Focused Feedback: Stance Selection

Jimmy

I absolutely love the new athletic run option, thank you so much for adding that.

I was tinkering with revoking Beast Run and buying Athletic Run, and vice versa, and it all seemed to work fine but I did get a P-string when I revoked Athletic Run (see screenshot).

atheltic_revoke.jpg.7a820972b3c512d4d60345f8b4dc26ad.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Love the idea behind this.  Love Athletic Run.

I would prefer it if we just got three toggle powers: Ninja Stance, Beast Stance, and Slide Stance.  They would be mutually exclusive, zero-cost toggles, either inherent or available through P2W, that do what the stance power does now, but you could then, you know, change between them at will.  If you want the current status quo of "one stance all the time," great, you can get that, just toggle the power on and forget it.  But if you want to sometimes be in one stance but not all the time, you get it.

I guess the current way does make it easy for werewolf-style characters to get a human-form costume and a beast-form costume, but you could do that easily with a macro, or just two clicks, in the "several toggles" system.

Anyway, current change is way better than status quo, thanks!

I don't understand what the point of choosing Default for the stance power would be, if powers like Ninja Run still overwrite your chosen stance when toggled on? Isn't Default what we should have all the time?

Edit: Suggestion: Whirlwind animation as a stance choice!

Edited by Vanden
  • Haha 1

Thank you for adding more customization options!

The various stances cannot be previewed in the tailor's power preview screen.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

• City Council
30 minutes ago, aethereal said:

I would prefer it if we just got three toggle powers: Ninja Stance, Beast Stance, and Slide Stance.  They would be mutually exclusive, zero-cost toggles, either inherent or available through P2W, that do what the stance power does now, but you could then, you know, change between them at will.

This was shot down because you'd have to retoggle your stance every time you die.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For existing characters with beast/ninja run, can those powers be traded back at P2W for the new one, similar to what can be done with the lowbie veteran attack powers? 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

• City Council
36 minutes ago, Vanden said:

I don't understand what the point of choosing Default for the stance power would be, if powers like Ninja Run still overwrite your chosen stance when toggled on? Isn't Default what we should have all the time?

Edit: Suggestion: Whirlwind animation as a stance choice!

Default just means you've not chosen another stance - If you don't want it to be overridden then you can use Athletic Run instead.

2 minutes ago, Heraclea said:

For existing characters with beast/ninja run, can those powers be traded back at P2W for the new one, similar to what can be done with the lowbie veteran attack powers? 

Yup. If you don't own Ninja Run or Beast Run it's free. If you own either then it costs 1m inf (exactly the same way that Ninja / Beast run work right now).

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

2 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Default just means you've not chosen another stance - If you don't want it to be overridden then you can use Athletic Run instead.

Oh I get it - Stance is an auto power, that you don't have to toggle on. That wasn't mentioned in the patch notes.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Vanden said:

Oh I get it - Stance is an auto power, that you don't have to toggle on. That wasn't mentioned in the patch notes.

Yes, don't have to toggle on/can't toggle off.

1 hour ago, Faultline said:

This was shot down because you'd have to retoggle your stance every time you die.

I get this.  If you really just completely want to live in a stance forever and ever, the auto-power is more convenient.

I see that mainly for beast run.  Surely not even the ninja-iest ninja who ever ninjaed literally wants to be in ninja stance all the time?  Similarly, characters who straight up do not ever move their legs to walk?

A potentially happy(?) medium that may be too complex is to have both?  An auto-power for people who want to live in their stance, and purchaseable toggles that override it?

1 hour ago, Faultline said:

This is a minor inconvenience* compared to not being able to turn off the ninja run or beast run hunched standing at will.

*not an inconvenience at all

Check out my stories in the Mission Architect. Just search for "@Take One" or "SFMA". Here are some enticing titles:

• Praetoria-related: Earth Revolution Red, Earth Revolution Blue
  • Mercenary Action: West Libertalia: Born And Raised, West Libertalia: Global Empire, West Libertalia: Love And Rockets
  • Soldier of Arachnos Arcs: The Tangled Weave, A Taste For Evil, Faultline By Night, The Warburg Connection,
  • Various: Project Dragon, Evolve Or Die, The Murders in the RWZ Morgue, The Last Crystal Out Of Cimerora

2 minutes ago, Fredpic said:

This is a minor inconvenience* compared to not being able to turn off the ninja run or beast run hunched standing at will.

*not an inconvenience at all

BTW, you can toggle on walk, and it overrides the stance, so that will straighten you up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aethereal said:

BTW, you can toggle on walk, and it overrides the stance, so that will straighten you up.

That's good, but *that* is an inconvenience because it turns off ALL my toggles, not just the stance toggle upon death.

Can we have a power that only turns off the stance auto-power, so we can stand up straight at the flick of a toggle again?

Edited by Fredpic

Check out my stories in the Mission Architect. Just search for "@Take One" or "SFMA". Here are some enticing titles:

• Praetoria-related: Earth Revolution Red, Earth Revolution Blue
  • Mercenary Action: West Libertalia: Born And Raised, West Libertalia: Global Empire, West Libertalia: Love And Rockets
  • Soldier of Arachnos Arcs: The Tangled Weave, A Taste For Evil, Faultline By Night, The Warburg Connection,
  • Various: Project Dragon, Evolve Or Die, The Murders in the RWZ Morgue, The Last Crystal Out Of Cimerora

Stances are great! Looks like we have a few bugs to work out but the idea is fun. Will we be expanding into more down the line? I'd love the undead stance(like the zombies in game use) on quite a few of my chars. Also love the Athletic Run, as the pose for the two others doesn't appeal to most of my chars. I mean, a speedy undead shamble would be ideal but this is a good start. Thanks Devs! = ]

• Like 1

@spiralmenace and @Freakenstein asking the REAL questions!

Nicely done!

Hopefully we'll eventually get all sorts of Stances and run/walk-cycles to play with.

I'm still hoping for the three gendered Walk animations to get similar treatment to this, so my characters can stop doing inappropriate movement.

Edited by CrudeVileTerror
And the other one too!
  • Like 1

• City Council

Most of the NPC stances aren’t usable as they don’t have a full movement set (left, right, and back - NPCs only ever move forwards). This includes Zombies and I think also Ghouls.

If you ever see a GM turn someone into one of those models and they step sideways or backwards, they just awkwardly slide along the ground.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

1 minute ago, Jimmy said:

If you ever see a GM turn someone into one of those models and they step sideways or backwards, they just awkwardly slide along the ground.

Could it be coded to just have the character model rotate to face the direction of movement when there's no appropriate run animation? Or is the code too spaghetti to do that easily?

I'm not an expert, @Vanden, but I don't believe that would be the ideal work-around for this issue.  Rather than a coding solution, a animation kludge might be more appropriate.  Basically take the existing "forward walk" animation and modifying the rotation of it.   It'll still look awkward, but I imagine it would have less overhead and less potential to break than having the code try to perform the visual translation on the fly.

Although, the Walk Power animations are already all complete; they're just gender-locked, which might make for a little skeletal squashing or stretching, but @Piecemeal's recent work seems to suggest that the Devs -do- have something at their disposal to address issues like that.

Just tested the stances:

• Non-Default Stance (Does not seem to be working as intended)
    • If I choose any stance but Default and then toggle on Athletic Run the inherent stance does not change.
      • I choose Ninja Stance and my stance changes.  I toggle on Athletic Run and I continue to run in Ninja Stance.
      • I choose Beast Stance and my stance changes.  I toggle on Athletic Run and I continue to run in Beast Stance.
      • I choose Slide Stance and my stance changes.  I toggle on Athletic Run and I continue to run in Slide Stance.
  • Default Stance (Seems to be working as intended)
    • If I choose Default Stance then toggle on Athletic Run the stance is standard run stance
    • If I choose Default Stance then toggle on Ninja Run the stance is Ninja run stance
    • If I choose Default Stance then toggle on Beast Run the stance is Beast run stance

• City Council
2 minutes ago, Lockpick said:

• Non-Default Stance (Does not seem to be working as intended)
    • If I choose any stance but Default and then toggle on Athletic Run the inherent stance does not change.
      • I choose Ninja Stance and my stance changes.  I toggle on Athletic Run and I continue to run in Ninja Stance.
      • I choose Beast Stance and my stance changes.  I toggle on Athletic Run and I continue to run in Beast Stance.
      • I choose Slide Stance and my stance changes.  I toggle on Athletic Run and I continue to run in Slide Stance.

This is working as intended. Athletic Run deliberately has no impact on your stance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is it possible to divorce the jumping stance from the running/idle stance?  Kind of like how ninja run with prestige slide works, where you slide until you jump and get the cool ninja flippy jump?

I've always *loved* the jump animation from ninja run, but not so much the crouched one hand back tiny steps running animation.

Perhaps you could have idle running stance, jumping animation, and use the fly poses to choose a flying animation?  

More customization is always better and welcome:)

• Like 4

As cool as this overall, being stuck in these special stance's idle animation all the time is weird. Is there any way to modify them so they can be toggled between being active only while moving, sorta like how Path auras can?

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.