety. Not a final solution, but a step.

I agree with this. It weirds me out when I get multiple missions that point to the exact same door. There are *so* many doors on each map, the RNG has to be weighted in some weird way to get the same door over and over again.

45 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

*Glares at St. Marital's four doors for all warehouse related missions*

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

7 hours ago, ZorkNemesis said:

*Glares at St. Marital's four doors for all warehouse related missions*

I haven't even been to those doors since HC appeared and yet I can still clearly see at least two of them in my mind all these years later.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 10/25/2020 at 3:37 PM, Aeroprism said:

I agree with you but what I ask is actually the exact opposite: the arcs are already mostly awesome. It's the run-of-the-mill stuff that needs to be diversified.

They are run-of-the-mill because they are run-of-the-mill missions. 

As you say, there are arcs for what you are looking for.

The reward for doing the Run-of-the-mill scanner missions is the safeguard mission.

The AE is there with access to most of the maps. You can make new villain groups if you like.

If you know what you are looking for, you can build it in the AE if you are not seeing it in the rest of the game.

The DEVs are players. You are a player. Create.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

13 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

The DEVs are players. You are a player. Create.

I tried my hand at AE when it originally came out. It's fun, but I honestly don't have the time to invest. Family + career, all I have left is the little time I'd rather spend playing the game.

Though I need to explore the existing AE content more. There has to be a few hidden gems behind the legions of farms. 

1 minute ago, Aeroprism said:

Though I need to explore the existing AE content more. There has to be a few hidden gems behind the legions of farms. 

Try some of the Dev choice missions.  Every month or so they pick a couple missions/story arcs made by players and showcase them in the patch notes (look for patch posts with "Dev Choice" in the title under Announcements).  They're usually high quality writing and gameplay and not just endless farms.

• Like 1

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.