Level 49 Power Choice

Brizzle

Hello Homecoming fam,

I currently have a level 49 Mind Control/Energy Assault Dom and am having a hard time choosing that last power at 49.  I currently have:

Primary: Mesmerize, Dominate, Confuse, Total Domination, Terrify, Mass Confusion

Secondary: All ranged attacks, Power Boost, Whirling Hands

Leaping: Combat Jumping, Super Jump

Speed: Hasten

Leadership: Maneuvers, Tactics, Vengeance

Concealment: Stealth, Invisibility

Ice Mastery: Sleet, Hibernate

I think the reason why I am having a tough time choosing is because I want to make good use of those last 3 enhancement slots.  So, either take something that's pretty good out of the box with minimal slotting OR something that could perform relatively well with 3 - 4 enhancement slots after hitting 50.  I have thought about Mass Hypnosis, Telekinesis, Frozen Armor, Hoarfrost, but honestly would like to hear from some of you guys who have more experience playing that I do.  

TY all in advance for the advice!

UPDATE: Reading a recent thread about the same build, I could drop Leaping for Force of Will and take Weaken Resolve, Mighty Leap and Unleash Potential....

Edited by Brizzle

Grant Invis, for the LotG +Rech and put those lvl 50 slots wherever you want to.

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

Frozen Armor. Defense to S/L is useful, it takes a LotG IO, and it can slot unique IOs from both Defense and Resist sets. You should be using slots in earlier power like CJ, Maneuvers, or Stealth to get the Defense IOs in so they're available earlier, but since you didn't take the Fighting pool, this is your only place to slot the +Resist IOs. 4 slots in it gets you LotG +Recharge, LotG Def/End, and the two +Def Resist IOs.

• Like 1

Frozen Armor for its defense (2-3 LotGs) and slotting the three uniques. 

I suspect you already have five LotG+Rech (in CJ, Maneuvers, Veng, Stealth and Invis), so I would then drop Invis too and get Hoarfrost. You could also get Super Speed instead of SJ, with a stealth proc in Sprint for full invisibility, which allows you to drop Stealth for Hover as a LotG mule, and give you vertical movement.

If you respec after hitting 50, you can 6-slot your level 49 power. I would consider Ice Storm, since /Energy has no ranged AoE. Also recommend Frozen Armor. If you've got Power Push, I would drop that.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender

Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper | Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel

I definitely agree you should get Frozen Armor.  And there is a Minimal FX option if you don't want to see the big bulky ice.

But I'd also recommend getting Total Focus in there somewhere, so you can activate Energy Focus mode more easily.  it doubles the damage of whirling hands, i believe.

I'd drop either Power Push or Power Blast, it's a little redundant.  I personally like Push's FX animation better, and I like having a reliable knockback for special occasions (or knockdown, with the IO).  Power Bolt, Burst, Sniper Blast, Mesmerize, and Dominate should be plenty to keep a ST attack chain going. 

9 hours ago, capricorpse said:

I definitely agree you should get Frozen Armor.  And there is a Minimal FX option if you don't want to see the big bulky ice.

But I'd also recommend getting Total Focus in there somewhere, so you can activate Energy Focus mode more easily.  it doubles the damage of whirling hands, i believe.

I'd drop either Power Push or Power Blast, it's a little redundant.  I personally like Push's FX animation better, and I like having a reliable knockback for special occasions (or knockdown, with the IO).  Power Bolt, Burst, Sniper Blast, Mesmerize, and Dominate should be plenty to keep a ST attack chain going. 

This. You definitely want Total Focus. Beta is currently gutting the Whirling Hands buff but Bonesmasher and Power Burst will still get a damage buff (as-is on Beta Whirling gets an instant recharge, which is pretty useless on a Domi. No, I don't know why changing how the power buff works totally makes sense either).

Total Focus is also a nice spot for 4 Kinetic Combats, for a bit extra S/L. 

I dropped Power Blast personally (and left Power Bolt unslotted and unloved). Between your Hold, Sniper, Power Burst & Power Push you've still got a good ranged chain on any Domi with enough recharge for permadom. 

• Like 1

I'd have to agree you'll really want to pick up Total Focus, it's the crux of the powerset.  The blasts are nice but you don't really need them all, the last few are mighty nice.  Personally I'd drop vengeance but still keep tactics, the tohitt buff is really helpful in every power you use.  Someone else on the team is bound to have Vengeance too plus you can make up that Gambler +recharge somewhere else if needed.  As for Ice Mastery the best powers to me are Sleet, Ice Shield and Hoarfrost.  

Edited by Mezmera

In general: my lvl 49 power choice is going to be one where I can slot an IO piece with a Global effect that I can't slot anywhere else (or otherwise free up a slot choice). For certain ATs, this is often a power to slot Resistance IO Global pieces. For a Dominator chasing Global recharge, a power that accepts a Defense global recharge (Luck of the Gambler) is as close to being a no-brainer as possible (assuming you don't already have five of them).

On a Dominator build I was just reviewing, the lvl 47 power took the Gladiator's Armor global and the the lvl 49 power has Luck of the Gambler, each with only a single slot.