First Ever Homecoming Base Contest - The Results!

GM ColdSpark

• Community Rep

My questions have thus far not been answered. I'm slightly deterred, but still hopeful...

Out of curiosity, are any of the GMs also base builders?  I was just giving a tour, and realized, as I answered for the umpteenth time that no, the ping pong table and the air hockey table are not items in the editor, and pointed out as I always do that the windows in the ready room and the captain's quarters are not actually windows, but created stars, that when they said, "point out anything you want us to be sure and see", I should have mentioned these things!  My thought was that they wanted to know about secret areas, and I was sure to point out some areas that were only accessible from certain locations, but did not think to point things like the air hockey table and the windows, even tho I regularly mention them on tours, doh. But other base builders know which are and are not items from the editor.

I'm hoping at least some of the GMs do base editing, but, in the future, for any base contests (probably anywhere), should we just assume no base editing knowledge is held by the judges, and be sure to point out not just things that could be easily passed by, but things that we are proud of because they look as good as something ready made from the editor? I'm kind of putting this out there because it only just today occurred to me at all, and I bet there are other bases where something looks just like it should, and so people don't even realize it's a created item, not  ready made. Not a big deal ordinarily, but possibly a bit of a deal if you're being judged on what you've put together.

(Posting pic to remind you what they look like and show those who haven't seen, so they know what I'm talking about.)

loungeairhockypingpong.thumb.png.b8bf6225bd6ceaaf9097d6a93ebb178f.png

-Dacy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/12/2020 at 7:46 PM, Dacy said:

Contest winners! I was wondering, what don't people know when they tour your bases? What was especially challenging? What, if any, tricks did you use to make something work? What's your favorite part of your base or thing you accomplished in the base, and why?

-Dacy

I don't think many people knew that you can fly all the way up and out a chute and view the Indohub Club from any angle and it all looks awesome! (yes, of course I'm biased) I'm big on forced perspective, getting that perfect view and making the atmosphere juuuuust so.

screenshot_201118-08-48-06.jpg

screenshot_201118-08-48-32.jpg

• Like 4

• Community Rep

Very cool, @Freedumbite! And I love your desire to have it just so, I can say that is quite familiar to me!

And thank you for sharing that one. I'll go, and maybe some others will chime in:

Things you wouldn't know just touring the space ship (Excelsior, ONES-5030): To cover the outside of the base like I did is a bit of a challenge, with the rule of having to have part of the item in a room. Angling some things helped, so the sides weren't that hard, as long as I had items big enough. There aren't many items large enough, but definitely the hardest part was covering the front and the back.  In the front, I used curved pieces, and these pieces were being very difficult to work with. Not content with the regular "one bit in the room" rule, they insisted that they could get no where near the wall. So, I had to come up with a workaround, because these were really the only pieces I could use. What I did was added a room to the place where I wanted to place the object. I'd place it where I wanted it, which was essentially in the doorway between rooms. Then I'd delete the room I added. Most of the time, unless I'd gotten too far from the first room, the object stayed! I can only guess that the programming, when items are placed in between rooms, decides which room the item belongs to, so it's deleted or kept based on that assignment if the room is deleted. This trick allowed me to place the front pieces so that the wall did not show, and place the back piece entirely upright without it showing through the walls, plus all of the other bits I put on the back end to make engines. But when you are inside in the gym or theater, which is right up next to that wall, you won't see anything showing through.frontship.thumb.png.c6bcc29cf450120c1895b7cb1dd0153a.png1722976914_backofship.thumb.png.ad691bc591fceddee4597b2005b9a50e.png

And I'm very proud of my air hockey table (see post prior to these) and ping pong table, and the windows I made that have "stars" and seem like you're looking out into space. Partly because those are very labor intensive. 😉

-Dacy

Edited by Dacy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later
On 11/16/2020 at 6:20 AM, Clave Dark 5 said:

As I said in the original thread, these are indeed jaw-dropping, now we need to get stuff like these into the main stream of the game...somehow.

Congratulations to everyone who entered!

Hear, hear! 👍  If there's anyway possible to unleash these people into designing new instanced mission environments, please give them the tools and unleash them!

• Like 3

• Arcanum unpinned and featured this topic