Blue and Red (and Gold?) : The Myth

UltraAlt

I will start out by saying that I have never liked the use of the terms Blue and Red in regards to which "side" a character is on or looking for a group. (no need to go into you Praetorians as you are all but non-existent, but enjoy playing the game the way you like).

I feel the use of Blue and Red undermines what the game is about. Heroes fighting against the forces of evil and villainy. This is why City of Heroes was created.

I'm not trying to knock those that want to play villains. The game aspect is there. Enjoy it if you like it, but you are a villain and not "red".

So where did this red/blue thing come from?

It's pretty simple. Red is 3 letters. Villain is 7 letters. People are lazy. (Especially villains?)

Hero is 4 letters, and so is blue. No advantage to a hero to call themselves blue unless they are sad.

With less than 30% of the population being villains, there is no reason for heroes to bother adding "blue" when asking for teams.

It can be assumed that you are looking for a hero team. (and certainly not a Praetorian team. Sorry Praetorians.)

Villains can keep saying "red" because they are too lazy to type "villain" or to avoid admitting that they are playing villains.

If you are "red", you are a villian.

City of HEROES. Not City of BLUES.

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 11
  • Sad 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

ROFLMAO.

And that's all you're getting.  All Hail Emperor Cole.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

25 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

Villains can keep saying "red" because they are too lazy to type "villain" or to avoid admitting that they are playing villains.

You say, "villain", I say "independent contractor".

We say red because that's what we're leaving you on.

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

Last year you would see people recruiting for DFB teams every couple of minutes non-stop. On both sides. So you'd have a hero side DFB fishing and a villain would send a tell and then they'd do the "I can't invite you" dance. So to clarify things they'd just say "LF3M DFB (blue)" and be done with it. If it is that big of a hardship, you can edit chat tabs to remove channels that offend you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think that the game has had a very strong Red/Blue/Gold theming for many years.

It's clear that the developers and designers of the game have used those colours for a long time.

It's even the default GUI colour if you make a new toon.

spacer.png

And with rogues and vigilantes, the lines have become more blurred.

I mostly play "heroes", even when back on live, I had some friends who mostly wanted to play villains, my characters would always rescue people, and let people live to face justice.

My "red side" characters usually are just those that haven't had a lot of luck in life. I can't play a proper sociopath or psychopath.

And there are many in superhero comic books and movies, who also blur the lines.

Personally, I really prefer the stories in Praetoria, to many stories in either Paragon City or the Rogue Isles.

I play a lot of Praetorians as a result. A lot in Mercy are especially bad: how many snake invested caves are there?

Edited by RogerWilco
  • Like 1

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

BlueYellowRed.png.cffb9b692dd0484133ca1d9ee2c8c4ce.png

The Praetorian stories are definitely good.  More people should play Gold!

• Like 3

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

1 hour ago, Darmian said:

The Praetorian stories are definitely good.  More people should play Gold!

Right. Picking flowers for your contact's lady friend is right up there. 🤪

I dislike gold side. I hate the factions and the attitudes. The only good thing about it is the updated graphics, which can be, and was beginning to, done to red and blue.

Gold Hamidon can finish eating (or whatever he does) all of Praetoria, rename himself Gaia, and fade into obscurity. 

8 minutes ago, gamingglen said:

Right. Picking flowers for your contact's lady friend is right up there. 🤪

I dislike gold side. I hate the factions and the attitudes. The only good thing about it is the updated graphics, which can be, and was beginning to, done to red and blue.

Gold Hamidon can finish eating (or whatever he does) all of Praetoria, rename himself Gaia, and fade into obscurity. 

Your opinion is noted.

14 minutes ago, CrudeVileTerror said:

No no no no no!

Look . . .

You've gone and staked your claim on the wrong hill to die upon.

We all know that when it comes down to the colour shorthand for the various sides, there's really only ONE debate worth having:

It's YELLOWside, -not- goldside!

*plants bigger flag on this hill*

You're all mishearing, it's not GOLD side, it's COLE side.

• Haha 3

I don't identify red,blue, or gold even though I start all my toons on goldside because it is more interesting over there.  I wish more people played redside, but I know that if i do get on a team, it'll go for a bit because nobody knows how long it'll be before you get on another.  Yeah, i play blueside a lot also, but all the while commenting to myself how my teammates don't have what it takes to play redside.

You can take that blue is better attitude to a pvp zone, see what happens to you.

I have, and I imagine many do this, toons that are Blue only, Red only, and Gold only.  Toons that are Rogues, toons that are vigilantes, toons that made the crossing from Praetoria and are now whatever, toons that use Null, toons that only cross via tips/morality missions, Gold Resistance, Gold Loyalists, Gold incarnate.  Toons following the VEAT and the WS/PB storylines. A toon that was dropped into Galaxy via the base portal at level 1 and went street sweeping, and is there still patrolling the past, that poor level 8 MM Ninja toon. An entire smorgasbord of what you can do, not even adding in how the ATs affect how things play out, blah blah.  Everyone really should at least try variations because you might be surprised, you might not and it may reinforce your previous opinion.  Whatever.  Play how you like and try not to piss people off, bearing in mind some are, and no it's not PC to say this, but some are just natural gobshites and should be avoided.

Other than that if you don't like Gold then you're simply wrong. I can't help you. Tsk.  😛 I

Edited by Darmian
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CrudeVileTerror said:

No no no no no!

Look . . .

You've gone and staked your claim on the wrong hill to die upon.

We all know that when it comes down to the colour shorthand for the various sides, there's really only ONE debate worth having:

It's YELLOWside, -not- goldside!

*plants bigger flag on this hill*

Sounds like we need a green side.

For the Horde! - Oh sorry, wrong game.

• Haha 1

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

BlueYellowRed.png.cffb9b692dd0484133ca1d9ee2c8c4ce.png

Less than 30% of the population is villains.

There is no need for the heroes to identify that they are running a hero team when recruiting when 70% of the players are playing heroes.

And, yes, one expect villainy from villains so of course they are complaining. So rough got get arrested for doing crimes. I know, villains, you don't deserve to pay the time for your crimes.

As for the Praetorians, I'm glad all those that play Praetorians have posted on this thread. Why you don't want to be "gold" for your selfless act of being Praetorians can not be understood for by non-Praetorians.

Heroes!

You know what I say is true. No need to say blue. If you have to type four letters make them be "hero" instead of "blue". You don't even have to type "side"

/macro LFT "lfg Level $level $archetype hero looking for team."

No need to bow down to the 30% that want to be villians. Because, after all, they are villains.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

3 hours ago, LiquidBandage said:

Last year you would see people recruiting for DFB teams every couple of minutes non-stop. On both sides. So you'd have a hero side DFB fishing and a villain would send a tell and then they'd do the "I can't invite you" dance. So to clarify things they'd just say "LF3M DFB (blue)" and be done with it. If it is that big of a hardship, you can edit chat tabs to remove channels that offend you.

Works better simply to put those on ignore that offend you.

I'm not going to jail a whole town just because of a couple of bank-robbing, leg-breaking villains are committing crimes in it.

6 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

Less than 30% of the population is villains.

There is no need for the heroes to identify that they are running a hero team when recruiting when 70% of the players are playing heroes.

And, yes, one expect villainy from villains so of course they are complaining. So rough got get arrested for doing crimes. I know, villains, you don't deserve to pay the time for your crimes.

As for the Praetorians, I'm glad all those that play Praetorians have posted on this thread. Why you don't want to be "gold" for your selfless act of being Praetorians can not be understood for by non-Praetorians.

Heroes!

You know what I say is true. No need to say blue. If you have to type four letters make them be "hero" instead of "blue". You don't even have to type "side"

/macro LFT "lfg Level $level $archetype hero looking for team."

No need to bow down to the 30% that want to be villians. Because, after all, they are villains.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The heroes are called "Blue" because they are sad and pathetic, imagine standing underneath a statue talking about your catgurl, RP'n that your Billy badass superman wannabe, repeating some lame ass missions from some cardboard contacts and picking your nose. Blah...

"Red" is passion and spirit! Fun times do whatever you want and ultimately if we are so bad then why do we permanently get rid of the villains while "blue side" wastes tax payer dollars putting them in a prison that has more holes than a piece of Swiss cheese. Yeah we rob banks but hey the Rogue Isles economy sucks.

"Gold" side yeah "F" Cole freaking pervo incest ass. Just cause its shiny doesn't means its great, you ever heard you can't polish a turd?

😜😚

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

35 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

If I may, for the sake of discussion, just offer a calm friendly rebuttal to this one particular point:

BOW DOWN BEFORE MY VILLAINOUS MIGHT!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

My villains all play on the blue side, because they're sneaky like that. You never see them...stealing all your loots.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty