Blue and Red (and Gold?) : The Myth

UltraAlt

18 minutes ago, The_Warpact said:

The heroes are called "Blue" because they are sad and pathetic, imagine standing underneath a statue talking about your catgurl, RP'n that your Billy badass superman wannabe, repeating some lame ass missions from some cardboard contacts and picking your nose. Blah...

"Red" is passion and spirit! Fun times do whatever you want and ultimately if we are so bad then why do we permanently get rid of the villains while "blue side" wastes tax payer dollars putting them in a prison that has more holes than a piece of Swiss cheese. Yeah we rob banks but hey the Rogue Isles economy sucks.

"Gold" side yeah "F" Cole freaking pervo incest ass. Just cause its shiny doesn't means its great, you ever heard you can't polish a turd?

😜😚

Ceapaim go bhfuil tu ag caint as do thón.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

9 minutes ago, Lines said:

If I may, for the sake of discussion, just offer a calm friendly rebuttal to this one particular point:

BOW DOWN BEFORE MY VILLAINOUS MIGHT!

And, so we see the true villainous intent yet again.

Is there any more reason for the heroes to stand for this and be blue/sad simply due to the threat and demands of villains?

Threats and demands are what villains do.

I don't bring you threats or demands.

You are heroes. There is no reason to be blue. Rise up and be the heroes that you are. 

Don't support their conspiracy. You are heroes not blue.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

1 minute ago, The_Warpact said:

go raibh maith agat

Ach, tá an teanga agat!  Bualadh bos!

• Like 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

"Dull" is a much better four letter word to describe blue or hero side.  Whenever I form up a WST TF, I advertise it as the "Dull side WST" in LFG and the Excelsior and Excelsior Badges global channels.

Amusingly, everyone knows exactly what side I'm referring to.

Edited by Apparition
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, there you have it, heroes.

The villains pretty admit to their nefariousness.

You are heroes and not blue, and 70% of the servers' populations. 

Of course, they might mess with teams forming, but they can do that regardless.

If they want to hide behind "red", well ... isn't that what they do anyway?

Don't call yourself blue. You are a hero. Be proud. Admit you are a hero. 

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

4 hours ago, KC4800 said:

My villains all play on the blue side, because they're sneaky like that. You never see them...stealing all your loots.

You're more likely not able to find anyone to game with on the Dark side ... I mean Villain side.

25 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

If they want to hide behind "red", well ... isn't that what they do anyway?

Don't call yourself blue. You are a hero. Be proud. Admit you are a hero. 

Lord Recluse's Grandville speech says otherwise.

https://archive.paragonwiki.com/w/images//8/8a/Grandville_RecluseVO3_loop.ogg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excelsior Server: Giovanni Valia, Operative Velez, Fortunata Valeri, LongFang Mercer

SG: Shades of Arachnos; 315-6811

6 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

Less than 30% of the population is villains.

There is no need for the heroes to identify that they are running a hero team when recruiting when 70% of the players are playing heroes.

When someone's talking about synapse or LRSF? No.

When someone's talking about DFB? Yes, they should.

Use what's needed when clarification is needed.

• Like 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

30 minutes ago, Greycat said:

When someone's talking about synapse or LRSF? No.

When someone's talking about DFB? Yes, they should.

Use what's needed when clarification is needed.

Unfortunately, I have discovered that it is needed to add “*RED SIDE*” (yes, in all caps), whenever advertising a Strike Force because if you don’t, you are almost guaranteed to get at least one person who will respond that they want in, have no idea how to get to Sharkhead/Grandville/wherever, discover that he or she is blue side, tell him or her how to get to Sharkhead/Grandville/wherever, wait ten minutes, and then either the person has logged or you will get a tell from him or her with something like, “My SG is calling.  I have to go, bye.”

Since I started adding “*RED SIDE*” to all Strike Force advertisements, that nonsense has been cut down very significantly, but even then I still occasionally get it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Apparition said:

Unfortunately, I have discovered that it is needed to add “*RED SIDE*” (yes, in all caps), whenever advertising a Strike Force because if you don’t, you are almost guaranteed to get at least one person who will respond that they want in, have no idea how to get to Sharkhead/Grandville/wherever, discover that he or she is blue side, tell him or her how to get to Sharkhead/Grandville/wherever, wait ten minutes, and then either the person has logged or you will get a tell from him or her with something like, “My SG is calling.  I have to go, bye.”

Since I started adding “*RED SIDE*” to all Strike Force advertisements, that nonsense has been cut down very significantly, but even then I still occasionally get it.

No no no. That isn't what UltraAlt is arguing/advocating here. The point under contention by the OP is that there is no need for anyone recruiting Hero side to state that it is "blue" because the player population skew is such that it should be assumed all calls for recruitment are for Hero-side content. Clarifying that you are recruiting for a Strike Force should by its nature imply it is for Villains and there is no need to further perpetuate these colorist labels. By supporting this colorist labeling regime, you are breathing life into narrative that there is more than one way to describe something. 

1 hour ago, Luminara said:

Red + Blue + Gold = Purple Gold

Or, the LA Lakers? (Pure villains if there ever were some):-)

• Haha 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

15 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

I will start out by saying that I have never liked the use of the terms Blue and Red in regards to which "side" a character is on or looking for a group. (no need to go into you Praetorians as you are all but non-existent, but enjoy playing the game the way you like).

I feel the use of Blue and Red undermines what the game is about. Heroes fighting against the forces of evil and villainy. This is why City of Heroes was created.

I'm not trying to knock those that want to play villains. The game aspect is there. Enjoy it if you like it, but you are a villain and not "red".

So where did this red/blue thing come from?

It's pretty simple. Red is 3 letters. Villain is 7 letters. People are lazy. (Especially villains?)

Hero is 4 letters, and so is blue. No advantage to a hero to call themselves blue unless they are sad.

With less than 30% of the population being villains, there is no reason for heroes to bother adding "blue" when asking for teams.

It can be assumed that you are looking for a hero team. (and certainly not a Praetorian team. Sorry Praetorians.)

Villains can keep saying "red" because they are too lazy to type "villain" or to avoid admitting that they are playing villains.

If you are "red", you are a villian.

City of HEROES. Not City of BLUES.

/jranger

• Thanks 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

2 hours ago, Luminara said:

Red + Blue + Gold = Purple Gold

Gentian Violet ends up creating this odd, purple and gold semi-metallic sort of effect when it dries on glass. I imagine it looking a lot like that. 

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

You know, I've always kinda considered it this horrible personal irony that red is my least favourite colour, but I absolutely adore playing villain content in this game.

And yet?   I've never really had a problem with calling it "Redside" before.

And after a thread like this?   Well, I guess I'm just going to have to double-down on Redside, Redside, Redside.

2 minutes ago, mechahamham said:

Metallurgy's a heck of a thing, ain't it? Add a little bit of aluminum to your alloy mix and, blam, purple. More copper, pink.

One of the things on my bucket list is to make a brake rotor forge and play around with different metals and alloys.  Reading and watching is one thing, doing is another.

Also, there's gold in these here hills.  There were mines a few miles north of my land, more scattered further south.  I'd like to have a way to do something with it if I ever found any ore or flake.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

9 minutes ago, Luminara said:

One of the things on my bucket list is to make a brake rotor forge and play around with different metals and alloys.  Reading and watching is one thing, doing is another.

Also, there's gold in these here hills.  There were mines a few miles north of my land, more scattered further south.  I'd like to have a way to do something with it if I ever found any ore or flake.

I hear if you dig deeper you can even find Diamonds!

18 minutes ago, Apogee said:

I hear if you dig deeper you can even find Diamonds!

No kimberlite pipes around here.  And I wouldn't know what specific geological features to look for beyond that.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.