Things I Learned the Hard Way

Shocktacular

1 hour ago, Luminara said:

HEALTH.  BAR.  LOOK.  AT.

The Preventive Medicine proc is useful as a "start paying attention to your health!" warning system because, well, I don't.

Boring but I did learn it the hard way: builds that were good on early live (when I played) are now thoroughly mediocre. IO sets changed the game.

Edited by Gulbasaur
  • Like 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

1 hour ago, Luminara said:

Travel powers aren't necessary.

Turn off Sprint.

These seem odd to have in same post 🤔

Is there a reason to turn sprint off, or is that a joke?

Edited by Nerio72
Didn't actually comment 🙄

6 hours ago, Jolly Ogre said:

Well I do Catalyze the heal, res, and def, procs that I get at lvl 50 and put them in my base for my alts to be able to use them as they lvl up. 

I do this, too, but I usually leave the rest for 50 so I can boost them unless I really, really need the set bonuses on that particular character.  If I do end up catalyzing them, I usually remove the catalyzed version for a boostable version after hitting 50.

Also, wow, up for 12 hours and already on page 2!

Want more from Praetoria? Check out my level 40+ Praetoria missions in AE! I've got 3 complete arcs, with a 4th in the works!
Praetorians can get to AE in Pocket D by going through Studio 55.

15 minutes ago, Nerio72 said:

I usually only turn sprint off if I'm running out of endurance.  Which reminds me...

• If you're running out of endurance all the time, make sure you turn sprint off!  It's amazing how much that helps.

Want more from Praetoria? Check out my level 40+ Praetoria missions in AE! I've got 3 complete arcs, with a 4th in the works!

Forgot one.

- If you're spamming Rebirth for heal farming, turn off Afterburner.

• Haha 2

Playing on Excelsior. Champion forever.

50s: Placta • elec/elec blaster // Rye Lily IV • mind/psi dominator // PLACT-A • bots/ff mastermind // Danielle Connelly • elec/elec dominator // Acme Coin Rink • ice/cold controller // Yin Blazer • psi/wp scrapper // Chalky Webs • db/sr stalker // Ultra Lance • kin/en scrapper // Eye Shell Coda • elec/elec tanker // Mind Wanna Fly • psy/emp corruptor

Others: Virtual Lines • peacebringer • 43 // Favours Green • plant/nat controller • 39 // Clear Corn Ion • elec/storm controller • 34 // Hum a Crypt • claws/regen scrapper • 29 // By Her Ant • psy/ment blaster • 24 // Clean a Hall Arch • shield/sword tanker • 19 // Paler Vow • ninjas/ta mastermind • 10 // more...

1. Farming out the "Damage Taken" badges is much faster using the double stacked fire method in Mercy Isle.
  2. When building a SG base, the "Attach to floor" technique is excellent for positioning items at the perfect angle. Especially so when using the "Floor Tile" item as your floor. Big time-saver.
  3. Use the P2W [Recovery Serum] to solve endurance problems.
  4. Always bring a Mastermind to the Barracuda SF, unless you enjoy fighting an untouchable regenerating Reichsman for 2 Hrs.
  5. /selectbuild 2

Edited by Giovanni Valia
  • Thanks 2

Excelsior Server: Giovanni Valia, Operative Velez, Fortunata Valeri, LongFang Mercer

SG: Shades of Arachnos; 315-6811

1 hour ago, Placta said:

Forgot one.

- If you're spamming Rebirth for heal farming, turn off Afterburner.

???  What's the story here?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nerio72 said:

The travel power comment hearkens back to I5, when I started experimenting with skipping travel powers completely.  I slotted up Hurdle and used that instead, and found that it was comparable to Fly in speed.  With IOs set bonuses, Hurdle can surpass Fly's speed sans Afterburner.  My main is sitting at almost 66 mph Jump speed.

New players, which included every one of us at some point, tend to turn on Sprint and forget that it's on until we run out of endurance and it shuts off.  Sprint is also rarely slotted for anything more than a Stealth IO mule, so the endurance cost, in concert with active use of powers (attacking), leads to that moment of realization that we might have survived if we'd paid a little more attention to our toggles and turned off what we didn't need.  It's a lesson typically learned around level 4 or 5, when there's a Hellion or Skull gnawing on our corpses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

52 minutes ago, Shocktacular said:

???  What's the story here?

Forming for a ship raid, I was standing in the middle of the league with Rebirth on auto. Then we took off, got to the first pylon and I couldn't activate powers.

Afterburner makes you Only Affecting Self.

I had it on the whole time.

I wondered why the badge progress bar didn't seem to move.

Edited by Placta
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Playing on Excelsior. Champion forever.

50s: Placta • elec/elec blaster // Rye Lily IV • mind/psi dominator // PLACT-A • bots/ff mastermind // Danielle Connelly • elec/elec dominator // Acme Coin Rink • ice/cold controller // Yin Blazer • psi/wp scrapper // Chalky Webs • db/sr stalker // Ultra Lance • kin/en scrapper // Eye Shell Coda • elec/elec tanker // Mind Wanna Fly • psy/emp corruptor

Others: Virtual Lines • peacebringer • 43 // Favours Green • plant/nat controller • 39 // Clear Corn Ion • elec/storm controller • 34 // Hum a Crypt • claws/regen scrapper • 29 // By Her Ant • psy/ment blaster • 24 // Clean a Hall Arch • shield/sword tanker • 19 // Paler Vow • ninjas/ta mastermind • 10 // more...

Super Reflexes does not make you the dodge god, till you spent over 200 million into the set.....

When making a Rock tank...don't spend hours on character creation, passed 32, you'll forget what your costume looks like.

Bio armor goes from cool initially, to really ugly.

Flight is the slowest TP, learned this extensively from a friend who made a Kryptonian  themed super back in the day....not his happiest times.

Claws...just don't pick it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Placta2 said:

(Honestly, Self Destruct is probably best left on the P2W menu. You can use it on a Master task force run, or at least it's not grayed out. I can't imagine that would end well for you, even ignoring the "you blowing up" part.)

- Unbind R from autorun.

- Just because you can run into melee and grab everyone's attention doesn't make it a good idea. Tanks, fine. Lowbie blasters, ouch.

Truth, in my case it was a Lowbie claws/SR scrapper about i4 looking at a bunch of Pumucites.  I switched auto run to '[' after that.

5 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Careful placing procs in powers which don't cause aggro (i.e. don't notify the foe.) Such as Smoke.  You may end up "notifying the mob".  

Also some procs causes the power's intended effect to not immediately work.  For instance damage procs in Fearsome Stare will cause the feared enemies to retaliate immediately instead of cowering until they get hit.  They'll cower after, but if you use it as an opener you might end up taking the alpha and on a squishy support role that's not always ideal.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

When Elude runs out in MLTF in the middle of fighting Wretch, you become a microwave burrito.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

4 hours ago, killigraphy said:

Super Reflexes does not make you the dodge god, till you spent over 200 million into the set.....

Flight is the slowest TP, learned this extensively from a friend who made a Kryptonian  themed super back in the day....not his happiest times.

Claws...just don't pick it.

Damn. I wish I read that when I made a Claws/Super Reflexes Scrapper...in Praetoria!

Also, sure it's the SLOWEST Travel Power, but have you ever tried Super Speed in Echo: Faultline or the Shadow Shard? You'll thank me later if you ever try the last one.

• Like 1

I had superspeed when that wasn't an Echo.  I was young, it was fast, there was suddenly no ground...if I had a tiny sign I'd have done a Wile E. Coyote impression.

Edited by Darmian
  • Haha 5

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

Speaking of Praetoria...my main Goldsider is a Mind Controller, with Empathy as second.  EMPATHY!  2/3 of the powers are for team use! What the hell was I thinking?

(So now I only have 4 powers in that and a mix of Force of Will and Psionic Mastery because ... well because.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

7 hours ago, Nerio72 said:

Huh. Never occurred to me that sprint might be an end hog. Thanks for the info all! 🙂

On those characters I keep on the ground, I've learned to drop one end redux onto sprint to compensate for my forgetfulness.

Learned the hard way not to take an under-50's team to do a league's job again the giant robot in Boomtown.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CursedSorcerer said:

Also, sure it's the SLOWEST Travel Power, but have you ever tried Super Speed in Echo: Faultline or the Shadow Shard? You'll thank me later if you ever try the last one.

I'm with you on this one.  I know flight is the slowest travel power, but to me full control of travel in 3 dimensions is worth it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1