Blue and Red (and Gold?) : The Myth

UltraAlt

21 hours ago, Giovanni Valia said:

Lord Recluse's Grandville speech says otherwise.

https://archive.paragonwiki.com/w/images//8/8a/Grandville_RecluseVO3_loop.ogg

Lord Recluse is a villain. Obviously, he is pro-villain and anti-hero.

Lord Recluse never said that the Blue Side was weak. He never says Blue.

Nor does he use the term "red" for Villains.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

21 hours ago, Krimson said:

My main's name IS Blue. 😄 Good luck with this particular crusade. Years of working in a bakery have wrecked my hands so I type in a way that's convenient. 

In now way am I attacking anyone for having disabilities.

Play the game the way you enjoy it.

We all have a responsibility to express our views when we feel we need to do so.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

20 hours ago, Greycat said:

When someone's talking about synapse or LRSF? No.

When someone's talking about DFB? Yes, they should.

Use what's needed when clarification is needed.

I agree - if they are playing on the villain side.

18 hours ago, LiquidBandage said:

By supporting this colorist labeling regime, you are breathing life into narrative that there is more than one way to describe something. 

The first part of your post is correct.

To me it isn't a matter of using another descriptor, it is removing the superhero mythology by not gaming as Heroes and Villains but rather and different colors.

In superhero comic books, the heroes are not "blue" and villains are not "red". There are heroes and villains and that is basis of the superhero mythology.

I agree that there are retconning deconstructionist that want to turn it all into a gray scrambled muck where there is little to discern a hero from a villain.

There is an actual play wall that you have to breach using Null the Gull or the alignment system to pass through.

Heroes are heros.

Villains are villains.

There are those that are on there way one way or the other, but there is not really any grey area. You are a villain moving toward doing good in the world, or a hero moving toward criminality. There is no true neutral position between the two.

And for those that think they are sneaking around on the Hero side stealing stuff, you are working for the force of good by defeating the forces of Evil.

Come to think of it, half the time people are running around as villains, they are actually fighting other villains... go figure.

28 minutes ago, Twisted Toon said:

Does that mean you're an English teacher?

I'm sure nearly all English teachers care as well.

No it means I am a caring person who cares.

Everyone out there who thinks nobody cares how they use language, nobody cares if they log in today and play, nobody cares if they show up, nobody cares about them at all, its a slippery slope and I care.  I care!

Also, I have been known to correct some language issues now and again.  😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/11/2020 at 1:04 AM, Luminara said:

No kimberlite pipes around here.  And I wouldn't know what specific geological features to look for beyond that.

I'm afraid I don't understand the geologic processes that are responsible for 'veiny' metals other than 'a bunch of gold got dissolved in really hot water a long time ago'. As for natural diamonds, I can't imagine that they're terribly rare if you've got SOME kind of coal/carboniferous deposit, but that digging around in coal is a real good way to tear up your lungs.

2 hours ago, mechahamham said:

I'm afraid I don't understand the geologic processes that are responsible for 'veiny' metals other than 'a bunch of gold got dissolved in really hot water a long time ago'.

Some veins and deposits happen that way, typically when superheated steam or water passes through ore deposits.  Some are organic in origin, deposits from single-celled organisms which utilized a mineral or element while alive, sank to the ocean floor when they died and were later buried under more layers, then tectonic activity, and brought to or close to the surface tens or hundreds of millions of years later.  Some are caused by natural separation of materials, heavier minerals and elements sinking lower in a magma pocket while lighter ones rise to the top, creating veins and layers naturally.  One process of vein and deposit formation is even happening right now, with single-celled bacteria eating rock, concentrating things like gold in their guts and leaving behind veins when the bacterial colony dies.

2 hours ago, mechahamham said:

As for natural diamonds, I can't imagine that they're terribly rare if you've got SOME kind of coal/carboniferous deposit

Well, the process of diamond formation isn't quite the same as the process of coal formation.  Diamonds require significantly higher heat and pressure to form, to such a degree that real diamonds aren't actually found in coal mines, they're found in the remnants of extinct volcanoes and ancient magma deposits.  That's what a kimberlite pipe is, the trace remains of the magma corridor which fed a volcano, carrying things like diamonds when magmatic upwellings occur.  When diamonds are found on or near the surface, it's because weathering has eroded the stone which brought them to the surface and trapped them.

In the abyssal formation of diamonds, it's not actual pieces of carbon material being crushed together, rather, it's carbon gases, like CO and CO2, compressed and heated and molecularly altered until the carbon atoms bond with one another in a very specific way.  Coal forms at lower temperatures and pressures, through the repeated deposition of layers of carbon-rich organic material (plants, animals, poop (fossilized poop is called a coprolite)).  A peat bog is a coal seam that never quite finished, for instance.

>.>

<.<

I have a diverse range of interests.

Edited by Luminara
One "it" slipped through the proofread. So I killed "it".
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Honestly can’t tell if the OP is trolling or not. You’d think something like this would be obvious, but sometimes people can surprise you.  

This sounds somewhat reminiscent of the east/west versus grass/snow argument in SWTOR. Most people gravitated toward snow/grass because it was easier for people to understand and identify faster. Red/blue is just easier to type. That’s said, it honestly don’t matter. 

16 hours ago, Saikochoro said:

Honestly can’t tell if the OP is trolling or not. You’d think something like this would be obvious, but sometimes people can surprise you.  

This sounds somewhat reminiscent of the east/west versus grass/snow argument in SWTOR. Most people gravitated toward snow/grass because it was easier for people to understand and identify faster. Red/blue is just easier to type. That’s said, it honestly don’t matter. 

"Blue" is so much easier to type than "hero"?

9 minutes ago, The_Warpact said:

"Red" vs "villain "....I about died having to type out "villain ", its just too long...😉😀

Like I said, villains are lazy.

1 hour ago, The_Warpact said:

"Red" vs "villain "....I about died having to type out "villain ", its just too long...😉😀

Villain side being "redside" was also a bit of a joke early on after the release of CoV, because it seemed as if every other villain character had a black and red outfit theme; it was a bit of a jab at the people who couldn't come up with any way to convey 'villainy' without being all dark and gloomy and brooding.

1 hour ago, srmalloy said:

Villain side being "redside" was also a bit of a joke early on after the release of CoV, because it seemed as if every other villain character had a black and red outfit theme; it was a bit of a jab at the people who couldn't come up with any way to convey 'villainy' without being all dark and gloomy and brooding.

Very true, it was black and red or black and white. I always thought the ones wearing suits to me were more sinister.

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

33 minutes ago, The_Warpact said:

I always thought the ones wearing suits to me were more sinister.

*ring ring*
"Hello?"
"Hi, I'm with the IRS, we'd like to audit your filings for the last seven years."
*terrified screaming ensues*

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Luminara said:

*ring ring*
"Hello?"
"Hi, I'm with the IRS, we'd like to audit your filings for the last seven years."
*terrified screaming ensues*

Oh lawdy ain't that the truth...guess that's where the men in black fear back in the 50-60's came from.

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

2 hours ago, The_Warpact said:

Oh lawdy ain't that the truth...guess that's where the men in black fear back in the 50-60's came from.

That actually traces back to the Prohibition era.  Making and moving alcohol illegally was a ticket to big payoffs in that period.  Moonshine makers/runners used it as a means of getting by, criminal organizations in cities used it to amass wealth and power, and the government blundered on, unaware of the mess they were creating (organized crime and political corruption reached incredible highs due to Prohibition).  When and where government officials found liquor, they'd smash barrels and bottles, destroy stills and arrest/fine everyone they could charge with an offense.  This led to people referring to government officials as G-men or Feds.  They were more hated and feared than tax collectors, who were already considered "the bad guys" by many.

The Roswell incident, which all evidence indicates really was just a weather balloon, did help cement the idea of men in black being secretive government officials, but the foundation for the idea was born during Prohibition.

I did mention that my interests were diverse.  >.>

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/10/2020 at 2:48 AM, UltraAlt said:

I will start out by saying that I have never liked the use of the terms Blue and Red in regards to which "side" a character is on or looking for a group. (no need to go into you Praetorians as you are all but non-existent, but enjoy playing the game the way you like).

I feel the use of Blue and Red undermines what the game is about. Heroes fighting against the forces of evil and villainy. This is why City of Heroes was created.

I'm not trying to knock those that want to play villains. The game aspect is there. Enjoy it if you like it, but you are a villain and not "red".

So where did this red/blue thing come from?

It's pretty simple. Red is 3 letters. Villain is 7 letters. People are lazy. (Especially villains?)

Hero is 4 letters, and so is blue. No advantage to a hero to call themselves blue unless they are sad.

With less than 30% of the population being villains, there is no reason for heroes to bother adding "blue" when asking for teams.

It can be assumed that you are looking for a hero team. (and certainly not a Praetorian team. Sorry Praetorians.)

Villains can keep saying "red" because they are too lazy to type "villain" or to avoid admitting that they are playing villains.

If you are "red", you are a villian.

City of HEROES. Not City of BLUES.

You are obviously not ex military. they understand blue force/red force

• Like 2

On 11/14/2020 at 5:32 PM, ivanhedgehog said:

You are obviously not ex military. they understand blue force/red force

I'm not sure what being ex military or not has to do with understanding blue and red forces.

The red forces are the enemy.

It's that way in most video games.

Heck, it was like that on old game board with chits battle simulations. But people would be saying at they were playing the Allies or the Axis and not the Blues and the Reds.

70% of the player base is playing heroes at any given time.

There is no need for heroes to use the term Blue.

Hero and Blue has the same number of characters.

They are playing heroes, not blues.

If you are running a team and recruiting, it can be assumed that you are running a hero team unless you say otherwise.

I'm not going to team with sad people.

• Confused 1