Bio/Claws - Looking to Improve my Common IO Build

Cutter

So I like to think that I have a reasonable handle on building acceptable tanks, but this one has me stumped.

She's at 42 right now, running on common IOs only (save 2), and her performance feels awful. I can't maintain Offensive Adaptation or her blue bar drains before the mobs die. Efficient is better on the end, but takes forever to down anything. I solo pretty much exclusively because she, frankly, doesn't feel like a tank at all.

I'd rather try to improve than scrap her if possible. So here I am. Given the common IO limitation, what can I do to improve her performance? (empty slots in HC were for future set IO planning, but can obviously be moved around as needed to improve the current spec)

image.thumb.png.25c2e67e513c3b3286e609c86ecc2399.png

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...

Your single target attacks need End Reduction IOs. Classic slotting after Enhancement Diversification was Acc/End/Rec/Dam/Dam/Dam for a lot of people.  Other than that, perhaps pick up Conserver Power and Psychical Perfection from Energy Mastery. You can always respec into something else later. 

Back fill your defensive powers with more slots.  Grab Parasitic Aura, Absorb is extra hit points. 

Beyond that, adjust your difficulty to what feels efficient.  Play at +1 instead of +2 but maybe up it to x3 or x4. And chew on Inspirations.  Reconsider teaming more. Everyone is a force multiplier, one buffer/debuffer and you might 'feel' much safer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why common only? It's it a ironman challenge thing or lack of funds? Your blue bar woes will disappear simply slotting a Theft of Essence in DNA Siphon.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jaxman100 said:

Your single target attacks need End Reduction IOs. Classic slotting after Enhancement Diversification was Acc/End/Rec/Dam/Dam/Dam for a lot of people.  Other than that, perhaps pick up Conserver Power and Psychical Perfection from Energy Mastery. You can always respec into something else later. 

Back fill your defensive powers with more slots.  Grab Parasitic Aura, Absorb is extra hit points. 

Beyond that, adjust your difficulty to what feels efficient.  Play at +1 instead of +2 but maybe up it to x3 or x4. And chew on Inspirations.  Reconsider teaming more. Everyone is a force multiplier, one buffer/debuffer and you might 'feel' much safer. 

Thanks. I'm so used to sets that endred in the single target attacks clearly eluded me. I hadn't considered Energy Mastery as I hoped to rely on Inexhaustible to carry the extra end burden. And I have Parasitic in the build plan for later, but can always move that up if I'm respeccing anyway. I have to wonder if I've become too reliant on sets to the point that I've forgotten how to properly build "vanilla"?

As far as difficulty goes, it's embarrassing but it's a painful slog on anything more than about +0/x2. Yes I know. You do make a good point about inspirations; I hoard them way too much.

As for feeling safer, it's less about that and more about feeling inadequate to fill the role she's supposed to be built for.

28 minutes ago, Sovera said:

Why common only? It's it a ironman challenge thing or lack of funds? Your blue bar woes will disappear simply slotting a Theft of Essence in DNA Siphon.

Both and neither? Really I just wanted to see what common IOs could do. I've been spoiled with riches in terms of being able to buy set pieces; I figured I might as well go for an "old school +" experience at least once. I can certainly go buy a Theft proc but that feels like it defeats the purpose of the exercise. I'm not completely opposed to the idea, just kinda resistant at this point. Knowing that the option is there just means I can't complain as hard as I might about end woes going forward!

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...

Really a couple of the unique IOs will help layer mitigation.  The +Def and resistance ones plus the tanker resist all ATO. Pricey options but effective. 

My first alt on homecoming was a claws/bio brute.  Love me some claws and hadn't tried bio before. I recall swapping stances a lot, fighting either my blue bar or green bar. I went the cheap IO route for S/L defence eventually. Over all I think I would have rather relearned CoH on a more classic set like Invul. 

More levels means more slots. And it's better to have a well slotted attack chain vs. more attacks. More levels should help.

Others might know Bio better, could be easier with more targets.

You don't necessarily need to be self reliant to tank for a group. Many people play support roles. Fortitude solves a lot of issues. The hero archetypes always had grouping in mind.

Edited by Jaxman100

Slash, Spin, Follow Up, and Focus all drop 1 Damage and put in End Reduction.

Follow Up drops the other Damage for a Recharge.

Move the two empty slots to Siphon.

If you need more, look at swapping a Damage for End Reduction in Eviscerate, or similar tactic in Tough or Manuevers. Consider making Inexhaustible two End Mods instead of one Heal one End Mod.

Absorb is a MUST.  It is your Dull Pain and your Regen benefits from more hp.  

Edited by Max Firepower
  • Thanks 1