Name Purge

Ruin Mage

unknown.png

What in the world is that argument that you're trying to make.

For some people, a name matters. It might be quite jarring to see xXSephirothXx for a superhero that's all about controlling elemental forces.

• Like 1

unknown.png

alright buddy, it's time to shit yourself
casts earthquake, activates dispersion bubble

3 hours ago, ZacKing said:

So long as people serving in the military who are out on deployment can be made exempt, go for it.

I get what you're saying. They'll be away from home / unable to log in for long periods of time, and if they risked their necks to try to keep the world safe, it would feel pretty raw to have a character their very emotionally invested into just ripped away from them upon return.

But honestly, there's no way Homecoming devs are going to know or be able to check which accounts are held by military personnel. Who was deployed on what date, who returned on what date.  And if it's turned into an honor system "check this box if you affirm that you are being deployed" somewhere in the account profile, I guarantee you, it won't just be checkboxed by people who are actually military personnel. No matter how much it might offend. Some people would see it in purely transactional "if I check this box, my names are mine forever, even if I log out for a year to play <game name here> and come back later. if I don't check it, I could lose my names." and choose to check it. 

There isn't going to be any feasible way to do what you're asking and to restrict it to only one group of people in a given real life profession.

EDIT: The only solution i can really see, and it's not reliable, is if you're going to be deployed, give your account info to a civilian friend or relative you trust unconditionally and have them log in your characters once every two months or something.

Edited by MTeague
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Shadeknight said:

Why should military people be exempt from a name purge in a video game?

Like, there's nothing that special about folks in the military that they should get an exempt card from a theoretical name purge.

That right there will not win you points anywhere, and the entire point of what you're asking sounds slightly selfish, but of course that's my opinion tho, and my answer to this request would be a firm NO. Its not for me to decide, nonetheless, and yet I felt the need to drop my 2 cents.

Edited by Panthonca7034
Edit 1: Additional clarification

if i was making this entirely to get a single name, i'd be pretty lame.

name purges need to happen for the general population, that kind of goes hand in hand with why its being asked for.

also not trying to win any points, there's nothing special that should make anyone exempt from the ruling that HC had in mind except for getting to level 50.

unknown.png

Honestly, I don't expect very many names to be freed up even if the Name Release Policy is coded and activated.

I think a lot of people are HOPING that many names will be freed up.

But I suspect many names will be held by a lvl 50, and not freed. Or it will turn out that the name holder DOES still play, and just plays at wierd hours when you don't see them and chooses not to respond to any email entreaties asking them to consider a name change.

That said, I'd still like to see the Name Release Policy put in place so I can stop seeing a thread on it every couple of weeks  🙂

• Like 3

Here we go again... 

There are a few people here who adamantly insist that they should never, ever have to give up a name... even one held on a level 1 placeholder character they'll never play... for any reason whatsoever. And yes, they think that somehow members of the military are owed special consideration above and beyond other players.

Edited by Coyotedancer
  • Like 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

No one is owed special consideration, imo.

Ideally, a time limit would be set to all levels rather than level 50s getting a get out of jail free card.

But alas, we do not live in an ideal world.

unknown.png

7 hours ago, Shadeknight said:

Like, there's nothing that special about folks in the military that they should get an exempt card from a theoretical name purge.

You mean other than risking their lives in service of their country so you are afforded the privilege to sit at home safe and play video games?  They are gone for long periods of time and are unable to login.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, MTeague said:

EDIT: The only solution i can really see, and it's not reliable, is if you're going to be deployed, give your account info to a civilian friend or relative you trust unconditionally and have them log in your characters once every two months or something.

Does this not fall under account sharing which as I recall is against the rules?

The problem with affording military members exemptions is it would have to go for everyone. Not just american Military members.

But then one could make an argument for anything that takes them away for a while. new child is born, etc. It's a slippery slope.

I respect the troops, but to give them and them alone an exemption is not good design.

unknown.png

1 hour ago, Shadeknight said:

The problem with affording military members exemptions is it would have to go for everyone. Not just american Military members.

Fine by me.  I have no issue with that at all personally.  I am sure there will be those on here who will villify anyone who agrees. 

Alright, so military people get an exemption.

What about lawyers?
What about doctors?
What about teachers?

They're just as important.

My argument is this:
We do not need to put anyone on a pedestal and thus exempt them on a private server for a video game.
It opens a can of worms that would be hell to enforce.

Because how do you prove someone is part of the military and isn't using buyable military uniforms?

Exemptions shouldn't exist for the name policy in the first place, but that's just my cold take.

unknown.png

3 minutes ago, Shadeknight said:

Alright, so military people get an exemption.

What about lawyers?
What about doctors?
What about teachers?

They're just as important.

My argument is this:
We do not need to put anyone on a pedestal and thus exempt them on a private server for a video game.
It opens a can of worms that would be hell to enforce.

Because how do you prove someone is part of the military and isn't using buyable military uniforms?

Exemptions shouldn't exist for the name policy in the first place, but that's just my cold take.

Fine by all of those as well.

Hmn.

The fact you're fine by all of those unironically (unless you're shitposting, in which case: good on you, you got me there) is harrowing and hilarious at the same time.

This baffles me.

Forums were a mistake.

Edited by Shadeknight

unknown.png

Time to get creative.

I have names that I had on live that I can't get on the servers that I want to game on.

I don't complain about it. I just make another name.

If people are squatting names, that sucks.

Use it; if you've got it.

I used to have the same character name on all the live servers for one character name and on a bunch of them for another.

I played all the characters, just some more than others - but that goes for all my alts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

13 hours ago, Shadeknight said:

unknown.png

What in the world is that argument that you're trying to make.

For some people, a name matters. It might be quite jarring to see xXSephirothXx for a superhero that's all about controlling elemental forces.

Military personnel are idled through no fault of their own.

Would you like to come back from a 6-12 month deployment, FINALLY get back to kicking ass and find your "UberGuy" renamed to "Generic135438"?

• Like 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

Live had a name policy, all I'm asking for is one on HC - be it the one I last remember hearing about or some modified one.

Hyper, I'm asking for no one to be put on a pedestal just because of what they do as a line of work/living. Military people are no more special than a doctor, a lawyer, a teacher, or what have you. Exemptions should either exist for all jobs/ways of life or none at all. There's also a very big issue with trying to put one group on a pedestal; It's very very easy to fake being part of the military. Having HC verify that just so one can be exempt from any name policy is dumber than dumb.

EDIT:
It should also be noted that unless you have a bunch of level 1-10 toons, the last proposed policy was PRETTY generous as you got higher in level.
Under HC's last proposed policy, Level 50s were exempt (which I think is a mistake, but eh)

Edited by Shadeknight
  • Like 2

unknown.png

9 hours ago, Shadeknight said:

No one is owed special consideration, imo.

This is also an argument AGAINST name purges as well.

Because that's what a name purge is.

Special consideration because you didn't get to a name first.

I didn't get to "Hyperstrike" on any server but Indomitable.
Did I make a fuss about that?
Nope.

As for "no more special".

As a Vet, I'm simply going to disagree and walk away from this discussion before I upset either of us.

Happy Heroing.

Edited by Hyperstrike
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

33 minutes ago, Shadeknight said:

Hmn.

The fact you're fine by all of those unironically (unless you're shitposting, in which case: good on you, you got me there) is harrowing and hilarious at the same time.

This baffles me.

Forums were a mistake.

Being unable to find a different name baffles me.  The very same people complaining about names are the very same people complaining about others making homage characters and belittling the players who make them as "not creative enough".

A name policy that releases inactive name harms no one and benefits everyone. Because not everyone wants to have to look up some google translate name to make a character's name just to get around the name they desired not being available.

I'm trying to find where HC posted the policy they had in mind but its like the forums ate it.

Edited by Shadeknight

unknown.png

FOUND IT.

unknown.png
This policy is what we could do. It's the one proposed in 2019.

That's SUPER generous, but I'd want to modify it personally.

Edited by Shadeknight
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

unknown.png

18 minutes ago, Shadeknight said:

Live had a name policy, all I'm asking for is one on HC - be it the one I last remember hearing about or some modified one.

Hyper, I'm asking for no one to be put on a pedestal just because of what they do as a line of work/living. Military people are no more special than a doctor, a lawyer, a teacher, or what have you. Exemptions should either exist for all jobs/ways of life or none at all. There's also a very big issue with trying to put one group on a pedestal; It's very very easy to fake being part of the military. Having HC verify that just so one can be exempt from any name policy is dumber than dumb.

EDIT:
It should also be noted that unless you have a bunch of level 1-10 toons, the last proposed policy was PRETTY generous as you got higher in level.
Under HC's last proposed policy, Level 50s were exempt (which I think is a mistake, but eh)

As far as I know there is one.

If you are under level 10 and you haven't logged in for 20 days or something, the name is up for grabs.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.